daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 13th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #81
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

There are few Latin-American members in the IOC, for example, there are more members of the commonwealth
Aquarius no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2004, 03:18 AM   #82
benmabillon

Likes (Received): 2

Dear Citizen, Barcelona got the 1992 Olympics not because of the "latin American vote" but because the "relentless" pressure of the IOC president Samaranch, who is Catalan (and by the way Catalans are not very interested in castillan-speaking Latin America)...This was very unethical and has not been forgotten in the Olympic world. It already has two consequences: 1st it is bad for today's candidacy by Madrid (twice Spain in 20 years is too much, and the 1st time is still disconforting); 2d it is bad for the hopes of Brussels in 2016 for the Belgian President of the IOC Jacques Rogge will still be in charge and people will be afraid to let a Belgian city win for it would look again like the "coup" by Samaranch in 1992 (and then countries would try in the future to get an IOC president elected not on objective grounds but in order to help themselves get a city elected).
So I think Madrid 2012 still has to confront the consequences of Barcelona 1992.

Last edited by benmabillon; August 14th, 2004 at 03:43 AM.
benmabillon no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:47 PM   #83
Citizen

Likes (Received): 47

Of course benmabillon, there were no free votes for Barcelona 92, they only got the Olympics due to the Samarach pressures in the IOC: you cannot believe what you are saying.

Another thing: you do know that Barcelona held one of the better Olympics in history, and evevybody remember that, so don´t be jealous, please.

And let me tell you that you should be only one who thinks that "Catalans are not very interested in castillan-speaking Latin America": there are more latinamerican people in Barcelona that in Madrid, so maybe there was "some" interest.
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #84
randy007
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen
Of course benmabillon, there were no free votes for Barcelona 92, they only got the Olympics due to the Samarach pressures in the IOC: you cannot believe what you are saying.

Another thing: you do know that Barcelona held one of the better Olympics in history, and evevybody remember that, so don´t be jealous, please.

And let me tell you that you should be only one who thinks that "Catalans are not very interested in castillan-speaking Latin America": there are more latinamerican people in Barcelona that in Madrid, so maybe there was "some" interest.
What are u talking about man? I live near Barcelona and i can say that there are more latinamerican people in madrid that in Barcelona. I can see you haven't been to madrid recently.
randy007 no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #85
mdet04
mdet04

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmabillon
So I think Madrid 2012 still has to confront the consequences of Barcelona 1992.
Yes, and the consequences can't be better!! I would like to explain you that on the candidature of Barcelona they have not only worked the city and the regional govermment(that they have made it), it was too the central govermment behind, and the three administrations they have made an incredible job, only exceeded by Sidney!!

So, the spanish we are very proud of the Olimpic Games in Barcelona and we are prepared to improve them!!
mdet04 no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #86
Citizen

I live in Madrid since 2002. Before´I´ve been living in Barcelona for 4 years. I know perfectly what I´m talking about "man"...
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #87
atlantico

Likes (Received):

Neither Moscow nor New York. hopefully Madrid, but I will also be extremely glad if either Paris or London win.

Russia is poor and backwards to host the games. The U.S. has hosted far too many games, plus they are a hateful nation. The games have to be held in teh E.U. hopefully Madrid.

Old August 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #88
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

Damn you guys! Russia is not poor! Especially Moscow!
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #89
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1746

Well you can't really say here because there might be loads of people from the US but no1 from Russia.

Id obviously like to see London host it, I think it will be between London and Paris.
I wouldnt like to see NY host it- its just not the city for it. They could of at least chosen a city which needed the re-generation.
On the NY site it says the venues would be on river and rail routes. Rail fine. RIVER! Is that a joke? I mean river is fine, but thats really bad transport. Why not put it on subway?
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #90
Sergey

Likes (Received): 4

ilike to moscow to win because they gonna build some cool stuff and bu 2012 there will be skyline.
Sergey no está en línea  
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #91
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

I'll go for NYC, they have never had any Olympics.
Old August 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #92
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Well you can't really say here because there might be loads of people from the US but no1 from Russia.

Id obviously like to see London host it, I think it will be between London and Paris.
I wouldnt like to see NY host it- its just not the city for it. They could of at least chosen a city which needed the re-generation.
On the NY site it says the venues would be on river and rail routes. Rail fine. RIVER! Is that a joke? I mean river is fine, but thats really bad transport. Why not put it on subway?
NY subway as olympic transport?
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #93
randy007
BANNED

Quote:
I live in Madrid since 2002. Before´I´ve been living in Barcelona for 4 years. I know perfectly what I´m talking about "man"...
So... you're blind
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:07 AM   #94
Citizen

A ver Randy, ke vivo en Sarriá y lo veo todos los dias... no me trates como si fuese un turista ignorante. En Barcelona hay más en porcentaje que en Madrid, pero en valor absoluto hay más en Madrid, pero porque hay el doble de habitantes. Métete en el INE, saldrías de dudas.
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #95
randy007
BANNED

Bueno de todas formas no creo que en Serrià haya muchos... Pues yo siempre que voy a Madrid veo un monton de sudamericanos... Y el metro esta lleno... Y a mi me da mas impresion de que hay mas sudamericanos en Mad que en Bcn... no se alomejor es una idea equivocada pero ya te digo que es lo que me parece a mi... ( y a bcn voy bastante pk vivo a 3/4 de hora.
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #96
Len
Saying hi from Australia

Likes (Received): 2

Why vote Madrid? Spain got an Olympics like 12 years ago in Barcelona...
Len no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM   #97
Citizen

Reasons for voting Madrid:
First: from 1992 to 2012 last 20 years, not 12
Second: How much last from LA 84 to Atlanta 96??? Only 12 years... Why USA can and Spain not??? Are there different categories of countries or something like that???
Third: the only big capital of Western Europe which has never held Olympics in history.
Fourth: It has had the second best match (only after Paris) according to the rules of the IOC.
Fifth: Paris has held twice the Olympic games.

GO MADRID!!!
Citizen no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #98
gun57

Quote:
Fifth: Paris has held twice the Olympic games.

GO MADRID!!!
1926 last time Paris hosts the games
gun57 no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:09 AM   #99
heavyzakura334
Comrade Heavy

I orignially wanted Istanbul to win... but hey, so my vote goes to Moscow becvause they need to show the world what they have now that the curtain is down.
heavyzakura334 no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:47 AM   #100
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

i am an AVID new york supporter, but it would be a great chance for Madrid or Moscow, cities that are not as famous as London, Paris, or NYC, to bloom in fame with help from the olympics. also, Athens used to be city with an antique-look (which i LOVE), but with the olympic stadiums and redevelopments and remodelling, Athens was able to emerge as a city witha nice blend of old and new.

plus, i am gonna be in college in 2012. that means i can't volunteer!
Ellatur no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016