daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM   #821
Relay

Likes (Received): 0

I cant understand where the stadiums and infrastructure of the sport would be if New York get it? I still think Paris will have the game.
Relay no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:39 PM   #822
Zimoune
Zimoune

Likes (Received): 5

hope so...
Zimoune no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM   #823
TwilightSpiral

Likes (Received):

London by just a little

Although all except New York's unthoughtful design are attractive, I'd have to say the best is London. I like the heart design in Paris', but it's a little too "fun" looking...after all, about this time is supposed to be the "climax" of our civilization today...as hinted by a few Mayan, Egyptian and Vedic prophecies...we need a real timeless looking logo and the city to match. Although I am pulling for Paris to host the games that year, I believe these designs are the best:

London
Madrid
Paris
Moscow
New York

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM   #824
GASpedal

Moscow is definitely up with the best.
Nice layout and typography, clear lines. Not an overwhelming design but the best in this group.

Paris... good idea, though the font looks a little bit childish to me. It's about the same what they did with the Tour logo:

Very French logo.

London is okay. Shape of the Thames is for insiders only.
Simple but good.

New York: Didn't get the idea at first.
Nice idea!
I don't like this bright cyan colour and the very colourfull "2012".

Madrid: Very ...simple.
GASpedal no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:28 AM   #825
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Likes (Received): 5

1. Madrid
2. New York
3. Moscow
4. Paris
5. London

Madrid and NYC are the only ones to have never hosted the Olympics before, so in my opinion the Games should go to one of them. Preferably the former because it has a better project, because Barcelona'92 were better than Atlanta'96 and are farther away in time, and... uh, well, also because it's where live . Moscow had them but were heavily boycotted, so it goes next. Paris and London both have had them not only once but twice before; I wouldn't even have allowed them to bid for their third Games, there being so many other important cities around the world that have never hosted them. But if I have to choose, first Paris and then London because Paris lost two other bids recently.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:47 PM   #826
yyyves

Likes (Received): 10

Its gotta be New York, what a brillant idea...they cd even do without writing the cityname...

Rgds yyyves
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #827
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

remember london has never bid for a games...only staged them after a war and after another city pulled out
brummad no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:57 PM   #828
fosterito
murcia-madrid

my vote goes for Madrid. I think it's going to be difficult, all cities are really good, but i hope madrid will win.
fosterito no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:30 PM   #829
Erektion

Likes (Received): 55

It's really interesting reading from page 1 onwards...I just didn't expect to have to come all the way down to page 34 to put in my two cents! (I didn't want to skip anything)
Anyway, I think it's best to view the bids not from any emotional attachment but purely for the "games" success. If you bother to look back it's quite boring reading everyone from France saying Paris, the U.S voting N.Y and so on... Of course this will be their vote. So here's one from a guy in Australia who's personally experienced the whole thing quite recently and basically understands what a city/country must do to make it successful.
On this level I predict London to get it.
After viewing all the websites for all bids and anything else I could get my hands on, theirs appears the most organised and planned. That's not to say the others aren't great...just not quite there.
On an emotive level...I would like to see Madrid get it. Of all the cities bidding I personally find the Spaniards incredibly passionate and Barcelona's success really still shines today.

Now how about this for a suggestion..?
Instead of cities bidding for years and investing tens of millions into what is essentially a black hole, why doesn't the IOC "INVITE" cities to hold them?
Let them do the hard work. Let them work it all out. They get to chose and move it around fairly. It's such an agonising thing to go through, and especially for the people of a losing city. I nearly died when Melbourne lost to Atlanta.

Anyway, that's my two cents... and good luck to the eventual winner. You're in for a mighty ride!
Erektion no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:38 PM   #830
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

great that u did find the strenght to read the full thread !!!

cool contribution...but aren't you biaised too?? Australia ----> british ex-colony !

ah ah, no i'm just kidding, i know some international Aussies sportsmen are supporting paris
kony no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:49 PM   #831
Erektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony
great that u did find the strenght to read the full thread !!!

cool contribution...but aren't you biaised too?? Australia ----> british ex-colony !

ah ah, no i'm just kidding, i know some international Aussies sportsmen are supporting paris
Thanks mate!
Funny you mention the ex-colony thing because I actually come from a Greek background...and wasn't Athen's so surprisingly magnificent!!!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:53 PM   #832
Tosco
Nid de Poule

It's going to be between London and Madrid.
Tosco no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #833
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

^in this poll yes, but sadly(i think Madrid's bid is good) the race is between NY, Paris and London.
Madman no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:08 PM   #834
randy007
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
^in this poll yes, but sadly(i think Madrid's bid is good) the race is between NY, Paris and London.
please don't make me laugh. The faborite cities are Paris and Madrid, sorry
randy007 no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM   #835
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Dont be sorry, we all dont know which city is going to win but i doubt outside continental europe Madrid is considered a favourite. Barcelona hosted a great games, but London and Paris are offering as good/better proposals as Madrid,that will bring the games to countries that havent held it in over 60yrs (by the time of the games) in Europe.

Last edited by Madman; May 3rd, 2005 at 07:55 PM.
Madman no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:33 PM   #836
Munch

Likes (Received): 1

Erektion.... putting all that money in to the black hole is a sign of real commitment, if there were no 'competition' per se then there would be less need to perform, if teh invite was arbitrary that woudl seem unfair and overly political and corrupt (more so than now).
Munch no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM   #837
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy007
please don't make me laugh. The faborite cities are Paris and Madrid, sorry
Sorry to dissapoint you but I think the two main contenders are London and Paris now. Madrid wont get an olympics so soon after Barcelona and London and Paris haven't had the games in a very long time. London and Paris are the favourites now and have very good proposals. London being better in my honest opinion.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #838
Erektion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch
Erektion.... putting all that money in to the black hole is a sign of real commitment, if there were no 'competition' per se then there would be less need to perform, if teh invite was arbitrary that woudl seem unfair and overly political and corrupt (more so than now).
Sure I accept what you're saying, and considering how corrupt some of the IOC members have displayed themselves to be, then it may not be feasible.
I guess I live in an idealistic world where organisations are responsible for what they do.
Imagine what you could do with the $100+ million spent on purely bidding for the games??!! I think the IOC has become a bit of a "fat cat" and are abusing the fortunate position that they are in.
It was just an idea
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #839
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1657

LONDON ,
Anniyan no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:19 AM   #840
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Latest odds from william hill!

11-10 Paris
5-4 London
7-1 Madrid
8-1 New York
20-1 Moscow

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016