daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #1961
Valia
A L.G.D.G.A.D.U.

Likes (Received): 6

i rate for Madrid

Valia no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #1962
Medo

Likes (Received): 522

Go Madrid London!
Medo no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #1963
Maroon Grown
QUEENSLANDER!!!

Likes (Received): 124

i dont think madrid will get it coz Spain held the Olympics not long ago.

I think London will get it. Moscow is no chance!

Paris a maybe
Maroon Grown no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #1964
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

In reply to Coth on the Moscow bid:

>I suppose you didn't seen my message. USA, UK, France and Spain also have >visas system. Not only Russia. They have some countries in their list that >should not taking visas, Russia as well. Such lists are different.

Coth, I don't think you get my point. But the way you make it sound is because some western nations make it tough for Russians to visit, Russia does it back. Not a great attitude don't you think? The reason could well be because they are afraid of illegal immigration from Russia and overstayers. That is why Australia makes it tough for citizens from the former USSR. Somehow doubt that Russia would have the same problem from western nations.

If you are going to stage Olympics the visitors who will be going will be from mainly the wealthy nations and they will not be attempting to remain in Russia so they can work for Rubles adn take Russian jobs. Also I cannot believe that they would be able to learn the language and get their heads around Cyrillic to even get near being able to hold down a job in Russia in the first place. So that blows that argument out of the water.

>As for economic situation. Olympic games is not games for first world only. It >is international event. Every country have a right to host. If not. Then >second and third world should ignore such games.

Does that country have the moral right if it is recieving aid from other nations? I doubt that economic development loans given to Russia are to help her build stadia for an Olympics. That money should be spent on hospitals, improving roads, education, sorting out its beaurecratic problems and building systems to protect individuals properties and rights.

>Additionaly. USA have 5,5% of people that lives in extreme poverty. Russia - >7,5%. UK - 9%. France and Spain - don't know. So why for them resolve >this problem before hosting Olympic games?

Every nation has poverty, even Luxembourg and Switzerland no doubt.

>Man, capitalism - is capitalism. Russia is growing country. Moscow spending >on social programs more than other candidate cities in sum. $4,5bln every >year. Russia spending on social programs as maximum as possible. More will >provoke high inflation. Currently - relative inflation in Russia is very low. >Average income growing 25% every year. Inflation - just 8-9%. This inflation >provoking by high income growth.

Glad to hear it, is this information from Russian government sources? You have to take what they say with a grain of salt. They are not the most honest organization. And yes, I know western governments also lie.

>But i don't see - how it is relates to Olympic games. Russia have enough >money to host it. If you mean it.

If that is true, then why are so many Russian's attempting to migrate to the west?

Russia should be with its natural wealth something like a Canada for living standards. Why isn't it? Well you tell me. I think Churchill put it best, "A conundrum wrapped inside a paradox."
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #1965
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

Wow London actually did a good job and kept most of their venues in the DT area. If not NYC for 2012, then London.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #1966
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

I think it will be Madrid and London on the final ballot, with London winning out in the end.
EdZed no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #1967
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

I honestly think that Paris will get the games but my vote goes to MADRID!

Old June 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #1968
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

I would vote for London, but I also think that London has a really good chance.
1. London has the most support(2 million official supporters)
2. London has the best bid so far.
3. There hasn't been a British host for the games since 1948(correct me if I'm wrong here).

So I think that the two real contenders are Paris and London. Which ever one gets the bid will make me happy, but out of personal bias I would prefer London.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain
Butcher no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #1969
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

I would love to see MADRID win, a city thats never hosted the games before

...but I think Paris will win - and by a fair margin too.
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #1970
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

GO MADRID!!!
Urban Dave no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #1971
MBV

eddyk:me apatece decirte aqui, y en español, que es un idioma bonito, culto y amable, que hijo mio, eres lo que podríamos llamar, asi, de manera sencilla, un poco tonto.

Go Madrid!
MBV no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1972
legolas
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Im English/French....Im in both countries for long periods at a time each year...I might be even living in France in 6 years, I dont know.

I would still go to the Olympics in Madrid.

