daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6881
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
X-Factor/ added dimension:

Sydney 2000 - the world's first 'Green Games'

Athens 2004 - returning the Olympics 'home'

Beijing 2008 - coming out party for a new superpower

Paris 2012 - priceless backdrops to iconic sites, eg fencing under the Eiffel Tower... but was pipped by...

...London 2012 - bid ignored the city itself for the first time, and concentrated on the global sporting and humanitarian legacy

Brazil 2016 - first Games for a long overlooked continent

Cape Town 2020? - first African city to host for the continent?
DC 2020 - Olympics held in the capital of the most powerful nation on earth.

Dubai 2024 - First Olympics in the Middle East

Jo'burg 2028 - First Olympics in Africa

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6882
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
I think initiating financial retaliation would be the worst possible thing the USA could do. It would play right into the hands of anti-American sentiment.

Also, calling the voting process "corrupt" is a bit hyperbolic. How is it corrupt that they vote for the city they want to vote for? What needs to be changed is getting them to want to vote for a US city not the voting process itself.

Even though I think it will be a waste of time given the current world wide sentiments I wouldn't doubt some US city will want to bid on 2020 (though I'm racking my brain on what cities would be viable candidates since Chicago's $450 billion wasn't enough and only LA and New York are richer). Whether the USOC will go along is another matter.
I think financial retaliation is the way the USOC will go. They hold to much financial power over the IOC and will use it leverage more power in the IOC, not just with regards to Olympic bids, but just more power in the IOC overall. The USOC has been frustrated at their lack of influence in the IOC for a while now and I expect this to be the thing that pushes them over the edge so they stop trying to cooperate and start leveraging the power they have. Because they likely won't bid on a games for a while, losing some goodwill isn't the detriment it once was. Here comes the Olympic channel, strong national ties to the TV networks and increased national instead of international sponsorships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Onn, you're being stupid. Would the IOC be anti-Japanese if they'd gone out first or anti-Spanish if they'd gone out first and would you support retaliation from them? Pipe down and stop being such a poor loser. Chicago was unlucky that it was the first city out, but one had to be unfortunately.
I don't think there's any doubt that there is anti-American sentiment in the IOC, but not in the worldwide political sense that many associate with the anti-American sentiment. The USOC and IOC have been battling for years now and have rarely seen eye to eye in the last decade. You can argue that the IOC has been uncooperative or that the USOC is unfairly pressuring an international committee, but within the IOC there is an anti-American sentiment for direct relationship issues. Would better relations with the IOC have helped the Chicago bid? Probably, but that alone is not reason for Chicago not winning the bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmalover View Post
Naw.. Just because the US didn't win this time doesn't mean that the Olympic games will never come back to the US. Have some perspective, the US has had more Olympic Games (summer+ winter) than any other country. It's just time for other countries to host and Rio is an awesome place to visit. You know, you can't win them all.. I'm sure we'll win either 2020 or 2024.
It would require us to bid in 2020 or 2024 for us to win. I doubt that we see a US bid in either year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
To american:

Which could be the cities for 2020?

San Francisco and then?

I think in 2020 or in Europe or in India.
San Francisco does not have the money to go forward with a bid at the moment and the State of California certainly does not have the funds to help. A San Francisco bid would not gain near enough support necessary to put forward a quality bid.

New York does not have the need for a stadium now that the Meadowlands Stadium is being built and it's highly doubtful that they would push a temporary stadium. The death of the Westside Stadium for the 2012 bid was not only the death of the 2012 bid, but any NY Olympic bid in the near future.

Los Angeles would have to fight against the claims of having hosted twice before and last in 1984 and they lack the ability to create a sound legacy because of the strong sporting culture in the area so despite having what would be the most financially sound bid. Because the city already has so many great venues already, little would be built and a material legacy would be near nothing. The city would also never sign the financial guarantee.

The other possible candidates, Washington DC, Philadelphia and Houston all have so much work to do for even a mediocre bid that it will be at least a decade of hard work before they're even considered for a serious bid.

Don't expect a serious US bid for quite some time. The USOC lacks motivation for a bid and no city has much interest and the capabilities to meet what the IOC expects.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM   #6883
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post

The Muslim world will probably not hold one until they loosen their policies around women.

And keep dreaming about DC 2020, it's never going to happen.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM   #6884
soup or man
Avant Garde

After what happened today, anything can happen in 12 years.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #6885
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6274

I think you might have to remember its the rest of the world's out there in the same boat, and not just a its-not-USA! issue, an 'us versus the rest' if you like.

For USA not getting the Olympics in 2020, if say South Africa get it, also means China, India, Spain, France, Turkey etc etc (name all the countries in the world) didn't get it either, also lost out, also failed in bids and had dreams dashed. Likewise 2024, 2028 etc - it can't be USA all the time, the one country as a player, and likely it may not be especially now the rest of the world is rising in prosperity and thus attainability of bids.

