daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #1621
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Does that not worry you that the entire Spanish media is mentally ecstatic about the bid, a little scrutiny actually helps a bid, blanket support means people don't work as hard.

Where did it say London won't finish on time? The reports said London had to plan carefully, but say Beijing is literally having to tear down huge sections of the city for the olympics, Sydney only had one rail line going to its Olympic park. Londoni s already building, or has the money guarenteed or has planning permission for virtually everything in its bid book.

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #1622
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

The BBC by LAW, has to be impartial and unbiased. If you go through its Olympic section you will see how many negative stories it has about London as well, and even in the good ones like today its still reports a negative.

How many times do I have to explain to foreigners the BBC isn't like other TV stations or newspapers, it doesn't 'support' anything nor does it have an 'agenda'. For example, today I heard that TF1 in France is supporting and promoting Live 8 by asking French citizens to travel to Edinburgh. The BBC doesn't do things like that, it is not allowed to have a political agenda, even for charity like Live 8, it cannot take a side on an issue. So I am sick of people thinking the BBC is like The Sun or Fox News, it is not.
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1623
Torete
Sensaciones Pop II

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by birminghamculture
Now, why cant you be bothered to take in what the press and media are saying?
Harias el favor de hacer como que te caes y me la comes?....

@birminghamculture: No comment. You have shown me that your contribution tu universal intelectuality is under zero. Excuse me, but I don´t use to discuss with people that have dogmas instead of opinions. It has no sense.

Torete no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1624
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

I don't quite get this statement of "problem to finish all facilities on time". The area where the Olympic stadium will be built has been cleared, the world's largest indoor arena is currently being built, as are the hockey and aquatic centres. Not forgetting the expansion of Twickenham to 82,000, the construction of 2 new stadiums, one of 60,000 capacity and another - Wembley of 90,000. Not even mentioning all the stadium expansions of all the other stadiums, where by 2012 there is the possibility of London having 6 stadiums over 50,000 capacity (Wembley [u/c], Twickenham [u/c], Olympic Stadium [approved], Emirates Stadium [u/c], New Stamford Bridge [planning] and White Hart Lane [approved])!!!
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #1625
Torete
Sensaciones Pop II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
The BBC by LAW, has to be impartial and unbiased.
I thought fairytales were for kids...

Don´t get upset, I don´t pretend to be pretencious. (Sorry if seemed that). What I mean is that BBC may be impartial in theory, but in fact EVERYBODY IS PARTIAL. You, me, BBC, and EVEN Birminghamculture....

The only difference is that Fox is biased, and they are proud of that, while BBC is biased too, but in the silence.... It´s my opinion, of course.

Anyway, my best wishes for all candidates, especially Moscow. They look like the ugly duck of the bid...

Torete no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1626
valladolid renace
BANNED

Quote:
The BBC by LAW, has to be impartial and unbiased. If you go through its Olympic section you will see how many negative stories it has about London as well, and even in the good ones like today its still reports a negative.

How many times do I have to explain to foreigners the BBC isn't like other TV stations or newspapers, it doesn't 'support' anything nor does it have an 'agenda'. For example, today I heard that TF1 in France is supporting and promoting Live 8 by asking French citizens to travel to Edinburgh. The BBC doesn't do things like that, it is not allowed to have a political agenda, even for charity like Live 8, it cannot take a side on an issue. So I am sick of people thinking the BBC is like The Sun or Fox News, it is not.
by Law, ja!

osea que nos tenemos que creer que la bbc es imparcial con los intereses britanicos porque lo dice su ley, amos anda!
valladolid renace no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #1627
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

If you have something to say, on an english forum in an english section I suggest instead of trying to be smart so only Spanish forumers can read what you say, that you have the balls to write in english for us all to read.

However, despite what you think about the BBC from Spain in which you only see BBC World and read BBC Online, you cannot possibly know anything about the BBC. The BBC does not have an agenda to serve, you need to learn a little about the BBC first.

Go look at the negative stories it has about London's bid as well as the positive. Just because you are used to media that is biased and has an agenda you shouldn't judge the BBC that way, why is the BBC considered one of the best and most reliable broadcasters if it is biased?

Also please tell me what agenda does the BBC have and show me the evidence of this.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #1628
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

Pricemazda is right about the BBC. It isn't allowed to be impartial and it isn't. Prove it is instead of making silly comments. Why is this thread still going anyway, there's another one open which is more serious and about the actual bidding.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #1629
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

IOC EVALUATION REPORT RANKINGS: _06 JUNE 2005

1. PARIS
2. LONDON
3. MADRID
4. NEW YORK
5. MOSCOW
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #1630
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

CORRECTED RANKINGS

1.PARIS
2. LONDON
3. NEW YORK
4. MADRID
5. MOSCOW

Monday, June 06, 2005

Paris, London and New York Get Glowing IOC Reports
Posted 8:27 am ET (GamesBids.com)

The International Olympic Committee evaluation reports released this morning for the 2012 Olympic bids seem to favor Paris, London and New York - but the committee claim the cities were not ranked.

New York's received high technical marks but the report notes that the Olympic Stadium and International Broadcast Centre had not been approved. New York's public support is the lowest of the five bids based on an IOC poll.

While New York doesn't provide the same comprehensive financial guarantees that the other bids boast, the IOC didn't mention it as a negative issue and instead pointed to the strong revenue generating potential of the bid.

Both London and Paris also received strong reviews without too many objections from the evaluation commission.

"The candidature file and the information provided to the Commission during its visit were of a very high quality" were comments made about both of the bids.

Public suport for Paris is marginally ahead of London's.

Madrid was also given an excellent review but with subtle hints that it did not measure up to the top three.

"Detailed plans were presented in [Madrid's] candidature file and high quality presentations were given during the Commission’s visit by the key organisations involved in the preparation of the bid."

Madrid's public support was highest of the five bids.

While Moscow had the second best public support, the report suggests the bid is far behind the others.

Moscow's presentation had "...a lack of detailed planning in the candidature file and background information made it difficult for the Commission to evaluate the project."

GamesBids.com will continue to report this developing story.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1631
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

let's stop talking about the media, just bbc, tve, tf1....just we 'all' know, that all of them, yes, 'all of them' are working to help their city, and i think that's normal, if you can't see it you are blind.
anyway, the ones to vote the city are anothers, so, forget the press, forget the 'no officials' lists, and let's wait for the 6th july
sometimes i don't like how we take this as a fight between the 5 cities, and it's not, i will be happy if madrid gets it, of course, but if not, i wish the winner the best luck.
i think the 5 cities, even paris, have a hard work, because, it's not so clear wich one is gonna win. paris has a great bid, but the public support is smaller than in madrid, and remember, the IOC doesn't want a city without the biggest support from the citizens (this is a big problem in new york, and mor or less in london)
so, as good spanish, i'm optimist....we are ready for you, pret pour vous!!
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1632
exciter
excitersky

Likes (Received): 2

mo rush, you are so interested on having a ranking list, what shoul i think about? even knowing that the IOC has never give a ranking list in the report. i told you once, and i tell you again, as 'future bid chairman' you should show more responsability. i hope again, we can still trust on the IOC members.
the report don't talk about any 'top three', so this is your opinion, in mo, new york have more problems than madrid.
please, next times be more partial, and don't read lines wich exist only in your desires
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #1633
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by valladolid renace
by Law, ja!

osea que nos tenemos que creer que la bbc es imparcial con los intereses britanicos porque lo dice su ley, amos anda!
I think you should be very carefully in what you say, as if you haven't done your research beforehand, you will end up looking like a bit of a dolt. Read here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/running/

BBC News is a non-commercially and non-politically orientated media organisation. Other parts of the BBC are commercially driven, eg BBC DVD's and Teletubbies merchandise. BBC News though is a news organisation that is the only trully respected news organisation that is independent from commercial backgrounds and is not driven by political motive (what an example, look to the Iraq War where the BBC questioned the government, simply because the people wanted answers). There is quite literally no other news organisation like it on the planet.

Also this is a forum where the primary language is English, you are I assume allowed to speak Spanish in the Spanish sub-forum. This though is part of the world forums and English is the only trully global language which is understood and written here.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #1634
gusarapo
BANNED

MADRID SIEMPRE

VAMOS MADRID, LO MERECEIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gusarapo no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1635
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

spanish media has said that ioc review leaves paris as the favourite, london as second and madrid third

they have said new york and moscow seems to be out of race
willo no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1636
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
OK Torete has there been any criticism of Madrid's bid in the Spanish media and in the newspaper?

spanish media has said that paris is the favourite, london is the second and madrid is the third

new york and paris seems to be out of race
willo no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:07 PM   #1637
Azcamadrid

Likes (Received): 1

Congratulations to PARIS, London and Madrid, all of them must host the olympic games.

http://avantia.miniville.fr/
http://avantia.miniville.fr/ind
http://avantia.miniville.fr/tra
http://avantia.miniville.fr/sec
http://avantia.miniville.fr/env
Azcamadrid no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1638
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5617

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo
spanish media has said that paris is the favourite, london is the second and madrid is the third

new york and paris seems to be out of race

Me think there is a typo in there.
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1639
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

I don't know, right now I am willing to take that as a likely prediction.
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1640
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
I think you should be very carefully in what you say, as if you haven't done your research beforehand, you will end up looking like a bit of a dolt. Read here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/running/

BBC News is a non-commercially and non-politically orientated media organisation. Other parts of the BBC are commercially driven, eg BBC DVD's and Teletubbies merchandise. BBC News though is a news organisation that is the only trully respected news organisation that is independent from commercial backgrounds and is not driven by political motive (what an example, look to the Iraq War where the BBC questioned the government, simply because the people wanted answers). There is quite literally no other news organisation like it on the planet.
I maybe generalising but I also get the sense that the British in general are more self critical(although not nesserarly any less nationalistic) than many other nations, just look at how little sleeze it takes to lead to a govermental resignation. I think that shows up in the aproval rating for our bid being lower than both Paris and Madrid not nesserarly because its any worse but because any faults will be brought to the public attension more.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; June 7th, 2005 at 07:56 PM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016