daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6961
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
If Obama hurt Chicago and Lula helped Rio then something is rotten in Denmark.
Lula used to be a IOC committee member. His friends were voting.
Ganis no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #6962
Kenni
What?

Congratulations Rio de Janeiro!!! and for the debut of the Olympic Games to the Continent of South America!!!
Kenni no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #6963
JR Nazareth

Likes (Received): 0

The Olympic Village and RIOCENTRO

Area of fun Olympic Village STREET CARIOCA

Exclusive Beach Athletes Rio 2016

Velodromo

Olympic Park

[IMG]http://globoesporte.globo.com/Esportes/Fotos/0,,GF75828-9645,00-FOTOS+VEJA+COMO+SERAO+AS+INSTALACOES+ESPORTIVAS+EM.html#
[/IMG]

Aquatic Stadium

Media Village

Press Center

JR Nazareth no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM   #6964
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Congrats too Rio, it will put on a very scenic games wit a great atmosphere. Though I would have loved to see my city win it is nice to see the games go to new horizons. In all sincerity if there was any city in the world other then my own to host it would be Rio.

Rio was my first oversees city I ever visited so I hold it in high regard. I even commented to who I was with back then (ten years ago) that it was an ideal place to hold an Olympics and was bewildered on how it didn't' get short listed. Its persistence has paid off and now they will host a games they probably should have in the past and they will do more then a fine job.

Congrats to Rio

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 3rd, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM   #6965
JR Nazareth

Signing of Contract for the Games

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:32 AM   #6966
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

First-round shock for Chicago; Final rout for Rio

By Stephen Wilson, AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK — It started with a jaw-dropping first-round defeat for Chicago, the United States and President Barack Obama. It ended with an overwhelming final-round rout for Rio de Janeiro, South America and Brazil's own charismatic president.

But the vote played out in a way that no one could have predicted or imagined.

"Stunned" and "shocked" was how many IOC members described themselves when the result of the first round of the electronic secret ballot was read out by committee president Jacques Rogge: Chicago was eliminated!

Chicago had long been considered a front-runner, if not the favorite, to get the games. The decision by Obama and first lady Michelle Obama to travel to Copenhagen to pitch their city's case in person to the IOC had been seen as a potential game-changing coup to seal the deal over Rio, Madrid and Tokyo.

Yet, Chicago wound up with the fewest votes of the four cities in the first round, partly it seems due to a late sympathy surge for Tokyo, which had widely been expected to drop out first.

Madrid led the first round with 28 votes, followed by Rio with 26. Tokyo got 22 votes, while Chicago finished last with 18.

For many members, Chicago fell victim to a fluke in the voting system, rather than a direct rebuke.

"The only thing I can think of is that there was an Asian bloc voting in sympathy for Tokyo in the first round," senior Australian IOC member Kevan Gosper said. "I can only believe that it was an accident or a mishap of group voting. I honestly don't think there was a group that would deliberately seek to insult the U.S. president and first lady in the first round."

Added IOC executive board member Gerhard Heiberg: "Either it was tactical voting, or a lot of people decided not to vote for Chicago whatever happened. Nobody knows, but everybody is in a state of shock. Nobody believes it. I'm very sorry about it. We will have to spend some time evaluating what happened."

But there were other underlying factors at play in Chicago's early elimination, namely lingering anti-American sentiment in the European-dominated IOC. Much of this stems from tensions with the U.S. Olympic Committee over its extra share of Olympic television and marketing revenues.

The IOC and USOC reached a truce on the revenue issue in March, but some members are still not convinced of the American body's willingness to compromise. The USOC also ruffled IOC feathers recently by announcing the creation of its own Olympic television network. The USOC eventually put the project on hold, but the damage may have been done.

"It was a defeat for the USOC, not for Chicago," said IOC board member Denis Oswald of Switzerland, a longtime critic of the USOC revenue share. "So now they have to think for the future. They realize that apparently they have a problem. We want them to be fully part of the family and they probably have to take some steps.

"All that has happened with USOC has not helped," Oswald added. "All the changes, having new people within USOC. You could feel some differences of opinion between Chicago and USOC. They tried at the end to give the impression they were united, but we know perfectly well."

The three remaining cities advanced to the second round, and that's where the election turned firmly and clearly in Rio's favor.

Rio got 46 votes -- meaning the city picked up 20 votes from the first round, including presumably all 18 that had gone to Chicago. Tokyo actually dropped two votes for a total of 20. Madrid picked up one more to reach 29.

With no city yet obtaining the required majority for victory, the vote went to the final head-to-head round between Rio and Madrid. It was no contest as the Latin Americans rallied behind Rio as it crushed Madrid 66-32.

It was all so different than most IOC members had envisioned. Rogge himself had recently predicted the result would come down to a "couple of votes," saying it could be even closer than in 2005 when London beat Paris 54-50 in the final round to secure the 2012 Olympics.

That might have been the case Friday had the vote come down to Chicago-Rio, but no one will ever know.

Whether Chicago could have beaten Rio anyway in the final also now seems doubtful.

"I think most people at the end of the day might have expected a Chicago-Rio final and might not have been surprised if Rio just edged that," British member Craig Reedie said.

It was a humiliating result for Chicago just hours after Obama had become the first American president to appear at an IOC host city vote. He and his wife, Michelle, spoke about their love for his adopted home and her native city, but it wasn't enough.

"They (Obamas) were well received, they were welcomed," Gosper said. "That's what's stunned me. There is no evidence other than a positive reaction to their presence. The whole thing doesn't make sense other there has been a stupid bloc vote. To have the president of the United States and his wife personally appear, then this should happen in the first round is awful and totally undeserving."

Some members criticized the Chicago presentation as being flat and dull, apart from the Obamas' appearance. Even the president's pitch wasn't seen as inspiring as some had expected.

"Objectively seen, he didn't do too much," French member Guy Drut said. "Michelle Obama was exceptional. She held a really great speech."

Chicago also went first in the presentations, starting early in the morning and losing some of the impact by the time of the vote late in the day. The Obamas also left before the actual vote.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...43949806_x.htm

Edited by Bnk, SSP

Last edited by Onn; October 3rd, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Onn no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #6967
chifleischhacker

I guess our second city complex will only continue to grow from this... lol

I have followed Chicago 2016 from before it got started. I studied the Olympic Movement and a possible Chicago bid in the spring of '06 for a class before this whole 2016 movement got its legs. It's crazy that this idea/dream that Chicago can host the Games actually materialized this far. The Bid team could of addressed the legacy issue head on in my book, but kinda skipped around it, and maybe the were too dependent on Obama... He kinda made the presentation more political than it really needed to be. However, I am proud of the work that this team has done. The Chicago bid has evolved so much from the start. And we can host a great Olympics. I just hope from this 2016 that our civic leaders and citizens actually learn what we can get done as a city if we work together.

There is nothing wrong for aiming for the gold, but maybe we do not need to physically host these games to realize things that we can accomplish.

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized."
-Daniel Burnham
chifleischhacker no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:35 AM   #6968
JR Nazareth

COPACABANA BEACH

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM   #6969
JR Nazareth

Obama Brazilian

Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM   #6970
JR Nazareth

In Portuguese > Started the Dream
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:45 AM   #6971
SqueezeDog

Likes (Received): 2

I don't think anyone can disagree that Brazil and Rio de Janeiro will host the most spectacular party ever witnessed! It will be fun, it will be sun, it will be dancing in the streets, it will be no terror threats against females who aren't dressed according to religious scriptures, it will be Rio! (and some murders, but that would probably have happened in Chicago too!, it ain't no Tokyo either!)
SqueezeDog no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:51 AM   #6972
Joao Pedro - Fortal

Likes (Received): 7744

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Congrats too Rio, it will put on a very scenic games wit a great atmosphere. Though I would have loved to see my city win it is nice to see the games go to new horizons. In all sincerity if there was any city in the world other then my own to host it would be Rio. Rio was my first oversees city I ever visited so I hold it in high regard. I even commented to who I was with back then (ten years ago) that it was an idea place to hold an Olympics and was bewildered on how it didn't' get short listed. Its persistence has paid off and now they will host a games they probably should have in the past.

Congrats to Rio

As a Brazilian I think I can say thank you for the words. Sometimes we (Brazilian People) seem to be a little bit exaggerated in exalt very much our country. What happen is that we just love being brazilian citizens - even with all the problems we have - and we knew this OG would be the biggest chance to resolve some of the main problems and show to the world who we really are. There's no doubt Madrid, Tokyo and Chicago are amazing cities, more developed, with less problems and they would also host incredible games. But Brazil is determined and encouraged. Brazil's population know this is a great, maybe the greatest chance in our history to make big changes.
Congrats Rio 2016, I'm sure the world won't be dissapointed..

