daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #961
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

Ny is actually bottom in home support if thats what you're on about!

In a recent poll only 59% of the people living in NY want the games!
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #962
kony
Registered User
 
kony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong-Kong / Paris
Posts: 5,370
Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
In a recent poll only 59% of the people living in NY want the games!
this is old news, this poll was made back in december...
kony no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #963
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

"the 1992 games, are far enough from 2012 and i think is not a problem, maybe you want to see it as a problem...."


You must not count the years since the 1992 games.....but how many games have past since....3 is the answer....and it will be 4 by the the time 2012 rolls around....doesnt seem that far now does it?

There has been 14 since it was last in the UK (winter and summer)....15 by the time 2012 rolls around!
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #964
exciter
excitersky
 
exciter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madrid
Posts: 421
Likes (Received): 2

about 'the greatest' picture of 'the greatest' world (why not the hole space?) tournament....need to say anything about it
__________________
excitersky
exciter no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #965
kony
Registered User
 
kony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hong-Kong / Paris
Posts: 5,370
Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
about 'the greatest' picture of 'the greatest' world (why not the hole space?) tournament....need to say anything about it
ha ha !!! well done
kony no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #966
exciter
excitersky
 
exciter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madrid
Posts: 421
Likes (Received): 2

don't forget the OG are a question of cities, not countries, so madrid is the only one with NY without games in the history, doesn't matter how far london and paris held the games, the thing is that both did it before, that's all
__________________
excitersky
exciter no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #967
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,239
Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
don't forget the OG are a question of cities, not countries, so madrid is the only one with NY without games in the history, doesn't matter how far london and paris held the games, the thing is that both did it before, that's all
Why doesnt it matter? surely if they were holding them in 2008 it would matter a hell of a lot more than holding them decades ago.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #968
EnglishKevin
BANNED
 
EnglishKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 574
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
don't you heard about the madrid masters series?
was chosen for the ATP as the best tournment in 2003?
about the 'box' all the roofs can be open
===========

They're trying to tell you that Spain does not have a tennis Grand Slam tournament . I believe that is how they refer to the major tennis championships . They are : Wimbledon , US open , Australian open and French open .

The Australians copied Wimbledon's design for the Sydney olympics .

BTW ; they are adding a sliding roofing to Wimbledon's new court . So there goes your indoor/outdoor point .
EnglishKevin no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #969
EnglishKevin
BANNED
 
EnglishKevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 574
Likes (Received): 1

Fantastic Wimbledon photo Nick Taylor . Well done .
EnglishKevin no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #970
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

the 1992 games, are far enough from 2012 and i think is not a problem, maybe you want to see it as a problem...."


You must not count the years since the 1992 games.....but how many games have past since....3 is the answer....and it will be 4 by the the time 2012 rolls around....doesnt seem that far now does it?

There has been 14 since it was last in the UK (winter and summer)....15 by the time 2012 rolls around!



Ill post this again as it was missed, being the last post of the previous page...Oh and looking at previous posts....Its not the cities that there looking at, it is the country....and even the continents....One of the reasons NYs odd are so low is because Canada will have the winter Olympics a few years before!
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM   #971
JDRS
Against ID Cards
 
JDRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 9,767
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
don't forget the OG are a question of cities, not countries, so madrid is the only one with NY without games in the history, doesn't matter how far london and paris held the games, the thing is that both did it before, that's all
Don't be stupid. Of course it matters the difference between the holding of olympics in one particular country. Would it be fair if the UK had the olympics every other year but in different cities? No. The fact is that Spain has had the games recently and so it shouldn't have them again. And I don't think it will.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:34 AM   #972
willo
Me&Me
 
willo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,039
Likes (Received): 13

bah, yo can say wimbledon is an important tournament in terms of history, but you can't state it is the best tennis tournament in the world.that's a subjetive opinion.

as i see it, i prefer roland garros because i don't like tennis on grass. it is more slowly
willo no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #973
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

Many tennis players see wimbledon and the tennis tournament!

Depends how you define best though
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #974
Citrus-Fruit
BANNED
 
Citrus-Fruit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 267
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo
bah, yo can say wimbledon is an important tournament in terms of history, but you can't state it is the best tennis tournament in the world.that's a subjetive opinion.

as i see it, i prefer roland garros because i don't like tennis on grass. it is more slowly
Every Player talks about winning Wimbledon sorry but thats common Knowledge.

