daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 12th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #121
singapore

Likes (Received):

singapore to host the Olympic decision meeting

232 Days
until The 117th IOC Session!

Singapore To Host 2005 IOC Session

Singapore will be hosting the 117th IOC Session to be held from 2 to 10 July 2005. It will be yet another meeting for sports' bigwigs. For that will be when and where the host city of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games will be announced. Which means that, as the world waits for this major announcement, the Lion City will take centre stage.

For it has been estimated that some 1,000 media personnel from around the world will come here to cover this meeting.

The candidate cities that have been short-listed to compete to host the 2012 Summer Olympic Games include Paris (FRA) New York (USA) Moscow (RUS) London (GBR) and Madrid (ESP).

The choice of Singapore is hardly surprising. It offers world class hotels, an extensive range of state-of-the-art facilities; modern communication networks; the world's best airport with excellent air links; a top-notch convention centre that can accommodate thousands of delegates and a pool of trained convention manpower.

As to why Singapore is playing host for this meeting, a statement says, "Singapore hopes that by having the privilege and honour to host the session, it will further contribute towards the Olympic movement and emphasize the aspects of arts, culture and education as an all-rounded Olympic ideal."

Event : The 117th IOC Session

Date : 2 to 10 July 2005

Venue : Raffles City Convention Centre

Leading The Way : Under the leadership of the IOC, the Singapore Organising Committee is being formed to look into the programme as well as the technical, logistic and security matters of the international session.

Ready To Serve : The Committee will comprise representatives from the major organisations and government agencies. They include the Singapore National Olympic Council, the Singapore Sports Council, the Ministry of Community Development and Sports, the Singapore Tourism Board, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Singapore Police Force, Singapore Immigration and Registration, and Singapore Customs & Excise.

Look Out For : IOC Members, Presidents, Secretary-Generals, senior
officials of National Olympic Committees and International Federations and
sponsors.

Five Cities To Compete To Host The 2012 Olympic Games

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board has short listed five cities to compete to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

Paris (FRA) New York (USA) Moscow (RUS) London (GBR) Madrid (ESP)

Evaluation Commission (EC)

Eleven Members of the EC have been appointed to visit five candidate cities to host the 2012 Olympic Games.

The chairperson of the commission is Nawal El MOUTAWAKEL (MAR). Members include : Ser Miang NG (SIN), Els van BREDA VRIESMAN (NED), Paul HENDERSON (CAN), Patrick JARVIS (CAN), Mustapha LARFAOUI (ALG), José Luis MARCO (ARG), and Sam RAMSAMY (RSA); and experts: Simon BALDERSTONE (AUS), Philippe BOVY (SUI)and Bob ELPHINlSTON (AUS).

About Singapore

Singapore is not just one island but a main island with 63 surrounding islets. The main island has a total landarea of 682 square km.

However, its compact size belies its economic growth. In just 150 years, has grown into a thriving centre of commerce and industry. Its former role as an entrepot has diminished, as the Republic has increased its manufacturing base.

Last edited by singapore; November 12th, 2004 at 10:54 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #122
Vinaboyz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I'm voting for Paris 2012. It's very long overdue.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #123
Vinaboyz
BANNED

My reasons:

New York City (No) - I don't care that 9/11 occurred there. Get over it. The US hosted it in 1996 already. If the games has to go to the Americas, it should be Canada, Mexico or Brazil.

London (No) - London is dull, Poms are boring, what more can I say?

Moscow (No) - Can the Russians afford it? The place is damn cold anyway and they've just hosted it in 1980.

Madrid (No) - Just hosted the game in 1992. Seems abit unfair that Madrid hosts 2 out of 3 Games in Europe.

Paris (Yes) - French fair, elegance, history and charm is a perfect concoction for a successful game. It's about time that France is back into the limelight againg. Afterall, it's been nearly 100 years since France's last Olympic Games.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #124
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6378

Woah ohkay stereotype much?
DarJoLe no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #125
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 393

I'm voting from Madrid, is the best city of the word and have the right to have the games, the others cities are important enought also without 2012 Olympic Games!
FabriFlorence no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #126
Vinaboyz
BANNED

I don't know that much about Madrid but tell me why so many people are rooting for Madrid?

LOL Darjole, I'm Australian and I find English accent to be very annoying. Hahaha
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #127
potto

Likes (Received): 9114

I must say I do like the Russian olympic logo
potto no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #128
potto

And the australian accent isnt annoying?!?!
potto no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #129
potto

Im suprised with the Madrid bid. Especially as Barcelona were hosts not long ago in 1992, just 3 olympics ago. Its not like Spain is a huge subcontinent of a country!

The short list is a bit predictable but the Olympics commitee are very concerened about the financial burden of the games. Instead of restricting the olympics to certain rich areas of the world perhaps they should start to look as to why the games costs have spiralled. Get back to the core of the olympics. Or is spiralling costs inevitable?

One word about London is that although it has held it twice, 1908 and 1948, I feel that London took a great burden in hosting the 1948 games as no one else wanted to host it. Interestingly not many new structures were built and the atheletes stayed in schools and barracks and even supplied their own food! Perhaps this could be an idea for a new streamlined olympics!!

The London 2012 bid is heavily integrated with the regeneration of a very neglected part of London, close to some of the poorest areas of the UK. The areas around the proposed sight have housed the poor since the spread of London during the industrial revolution and before. With the entire state built on ex-industrial land it will be a great boost to the natural environment too.

