daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #141
hugo_hlv
Huelva,Puerta dl Atlntico

Likes (Received): 48

Madrid. It,s the best city

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #142
Vinaboyz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

We didn't bribe anybody did we? We simply just gave them some money and gifts out of sympathy for the poverty in Africa. Muahahahaa
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:01 AM   #143
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Well lets face facts it wont be Madrid as much as it boast an excellent feel for an Olympic Games and in my opinion has the right cards to host the Games, when up against Paris who feel that they deserve the games and London who needs to show that they can host the Games after some events we are all aware of as well as New York's "feel sorry for us we survived a terrorist attack" Madrid although prob overall strong in terms of technical ability to host games we all know that IOC members certainly dont just go by that as an indicator.

As we all know certain IOC members have already made up their mind:

The South African member: "Well, france did not support South Africa when bidding for 2010 SWC but London did, and well dont know much about Madrid, too close to Barcelona, how greedy would that be, well Moscow and New York, well too many terrorist attacks and well i would be to scared to watch any events..."

The South America member : "Madrid but Barcelona had 1992 thats too many times for Spain, USA well we want to host the 2016 games this wont helpy us too much but maybe it could??... Paris well thats a nice place, lots of venues completed and the "favourite" (well i dont wanna look stupid) so PAris gets my vote, Moscow no shame those poor people in those bomb attacks...London mmm too cold"

The Australian Member: "Well Madrid... Barcelona 1992 so sorry mate, Moscow well us Australians hate violence so not Moscow, PAris maybe but we much closer to New York and the war on terror, as we did suport USA's war on Iraq and the US did a lot for Australia... So New York, London well they did starts Australia as we know it, but USA can do more for us..."

The Asian member: " Well, London techinically a good city but cold and needs to have more sustainable venues, oh and they withdrew from hosting the Atheltics Champs (not a good sign), Paris now they have class and venues are superb and the games concepts is excellent, New York could be very dangerous in 7 years we dont know what could happen, the games might have to be moved and that will cause lots of trouble if there are terror attacks and what a terrible thing happened in Atlanta, well we dont like them anyway, Moscow, too close too home and not too good to support, Madrid, no Barcelona had its turn in 1992... "
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #144
Mo Rush

Although many of you would disagree with me, IOC members some not all certainly do base their votes on geopolitics and when it comes down to the last two which i suspect will be London and Paris, the winner will be the one with the closest realtionship to New YOrk or Madrid which ever city placed third. This is how i see how the voting will take place (apologies for the poor sentence structure)
This is one scenario...
London wins bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games

Singapore, 10 July 2005

The city of London has been chosen by the IOC members to host the 2012 Summer Games after epic and controversial rounds of voting. Moscow was first to go gaining only a few votes, that of the Russian IOC members and a few other members and their dreams of hosting the Olympic Games in 2012 or soon crashed right before them. The next city to go would be where the Olympic Games would be decided in Round One Paris led London by 11 votes followed by New York, 22 votes behind and Madrid 6 behind New York. The next round saw Madrid fail to catch up on the 6 votes and their dream of two Spanish Games in 20 years came crashing as most suspected it would, the Russian voters in Round 2 opted for a split between London, Paris and Madrid who shared Moscows compact and functional games idea with one changing their vote from Moscow to New York.

In round three many would say the 2012 hosts were decided. Marids exit sees Paris suprisinglu decrease their lead over London from 13 to 8 votes but Paris stays in the lead. New York crashes out and managed to gain third place following a good and solid presentation to the IOC, Assuming 107 IOC members, Paris 48 London 40 New York 19. At this stage it seems as if Paris have grabbed the games... BUT New York voters (i.e. thos who voted New York) decides who wins....

Round Five

New York voters under instruction from Bush to vote for London the US members of IOC vote for London and so do the others e.g. Australia/OCeania IOC members who are closely linked to London through COmmonwealth ties... a few South Americans who voted for Paris but realise support for London could get them support from US for 2016 games,, and some others.. SO
The New YOrk voters give London 15 votes and Paris 4 votes. Thus London wins in final round 55 -52 against Paris.

This is simply a scenario, in all honesty i think Paris will win, want London to win, think Madrid on technical merits should win and New York should win on sympathy... BUT PARIS WILL DEF WIN,nothing we can do Vinaboyz (member who posted above) gives the basic reasons why this could be extended upon but overall tells the truth....
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #145
randy007
BANNED

nooooo!!!! i want Madrid to get the Olympics!!!!! the best city of the worldddddd!!!!!!!!!! OlÉ!!!! hehehehe
randy007 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #146
Vinaboyz
BANNED

I don't think London will bag the game for 2012. Definitely Paris.
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #147
Mo Rush

LOGOS SCORES ( taking into account functionality,creativity, suitability, apprapriateness for the modern world in 2012, easy on the eyes, and does it makes send to the average person, e.g. dont put your national bird as a logo which nobody not even locals know what it is...etc.) Also the logo is a brand and people should want to associate with it, so it should shout "PARIS" or "NY" etc. we shud know which bid city that is, by the graphic. As Mr. Bean would say it would be important for it to be large so that people know which city it is lol

You will prob all disagree but
/20 ask urself is the name of the city large or not, dont hide away the city name!!
/30 ask urself what the logo means, e.g. statue of liberty scores high it says USA and NYC
/30 does it stand out??? Paris muliticoloured is fine but u kinda cant read what it says too many colours sometimes plane black of London is bold and stand out and so does NYC with its colourful but not over colourful graphic, also the heart between the "S" and "2" is too subtle and no picture makes one think parisians are just about love???
/20 class?? own opinion?? look like a kids picture? its nice to be colourful but class and simplistic lines are NB like Barcelona and Sydney

