daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM   #101
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

I pick London dunno why but I thought Rio was in the running as that would of been my pic. Anybody have any ideas which Australian city would host the Olympics next in a few decades or so?
swifty78 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #102
odegaard

Likes (Received): 1

excuse me while I yawn. I really don't care which city gets to host the olympics. It's not that big of a deal. Well for some people it's a big deal. I hear the Chinese are getting ridiculously excited about it. Ask yourself this question. How does the olympics help the host city/ country in the long term? it doesn't!

Yes there's a lot of excitement and money that gets created during the games but once it's over everybody forgets about it pretty quickly and the host city is stuck with a bunch of massively expensive infrastructure projects that served a purpose during the games but afterwards it becomes a white elephant.

Take for example a bobsledding track that will be needed for the winter olympics. Who's going to use a bobsledding track after the games are over? Anyways while the olympics causes more trouble then good from an economic perspective it's still fun to watch.
odegaard no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #103
[MakkabI]
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

!! New York !!
[MakkabI] no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #104
Len
Saying hi from Australia

Likes (Received): 2

..::New York::..
Len no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #105
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

Love NYC but USA again please they take home enough gold and screen time with out hosting the games as well !
And Australia is a long time of hosting the game again maybe New Zealand before we get them again
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #106
finn

Likes (Received): 2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by odegaard
excuse me while I yawn. I really don't care which city gets to host the olympics. It's not that big of a deal. Well for some people it's a big deal. I hear the Chinese are getting ridiculously excited about it. Ask yourself this question. How does the olympics help the host city/ country in the long term? it doesn't!

Yes there's a lot of excitement and money that gets created during the games but once it's over everybody forgets about it pretty quickly and the host city is stuck with a bunch of massively expensive infrastructure projects that served a purpose during the games but afterwards it becomes a white elephant.

Take for example a bobsledding track that will be needed for the winter olympics. Who's going to use a bobsledding track after the games are over? Anyways while the olympics causes more trouble then good from an economic perspective it's still fun to watch.
Well, obviously you haven't lived in a city while it was hosting the Olympics...it is an absolutely incredible experience - perhaps one of the greatest experiences of my life. The energy and excitment in the city is palpable while it is happening and the actual build-up to the event before the games is just as good, lasting for the 7 years.

I have vivid memories of when I was 12 and the Sydney Olympics were announced in 1993, and how excellent it was watching all the infrastructure and building projects under construction in the lead-up to the actual event.

It was also somewhat depressing after the Games were over.

The after-effects of the games are hard to quantify because there isnt really a way to measure what impact the coverage has had on people around the world, but more tangible effects I can note are the enormous urban renewal and redevelopment projects that have been going on in Sydney around the Olympic Park area since the games, revitalising a huge part of the metro area.
finn no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM   #107
finn

Likes (Received): 2212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trances
Love NYC but USA again please they take home enough gold and screen time with out hosting the games as well !
And Australia is a long time of hosting the game again maybe New Zealand before we get them again
Yeah, I'd love to see the Winter Olympics hosted in Queenstown!!
finn no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #108
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 10

New york of course!
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #109
therock
Italian utent

Likes (Received): 5

New York 2012 !!!
therock no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #110
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun57
I was just joking, of course Spain isn't a poor country (to me it' rather one of the most dynamic one in Europe) and i've already been in Barcelona which is really a great city.
be confident I love Spain !

europe = one nation

@ gun57
Un bien curieux et douteux sens de l’humour… pas étonnant que tu te prennes la tête avec certains « britons » comme tu dis.
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #111
Kika
Better United

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmabillon
Rich or poor, spaniards on this forum have no sense of humour and tend to be rude very quickly. On dit aussi susceptibles, ombrageux...

@ benmabillon
En voilà encore un qui a une bien curieuse idée du sens de l’humour. Pas étonnant qu’on dise que certains français on… comment dit-on déjà… une grosse gueule ?!...
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #112
Fragmentor
Funky London

[QUOTE=Landos]Frankly, I think they should make Greece the permanent home of the Summer Olympic Games. Then they can rotate the winter games, which cost much less, around the world. Greece is going to show the world what the Olympics is all about and they should reside there after the Beijing games in 2008.

why? The whole spirit is keeping the flame alive throughout the world, and it staying in Greece simply wouldnt be right, anyway, I think China will be a better Olympics, and London will better that in 2012 if we can get it
Fragmentor no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #113
Kika
Better United

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmabillon
Dear Citizen, Barcelona got the 1992 Olympics not because of the "latin American vote" but because the "relentless" pressure of the IOC president Samaranch, who is Catalan (and by the way Catalans are not very interested in castillan-speaking Latin America)...This was very unethical and has not been forgotten in the Olympic world. It already has two consequences: 1st it is bad for today's candidacy by Madrid (twice Spain in 20 years is too much, and the 1st time is still disconforting); 2d it is bad for the hopes of Brussels in 2016 for the Belgian President of the IOC Jacques Rogge will still be in charge and people will be afraid to let a Belgian city win for it would look again like the "coup" by Samaranch in 1992 (and then countries would try in the future to get an IOC president elected not on objective grounds but in order to help themselves get a city elected).
So I think Madrid 2012 still has to confront the consequences of Barcelona 1992.

@benmabillon
Et qui de toute évidence ne sait même pas de quoi il parle…
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #114
NZHigh

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn
Yeah, I'd love to see the Winter Olympics hosted in Queenstown!!
Yeah! A winter Olympics held in Queenstown, New Zealand would be awesome. I would certainly be there, but I doubt it would ever happen. The South Island has many fantastic ski fields, probably the best in the southern hemisphere. Many skiers move to the New Zealand south island for the northern hemisphere summer (winter down south then), but I think it simply is too small compared to northern standards. Then again you never know. Auckland has hosted the Americas Cup twice with great success.
NZHigh no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM   #115
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock
New York 2012 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock

1. Moscow
2. Madrid
3. London
4. Paris
5. New York
Aquarius no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:00 PM   #116
Hitesh

New York City!!!!
Hitesh no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:34 PM   #117
silly thing

i like paris
silly thing no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2004, 02:10 PM   #118
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 331

Moscow!!!
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #119
Imperial
The Wealth of Nations

Likes (Received): 5

NYC because next Olympiad will be beyond Europ and Asia
Imperial no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2004, 03:46 PM   #120
Duomot
losing track of time

Likes (Received): 202

1- Madrid
2- Paris
3- New York
4- London
5- Moscow

In fact, I think that nowadays, Madrid is the most prepared of them all. And it´s the only city in Europe that has never organised Oympic Games.
Duomot no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016