daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #1801
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

^ True Madrid's never hosted it, but of those countries, Spain has hosted the Summer Games the most recent, 1992 Barcelona.

Moscow had the 1980 Games, but I don't count it because those retarded western countries ruined it with thier boycotts. London hasn't hosted since it was recovering from WWII in 1948, and Paris hosted it in 1924... it was more of a "sideshow circus" back then. New York is the only one who hasn't hosted a Summer Olympics, though technically you could argue they've hosted the Winter Games twice at Lake Placid.

If you're going by whose turn it is, New York wins.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1802
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry... don't mean to sound hostile, but it angers me when countries boycott the Olympics. The games are meant to symbolize global unity despite political differences... and then the U.S. and friends throws mud in the world's face over a political problem, Afghanistan.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1803
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
New York is the only one who hasn't hosted a Summer Olympics, though technically you could argue they've hosted the Winter Games twice at Lake Placid.
I have no idea how you could argue that, considering that Lake Placid is 300 miles away. Its a 6 hour drive from New York to Lake Placid. Its about 3 times closer to Montreal! New York is closer to Washington than it is to Lake Placid.
asohn no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:46 PM   #1804
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ They're both in the same state, that's close enough for government work!
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #1805
asohn

Quote:
^ They're both in the same state, that's close enough for government work!
I don't understand?
asohn no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #1806
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

^ Oops... sorry.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1807
asohn

Quote:
^ Oops... sorry.
What does Lake Placid and New York being in the same state have to do with anything?
asohn no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #1808
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
I think that NYC should have the 2012 Olympics especially since Moscow, London, and Paris already had them in the past and NYC didn't.
The same can be said for Madrid...
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #1809
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

True, but both shouldn't win because of Barcelona and Atlanta. Anyway i am going to be really annoying and copy the Spanish forumers...

Viva Londres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Madman no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #1810
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
^ True Madrid's never hosted it, but of those countries, Spain has hosted the Summer Games the most recent, 1992 Barcelona.
Umm are you forgetting Atlanta 96? If your argument is that the first time biding cities whose country held the olympics longest ago should win then surely it must go to Madrid?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1811
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
Umm are you forgetting Atlanta 96? If your argument is that the first time biding cities whose country held the olympics longest ago should win then surely it must go to Madrid?
Nope. Here's why:

USA - Salt Lake City 2002
SPAIN - Barcelona 1992
FRANCE - Albertville 199_ (Too lazy to remember if that was 92 or 94)
RUSSIA - Moscow 1980
UK - London 1948

With this reasoning, London should get the games.
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #1812
legolas
I'm back!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush

Madrid- although the IOC wont look at the fact that spain would receive two out of the last three european hosted olympic games they would be blind to ignore it, i am interested to see what support Juan Antonio can muster together as he has a few good "Relationships" with IOC members but i doubt this would influence over 50 IOC member that a games should return to Spain

London- not afraid to say this city has been my favourite from the start, an excellent olympic plan that one can really visualise and see happening, the strongest legacy in my opinion and its strength lies in its vision for both a great olympic and paralympic games, london came to the rescue twice for the IOC, along with a spectacular plan, this would indeed be one of the best and most magical games ever, ..
I can see your impartiality. Madrid has the best bid and Paris all the posibilities to win it. Perhaps if London win we have to think somebody is paying something to...
Well, only what can I say it's "vamos madrid! estamos preparados!!!" & congrats to the winner.

Demasiada prepotencia veo yo por aqui... y es lo que más me jode, tener que discutir simplemente por dicha prepotencia!!!
legolas no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #1813
Flagg1982
BANNED

19 days 'til the verdict.
Flagg1982 no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #1814
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

"I can see your impartiality. Madrid has the best bid and Paris all the posibilities to win it. Perhaps if London win we have to think somebody is paying something to..."

Fu cking roll on.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #1815
King-Tomislav
objective observer

Likes (Received): 1

London
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #1816
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Nope. Here's why:

USA - Salt Lake City 2002
SPAIN - Barcelona 1992
FRANCE - Albertville 199_ (Too lazy to remember if that was 92 or 94)
RUSSIA - Moscow 1980
UK - London 1948

With this reasoning, London should get the games.
I was responding to your point that "True Madrid's never hosted it, but of those countries, Spain has hosted the Summer Games the most recent, 1992 Barcelona" which is incorrect given that Atlanta hosted them in 96. I wasnt including the Winter games considering you said "summer games" youself but if you do that merely makes my correction even stronger as it moves the last US hosted games forward 6 years.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #1817
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
True, but both shouldn't win because of Barcelona and Atlanta. Anyway i am going to be really annoying and copy the Spanish forumers...

Viva Londres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barcelona is only a few hours drive east from Madrid, so that isn't very far. Meanwhile, NYC is nowhere near Atlanta. As a matter of fact, I cannot drive down to Atlanta and do something then return to NYC in the same day like I would with Philly, which is only within two hours. The same thing would go with SLC, b/c that's all the way on the other side of the country.
Old June 19th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #1818
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

some of ya should really get over yourselves, it does matter that atlanta hosted 1996 as well as the fact thatthat barcelona hosted 1992, the difference lies in the fact that spain would have hosted the last two of three olympic games hosted by a european city, the games havent been in America since 1996 where as athens hosted 2004, one certainly cannot compare north america that only has two countries and only one bidding, where as the other one is hosting the 2010 games, europe on the other hand has many viable options and to choose the same country twice out of three times out of so many countries would be unfair, i dont care that madrid never hosted the games or that new york never hosted hosted the games,and the distance to the closest city that hosted has hosted the games or even if paris and london hosted the games sooo long ago!!!, this is 2005 the race for 2012,

1. can u convince over 50 IOC members that the games should return to spain?? no matter how good the bid is?
2. can u convince over 50 ioc members that amongst all the uncertainty and last minutre plans of new york that new york should be their choice??

so IMO the whole new york vs madrid based on each city never hosted the games, NEW YORK wins the case in that area,thereis no other north american country biding and secondly south american countries did not make it to the last five.

THAT JUST My opinion
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #1819
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

I still believe in and want NYC to win the games, but why did they veto the stadium funding???? A patchwork Mets stadium/ Olympic Stadium may not sway the IOC.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1820
TROSKI
MaDriLEñO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
one certainly cannot compare north america that only has two countries and only one bidding
By now there´re three countries in north America: Canada, Usa and Mexico.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016