LONDON 19 + 21 + 25 + 18 83/100
NEW YORK 14 + 28 + 27 + 14 83/100
PARIS 16.5 + 24 + 22 + 15 77.5/100
MOSCOW 10 + 16 + 24 + 14 64/100
MADRID 11 + 19 + 21 + 16 68/100

SO a toss up between NYC and London u decide!!! see the new poll to vote
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #148
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Mo rush , a lot of what you write is confusing , and it's not really easy to know which city you support, and where do u come from with your logic...but anyway there is a profesional site that calculate with many criterias the chance of each city to host the games, it's Gamebids.com, this is their latest ranking, they call it the BidIndex, this one was updated some days ago.

BidIndex 2012
LON 61.08
MAD 61.91
MOS 50.28
NYC 58.89
PAR 66.51

http://www.gamesbids.com/english/index.shtml
kony no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #149
rongens

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinaboyz
I don't know that much about Madrid but tell me why so many people are rooting for Madrid?

LOL Darjole, I'm Australian and I find English accent to be very annoying. Hahaha
Its really very simple.It doesnt make sense that one of the greatest cities on earth has not yet staged the games.And Spain has only staged it once,while smaller countries population wise such as Australia have already staged it twice.And thats nothing against Australia as i live in Melbourne and absolutely love it.But facts are facts.
Madrid has one of the best infrastructures in the world.Its public transportation system is absolutely fantastic.It has an underground metro with well over 200 stations with a population of 6 million.Its metro(underground) is slightly more extended then Paris which has close to double that population.Its suburban train network is also very extensive.
Madrids bus network is also great with a nightbus service thats probably more plentiful and extensive then any other city in the world.It has more than 16,000 taxis compared to Paris 10,000.
It has some of the greatest stadiums in the world e.g Santiago Bernabeu(Real Madrid).
And though some of the other cities which i have seen have some impressive propositions,Madrid doesnt have to envy any of them.
So go Madrid...........All the way.

Old November 14th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #150
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6366

London
R@ptor no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #151
quake
MILAN

nyc should win .........
quake no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:11 AM   #152
Mo Rush

kony i know a lot of what i say is confusing.... lol
but i think just read through it again maybe... or not??
Well i support London 2012
i think Paris will win though
i think madrid has the best bid

read carefully these three things have different meanings
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:16 AM   #153
Mo Rush

oh and i know bout gamesbids and the index, i think it needs to be more transparent though and should be updated much more often giving reasons for the major changesif any, i got forums bout cape town on gamesbids, general olympic discussion
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #154
Mo Rush

Rongen i fully agree with you and as i said marid has the best bid and is technically the best to host the games but barcelona 1992 will ensure that madrid does not win, actually madrid in south africa when a survey was conducted using students came tops...

i wud be happy with madrid winning but sadly we have to face it they wont, paris will...i am all for madrid but too soon, already europe has 1992 2004 and 2012 (most likely) 2 out of three cant go to spain, its pure geo politics.....

it cant go
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:49 AM   #155
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

if Madrid win, it will be cool , but at the same time a small country like spain cannot really be given the game twice in a short period when other European countries like , say Italy or Portugal, who also have great cities didn't even have the chance to make a shortlist (i know Portugal didn't apply for 2012 but it could have).

I don't know about NYC, do NYC really need the Olympics anyway ? Anyway i will still prefer NYC to have it over London.

London ? well, exciting bid apparently , but can we overpass paris which have been very persistent (3rd bid since 1992) in its willing to get the SOC, when London just came into the Game ?

My choice of heart is Paris anyway ! but I must admit the London and Madrid bids seems a lil' bit more exciting to me...
kony no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:57 AM   #156
Mo Rush

I know i agree fully although my heart is with London for a few reasons, i know Paris will win and i look forward to a superb games, the paris games need to add some excitement to their bid cause although ur venues are complete u still need to make it exciting and "boast" about venues and make it seem fun,

MY full opinion:

Paris deserves the games
I support London and hope they win
Madrid has the best bid
New York should not even think of hosting
Paris will win the right to host 2012
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:59 AM   #157
Mo Rush

i just hope that people can realise that Cape Town has a chance for 2016 and an even stronger and huge chance for 2020, some people still think CT does not have roads when its like any other city, lol i actually think CT could have done a better job than greece but dont axe me for saying that
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #158
VAN-TO
Van 2010 Supporter

Likes (Received): 1

Will Madrid be able to steer away from the deficits that Barcelona had to face after the 92 games?
VAN-TO no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #159
Mo Rush

who knows? but barcelona is a much better city today and the world thinks so highly of it, nobody mentions the deficits!!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #160
Mo Rush

The Olympic hosts are always decided by those who supported the 3rd and 4th place cities. With 1996 voting, Melbourne sent lots of votes to Atlants as UK-US ties are good, then Toronto sent 90% of their votes to Atlanta thats why they won, if paris and another euro city was added instead of toronto and melbourne then Athens would have won....

same with 2012 europe will win bid, so i.e. London Paris Madrid,

NYC will give their votes to London and Madrid will send some to both london and madrid, moscows votes will be sent to london mainly, but paris will initially receive majority votes and i suspect they could win it in the second round like Beijing !!!!
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016