Remember today folks, the people most heartbroken are the Spanish, that got through every round (and had most votes at the start), and were pipped at the final post - and who were also pipped before for 2012, (losing by 1 vote).

Last edited by the spliff fairy; October 2nd, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6886
Bandit

Likes (Received): 6

That was a shocker that Chicago was out the first round. The problem is the world is maturing. What do I mean? Who in the hell is Oprah? I know who Oprah is but does the rest of the world? I'm sure many have heard of her but Oprah only means something to Americans. So the US media making Oprah out be something equivalent to a secret weapon for Chicago to win the bid was laughable. Remember Oprah's encounter at a Paris Hermes store? The French thought she was a lowly African trying to get into their store to steal. Yeah maybe not too long ago just being labeled an American celebrity was enough for the world's attention but the world is getting tired of worthless American celebrities thinking they're the new Greek gods and everyone has to follow their wishes. Time for a reality check. The fact is many in world are probably more insulted than impressed that the US brings out these celebrities especially ones the rest of world don't even know who they are as if that was going to sway them.

Last edited by Bandit; October 2nd, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Bandit no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM   #6887
Onn
BANNED

Well "Obama's Loss" is all over the major news networks. Republicans are going to hammer him on this whole thing.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #6888
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
I think you might have to remember its the rest of the world's out there in the same boat, and not just a its-not-USA! issue, an 'us versus the rest' if you like.

For USA not getting the Olympics in 2020, if say South Africa get it, also means China, India, Spain, France, Turkey etc etc (name all the countries in the world) didn't get it either, also lost out, also failed in bids and had dreams dashed. Likewise 2024, 2028 etc - it can't be USA all the time, the one country as a player, and likely it may not be especially now the rest of the world is rising in prosperity and thus attainability of bids.
Well we do on average put fourth the most athletes, and have the world's third largest population. I'm sure there are countries that would like to have one around the world, at the same time it's not an easy job nor is it easy to make the Olympics profitable. So it kind of limits the options.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6889
J-P4ulo

Likes (Received): 0

Hey people,today is Rio's party!!!
Let's start to think of the 2020 olympic games tomorrow.
J-P4ulo no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6890
SqueezeDog

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post

I don't think so! By 2020, China will have the largest economy in the world and be incredibly powerful, and the rest of Asia will be the center of the world, so it would only be appropriate that Asia hosts it in 2020, Olympics have for far too long been Western-dominated. Asia is where the bulk of humanity lives. So 2020 will probably be a competition between Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Istanbul or Jakarta.

Maybe Vietnam, Russia or Shanghai for 2024.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6891
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Good Luck and Relax!! I very Happy!! Rio Congratulations BRAZIL!!!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6892
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
That was a shocker that Chicago was out the first round. The problem is the world is maturing. What do I mean? Who in the hell is Oprah? I know who Oprah is but does the rest of the world? I'm sure many have heard of her but Oprah only means something to Americans. So the US media making Oprah out be something equivalent to a secret weapon for Chicago to win the bid was laughable. Remember Oprah's encounter at a Paris Hermes store? The French thought she was a lowly African trying to get into their store to steal. Yeah maybe not too long ago just being labeled an American celebrity was enough for the world's attention but the world is getting tired of worthless American celebrities thinking they're the new Greek gods and everyone has to follow their wishes. Time for a reality check.
Obviously you (and many people across the world) don't know this but Oprah is quite possibly the most powerful woman ON THE PLANET. She's worth over $2 billion dollars and has a HUGE influence on millions of people.

Various people sing her praises:

Vanity Fair magazine:

Quote:
Oprah Winfrey arguably has more influence on the culture than any university president, politician, or religious leader, except perhaps the Pope.
Bill O'Riley ( )

Quote:
I mean this is a woman that came from nothing to rise up to be the most powerful woman, I think, in the world. I think Oprah Winfrey is the most powerful woman in the world, not just in America. That's — anybody who goes on her program immediately benefits through the roof. I mean, she has a loyal following; she has credibility; she has talent; and she's done it on her own to become fabulously wealthy and fabulously powerful.
Maureen Dowd

Quote:
She is the top alpha female in this country. She has more credibility than the president. Other successful women, such as Hillary Clinton and Martha Stewart, had to be publicly slapped down before they could move forward. Even Condi has had to play the protegé with Bush. None of this happened to Oprah — she is a straight ahead success story.
Quote:
Winfrey was called "arguably the world's most powerful woman" by CNN and Time.com, "arguably the most influential woman in the world" by the American Spectator, "one of the 100 people who most influenced the 20th Century" and "one of the most influential people" of 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 by Time. Winfrey is the only person in the world to have made all six lists.

