daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6901
SqueezeDog

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
China is not going to be "so incredibly powerful" in 2020, and certainly not the center of the world. Economic strength doesn’t count for everything.
I said that China will be incredibly powerful and the rest of Asia will be the center of the world. That is why I gave you the candidates for 2020, Asian cities! By 2020, this will be the reality, and it is only natural. Why you say no to this, give arguments then.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6902
Bandit

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Oprah was even bigger than the IOC in Copenhagen, she was on the front page of the newspapers.
I don't see Chicago with the Olympics. Nuff said.
Bandit no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6903
carecife

Likes (Received): 89

Rio !!!
I´ll be there next week!! Congratulations!!!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6904
SqueezeDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
I think the idea in this day and age is the Okympics is truly global, and not gravitate to where the money is as in the past (eg the West), nor should it gravitate to where the future power lies (the East), nor even population distribution (India, China and Africa).

Each city/ region should get a fairer chance at representation, hence why there is always the unsaid impetus to change continents each time.
But that "continent-fundamentalism" has resulted in way too many games for western countries, switching between Western Europe and North America. But it doesn't reflect where the people in the world live, people live mostly in Asia.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6905
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
This is a part of that arrogance I'm talking about because Oprah is not the richest woman on the planet. Maybe the richest entertainer but not the richest women. So that basically means nothing. And what influence does she have beyond American borders. Name it.

That's a joke equivalent to baseball having the World Series. Does the World Series have other countries' teams playing. Or how the Little League World Series is always assure an American team will play in it.
Did I say she was the richest woman on the planet?

And last I checked, America (be in North or South America) is a part of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah#Philanthropy
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #6906
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
I said that China will be incredibly powerful and the rest of Asia will be the center of the world. That is why I gave you the candidates for 2020, Asian cities! By 2020, this will be the reality, and it is only natural. Why you say no to this, give arguments then.
Asia may not be the center of the world. That's all I'm saying.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6907
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6233

I think a region should get it because it is it's turn, rather than because of how powerful or rich or populated it is - whether this be China or US, or any country.
the spliff fairy está en línea ahora  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6908
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

I don't see China mounting a serious bid in 2020 or 2024. I think that they're going to throw their weight behind a Winter Olympics bid in 2022 and 2026. I think Istanbul is the leader at the moment for 2020. There won't be a serious heavyweight in 2020 that commands huge deal of respect on name alone or someone who comes in as favorite based on past bidding like Rio, Beijing, London, Paris and Athens did. It will be one of the more wide open bids and I believe Istanbul's past bidding experience will do great things for them as they secure 2020. 2024 I think will be the IOC's opportunity to take the Games to Africa.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM   #6909
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
I think a region should get it because it is it's turn, rather than because of how powerful or rich or populated it is - whether this be China or US, or any country.
Well in a perfect world...
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM   #6910
SqueezeDog

Quote:
Asia may not be the center of the world. That's all I'm saying.
Why do you say that Asia will not be the center of the world by 2020? So many countries, so many people (most of humanity), so much culture, by far the biggest trade zone, so much money and power, with China as the leading dog. it is incomprehensible that Asia will not be the center of the world by 2020. What are your arguments against this, I don't understand. Asia should definitely host the 2020 games.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM   #6911
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Did I say she was the richest woman on the planet?

And last I checked, America (be in North or South America) is a part of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah#Philanthropy
You brought up how much she makes as if that influences her standing the world. Again as with the other poster... if she were so powerful why did Chicago get knocked out the first round? Her celebrity had no influence.
Bandit no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #6912
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I don't see China mounting a serious bid in 2020 or 2024. I think that they're going to throw their weight behind a Winter Olympics bid in 2022 and 2026. I think Istanbul is the leader at the moment for 2020. There won't be a serious heavyweight in 2020 that commands huge deal of respect on name alone or someone who comes in as favorite based on past bidding like Rio, Beijing, London, Paris and Athens did. It will be one of the more wide open bids and I believe Istanbul's past bidding experience will do great things for them as they secure 2020. 2024 I think will be the IOC's opportunity to take the Games to Africa.

Why not 2020, that will be a full 10 years after South Africa holds the world's largest sporting event in the form of the World Cup.

I also see Istanbul is a very good contender, its the place to be at at the mo'.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM   #6913
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
You brought up how much she makes as if that influences her standing the world. Again as with the other poster... if she were so powerful why did Chicago get knocked out the first round? Her celebrity had no influence.
She isn't Jesus Christ. Chicago lost not because Oprah was there. Chicago lost because Rio had the better bid. Simple as that.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6914
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Why not 2020, that will be a full 10 years after South Africa holds the wodls largest sporting event in the form of the World Cup.

I also see Istanbul is a very good contender, its the place to be at at the mo'.
I expect South Africa to investigate a 2020 bid, but I think that it would be best for South Africa if they took time following the 2010 World Cup to evaluate what went right and wrong, then use that to better their bid. I think 2020 serves as a chance to become familiar with the bid process and fine tune things for a serious bid in 2024.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #6915
Tico_ES
Going, Going, Gone

Likes (Received): 0

I'm so happy for Rio. I was thinking that Chicago would win ... thanks God it didn't happen.

This was another chapter of "The Decadence of the US Empire"

hope China gets more medals than the US again and shows how NBC "medal table" was a complete lie, considering the number of total medals more important than the gold medals
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6916
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

^not nice

This isnt a dick measuring contest
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6917
SqueezeDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Why not Harbin or Changchun for 2018 WO?

Istanbul might be get it for 2020, I agree, but Bangkok, Mumbai and Kuala Lumpur are also strong candidates!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6918
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico_ES View Post
I'm so happy for Rio. I was thinking that Chicago would win ... thanks God it didn't happen.

This was another chapter of "The Decadence of the US Empire"

hope China gets more medals than the US again and shows how NBC "medal table" was a complete lie, considering the number of total medals more important than the gold medals
Was this really needed?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM   #6919
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
She isn't Jesus Christ. Chicago lost not because Oprah was there. Chicago lost because Rio had the better bid. Simple as that.
And my argumaent was American celebrity was overrated which this outcome proved it. You were touting Oprah's influence even after Chicago lost.
Bandit no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #6920
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
And my argumaent was American celebrity was overrated which this outcome proved it. You were touting Oprah's influence even after Chicago lost.
Just because Chicago lost the Olympics doesn't mean that Oprah's power will be lost. Not by any means. She's one of those people who's legacy will live on long after she's dead due to the lasting effects they have had on millions of people.. Like Martin Luther King Jr, Ghandi, Hitler, JFK, Churchill. Hell even Elvis and Micheal Jackson.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016