daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #761
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

what the cobblers are you battering on about ???
brummad no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #762
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

exciter why don't you tell us the best points about Madrid's bid and why it should win over the other bids rather than critiscising London's bid all the time.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #763
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
london again...the IOC open an investigation to london and new york, about breaking the rules.
both cities are offering new 'things' out of the last inform, including invitations to restaurants, public transport, free flying tickets...
let's see what happen
I thought it was a good thing that London was offereing free public transport for the olympics.

People moan about how expensive it is in London to use public transport. So if you go to the olympics and buy a ticket it'll be free to get there and it encourages no extra traffic on the roads - a good thing for the environment. London will encourage more competitors from around the world to attend by offering free flights to the atheletes. I would think many poor countries will welcome that. A lot of countries have better things to spend money on than the olympics. Imagine a game where every country has a full set of atheletes instead of the two marathon runners that are often sent by some African countries.

I haven't heard anyting about invitations to restaurants though.
Englishman no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #764
Muyangguniang
T H E H A G U E

Likes (Received): 293

Muyangguniang no está en línea  
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #765
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

ok, is a long time that forumers are talking about how easy is gonna be for london to get the games. i think the five cities have options, because all of them are great cities, and don't need any kind of extra help.
i'm not against london, of course not, but i don't like the way, in mo too sure about winning, shows so little respect to the other cities.
have you heard any polemic about madrid? or moskow?
i know is so difficult for madrid to get the games, because we are playing with 4 of the most important cities in the world, and madrid is the smaller and the less known of them.
i think madrid has a great project, so well considered by the IOC, with most of the sites just ready or under construction. It will be possible to go to all the events by public transport, and the athletes could go just walking from the olympic village. that's important, because the idea is to make the games without any impact over the enviroment.
about if we are ready or not to hold the games, ok, just look at barcelona, i think we can do it at least at the same level.
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:03 AM   #766
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Ha....all i've been hearing from many brits is 'no chance we will get it'...'Paris has it in the bad' etc.

I actually do wish we were more confident!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:26 AM   #767
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
ok, is a long time that forumers are talking about how easy is gonna be for london to get the games. i think the five cities have options, because all of them are great cities, and don't need any kind of extra help.
i'm not against london, of course not, but i don't like the way, in mo too sure about winning, shows so little respect to the other cities.
have you heard any polemic about madrid? or moskow?
The queen was quoted a while ago as saying Paris will proably get the games, the London Mayor said Paris si stilll the favourite.

However most Londoners and Brits think we would do a very good job, however the British in some ways are pesamistic, dispite how good we think our bid is it is impossible to say we a sure of victory - and I can't say I've seen anyone say that.

I personally hink the games in London could be the best ever, I think Madrid's bid will and is likely to be knocked because Barcelona had the games not so long ago. Moscows olympic village certainly looks very good - I'm not sure if the last time they held it may be too recent. Paris has the avantage the main stadium is in place - but the disadvantage that it will be old and possibly the split sites will not be well recieved - yet as they have bid 3 times running this could count in their favour. I wonder how the stadium problems and seemingly less enthusaism in NY for the olympics will affect their bid in addition to having previous games in the US not too long ago.

Quote:
i know is so difficult for madrid to get the games, because we are playing with 4 of the most important cities in the world, and madrid is the smaller and the less known of them.
i think madrid has a great project, so well considered by the IOC, with most of the sites just ready or under construction. It will be possible to go to all the events by public transport, and the athletes could go just walking from the olympic village. that's important, because the idea is to make the games without any impact over the enviroment.
about if we are ready or not to hold the games, ok, just look at barcelona, i think we can do it at least at the same level.
These are no doubt 5 great cities, none will do a bad job of the olympics, fingers crossed, but of course one must win.

A lot of London's buildings are built or underconstruction. The olympic village is in walking distance from the main stadium, the velo drome, hockey pitch etc. All venues are accessible by public transport I believe.

Madrid's bid looks good, as I said above I think it may suffer from Barcelona rather than benefiting from it however.
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM   #768
Borja
SketchUp Designer

Likes (Received): 0

Madrid is the best. Madrid 2012 Olympic City.
Borja no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM   #769
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
Ah I'm not so sure about that. No matter where the olympics are held (especially in New York City) the stadiums will be full.
The atheltics stadium is always going to be full for the big finals but I recall alot of empty seats for the smaller events/stadiums and qualifing in greece. It maybe a bit of a generalisation but I'v always had the impression that the British are more inclined to watch neutral sporting events(as in ones without any British sports person involved) than most other nations.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2005, 07:36 PM   #770
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

i agree. having a brit there is just a bonus and a damn excuse to scream alot. for eg: bham has in the past packed out world skating champs, world gymnastics champs, badminton champs etc etc most of which we are crap at lol
brummad no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM   #771
Flagg1982
BANNED

