daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #1481
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

anyway, let's go with the bids.

tomorrow there's going to be a celebration in madrid. shakira will launch in all the world his new album and she will present it in madrid in order to support the spanish bid. she'll sing some songs and madrilenian people will carry a 3,5 km long flag of Madrid 2012. there are about 45.000 volunteers.
in addition there will be other sports issues and acts
willo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #1482
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

"whoaaa do you believe all bbc says"

Yes....but I do belive it was alot more that 1000.

P.S
A 3.5km flag :-o

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #1483
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

NO FROGS IN THE THAMES !

Polluted Thames Could Dampen London’s 2012 Bid
Posted 2:40 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

The EU is to begin official legal proceedings against Britain over the “massive and systematic pollution of the Thames’ River with millions of tons of raw sewage”, reports the Independent newspaper. The Thames is a vital part of London’s bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

The legal action could hamper London’s bid because the International Olympic Committee (IOC) heavily considers the environmental aspect of a bid city when it selects an Olympic Games host city.

According to the newspaper, following complaints from angling and environmental groups, Julio Garcia Burgues, head of the European Commission’s (EC) environmental infringements unit, wrote to ministers initiating legal action and asking them for their “observations”. If these do not satisfy Brussels Britain could be prosecuted.

One senior government source reportedly admits, “there is a risk that the day of the Opening Ceremony could be marked by filth floating up and down the river, and fish dying all over the place”.

Peter Ainsworth, chairman of the Commons Environmental Audit Committee said Saturday, “the government has prevaricated far too long. Now its failure to act is imperilling the Olympics”.

A London 2012 spokesman said it had “no evidence” the legal action would be relevant in deciding where the 2012 Games will be staged.
Mekky II no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #1484
Theremin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Madrid - ESP 35 45.45%
London - UK 24 31.17%
New York - US 8 10.39%
Paris - FRA 6 7.79%
Moscow - RUS 4 5.19%

Theremin no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1485
birminghamculture
BANNED

How over the top is that article

Its one of the clenest rivers in Europe and only looks dirty because of the sediment.

Deary me, they really would do anything to derail bids wouldnt they.

P.S WILLO, The English players got pissed of with your diving. I was in the pub watching the game. at first your diving was accepted as part of the spanish game, but then it got unbelievably silly with you lot falling over with a brush of your shirt. after that everyone in the pub were shouting to break thier legs and tackle them hard even before the players statred doing it.

It ruins the game when you fall on the floor every 2 seconds. you mgiht aswell play no contact in La Liga and the rest of mainland Europe.
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #1486
high_flyer

Coth if you think the BBC is biased, then the Russian media is a joke!!!
The state owned Gazprom, a gas company, has just bought Izvestia, one of Russia's oldest newspapers. Why do they need to own a newspaper?? Russia no longer has a free and balanced media, the majority is owned by the state, so it is extremely biased and afraid to critise Putin or his carefully chosen government.
The signs of a dictatorship are begining to come to the surface, I hope the Russian people enjoyed democracy whilst it lasted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4607199.stm
high_flyer no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1487
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

exactly was gonna say that the Thames is one of the cleanest rivers in Europe after massive work done after the industrial revolution, and that was only recently scuppered by some *****'s in the water companies releasing tons of sewage into the Thames due to a short period of flooding in the South East.

The Thames often looks grey because water reflects the Sky. Blue skies, blue water. I will admit, we have more cloudy days than clear. Simple as.
Peyre no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #1488
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
Arr yes the Millenium Dome, which is now being turned into the worlds largest indoor arena. Wembley being ****ed up by a group of Australians and the buisnessmen who have signed an agreement that they are for the London olympics and have even hung flags up outside thier buisnesses to show thier support.

London will complete every project before 2010. 20,000 aquatic center to start in january aswell as a 6,000 velodrome. believe me. dont worry about the UK we always get everything finished and always make sure its the best, thats why we dont have mediocre stadiums like the Stade De France in our country
would also like to say that Wembely will be hosting the 2006 FA Cup Final in May as planned. It has not be ****ed up. Multiplex, and AUSTRALIAN company didnt do it sums right and had several arguments with steel contractors and its workforce, along with those weird sniper threats to crane operators

The Dome is a fantastic piece of architecture and is now being transformed into the largest multi-pupose arena in Europe.
Peyre no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #1489
Mekky II
BANNED

Quote:
How over the top is that article

Its one of the clenest rivers in Europe and only looks dirty because of the sediment.

Deary me, they really would do anything to derail bids wouldnt they.

P.S WILLO, The English players got pissed of with your diving. I was in the pub watching the game. at first your diving was accepted as part of the spanish game, but then it got unbelievably silly with you lot falling over with a brush of your shirt. after that everyone in the pub were shouting to break thier legs and tackle them hard even before the players statred doing it.

It ruins the game when you fall on the floor every 2 seconds. you mgiht aswell play no contact in La Liga and the rest of mainland Europe.
The article is dated 29th May 2005. I am not sure European Union will laugh like you.
Mekky II no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #1490
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekky II
The article is dated 29th May 2005. I am not sure European Union will laugh like you.
Arr yes the European Union which France so loves
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM   #1491
Skylandman
BANNED

Quote:

ohh please, I love London, and it´s for sure ,one of my very favourites cities in the world...but to say that the Thames is one of the cleanest rivers of Europe is just hilarious.
Skylandman no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #1492
birminghamculture
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylandman
ohh please, I love London, and it´s for sure ,one of my very favourites cities in the world...but to say that the Thames is one of the cleanest rivers of Europe is just hilarious.
Nope its actually true.
Old June 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #1493
birminghamculture
BANNED

The Thames river is the cleanest metropolitan river in the world and is home to 120 different species of fish.
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1494
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Ok well I think it's very close to call now and the real competition is between London and Paris with some trackers putting just one point between the two. Spain had Barcelona in 1992 and this is likely to hamper it's bid. Moscow and NY aren't frontrunners. Both London and Paris have great bids but I think London's is better because it's building completely new facilities for most of the events and will still use some of the most iconic sports facilities in the world. It has a very green bid backed by the WWF and providing alot of parkland and conservation areas. Transport will be extremely good with new lines and huge improvements to transport in the area and there is strong backing from businesses, the government and increasingly the public.

Regarding the Thames, the reason it looks dirty is down to the amount of sediment it deposits and carries. Also racism has pretty much dissapeared now from English Football and I will not genralise by saying Madrid is racist but more needs to be done to comabt the scenes we saw at that football match.

Good luck all the bids but I'm hoping London gets them.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #1495
Skylandman
BANNED

Quote:
Nope its actually true.

No isn´t. Can you prove it? you can´t. I reckon that some changes have been made to improvethe situation of the river, but still, it´s very very far from being one of Europe´s cleanest rivers. As i told you, i´m a great fan of London, so i don´t wanna convert this into a London bashing thread or something like that, but to tell that the Thames is so clean is just plain false.

The river Thames: a poisoned, polluted problem?

Sewage pollution in Thames far worse than expected

Filthy Thames could wreck Games bid

Thames sewage solution 'needed'

all news taken from the british media and publised within the last year. I wouldn´t call to a river with such a problems "one of Europe´s cleanest rivers".

anyway, i also wish good luck to all the bids, specially to Madrid and London
Skylandman no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1496
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Someone please lock this thread! its getting on my nerves! and its so off topic
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #1497
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4437087.stm

http://www.rwethameswater.com/TW/div...omepage_000164

Don't want to get into an argument but it's mentioned in these two articles that the Thames is the cleanest Metroploitan river in the world.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1498
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Skylandman - Those articles refer to the freak one in a century situation of August last year (look at the date of the sources you posted) where there was severe flooding (France got extreme heat which killed hundreds on the otherhand for example) and overloaded the sewer network forcing the pollution out into the Thames. Quite simply if any other European city had experienced the flash floods that London had endured, the same would have happened. I should note that emergency oxygen production boats were placed along the River Thames as to facilitate rapid regeneration and recovery of the marine environment. I should note thought that if the River Thames was a river that was heavily polluted, it would be unable to sustain the life of hundreds of speices of water-borne life. I would also like to point to the Seine and especially the Rhein which are rivers that still have large tracts of heavy polluting industry located along them, infact these rivers are quite possibly more polluted than the Thames. Also if pollution was such a big problem, I would draw your attention to Athens which has some of the worst pollution levels of any city in Europe.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #1499
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3544

Madrid, of course!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #1500
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

right what did i say at the top of this thread....!!!

the other 2012 thread died and burned with bitching and arguing and this thread started off so well with people showing what was on offer from the cities from their own sources which was wonderful...now its just another bitch bite bitch thread. stop it please!! show off your cities and lets have a look.

i want to open this thread and marvel at the different plans not get annoyed by constand arguements..this isnt the big brother 6 UK house !!!
brummad no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016