daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6921
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
Why do you say that Asia will not be the center of the world by 2020? So many countries, so many people (most of humanity), so much culture, by far the biggest trade zone, so much money and power, with China as the leading dog. it is incomprehensible that Asia will not be the center of the world by 2020. What are your arguments against this, I don't understand. Asia should definitely host the 2020 games.
Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it's the center of the world. Not everything is based on economic power alone. Military power can also play a big factor and geography. North America is likely the new center of the world, like Europe was for many centuries before. China may lead Asia, but is also has to contend will all the other Asian powers (from Russia, to Japan, to India, to Indonesia). In North America there are only three large countries, one of which is vastly more powerful than the other two.
Onn no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #6922
brummad
Oh! There he is!!
 
brummad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 904
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Did I say she was the richest woman on the planet?

And last I checked, America (be in North or South America) is a part of the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah#Philanthropy
of course it is a part of the world...its just not a continent. lol anyway away from that i cant wait to see the bids for 2020. i think this will be the most interesting of bid-offs. so many nations coming up on the development stakes who could theoretically host the olympics. i really fancy somewhere like doha or maybe even san fran or even somewhere in south east asia...ooh bangkok!
brummad no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:43 PM   #6923
soup or man
Avant Garde
 
soup or man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,758
Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummad View Post
of course it is a part of the world...its just not a continent. lol anyway away from that i cant wait to see the bids for 2020. i think this will be the most interesting of bid-offs. so many nations coming up on the development stakes who could theoretically host the olympics. i really fancy somewhere like doha or maybe even san fran or even somewhere in south east asia...ooh bangkok!
I think that the Middle East will have a pretty tough time making a serious bid. Not because of the political climate, but because of the heat. I would love to see an Olympic event in the Middle East but that'll be pretty hard to do. I know Doha hosted the 2006 Asian Games with no problems (that I can recall) but the Olympics is a bit..you know..BIGGER. People had issues with Mexico City's elevation, Atlanta's humidity, and Beijing's air quality. Heat is a whole new factor.

But knowing Doha/Dubai, they'll probably have the entire Olympics in a giant bubble.
__________________
Far from basic.
soup or man no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:44 PM   #6924
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it's the center of the world. Not everything is based on economic power alone. Military power can also play a big factor and geography. North America is likely the new center of the world, like Europe was for many centuries before. China may lead Asia, but is also has to contend will all the other Asian powers (from Russia, to Japan, to India, to Indonesia). In North America there are only three large countries, one of which is vastly more powerful than the other two.
But why do you say that Asia will not be the center of the world, this is what I don't understand.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM   #6925
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
But why do you say that Asia will not be the center of the world, this is what I don't understand.
Because it's not going to be. The world is still going to revolve around the US, just maybe not in the same way as it does right now. In Asia you have a bunch of large competitive countries side by side, which means when something happens they’re all affected positively or negatively. Everything looks fine and rosy today, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6926
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Because it's not going to be. The world is still going to revolve around the US, just maybe not in the same way as it does right now. In Asia you have a bunch of large competitive countries side by side, which means when something happens they’re all affected positively or negatively. Everything looks fine and rosy today, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to stay that way.
I still don't understand you. Asia will have by far the biggest economic and human clout in the world. Most of humanity lives in Asia and the fact that there are so many countries in Asia is a plus not a minus for hosing the 2020 Olympic Games in the new center of the world. The trade volume in Asia will far surpass anything in North America many times over, NA will not be the center of the world. Asia has everything going for it by 2020, human, economic, trade, many countries, many cultures, it is like Europe, the center of the world for several centuries, and now the tide is back to Asia and the 2020 Olympic games should definitely reflect this huge shift! Western countries have had far too many games, and Asian countries need to catch up.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6927
zdaddy233
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 2