Last edited by Joao Pedro - Fortal; October 3rd, 2009 at 02:05 AM.
Joao Pedro - Fortal no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:52 AM   #6973
CITYofDREAMS
The Place

Likes (Received): 179

Rio will host spectacular games... Congratulations hermanos cariocas!!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM   #6974
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao Pedro - Fortal View Post
What are you talking about?
America refers to the whole american continent which includes North, Central and South. I don't understand why North Americans still insist to say they are "Americans". Brazilian, Mexican, Canadians are all americans too.
Is the same thing that Italians decide to call themselves "Europeans"..
The People of the US are tradiotionally called Americans as the country is officially called The United States of AMERICA. Its the only country in the world that has AMERICA in its title.

Example:

The United Mexican States = MEXICO.

Argentine republic.

The United States of America = AMERICA

And there is a North America and a South America.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM   #6975
ericlucky290

Likes (Received): 1

Congrats Rio!
ericlucky290 no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM   #6976
AndrzGln

Likes (Received): 487

Congrats Rio
AndrzGln no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM   #6977
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
After the massive failure of the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, they have good reason to avoid American cities for a while. Sad, but true.
What was this massive failure and who decides the criteria? Too much commercialization? Pfff. China had a splendid Olympics but also was rather s---t in many ways as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
DC 2020 - Olympics held in the capital of the most powerful nation on earth.

Dubai 2024 - First Olympics in the Middle East

Jo'burg 2028 - First Olympics in Africa
Though I agree with the general sentiment that new horizons will continue to be undertaken I am a bit skeptical they will do so back to back. I think Istanbul and Cape Town would make good candidates potentially but I with Rio getting 2016 that 2024 is more likely. I don't see a Sheikdom such as Dubai getting a shot. My gut tells me that the IOC will go back to some place "established" and I could see a Paris finally getting the nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post

I don't think there's any doubt that there is anti-American sentiment in the IOC, but not in the worldwide political sense that many associate with the anti-American sentiment. The USOC and IOC have been battling for years now and have rarely seen eye to eye in the last decade. You can argue that the IOC has been uncooperative or that the USOC is unfairly pressuring an international committee, but within the IOC there is an anti-American sentiment for direct relationship issues. Would better relations with the IOC have helped the Chicago bid? Probably, but that alone is not reason for Chicago not winning the bid.
There is certainly could be some such sentiments but it is impossible to determine how much or if is sizable or pretty negligible. Speculating about it is anyone's guess. If there is overt freezing of American cities I would hope they would not waste anyone's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
hey you guys hold it practically every decade, don't feel slighted if you didn't get it in this half-decade. Also the world and the IOC is changing, its very much more of an international field so to put it, and will be even more so for years to come.
I don't think its so much that "we didn't win" or it deserved the games as much as the odd scoring and the fact intangibles seemed to suggest that what happened shouldn't have, at least when it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBlueDragon View Post
I think...so... hope Shanghai for 2020!!
Hope not. In all honest the U.S. should have not gotten them only twelve years after with Atlanta. I was flabbergasted when it did and even as a American it felt somewhat overindulgent. Twelve year is just to short for a nation to get bids IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
[B][Some members criticized the Chicago presentation as being flat and dull, apart from the Obamas' appearance. Even the president's pitch wasn't seen as inspiring as some had expected.

"Objectively seen, he didn't do too much," French member Guy Drut said. "Michelle Obama was exceptional. She held a really great speech."

Chicago also went first in the presentations, starting early in the morning and losing some of the impact by the time of the vote late in the day. The Obamas also left before the actual vote.

Edited by Bnk, SSP
I have to admit it was. Especially the speakers other then the Obamas. Rio's were the best as a whole IMO. I don't think it was so flat and dull that it could be seen as responsible though.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM   #6978
LP

Likes (Received): 448

Congrats Rio! Awesome and amazing city around the world!

I'll go!
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM   #6979
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

I just hope that Obama be re-elected in 2012 so he can join us in The Olympic Games!! Would be great!!
TEBC no está en línea  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM   #6980
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I think Obama would be there anyway.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016