daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1061
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
The battle is betwenn Madrid and Paris! Got it?
Actually it's well believed that the battle now is between London and Paris. Just look at the bookies odds to see that those two are in front and according to a group that monitors the voting there's just a few points seperating the two.
JDRS no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #1062
PRoViDeZ
no se na

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishKevin
============================

Don't worry . We don't want to speak third world .
let me in you, arrogant!!!
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #1063
PRoViDeZ
no se na

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastiK
In my opinion, Madrid has the best project.

Reasons:

-Madrid has the best public transport system, and the best conexion between the city center and the Olimpic village and stadium, in acordance with the time and with the km.

-Madrid in 2007 will have 277km of Metro and it is say that Madrid will have more than 330km of Metro in 2012. (only Metro, not Lights Rail systems)

-Madrid has the nearest airport to the Olimpic Village. (Barajas Airport, just some km from Olimpic Village and about 5 minutes by car)

-Madrid has the nearest Olimpic Village to the Olimpic Stadium. (not london, Madrid just 200 metres more or less, I mean, nearby)

-The Madrid´s project is the only one wich have more sports areas near the Olimpic Stadium and olimpic sports.

-Madrid has the best weather in July.

-Madrid has the best green project.

-Madrid has the bests supports out of all candidates cities: 90% of the population and all the regions and spanish institutions.

-Madrid has the cheapest project.

-Madrid has the 70% of the sport infranstructures built or under construction. (right now)

-Madrid is the only city in the world wich has 3 world championships in 2005 (and several european competitions).

-Madrid has the world record of visitors in a Master Series of Tennis (2004) and in a World Taekwondo Championship. (2005). Madrid and Spain is involved in sports more than other cities/countries.

-Madrid have right now 40.000 volunteers, and it is hope to get in 6th of July more than 60.000, the city with the most number of volunteers of the candidates.

-Madrid don´t have economic and ecologic problems (like Paris or London, were they have problems in the projects, with firms and ecological groups against the projects)

-Madrid city, spaniards, politics, institutions, firms, ... are all together involved in the project.

-Madrid don´t have "fisical" or "economic" problems as weakness points. The only problme that it has got is the Barcelona 92 (that 20 years between both, just a stupid problem if we compare the number of Olimpic Years of Paris and London).

-Madrid is the only big capital in Europe that hasn´t celebrated the Olimpic Games yet.

So, in brief, Madrid has the best project.

Regards!
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #1064
jesarm
مدريد / Мадрид / 马德里

Likes (Received): 9

GO MADRID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jesarm no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #1065
TROSKI
MaDriLEñO

London or Paris have the advantage of being, both, fairly consider world capitals. They have stronger states behind them and that means global influence. Madrid it´s doing well, present a strong bid, with a solid project, but...
Anyway i´m optimistic. Go Madrid!
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:29 AM   #1066
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

englishkevin: i don't need to fight with you, it's not my problem. i think that some other english forumers should tell you something, because you help so bad the london bid with every word you say, not very kind. read back what you say, and maybe you will be ashame yourself.
i'm sure you'll answer me, but don't worry, i wont give you an answer, we don't play the same game, nor the same level
Old May 27th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #1067
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpastiK
In my opinion, Madrid has the best project.
I'm gonna go through some of htese pointsand disagree. Don't take it offencively please, it's a discussion about olympic bids, and I don't want to gie the impression of arrogance. I focus mainly on comparing to London your specific points as those are what I know best.

Quote:
-Madrid has the best public transport system, and the best conexion between the city center and the Olimpic village and stadium, in acordance with the time and with the km.
I'm not sure that is exactly true. And fans would also enjoy rapid and regular transport, with London's plans built around the 10 lines serving the Olympic Park, the main venue for much of the Olympic and Paralympic action.

Nine of the lines already exist with the tenth, the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) through the new Stratford International station, already well under way.

The CTRL line would carry the Olympic Javelin high-speed shuttle service, which would whisk fans between central London and the Park in just seven minutes and onto continental Europe in 45 minutes.

Along with the improved services on the Underground's Jubilee and Central Lines, the transport options into the Park would mean a train every 15 seconds. How does Madrid compare to that?

Quote:
-Madrid in 2007 will have 277km of Metro and it is say that Madrid will have more than 330km of Metro in 2012. (only Metro, not Lights Rail systems)
That's still significicantly less than a lot of the other cities (possibly all). Of course Madrid is a smaller city though.