Look even Snoop Dogg and Justin Timberlake sing about Wimbledon and Center Court.
Citrus-Fruit no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #975
nick_taylor
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo
bah, yo can say wimbledon is an important tournament in terms of history, but you can't state it is the best tennis tournament in the world.that's a subjetive opinion.

as i see it, i prefer roland garros because i don't like tennis on grass. it is more slowly
Actually if you were to look at viewing figures you would note that the Wimbledon Championships have a world audience of around 1.5bn (IBM), compare that to the 2nd most viewed tennis championship: the US Open with around 0.5bn (IBM). The French and Australian Open have even less. Infact the Wimbledon Championship viewer figures are larger than all the other Grand Slam tennis championships viewer figurescombined (approx 1.1bn). Now if that isn't factual evidence over subjective opinion then my god I'll eat my own hat!
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #976
Javier BF
iHate iStuff
 
Javier BF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los varios Madriles y Madrices
Posts: 375
Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRS
Don't be stupid. Of course it matters the difference between the holding of olympics in one particular country. Would it be fair if the UK had the olympics every other year but in different cities? No. The fact is that Spain has had the games recently and so it shouldn't have them again. And I don't think it will.
No. Firstly, the fact is that the United States have recently had Los Angeles '84 and Atlanta '96: 12 years apart in the same country. Compare that to the 20 years which will separate Barcelona '92 from the 2012 Games.

Secondly, the fact is that London last hosted the Games in 1948, and those weren't even its first but its second Games, after the ones in 1908. The same can be said about Paris with its 1924 and 1900 Games. Now let me count how many years have elapsed since Madrid or New York last hosted the Games...

If there are two cities in the world that definitely shouldn't have the Games, not only in 2012, but even not ever again, those are precisely London and Paris, because there are so many important cities around the world that have never hosted the Games so far, not even once, while Paris and London both have already had the opportunity to host them, and not only once but twice (and its irrelevant whether they got them as the result of a bid or not: they had them, and had them twice, which is much much MUCH more than most cities around the world can say).

What a nerve to ask for a third time, and even to moan about how many years have elapsed since you last hosted them there, as if London or Paris deserved to be given the Games every so often.
__________________
Doce es más que diez | 5 + 7 = 10 | 12 − 6 = 8 | 9 × 9 = 69 | 10 ÷ 3 = 4 | ½ = 60% | π = 3,18480949...

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #977
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

well, most people on the forum seem to highlight two general opnions, firstly the fact that paris and london havent hosted the games in a long time, compared to spain who have hosted the games in 1992, so yes it is about a city, and yes new york and madrid havent hosted the games ever, but then for fairness sake, are those that claim that madrid and new york who have never hosted the games in favour of an african bid by cape town, as africa has never hosted any olympic games not due to the bias of the IOC but because Africa was not ready before, so when 2012 is all over and done with in about more than a month, will your opinions remain consitent in that those cities or continents who have never hosted the games and meet technical requirements should host the games? or will your opnions change..


secondly four out of the five bids are european and all have either hosted the games or had their country host the games before, so when we look at 2016 should the games go to europe or USA again?/??
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #978
exciter
excitersky
 
exciter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: madrid
Posts: 421
Likes (Received): 2

first of all, i'm posting my ideas with respect to al the forumers, so please JDRS, don't use words as 'stupid' when you answer me, this kind of things only describes the person who say it.
about an african, or sudamerican city to host the games, i think it should bee soon, by justice, maybe cape town, rio, buenos aires....
i think the games must help to give up the cities, not only to increase some tv or sponsors accounts, so, do you think in terms of economics or global image that london, paris or new york, need the games?
please be sincere and think about it
__________________
excitersky
exciter no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #979
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

Javier_BF....you will find yourself so dissapointed then come July 6th

The fact that the US had the games so close to each other LA and Atlanta was a travesty and angered many people...

And Like I said....It doesnt matter how many times a citys had the Games....its the country they look at, and how long ago they were...

I'll say this again for you...

You must not count the years since the 1992 games.....but how many games have past since....3 is the answer....and it will be 4 by the the time 2012 rolls around....doesnt seem that far now does it?

There has been 14 since it was last in the UK 15 by the time 2012 rolls around!


You say there are so many cities on the planet that havnt had the games.....yes, but that number drops massively when you look for cities in different countries which can spend billions on hosting games with no worries...!
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #980
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,016
Likes (Received): 1490

" do london, paris or new york, need the games?"

Or Madrid or Moscow!

Noboddy needs them for money....buyt im sure they all need them for different reasons...


UK, to redevelop and rundown area of London and get the rest of the UK into sport...

Though I do think NY bidded just for the sake of bidding!
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu