daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM   #6861
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
To american:

Which could be the cities for 2020?

San Francisco and then?

I think in 2020 or in Europe or in India.
In America I think the following cities should place a bid:

Washington DC
San Francisco
Philadelphia
San Diego
Hawaii

In terms of the rest of the world:

Nairobi
Cairo
New Delhi
Paris
Dubai
Osaka
Toronto
Doha
Johannesburg
Istanbul

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6862
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapow32 View Post
Whatever, we'll just win all the medals again.
No ! China will !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6863
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
hey c'mon I dont think it was so much anti-American sentiment, more pro-South America-holding-it-the-first-time sentiment that tipped the scales (The US having held the Olympics as recently as 2002 didn't help either). -Just look at the final score, with Rio getting twice the votes as Madrid, and before that more than twice Tokyo's. In short there was no real contest, it was always going to be Rio, especially after the first round. Those who voted for Chicago and Tokyo almost all voted for Rio.

Look at the scores - this was always going to be a Rio versus Madrid contest from the start.

Round 1

Chicago 18
Rio 26
Madrid 28
Tokyo 22

Round 2

Madrid 29
Rio 46
Tokyo 20

Round 3

Rio 66
Madrid 32

The people who voted for Chicago mostly voted for Rio in the second round
Well it’s a pretty sad when New York gained more votes for 2012 on a laughable bid, than Chicago did this time around. That means we’re only going backwards.

And I would love to have San Francisco hold one, but the city has a lot of work to do before it’s up to par with any of the bidding cities this time around. I don’t expect any American cities to even try to bid again for quite a long time. And I really don't think Chicago is going to have another chance soon.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6864
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

2020 I think may well go to Cape Town, the first African city to hold the Olympic Games, and thus all five rings of the Olympic logo finally being represented. Given that South Africa can hold the world's biggest sporting event in the form of the World Cup 2010, it will have a good chance for taking a shot at an Olympic bid.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #6865
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEincorparated View Post
Go Rio!

Finally it's the United States turn to suffer.

yeah, we'll suffer with the world's largest economy, the best athletes, and the largest companies (who are the main sponsors of the olympics)
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #6866
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3346

I think we should wait first how the WC in SA actually goes.

Considering the additional work that Rio requires of the IOC they will probably go for an obvious city with ready built infrastructure.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6867
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
2020 I think may well go to Cape Town, the first African city to hold the Olympic Games, and thus all five rings of the Olympic logo finally being represented. Given that South Africa can hold the world's biggest sporting event in the form of the World Cup 2010, it will have a good chance for taking a shot at an Olympic bid.
Then it's probably going back to China, or Europe again, assuming Cape Town gets 2020.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM   #6868
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
They already hate us, we have nothing to loose. It's not like they’re going to vote for another American city next time, no one is going to want to vote for an American city because they're going to think no other IOC members are going to want to. It's not going to change any time soon. Our cities don't need the Olympics to be sucessful. If Chicago can't even get to the final round is useless. That's the best possible bid we can put forward! The money we spend on bidding is just going to be a waste.
After the massive failure of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, they have good reason to avoid American cities for a while. Sad, but true.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6869
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
After the massive failure of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, they have good reason to avoid American cities for a while. Sad, but true.
It wasn't a massive failure! There was a bomb incident, do you really think after 9/11 they would allow something like that would happen again? It's unlikely.

Last edited by Onn; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6870
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

I think the one thing that wins it for many bid cities is x-factor. Rio pretty much had it by dint of its geopolitics already- a city that will not just represent Brazil, but an entire continent's first time, and of course its reputation for passion and unique topography helped also. Beijing 2008 had the same lines - a first for China, and an unofficial coming out party for a new superpower - in short an extra dimension to any bid.

London managed to scrape through largely thanks to its branding of the bid and video, which, unprecedentedly, completely ignored the city itself but focused on the legacy of holding Games (cue shots of disadvantaged children from round the globe going on to Olympic gold later in their lives). Compare that with Paris's flawless video of stunning city shots etc, and even though Paris had the more superior facilities, and more beautiful city, London appealed to the emotions.

In the same way today, the best bid (in terms of facilities etc) was Tokyo, by far. but of course Tokyo's lacked the 'x-factor' - great on paper, less great on the senses.