Quote:
-Madrid has the nearest airport to the Olimpic Village. (Barajas Airport, just some km from Olimpic Village and about 5 minutes by car)
Possibly true, though London city airport is only about 4 miles away, and London has the biggest international air traffic flow of any city with Heathrow, Gatwick, and Stanstead and Luton not being all that far away.

Quote:
-Madrid has the nearest Olimpic Village to the Olimpic Stadium. (not london, Madrid just 200 metres more or less, I mean, nearby)
How many of the atheletes are going to actually be within 200 metres of the stadium? Slightly concerned how dense the madrid village will be if everyone is within 200 metres and noise would be a further issue.

from the view the London olympic village really doesn't seem far away.

The location within the main Olympic Park means that 80 per cent of Olympic athletes and 95 per cent of Paralympic athletes would be within 20 minutes of their competition venues.

Athletes would have an inspirational view of the main stadium and the Olympic Flame from their apartments in the Village.
Quote:
-The Madrid´s project is the only one wich have more sports areas near the Olimpic Stadium and olimpic sports.
I don't really know exactly what you mean here. It's true that London's bid will have certain sports not near by such as sailing and rowing and football will be around the country and horseriding in Greenwich etc - in many ways use of interesting London areas is one of London's strengths.

Quote:
-Madrid has the best weather in July.
This is a point I strongly disagree with. IMO Paris and London have the best weather for the atheletes at least. Madrid may have better sunbathing weather, London and Paris ahve better conditions for endurance sports such has long distance running or rowing. In fact I think Greece was too hot for the Marathon for example.

Quote:
-Madrid has the best green project.

I don't know if you can say it is the best green project.

An unprecedented agreement between London 2012, conservation group WWF and sustainable development experts BioRegional publically states that London would host a zero-waste, low carbon Games which deliver long-term social and environmental benefits to the city.

One Planet Living is a concept developed by WWF in association with the BioRegional Development Group to encourage projects which improve quality of life without consuming excessive natural resources.

Quote:
-Madrid has the bests supports out of all candidates cities: 90% of the population and all the regions and spanish institutions.
Perhaps it's true that on paper more people support it in Madrid. Though I think all the european cities show strong signs of support.

Quote:
-Madrid has the cheapest project.
OK. Though it would be unsustainable for Spain to spend as much companred to France USA or UK. I worry Madrid underestemate their bid's costs - aren't they planning on spending less than Athens and Beijing, but that said, Spain is not as economically strong and as such it is cheaper to hire builders in Spain than the UK, yet the UK can afford it possibly more so. Did I read somewhere that London is the only city with finance in place allready?

Quote:
-Madrid has the 70% of the sport infranstructures built or under construction. (right now)
Well I can't disagree with that. It's a plane fact though comparisons with other cities it may not seem so good. I'd suspect London is simlilar, but France would have the most intact allready.

In London's favour are two huge football stadiums being completed next year, with the skills available to build the new Olympic stadium.

Quote:
-Madrid is the only city in the world wich has 3 world championships in 2005 (and several european competitions).
True I'm sure - swimming is one right?

Doesn't mean to say the others lack experiance of hosting big events. Lets be honest there are several football stadiums in London that have crowds of tens of thousands each week, each year also there are big cricket and Rugby events (Twickenham is an 80,000 seater). The London Marathon is the biggest marthon in the world ( strangely I think it's the longest and the most competed in)

Quote:
-Madrid has the world record of visitors in a Master Series of Tennis (2004) and in a World Taekwondo Championship. (2005). Madrid and Spain is involved in sports more than other cities/countries.
Wimbledon gets around 450,000 spectators each year. And frequently hosts internationals in football (including euro 96), Rugby and Cricket (and I'm sure therer are other more minor sports). I don't know if Madrid can be said to be in more sports than any other city. I don't think I've ever seen a comparison.

Quote:
-Madrid have right now 40.000 volunteers, and it is hope to get in 6th of July more than 60.000, the city with the most number of volunteers of the candidates.
Volunteers are nice. I don't know how many we have in London. uBut what do these volunteers do? Also I have to wonder how many people that volunteer in 2005 are actually gonna still be up for volunteering in 2012. Seems a bit odd to me planning to volunteer in 7 years time. However as the London marathon each year gets 7000 volunteers to help stuard the hal f a million spectators and 40,000 runners, Idoubt it should be a problem.

Quote:
-Madrid don´t have economic and ecologic problems (like Paris or London, were they have problems in the projects, with firms and ecological groups against the projects)
Well as the London bid is backed by the World Wildlife Federation, I don't think things are that bad. I don't know what the economic problems you are talking about could be.

Quote:
-Madrid city, spaniards, politics, institutions, firms, ... are all together involved in the project.
It's true also in the UK. The Prime Minister, Mayor, big companies, News Papers and a variety of other organisations are backing hte bid.

Quote:
-Madrid don´t have "fisical" or "economic" problems as weakness points. The only problme that it has got is the Barcelona 92 (that 20 years between both, just a stupid problem if we compare the number of Olimpic Years of Paris and London).
Madrid of course is not really week in any area. It is a tight race. I do think Barcelona will be a hindrance to your bid though.

Quote:
-Madrid is the only big capital in Europe that hasn´t celebrated the Olimpic Games yet.
Well, to a degree that's your country's choice to host the games in Barcelona and not Madrid. Spain is a fairly small country and I doubt that London having hosted the games about 70 years ago will be considered much.

Here I'm not trying to look down on hte Madrid bid, I'm not trying to show how good I think London's bid is, I;m just showing how a lot of the things you say are in Madrids favour aren't really much different to another city's bid.
Englishman no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #1068
DaDvD

Madrid got the second best punctuation just behind Paris! There's no point to argue: the battle is between us and Paris!
London is extremely overrated!! That's why it appears as second to Paris in many polls around the world, but those have nothing to do with the final election of the IOC members.
@Spastik: I couldn't have explained it better!
GO MADRID 2012!!!!!!!
DaDvD no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #1069
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

well we'll all know in 40 days.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #1070
DaDvD

Good luck to all in July 6!!
MADRID 2012 ALL THE WAY
DaDvD no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:08 AM   #1071
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

lol I'd like to say good luck to all. It'll be great where ever it's held. Of course I hope for London 2012
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #1072
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

I'll be in London on July 6th and if they win I will give my congrats, but I still believe and hope its New York.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #1073
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoViDeZ
let me in you, arrogant!!!

Your puke is too classy to waste on a little boy with such an inferiority complex.
Hey you can get artificial sun tans these days you know English Kevin.Don't be so uptight.
Peshu no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #1074
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
You're completely ignorant men, stop saying nonsense!
Moderators??? Where are y'all???

The battle is between Madrid and Paris! Got it?
Go Madrid 2012!!

That's alright.I'm certain that Wjfox 2002,the totally unbiased moderator will be giving English Kevin a stern warning.It'll happen any minute now.I'm sure of it.
Peshu no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1075
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 163

Englishman, thank you very much for your opinion and information, but If you don´t mind I will answer you later because I haven´t got enought time now to give you more details about Madrid´s bid.
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #1076
frommadridtothesky

Likes (Received): 42

¡Madrid!

frommadridtothesky no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #1077
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Great post englishman. DaDvD please explain how London is overrated when compared to the other competing cities? It's second in polls which look at who the members will vote for so IMO it's quite accurate.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #1078
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

From today's Evening Standard:

The revamped Millennium Dome is poised to be awarded its first major international sports event tomorrow, Standard Sport can reveal. The Dome, which will reopen in Spring 2007 as the "The O2 arena", is expected to get the goahead to stage the 2009 world gymnastics championships.

The decision is set to be taken at a meeting of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) in Helsinki. It is understood that FIG chiefs are very keen to bring the event to London. Their approval would provide a huge boost to London's bid for the 2012 Olympics. The Dome has been earmarked as the gymnastics venue if London wins July's 2012 vote. The 2009 event would provide organisers with a great opportunity to test the venue ahead of the Games.

British gymnastics officials have already struck a deal with the BBC to act as the host broadcaster for the 2009 championships. Crowds of up to 16,520 are expected to be able to watch each session of the 6-day championships involving around 1,000 gymnasts. Britain last staged the championships in Birmingham in 1995.

The 2009 event would provide the sport with a much-needed boost in the UK after its Lottery funding was cut in February because of poor performances at last year's Olympics. It would also help the Olympic bid since London has not staged as many high-profile championships as Paris.

Details of the Dome's transformation from a notorious white elephant into an entertainment venue were revealed this week. The U.S. company, Anschutz Entertainment, is heading a £500million investment in the site.
Monkey no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1079
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Monkey no está en línea  
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #1080
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

it's spectacular...................
look at the lighting.......
super............
now i dont know who to choose..............
NY and London..................
satit28 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016