Id like to see 2020 either in an African country or something thats afro-asian or Euro-asian. Anything along the lines of Istanbul or Cairo would be cool.
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #6928
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
I still don't understand you. Asia will have by far the biggest economic and human clout in the world. Most of humanity lives in Asia and the fact that there are so many countries in Asia is a plus not a minus for hosing the 2020 Olympic Games in the new center of the world. The trade volume in Asia will far surpass anything in North America many times over, NA will not be the center of the world. Asia has everything going for it by 2020, human, economic, trade, many countries, many cultures, it is like Europe, the center of the world for several centuries, and now the tide is back to Asia and the 2020 Olympic games should definitely reflect this huge shift! Western countries have had far too many games, and Asian countries need to catch up.
That doesn’t necessarily translate into global power however. Large population is a blessing as much as it is a curse. And a large economy is a major factor, but it doesn’t always translate into strategic power. China may be large, but it's also sluggish. Unlike Japan which is very mobile, and a sea faring nation. Yeah, but when one of the Asian powers has a problem who are they going to come to for support? There going to go across the Atlantic to the United States. And then the United States gets to decide what side it wants to take. No major power in Asia is going to be able to win a conflict without the US's support. But the US will still be the most powerful overall, because it doesn’t have anyone to contend with in North America.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM   #6929
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
That doesn’t necessarily translate into global power however. Large population is a blessing as much as it is as a curse. And large economy is a major factor, but it doesn’t always translate into strategic power. China may be large, but it's also sluggish. Unlike Japan which is very mobile, and a sea faring nation. Yeah, but when one of the Asian powers has a problem who are they going to come to for support? There going to go across the Atlantic to the United States. And then the United States gets to decide what side it wants to take. No major power in Asia is going to be able to win a conflict without the US's support. But the US will still be the most powerful overall, because it doesn’t have anyone to contend with in North America.
Seems like you are thinking that Olympics 2020 is a war!?!? I said that Asia will be the new center of the world, and this you have not found any arguments against, so I think you agree with me.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM   #6930
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
Seems like you are thinking that Olympics 2020 is a war!?!? I said that Asia will be the new center of the world, and this you have not found any arguments against, so I think you agree with me.
It won't be the new center of the world, that's what I'm saying. Large population and a large economy are not all that goes into holding the most influence in the world.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6931
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It won't be the new center of the world, that's what I'm saying. Large population and a large economy are not all that goes into holding the most influence in the world.
Asia, with by far the largest markets in everything, largest corporations, largest populations, by far most trade revolving around Asia, most people living in Asia. The US has no chance of holding the 2020 Olympics based on your potential nuclear war scenario in Asia! Get real! The center of the world will be in Asia and I think 2020 Olympics will reflect that.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #6932
zdaddy233
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 103
Likes (Received): 2

this conversation is ridiculous. Papua New Guinea is the next superpower, why are we even arguing?
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:21 AM   #6933
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
By far the largest markets in everything, largest corporations, largest populations, by far most trade revolving around Asia, most people living in Asia. The US has no chance of holding the 2020 Olympics based on your potential nuclear war scenario in Asia! Get real! The center of the world will be in Asia and I think 2020 Olympics will reflect that.
No, you’re wrong. Although you aren't going to realize that yet, so I can say it all you want and you won't believe me until you see for yourself. Not everything is based on the economy and population.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM   #6934
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
this conversation is ridiculous. Papua New Guinea is the next superpower, why are we even arguing?
Because I sick of these ignorant Chinese (and others) coming on these boards and thinking they know what's going to happen over the next 50 years.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #6935
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdaddy233 View Post
this conversation is ridiculous. Papua New Guinea is the next superpower, why are we even arguing?
Onn seems to be an American fixated on war. It is not WAR 2020, . As the center of the world shifts from the west (with dozens of Olympics as a result) to the east (only very few olympics), it is natural that IOC will reflect on this.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM   #6936
Yrmom247
Parabolic
 
Yrmom247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tampa
Posts: 359
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skobabe8 View Post
Which makes me think, how in the hell did ATLANTA win the bid????
Atlanta 1996 had the most impressive bid. Atlanta 1996 was the first Olympic bid campaign to use a computerized 3D rendering of what the games would look like if it were to host the games, giving it the title of the "modern games" once it was chosen. Athens couldn't clarify where they were going to get the funds to host the Olympics. It didn't even have a local rail system. Atlanta could verify the funding and had already established a metro rail system. Coca Cola is based in Atlanta. Home Depot is based in Atlanta. Nations Bank (bought out by BofA) was based in Atlanta. All were HUGE contributors to the Olympic movement at the time which also gave Atlanta 1996 some leverage. But the Olympics were too commercialized and had more problems than what was expected. There was excitement but there was no soul. This leads me to think that Atlanta 1996 has screwed us for a long time. The Atlanta 1996 bid was the first to use a 3D rending of a proposed Olympic games. I'm confident that played a huge part.
__________________
VANCOUVER 2010 SOCHI 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may be paranoid, but no android.
Yrmom247 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6937
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

The western countries have had the Olympics so many times because that is where the economy and markets was. It is incredibly important, and when most people live in Asia as well, the argument for Asia is incredibly strong. Western countries are well over-represented in hosting history.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6938
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 820
Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Hey you!!!! If you don't know...America is all the entire continent not just US,
and I think in "AMERICA"...potential cities could be:

Buenos Aires
Santiago
Sao Paulo
Monterrey
Guadalajara
Toronto
NYC
Chicago
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
There is no such continent as "America", there is South America and North America. Each lie on it's own tectonic plate and are eventually going to seperate. (hopefully sooner rather than later) So can we stop all this one american continent crap. America for all intensive purposes refers to the United States of AMERICA, nothing more, nothing less.
mattec no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6939
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
Onn seems to be an American fixated on war. It is not WAR 2020, . As the center of the world shifts from the west (with dozens of Olympics as a result) to the east (only very few olympics), it is natural that IOC will reflect on this.
You don't know that! So far most of the Olympics have been in Europe!
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6940
SqueezeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 931
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
You don't know that! So far most of the Olympics have been in Europe!
Of course nobody knows who will host it in 2020, but the reason for the massive over-representation of western countries in hosting it is very clear. It is the economy. Not only is the economy shifting to Asia, but that is where the people live as well, so both the economic and democratic arguments says Asia for 2020.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu