daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 10th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #861
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

IRA is nothing compared to islamic terrorism... And I don't think IRA will interfere into olympic games. Islamic terrorism - highly possible. But do MI5 have experience with islamic terrorism?

Moscow was stereotypicaly in outsiders before shortlisting. Rio was on top. But Moscow passed. Rio not.

Which IOC report do you refering to?

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #862
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Yes the number of arrests and the 4 attempt attacks on London that were foiled by MI5.

It is not a case of whether the IRA would attack, it is the numerous times they have bombed london in the past that gives mi5 experience. There are no bins anywhere in train stations or on the underground because of the IRA, there are roadblocks coming into the city of London called the 'ring of steel' to randomly search vehicles coming into the city of London. And to be honest you saying that the 5000 people who have died because of the IRA is nothing, it is actually quite offensive.

The initial report which decided which cities would gon forward to election. It ranked the cities 1st Paris, 2nd Madrid, 3rd London, 4th New York and 5th Moscow.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:14 AM   #863
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Maybe he didnt know!

Heck I didnt know the toll was up to 5000!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #864
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Yep obviously the overwhelming majority were in NI. But I think that figure is for the whole of the throubles not just the provos.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #865
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Likes (Received): 1

Errrrrr!

The IRA is no longer a threat. Other factions are however. As is Al Quikidooble.

Every western city is a target.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:45 AM   #866
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Errrrrr!

Yes we know, coth suggested that MI5 knew nothing about how to deal with terrorism, when they quite clearly have 30 years of experience. Go back and read the thread.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #867
EnglishKevin
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
IRA is nothing compared to islamic terrorism... And I don't think IRA will interfere into olympic games. Islamic terrorism - highly possible. But do MI5 have experience with islamic terrorism?

Moscow was stereotypicaly in outsiders before shortlisting. Rio was on top. But Moscow passed. Rio not.

Which IOC report do you refering to?
-----------------------------------------------

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about . Only a fool opens his mouth about things he is ignorant of .

The British are very experienced in dealing with terrorism and anti-terrorism in relation to the IRA over half a century + and that of other organisations - Libyan embassy seige , anti-israeli bombs in London . Moscow has never experienced a sustained campaign by a terrorist group spread over decades .
EnglishKevin no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #868
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Well, when it comes to terrorism, London and Madrid should be sure wins.

- London: experience, lots of precautions already in place and a wary public.
- Madrid: chickened out after the last attack, so little need to pounce them again.

Compare with:

- Moscow: several idiotic incidents in the past years, some of them handled absolutely horribly.
- Paris: extra threat due to the headscarves ban. No way that decision has yet been forgotten and it angers a different group of extremists than the ones against the war, the latter are all in Iraq.
- NYC: remains a status symbol to take down for terrorists, especially if that new WTC is ever built.

Meh. Two more months and we'll known what the IOC thinks.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #869
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzilla
Well, when it comes to terrorism, London and Madrid should be sure wins.

- London: experience, lots of precautions already in place and a wary public.
- Madrid: chickened out after the last attack, so little need to pounce them again.

Compare with:

- Moscow: several idiotic incidents in the past years, some of them handled absolutely horribly.
- Paris: extra threat due to the headscarves ban. No way that decision has yet been forgotten and it angers a different group of extremists than the ones against the war, the latter are all in Iraq.
- NYC: remains a status symbol to take down for terrorists, especially if that new WTC is ever built.

Meh. Two more months and we'll known what the IOC thinks.
Madrid seems to suffer still from it's seperatist movement - though not on the scale of Moscow.
Englishman no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #870
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzilla
Why do outsiders (especially Americans and other anglophones) insist in repeating this outrageous libel??

Two million Madrilenians (half the city's population) taking massively to the streets under the rain the day right after the attacks, calling the terrorists bastard cowards, when we all knew they were still right here among us and could have been prepared to place bombs within the crowd, is what you consider a proof of people "chickening out" to the terrorists??!! I cannot remember hearing about a citizen response anywhere at all comparable when NYC, or other cities, were hit.

I'm sick and tired of hearing this insult repeated again and again from people who were not here when that all happened, who seemingly haven't the foggiest idea about the Spaniards' firm stand against terrorists over three long decades, nor either about why we ousted Aznar from government.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #871
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

¡Tranquilo, hombre!
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:17 AM   #872
artistaycreativo
Madridarenófilo

Likes (Received): 17

MADRID 2M12

Last edited by artistaycreativo; May 12th, 2005 at 05:45 AM.
artistaycreativo no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #873
indiafastforward

Likes (Received): 0

None of them!

I'm so sick of western countries dominating the hosting for the Olympics, especially the United States. My personal vote goes to Sao Paulo, Brazil, Bangalore, India, or Johannesburg, South Africa. Let's spread the wealth a little bit.
indiafastforward no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #874
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiafastforward
I'm so sick of western countries dominating the hosting for the Olympics, especially the United States. My personal vote goes to Sao Paulo, Brazil, Bangalore, India, or Johannesburg, South Africa. Let's spread the wealth a little bit.
Have you actually thought that on of the main reasons for this might just be the cost of hosting the thing, especially building the infrastructure?
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #875
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier BF
why we ousted Aznar from government
Aznar wasn't even re-electable. Spain did choose not to elect Mariano Rajoy, despite the People's Party leading the polls.

I'll take back the "chickened out", but I cannot dismiss the possibility that the attacks influenced the elections, especially not when the murder of Pim Fortuyn a week before elections did the same in the Netherlands a few years ago (it gave his party such a boost that it had trouble finding reasonable representatives and indeed the coalition they formed collapsed in a year after bickering).

Last edited by Capzilla; May 12th, 2005 at 02:29 PM.
Capzilla no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #876
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 393

I'm sure that Madrid in 2012 will have the same accomodation level of Paris, Nyc and London, about trasportation I don't agree with Power Index, it's impossible that the great and very efficent Madrid transport can be compared to a unefficent and old transport like London's....
FabriFlorence no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #877
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabriFlorence
I'm sure that Madrid in 2012 will have the same accomodation level of Paris, Nyc and London, about trasportation I don't agree with Power Index, it's impossible that the great and very efficent Madrid transport can be compared to a unefficent and old transport like London's....
Can you tell me how many train lines and how many trains will be serving hte Madrid olympic park?

Below are London's public transport plans

Quote:
And fans would also enjoy rapid and regular transport, with London's plans built around the 10 lines serving the Olympic Park, the main venue for much of the Olympic and Paralympic action.

Nine of the lines already exist with the tenth, the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) through the new Stratford International station, already well under way.

The CTRL line would carry the Olympic Javelin high-speed shuttle service, which would whisk fans between central London and the Park in just seven minutes and onto continental Europe in 45 minutes.

Along with the improved services on the Underground's Jubilee and Central Lines, the transport options into the Park would mean a train every 15 seconds.

The Tube and rail network, serving the Park and the wider entire Olympic city, would remain open until 2.30am every day during the Games, and would even operate for 24 hours on the days of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #878
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Errrrrr!

Yes we know, coth suggested that MI5 knew nothing about how to deal with terrorism, when they quite clearly have 30 years of experience. Go back and read the thread.
Hohoho. Russian special forces was found in 1549. As for last decades. Do you really think that MI5 and MI6 have more experience than NKVD, KGB, FSB and GRU?
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #879
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

"unefficent and old transport like London's...."

False negative stereotype....also did you know...all buses, trains and taxis in London are wheelchair accessible...which other city can boast that?!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #880
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Whatever you say coth, there have been high profile attacks carried out on planes, theatres and schools in Russia, and in both the school and teatre things didn't really turn out well - in part because of poor procedures, in part due to bad luck, in any case unfortunately it doesn't seem the Russian security forces have managed to stop the people doing these attacks - only an optamist would suggest that the olympics wouldn't make a nice target for terrorists and from the two most high profile attacks in Russia I could understand holding such a high profile event may worry some people.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016