If the London bid wins it should provide for a very interesting experiment in urban regeneration that, whether it works or not, the knowledge gained will benefit cities all around the world.
potto no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #130
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Would you vote for Lisbon 2016?

Although the current discussions deal with the city that offers best conditions for the summer olympics of 2012, some other cities are willing to host the 2016 games, like Lisbon (Portugal).

At a first glance, would you back Lisbon in its bid?

Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:51 PM   #131
singapore

Likes (Received):

As an asian, I think its better for cities in other continents to be in the olympic spirit.
For 2012, there is a chance that europe or americas has the chance to host.
so it would be best for either asia or africa cities to host. maybe a ASEAN co-host bid from, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and Philipines.
or from south africa/india bid

Old November 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #132
hci1999

Likes (Received):

i agree with africa but asia will host the 2008

Old November 12th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #133
hci1999

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaboyz
My reasons:

New York City (No) - I don't care that 9/11 occurred there. Get over it. The US hosted it in 1996 already. If the games has to go to the Americas, it should be Canada, Mexico or Brazil.

London (No) - London is dull, Poms are boring, what more can I say?

Moscow (No) - Can the Russians afford it? The place is damn cold anyway and they've just hosted it in 1980.

Madrid (No) - Just hosted the game in 1992. Seems abit unfair that Madrid hosts 2 out of 3 Games in Europe.

Paris (Yes) - French fair, elegance, history and charm is a perfect concoction for a successful game. It's about time that France is back into the limelight againg. Afterall, it's been nearly 100 years since France's last Olympic Games.

i can say that you are totally convinced me. Before i read your thread i was undecided. I think you are speaking logically. However i like the logos of New York and London

Old November 12th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #134
hci1999

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto
Im suprised with the Madrid bid. Especially as Barcelona were hosts not long ago in 1992, just 3 olympics ago. Its not like Spain is a huge subcontinent of a country!

The short list is a bit predictable but the Olympics commitee are very concerened about the financial burden of the games. Instead of restricting the olympics to certain rich areas of the world perhaps they should start to look as to why the games costs have spiralled. Get back to the core of the olympics. Or is spiralling costs inevitable?

One word about London is that although it has held it twice, 1908 and 1948, I feel that London took a great burden in hosting the 1948 games as no one else wanted to host it. Interestingly not many new structures were built and the atheletes stayed in schools and barracks and even supplied their own food! Perhaps this could be an idea for a new streamlined olympics!!

The London 2012 bid is heavily integrated with the regeneration of a very neglected part of London, close to some of the poorest areas of the UK. The areas around the proposed sight have housed the poor since the spread of London during the industrial revolution and before. With the entire state built on ex-industrial land it will be a great boost to the natural environment too.

If the London bid wins it should provide for a very interesting experiment in urban regeneration that, whether it works or not, the knowledge gained will benefit cities all around the world.
Yea right. Vote for the poor Londoners please as London and UK suffers a lot from hunger and financial problems. At list if London gets the Olympics poor people will not starve at list in that area as if the other cities does not have poor people (look New York).
Why to bother with aid in Africa. Vote for London 2012 the alternative way of aiding. hahahaha

Old November 12th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #135
themongrel

come on people stop being so stupid!! LONDON LONDON LONDON ALL THE WAY
themongrel no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #136
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

No.

Buenos Aires for 2016
hngcm no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #137
Vinaboyz
BANNED

I think neither Africa nor South America (with the exception of maybe Brazil) can afford or has the ability to host the Olympic games. The 2016 Games should go to either Japan, South East Asia (joint bid and share burden), South Korea, India, Canada, Mexico or Italy.
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #138
Aguila Real
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaboyz
I think neither Africa nor South America (with the exception of maybe Brazil) can afford or has the ability to host the Olympic games. The 2016 Games should go to either Japan, South East Asia (joint bid and share burden), South Korea, India, Canada, Mexico or Italy.
agree
Aguila Real no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #139
jclornton
Warsaw

"I think neither Africa nor South America (with the exception of maybe Brazil) can afford or has the ability to host the Olympic games. The 2016 Games should go to either Japan, South East Asia (joint bid and share burden), South Korea, India, Canada, Mexico or Italy."

WHAT abosolute B/S have you been to South Africa or South America??? Surely your commments are based on who knows what. Perhaps next time it would be wiser to do your research before making such clearly ridiculous and most embarassingto yourself statements.

Cape Town can certainly host and afford to host the Games where have you been and will most likely host the games in 2020 or after a South America games but having visited both Rio and Cape Town, Rio would need to improve on their bid for 2012 in which they were not succesful and Either Toronton or Buenos Aires should host the 2016 Games. It still amazes me the level of ignorance people have about Africa, and how they stick by their silly and far fetched comments when they certainly dont know what the hell they are talking about...

LOL shame
jclornton no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #140
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto
I must say I do like the Russian olympic logo
I think the Moscow logo looks like a big "No"

Vinaboyz you are either an ape or just extremely simple, you logic is crass and leaves much to be desired
And at least the city that wins the 2012 bid can say it done it in a fair way, without the need for bribs, can Sydney say the same

And hci999 why bring aid to Africa into your silly little argument?? We give loads of aid to Africa and other poor nations, what has that got to do with London bidding for the 2012 Olympics??
high_flyer no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016