Sydney won in 2000 due to the then unprecedented promise to hold completely 'green' Games, a stand-out claim that gave the city bid a whole new dimension rather than the ticking off of sites, facilities etc. It notably contrasted with runner-up, Beijing 2000's flawless but otherwise lacklustre bid back then, and hence why it won.

I think NYC has the best bet to stage such a bid, NYC oozes appeal - holding the Games in a highrise crowded city, an island setting with lots of water, lots of culture and art - but also the edge. NYC's last bid failed mainly due to facilities, and local opposition to the plans, and also too close a proximity to Salt Lake City 2002 - but even then it was always a real fight between London and Paris, whose bids presented priceless, never-before-seen backdrops of the Eiffel Tower or Royal palaces for events.

NYC can take on a better standing from now, far enough from 2002, and hopefully with a better realised bid.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #6871
RobH

Likes (Received): 10600

SLC was a massive success and they're the most recent US games.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6872
Vicman
La capital rielera

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
In America I think the following cities should place a bid:

Washington DC
San Francisco
Philadelphia
San Diego
Hawaii

In terms of the rest of the world:

Nairobi
Cairo
New Delhi
Paris
Dubai
Osaka
Toronto
Doha
Johannesburg
Istanbul

Hey you!!!! If you don't know...America is all the entire continent not just US,
and I think in "AMERICA"...potential cities could be:

Buenos Aires
Santiago
Sao Paulo
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Toronto
NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.

From capital mix, cradle of the nation! ::: DESDE LA CAPITAL DEL MESTIZAJE, CUNA DE LA NACIÓN!
Vicman no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #6873
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

BOSTON 2020! I'm serious, it's very possible.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6874
toddhubert

Likes (Received): 20

congratulations! Rio! the same result as I expected! glad to hear that China also voted for Rio
toddhubert no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM   #6875
dacrio

Likes (Received): 0

go venice!!! or rome!!!
dacrio no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6876
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
[b]
I think NYC has the best bet to stage such a bid, NYC oozes appeal - holding the Games in a highrise crowded city, an island setting with lots of water, lots of culture and art - but also the edge. NYC's last bid failed mainly due to facilities, and local opposition to the plans, and also too close a proximity to Salt Lake City 2002 - but even then it was always a real fight between London and Paris, whose bids presented priceless, never-before-seen backdrops of the Eiffel Tower or Royal palaces for events.

NYC can take on a better standing from now, far enough from 2002, and hopefully with a better realised bid.
I don't know, I'm skeptical of New York right now. It has the charm no doubt, it's also one of the densest and politically entangled cities in the world. An Olympics would be no small task, they can't even rebuild the WTC. I think New York will hold one some day just because they haven't yet (much the same as Brazil’s argument this time around), but I would not count on that happening in the next 30 years.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6877
lemog

Likes (Received): 645

Well, I'm very happy we won!

In my opinion, all of the cities deserved the Olympics. But it's fair to be in Rio since we've put all the effort on getting it, because it was the biggest chance to a South American city getting the Olympics.

I was very surprised seeing Chicago being the first out indeed, but don't think this is due to anti-americanism, american cities will always have good chances. And Obama staying this little time didn't help.

Madrid had a very good bid, but wasn't a good timing. I think that they are serious contenders for 2020, or for 2024, if 2020 don't get to be on Europe.
lemog no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #6878
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Hey you!!!! If you don't know...America is all the entire continent not just US,
and I think in "AMERICA"...potential cities could be:

Buenos Aires
Santiago
Sao Paulo
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Toronto
NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
I ment US but you're right.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #6879
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Beijing was also "politically entangled", density also has no effect on choosing a city for the Olympics, besides, there's plenty of low density land around New York if they can't find a place to build the stadiums.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM   #6880
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

X-Factor/ added dimension:

Sydney 2000 - the world's first 'Green Games'

Athens 2004 - returning the Olympics 'home'

Beijing 2008 - coming out party for a new superpower

Paris 2012 - priceless backdrops to iconic sites, eg fencing under the Eiffel Tower... but was pipped by...

...London 2012 - bid ignored the city itself for the first time, and concentrated on the global sporting and humanitarian legacy

Brazil 2016 - first Games for a long overlooked continent. One of the Olympic rings (for each continent) finally represented.

From now on, the bids will become truly global as the world rises collectively to be able to hold international games, and fill the gaps long overlooked by a default West-centric Olympic history.

Cape Town 2020? - first African city to host for the continent?

Istanbul/ Dubai 2024? First Islamic nation to host a Games?

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016