At the end of the 20th century Life listed Winfrey as both the most influential woman and the most influential black person of her generation, and in a cover story profile the magazine called her "America's most powerful woman".Ladies Home Journal also ranked Winfrey number one in their list of the most powerful women in America and senator Barack Obama has said she "may be the most influential woman in the country". In 1998 Winfrey became the first woman and first Black to top Entertainment Weekly's list of the 101 most powerful people in the entertainment industry. In 2003 Winfrey edged out both Superman and Elvis Presley to be named the greatest pop culture icon of all time by VH1. Forbes named her the world's most powerful celebrity in 2005, 2007, and 2008.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6893
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Well we do on average put fourth the most athletes, and have the world's third largest population. I'm sure there are countries that would like to have one around the world, at the same time it's not an easy job nor is it easy to make the Olympics profitable. So it kind of limits the options.
hey you guys hold it practically every decade, don't feel sleighted if you didnt get it in this half-decade. Also the world and the IOC is changing, its very much more of an international field so to put it, and will be even more so for years to come.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6894
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
I don't think so! By 2020, China will have the largest economy in the world and be incredibly powerful, and the rest of Asia will be the center of the world, so it would only be appropriate that Asia hosts it in 2020, Olympics have for far too long been Western-dominated. Asia is where the bulk of humanity lives. So 2020 will probably be a competition between Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai, Istanbul or Jakarta.

I think...so... hope Shanghai for 2020!!
> 同一个做夢
> 同一个中国
(同一个北京)(同一个上海)(同一个天津)(同一个广州)(同一个深圳)(同一个重庆)(同一个杭州)(同一个南京)(同一个沈陽)(同一个武汉)(同一个成都)(同一个長春)(同一个长沙)(同一个苏州)(同一个无锡)(同一个扬州)(同一个西安)(同一个吉林)(同一个青島)(同一个大连)(同一个厦门)(同一个潮州)(同一个高州)(同一个香港)(同一个澳門)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I LoVe ChInA
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6895
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Hey you!!!! If you don't know...America is all the entire continent not just US,
and I think in "AMERICA"...potential cities could be:

Buenos Aires
Santiago
Sao Paulo
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Toronto
NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
sorry to be really pedantic but there is no such continent as 'america' there is north america and south america (with sub continent central america), together they form 'the america's' as described by pangean scholars in the 1950s. b4 you all shoot me down for being anti this and anti that,,,i love everyone, never been south of mexico but sure as hell will be popping over now!!
brummad no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6896
Bandit

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Obviously you (nor many people across the world) don't know this but Oprah is quite possibly the most powerful woman ON THE PLANET. She's worth over $2 billion dollars and has a HUGE influence on millions of people.
This is a part of that arrogance I'm talking about because Oprah is not the richest woman on the planet. Maybe the richest entertainer but not the richest women. So that basically means nothing. And what influence does she have beyond American borders. Name it.

That's a joke equivalent to baseball having the World Series. Does the World Series have other countries' teams playing. Or how the Little League World Series is always assure an American team will play in it.
Bandit no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM   #6897
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post

China is not going to be "so incredibly powerful" in 2020, and certainly not the center of the world. Economic strength doesn’t count for everything.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6898
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

I think the idea in this day and age is the Okympics is truly global, and not gravitate to where the money is as in the past (eg the West), nor should it gravitate to where the future power lies (the East), nor even population distribution (India, China and Africa).

Each city/ region should get a fairer chance at representation, hence why there is always the unsaid impetus to change continents each time.

In the same way we can't repeat the Europe-America-Europe-America of the past, we shouldn't go Asia-Asia-Asia.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6899
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
This is a part of that arrogance I'm talking about because Oprah is not the richest woman on the planet. Maybe the richest entertainer but not the richest women. So that basically means nothing. And what influence does she have beyond American borders. Name it.
Oprah was even bigger than the IOC in Copenhagen, she was on the front page of the newspapers.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #6900
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
hey you guys hold it practically every decade, don't feel sleighted if you didnt get it in this half-decade. Also the world and the IOC is changing, its very much more of an international field so to put it, and will be even more so for years to come.
This is true. We all should be happy that a new and fresh area of the world has the Olympics today. The US's time will come again. But I think that a majority..well.. a lot of American's are scared that our position of power is slipping a bit.While it'll be a LONG time before anyone really challenges the US in terms of power, we as American's should also realize that there is more out there than the stars and stripes. Plus it really isn't a good look at all to be so big chested and so 'me me me US US US' all the time. Lets just be happy that Rio won and we all know that they will put on an amazing games.

With that said, DC in 2020!

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016