daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6941
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Chicago out in the first vote. Makes me wonder if Obama hurt Chicago. Congrats Rio! At least its in a time zone with America!
Ganis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM   #6942
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

I know economy and population are important, BUT the winner is the city which convinces IOC of quality of bid.
All continents are concerned about this fact.
Furthermore North America and South America are two different continents.
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM   #6943
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganis View Post
Chicago out in the first vote. Makes me wonder if Obama hurt Chicago. Congrats Rio! At least its in a time zone with America!
If Obama hurt Chicago and Lula helped Rio then something is rotten in Denmark.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #6944
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 255

Just a joke:
The US will get a SOG on 2100 !!!!
CaliforniaJones no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM   #6945
SqueezeDog

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
If Obama hurt Chicago and Lula helped Rio then something is rotten in Denmark.
Lula is a man of the working people, the poor and disadvantaged. He is a working man, not a high-flying jet set big wig like lawyer Obama. Under Lula, 30 million people have been lifted out of poverty and Brazil is a country on the move. Under Obama, we see gridlock, we see a man uncapable of improving the lives of the working man, the poor and the disadvantaged. Is he a man of the large corporations? Is he a big wig? This is something to think about.
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6946
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6819

Congrats Rio. It was the best choice. Now looking for 2018 winter bids. If Harbin going to bid, then it will win. As it's a Russian city i'm sure it will be supported by Russia on high level. Then all the doors will be opened for Saint Petersburg 2020, especially if Sochi will be ready by 2013 and i'm sure China's major role in modern policy will play back for Saint Petersburg bid as well.

Last edited by coth; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
coth no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM   #6947
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueezeDog View Post
Lula is a man of the working people, the poor and disadvantaged. He is a working man, not a high-flying jet set big wig like lawyer Obama. Under Lula, 30 million people have been lifted out of poverty and Brazil is a country on the move. Under Obama, we see gridlock, we see a man uncapable of improving the lives of the working man, the poor and the disadvantaged. Is he a man of the large corporations? Is he a big wig? This is something to think about.
My God, the ignorance. Yoú don't know what you are talking about, so I'd suggest you be quiet before you embarass yourself further. You also know nothing of Obama's story, so lay off. He's nothing like you describe...

Also, stop trying to predict the future, you know nothing about what will be in 2020 and the status of the world's economic situation. Europe as a whole has the largest GDP anyway. Population also is not a factor, money is, GDP per capita is. Where is India in terms of GDP/capita now? Population is nothing.
aquablue no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM   #6948
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-P4ulo View Post
Hey people,today is Rio's party!!!
Let's start to think of the 2020 olympic games tomorrow.
I agree

This thread is about 2016 Summer Olympics

or

RIO 2016

Soroban no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:51 AM   #6949
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Of course nobody knows who will host it in 2020, but the reason for the massive over-representation of western countries in hosting it is very clear. It is the economy. Not only is the economy shifting to Asia, but that is where the people live as well, so both the economic and democratic arguments says Asia for 2020.
That dosen't mean the IOC is changing, however. Most of the IOC members are European!
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM   #6950
SqueezeDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
My God, the ignorance. Yoú don't know what you are talking about, so I'd suggest you be quiet before you embarass yourself further. You also know nothing of Obama's story, so lay off.

Also, stop trying to predict the future, you know nothing about what will be in 2020 and the status of the world's economic situation. Europe as a whole has the largest GDP anyway.
Nobody knows the future, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Europe will have a larger economy than Asia by 2020! And it is 2020 we are talking about here, giving arguments for and against who we think will make it.

Regarding Obama, the man got a severe body punch by Lula this time, Lula knocked him straight out in the first round! What has lawyer Obama done for the poor and disadvantaged? And for the working class? We need to look at this, and see any trends so far in his presidency compared to Lula.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:55 AM   #6951
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Nobody knows the future, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Europe will have a larger economy than Asia by 2020! And it is 2020 we are talking about here, giving arguments for and against who we think will make it.

Regarding Obama, the man got a severe body punch by Lula this time, Lula knocked him straight out in the first round!
Obama gave up his lawyer life and big earning potential to help the disadvantaged and poor...he could have earned big but became a community organizer. Stop talking about things you don't know anything about.

You come across as someone who wants China to be the center of the world, a power hungry attitude IMO. There will never be a center of the world.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6952
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

By 2030 China will have military bases in Hawaii, and by 2040 Chinese Navy will patrol the Atlantic and the Pacific. There's no stopping China. They'll even have missiles on the moon pointing at USA and Europe. Africa and other developing countries will adopt Chinese style government and democracy will be defeated, country by country.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM   #6953
ELLIN
MOLON LAVE

Likes (Received): 46

Mpravo Rio!!!..IM HAPPY...It was the city I wanted ...Cant wait for your Olympics.....you deserve it.....
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:59 AM   #6954
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
By 2030 China will have military bases in Hawaii, and by 2040 Chinese Navy will patrol the Atlantic and the Pacific. There's no stopping China. They'll even have missiles on the moon pointing at USA and Europe.
Oh, hahahaha...hilarious.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM   #6955
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Quote:
Childish immature talk. What are you, 12? Bases in Hawaii, how so? You want a war huh?
The US will happily accept Chinese bases in return for a partial waiver of the massive debt that US owes China.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM   #6956
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

RIO 2016

Rio has received the set of people and work ....

