daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #61
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

well nick taylor, it's getting a bit tiring this "crying-all-ove-the place" that London has never won the bidding process and saved the Olympic games, and should then have it now etc....crap, crap , crap !!

If you think London should have the Games, just stick on what makes your bid the greatest and stop calling back on the facts of History !!

You hosted the Games twice, period ! As did Paris !
kony no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #62
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
ok. no problems. if you win, give this olympic games us.
Hang on - your now saying that if London wins the bidding process, then London should hand it Moscow - where is the logic in that What is your point

Kony - But is stupid to say that London has held the games twice when on both occasions it was the fallback city - London wouldn't have had to have hosted the Olympics had events at the original cities not taken place!!! I find it a joke that a city that never won the bidding process and then successfully getting the games is put down against cities that won the bidding process and then received the games such as Paris - its a bit short sighted and idiotic to say otherwise!!!! If you can't recognise that its not a clear black and white problem then your priorities and intelligence are sorely misguided
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:19 PM   #63
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1746

Well it will prolly be between Ldn and Paris.
NY would have a chance- if it had the transport. On its site it says that the venues would be on rail and river routes. River! What a joke. River isn't very efficent, and rail is OK, but I thought NY had an underground...
London is improving on a big scale so all of London's things will be new in 2012, and up to Paris' standard, but Paris' things will be older.
London has: Tram, Underground and CTRL extensions by 2012. Also has a proposed monorail, yet few plans or images have been released. London Olympics will be the most compact games ever, and will be in the Lea Valley with nightly concerts in Hyde Park. Also one of the most scenicly varied games.
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #64
Citizen

Likes (Received): 47

The fight will be between Paris and Madrid. Moscow is an enourmous city which has some important lacks according to the IOC. New York has the problem of 11-S and since they were told about the problems of their project they have just copied the project of Madrid/Paris (both are very similar). London will find some disadvantages with this new problem of corruption.

We all know that the best mark was given to Paris, but Madrid was very close.

On the aother hand, there are no Latinamerican cities, so it will be absolutely normal if their votes go to Madrid, a city where its own language is spoken.

Good lack to everyone
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #65
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Now that the corruption has been exposed it's has far less chance of playing a part in who wins.
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM   #66
nick_taylor
BANNED

Citizen - How will London be at a disadvantage with this new problem of corruption???? There has been no wrong doing by London whatsoever - it was the BBC in a Panorama documentary that went under cover to show that IOC members were buying votes...not London - please people get your facts right.......it doesn't look good on yourself when you start accusatioins when it was not corruption in the London bid....but corruption of the IOC!!!
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM   #67
kony

my dear nick, really i don't know what te results are going to be for this process...but u seem to be very concerned about how the london bid is doing...And somehow it makes me think of all the troubles and the buzz about the london bid...too much noise..

look at paris and madrid...as smart students they have a head down attitude and they work on their bid...

A city bid doesn't have to be all over the place to convince anyone...
kony no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #68
benmabillon

Likes (Received): 2

Don't automatically count on the Latin-American vote for Madrid. Paris has close ties to many Latin American nations (Portuguese is not spoken in Madrid, but France shares a border with Brazil thanks to La Guyane) and has had much better relations with latin american progressives for the past 50 years than Spain. Check last year at the security council about Irak: Mexico and Chile voted against the US alongside France while Spain was alone following Washington (and thus proved that she had no leadership position in Latin America).
benmabillon no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #69
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Iraq shouldn't play any part in where the games go, if it does the country in question should loose their vote.
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #70
nick_taylor
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
my dear nick, really i don't know what te results are going to be for this process...but u seem to be very concerned about how the london bid is doing...And somehow it makes me think of all the troubles and the buzz about the london bid...too much noise..

look at paris and madrid...as smart students they have a head down attitude and they work on their bid...

A city bid doesn't have to be all over the place to convince anyone...
LOL - I dunno about you, but unless you didn't notice......I'm not actually a part of the London Olympic bid team

London is doing well as it is - I suspect that it will pull through in the end though
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #71
kony

yeah...i hope you will be next to me to toast at london's success at the announcement of the winner in less than one year
kony no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #72
benmabillon

Likes (Received): 2

I was not arguing that Iraq will play a role but I was using the Iraq example to show that Spain has no leadership position in Latin America, of which you might conclude that the Latin American vote will not automaticaly go to Madrid.
benmabillon no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #73
raypoz

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmabillon
I was not arguing that Iraq will play a role but I was using the Iraq example to show that Spain has no leadership position in Latin America, of which you might conclude that the Latin American vote will not automaticaly go to Madrid.
agree.

Old August 9th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #74
randy007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
not agree
randy007 no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #75
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Paris, just like London, it has everything it needs to host them. And we didn't had them for about quiet some time.
USA had them recently in Atlanta, Spain in Barcelona.
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #76
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/new...&id=1092069941
Mekky II no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #77
mdet04
mdet04

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Don't automatically count on the Latin-American vote for Madrid. Paris has close ties to many Latin American nations (Portuguese is not spoken in Madrid, but France shares a border with Brazil thanks to La Guyane) and has had much better relations with latin american progressives for the past 50 years than Spain. Check last year at the security council about Irak: Mexico and Chile voted against the US alongside France while Spain was alone following Washington (and thus proved that she had no leadership position in Latin America).
OK, suppose us that Spain doesn't have a leadership position in Latin America!! But, really, do you think that France has a leadership position in Brazil thanks to la Guyane??

I think that you don't know very well about you're speaking: the Convention of the most important cities in Latin America they have already signed a letter to support the spanish candidature face theirs owns IOCs!!

Madrid must to host the Olimpic Games because it's the only city that never host them (with New York, but in USA they have been in Atlanta and in Salt Lake City). The others cities they have already hosted the Olimpic Games (for Paris would be the third time).

Madrid is a wonderful city and the spanish people, like we have shold you in Barcelona (they were the best Olimpic Games in the History and the most spectacular), we are good organizating events. Madrid would be the best choice, if it hosted the Olimpic Games all the city would be a big party!!
mdet04 no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #78
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6824

well, if Juan Antonio Samaranch still be as IOC president we didn't have a scandal in SLC.

This story make a good chance for Moscow.
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #79
Citizen

Likes (Received): 47

benmabillon, I have not said that the Latinamerican vote will automatically go to Spain. What I was trying to say is that itīs normal that Spain have some advantages among the other candidates. Most Latinamerican people prefer Madrid for 2012 Olympics as well as Barcelona got 1992 Olympics thanks to the Latinamerican vote. Nothing to do with politicians or economy: a simple matter of language and culture.

But I donīt mean Spanish hegemony in Latinamerica or things like that.

And another thing: I perfectly know that in Brazil the language spoken is Portuguese, but I think that you donīt know that the foreign language most spoken in Brazil is Spanish, and of course, if even they donīt know Spanish, itīs easier for Brazilians understand Spanish that French.

And donīt get angry, these are only arguments, never personal attacks.
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #80
Genį
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

I hoped for the 2012 Olympics to be in Istanbul, seeing as they will host the Champions Leauge final, and the F1 Grand Prix, and succesfully hosted the Eurovision Song contest. (There is also a Turkish rally...)

But seeing as it wasn't meant to be, I'm gonna go for Moscow, just to be different.
Genį no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016