JO-2012 - Jacques Rogge lance un avertissement aux villes candidates
20/04/2005 10h25 - AFP

BERLIN, 20 avr (AFP) - Le président du Comité international olympique (CIO), Jacques Rogge, a lancé un avertissement aux cinq villes candidates à l'organisation des JO-2012 (Londres, New York, Paris, Madrid et Moscou) pour qu'elles ne se livrent pas à des surenchères de dernière minute.
Interrogé mercredi matin lors d'un petit déjeuner de presse, sur les offres nouvelles faites par Londres et New York en direction des comités olympiques nationaux et des athlètes, Jacques Rogge a rappelé que la commission d'éthique du CIO étudiait la question et que "si ces propositions n'étaient pas convenables, on demanderait aux villes de les retirer".
"Nous ne voulons pas revenir à des pratiques du passé et au scandale que nous avons connu pour Salt Lake City", a dit Rogge. "Nous sortons d'une période d'excès, de scandale, et nous ne voulons pas retomber dedans".
Pour le président du CIO, il s'agit d'éviter "une guerre des derniers jours" entre candidates, assortie de "promesses" et "d'argent jeté par les fenêtres".
Le CIO veut s'en tenir au document fourni par la ville candidate à la commission d'évaluation.
Londres 2012 avait annoncé lundi à Berlin, lors du Congrès Sportaccord, son intention d'offrir des tarifs préférentiels aux athlètes et aux Comités nationaux olympiques (CNO) qui participeront aux jeux Olympiques et Paralympiques si Londres est élue à Singapour le 6 juillet.
Une des mesures annoncée était un crédit de 50.000 dollars alloué à tous les Comités olympiques nationaux présents aux JO-2012 "pour compenser le coût d'utilisation des lieux d'entraînement".
Londres 2012 prévoyait également d'offrir aux athlètes des réductions de 20 à 50 % sur une liste des restaurants, magasins et théâtres londoniens, la gratuité du séjour pour les familles des athlètes paralympiques ou des billets d'avion gratuits.
Dimanche, New York avait offert d'aider à la promotion des "sports mineurs" d'ici aux JO-2012.
Ces différentes propositions ne figureraient pas dans les dossiers de candidature présentés à la commission d'évaluation.
L'annonce de cette série de mesures a fait l'objet d'une étude de la part du comité d'éthique du CIO, qui devrait donner son verdict d'ici 48 heures, selon Jacques Rogge.

Rogue is pissed.

Sorry London.Nice try.
Better luck next time.
Flagg1982 no está en línea  
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:18 PM   #772
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

^ that's just what i said before, it's not my opinion, is in the press
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:33 PM   #773
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

There shouldn't be a problem becasue apparently this was all costed in the documents previously handed in. Having said that I think it's more and more likely that Paris will win purely because it's their third time - it would be a stupid reason to win in some ways but I suppose it shows commitment.
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM   #774
MaTech

Likes (Received): 8

Madrid, because the project and never had oplimpic games. I think Madrid is a good option

Costa del Sol, best weather in Europe
MaTech no está en línea  
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:42 PM   #775
Pucelano77
Pucela 4ever!

Likes (Received): 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun57
obviously Paris if the only city able to host the games

1. Paris
2. London (brits are willing to corrupt voters)

the others cities can't win.
NY after Atlanta 96 : it would be a shame (fed up with america)
Madrid after Barcelona 92 : impossible (too expensive for such a poor country)
Moscow : an other undevelopped country to host the games after Beijing, it's a joke !

Don't be stupid.... Paris capital of the world forever
You are the only undeveloped around here.

Nuestra mayor identidad cultural es la incultura...
Pucelano77 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM   #776
Jordy_bcn

1.Madrid
2.NY
3.London
4.Paris
5.Moscow
Jordy_bcn no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM   #777
Manu84
BANNED

1.Madrid
2.London
3.Paris
4.NY
5.Moscow
Manu84 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM   #778
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

1. London
2. Moscow (if London doesn't win then i want moscow to...that would cause a bit of a stir me thinks )
3. Not really fussed
Madman no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #779
eduvigis1975

1 Madrid.
2 Paris.
3 London.
4 Moscow.
5 NY.
eduvigis1975 no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #780
Azcamadrid

Likes (Received): 1

Paris is too much low in this poll, It should be the first or the second.

http://avantia.miniville.fr/
http://avantia.miniville.fr/ind
http://avantia.miniville.fr/tra
http://avantia.miniville.fr/sec
http://avantia.miniville.fr/env
Azcamadrid no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016