Highlight Mr. Joao Havelange (one of the most important men in world sport)

Nuzman (developed a great job with his charisma with the members of the IOC)

Sergio Cabral and Eduardo Paes (State Government and City Hall)

Athletes who have demonstrated the importance of the IOC Games in Brazil.

The Brazilian people who believe in the power of transformation that the Games in a city is elected.

Above all, our President Lula, who was in this project from the beginning ...

Congratulations to all, we are very proud of you ....
JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM   #6957
SqueezeDog

Quote:
Obama gave up his lawyer life and big earning potential to help the disadvantaged and poor...he could have earned big but became a community organizer. Stop talking about things you don't know anything about.

You come across as someone who wants China to be the center of the world, a power hungry attitude IMO. There will never be a center of the world.
I am talking about PRESIDENT Obama. This is why Lula had him by his throat in this knockout stage. It was a K.O. in the first round, and we must ask ourselves if Obama is more image than substance, while Lula as we know is the man of the people who act and deliver for the poor and disadvantaged. I think Lula's role was crucial for Rio, Brazil is on the way up and Lula reflects this with his working man style, as a man of the people who act on behalf of the people. Lula's approval rating is 76%, Obama is like a falling star.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM   #6958
zdaddy233

Quote:
I am talking about PRESIDENT Obama. This is why Lula had him by his throat in this knockout stage. It was a K.O. in the first round, and we must ask ourselves if Obama is more image than substance, while Lula as we know is the man of the people who act and deliver for the poor and disadvantaged. I think Lula's role was crucial for Rio, Brazil is on the way up and Lula reflects this with his working man style, as a man of the people who act on behalf of the people. Lula's approval rating is 76%, Obama is like a falling star.
So youre saying Lula swam his way there? This is ridiculous, if you even have a little over 50% approval rating in the US you are doing well.
zdaddy233 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM   #6959
Joao Pedro - Fortal

Likes (Received): 7744

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
There is no such continent as "America", there is South America and North America. Each lie on it's own tectonic plate and are eventually going to seperate. (hopefully sooner rather than later) So can we stop all this one american continent crap. America for all intensive purposes refers to the United States of AMERICA, nothing more, nothing less.
What are you talking about?
America refers to the whole american continent which includes North, Central and South. I don't understand why North Americans still insist to say they are "Americans". Brazilian, Mexican, Canadians are all americans too.
Is the same thing that Italians decide to call themselves "Europeans"..

Last edited by Joao Pedro - Fortal; October 3rd, 2009 at 01:17 AM.
Joao Pedro - Fortal no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6960
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost101 View Post
If Madrid win it, Paris will be pretty annoyed. They'll have to wait ages before having a reasonable chance of getting it.
It really is Paris's to lose next time I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Paris won't be candidate anymore: FOREVER !
Why you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBC View Post
Yes, but just knowing that people like you are really pissed is a victory for me!! even if Rio loses, Im happy with Madrid.
Pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
Rio and Toronto are on 2 different continents, Toronto on NA and Rio on SA
That is how I perceive it but is that how most people in the world see it though? Most importantly the IOC delegates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Chicago will not bid again. Expect any future US bids to come from San Francisco or maybe even Philadelphia.
I don't know about that. My initial reaction was there would not be another attempt anytime soon. Also remember San Fran was in tight contention with Chicago for the right to host yet pulled out because they ended up having no solution for a track stadium. Would that change? The only thing I could think of would be a temporary stadium like Chicago and for whatever reason they didn't seem to entertain that solution this time.

Part of me does wonder if the reason why Chicago didn't' get a few or some votes was because perhaps some IOC members are waiting out for NYC (or lesser degree San Fran) to be the next American city. Given the slap down NYC got last time though I am not sure how much I buy into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
Some are speculating that President Obama's visit hurt the bid. A former IOC member had this to say, "The short stopover was "too business-like," Holm said. "It can be that some IOC members see it as a lack of respect."
What an effing douche bag. Yes, because it should be contingent for world politicians from a variety of nations to lick the asse of the IOC for half a week for the off chance to obtain a sports tourney when they have truly important legislative and executive issues to attend to.

Don't even get me started on the many tens of millions of dollars they end up requiring of cities which should be going to education and other city services especially in the less well off cities that bid.

I f'n hate the utterly narcissistic IOC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica17 View Post
Good job Rio. I wanted Tokyo, but I guess you guys deserved it more. At least Chicago didn't win!
Cheers to Warsaw, Poland never sniffing a whiff of such an honor such as hosting a games or at least until you are long after you're in the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspork02 View Post
AFTER ANALYZING THE votes, Maybe some Samaranch first round sympathy votes went to Madrid and not for Chicago....HMM!???
I'm thinking so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Listen, I really like Chicago, but you have to agree that what happened in Salt Lake City gave a bad reputation to the IOC and they're pretty annoyed with all this.
That was a two way street no? Also I think it highly suspect that was the first time there would have been "incentives" given and taken.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016