But I wouldnt enjoy it as much
Well, perhaps you would. Try to meet us nd we'll sow you how is really Madrid. You'll be surprised, sure.
Second, but most important, ETA is not a separatist group, it's a terrorist group. The same coward ways to attack and the same stupid thinking as, for example, al-qaeda. Don't forget it!
Y también decir que nuestro español es precioso. Que es el segundo idioma más hablado, tras el chino, y que en EEUU cada dia se habla más el idioma de Cervantes. Ala, a aprender he dicho...
legolas no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #1973
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1496

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV
eddyk:me apatece decirte aqui, y en español, que es un idioma bonito, culto y amable, que hijo mio, eres lo que podríamos llamar, asi, de manera sencilla, un poco tonto.

Go Madrid!

See what I mean.

Dont make up crap for all your spanish buds to read and make me the bad guy, Tellling me that spanish is a pretty language and they are cultured.

If that hasnt been done with the intention to annoy me...well I just dont know what to believe in anymore.

P.S
I dont even know who the ETA are.

P.P.S
I have already said why I wouldnt enjoy it as much

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #1974
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

My personal arguments in favour of London:

- quickest, easiest and cheapest for me to get to (a dozen flights a day to City airport),
- possibility to combine with a few gigs at one of the many rock venues (what's the gig culture like in Paris and Madrid?),
- smoke some pot in Camden, (what's the policy in Madrid? I know you'd better not even try in Paris)
- British girls are more lively

I'm afraid the Games would increase city council taxes, so economically I doubt it's a good thing for London to host them (see signature). On the other hand, if the Games go to either Madrid or Paris there is a good chance the richer EU countries pick up the tab anyway, so we might as well get the actual Games for our money. Tough call.
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #1975
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

That ETA seperatist group is going to really make things hard for Madrid's bid.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #1976
ramiretto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
That ETA seperatist group is going to really make things hard for Madrid's bid.
As it has already been said in this thread, ETA is a terrorist group.... Just as Al Qaeda.... Or should we star considering and reffering to Al Qaeda members just as muslims activists??
ramiretto no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #1977
Ralph007es
Mystery Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
How isnt it the same thing?

I dont think Madrid is a contender...But I dont think London is favorites, but we have a far better chance of winning it than Madrid does.
Madrid es una ciudad con unas infraestructuras que, en la mayoria de los casos, le da una patada en el culillo a tu adorado londres... si lees esto, ten cuidao y no te atragantes con ello
Ralph007es no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1978
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 847

Even if Paris is the favoured, and could probably put on a better show.. somehow I think London would have double the legacy
ferge no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #1979
Javi
A Freak From Hell

ETA has killed more than 800 people in Spain since 1968. There are any people who belivie that ETA isn´t a terrorist group?

PD: Sorry for my english
Old June 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1980
Codex
JipiDrogadizoMemb(rill)er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzilla
My personal arguments in favour of London:

- quickest, easiest and cheapest for me to get to (a dozen flights a day to City airport),
- possibility to combine with a few gigs at one of the many rock venues (what's the gig culture like in Paris and Madrid?),
- smoke some pot in Camden, (what's the policy in Madrid? I know you'd better not even try in Paris)
- British girls are more lively

I'm afraid the Games would increase city council taxes, so economically I doubt it's a good thing for London to host them (see signature). On the other hand, if the Games go to either Madrid or Paris there is a good chance the richer EU countries pick up the tab anyway, so we might as well get the actual Games for our money. Tough call.
Two the first things i can´t saw anything, but

In Madrid you can have every substance you want, of course not as in Holland, but it´s said that most of funny thing that are imported to Europe (not made) passes through Spain. Policy is quite light.

Brits might be more lively but i personally think that they´re much more beautiful in Spain in general, and partying is a type of religion here in Madrid. Gran Via it´s almost as full at night as it is at day in every day of week during the hole year.

Of course, my vote and me are fully with my city. GO MADRID
"Santiago Segura? Si me preguntaras por San Josemaría..." Plataforma SkyscraperCity AntiEsperanza Aguirre la Grande. Socio y numerario, damnificado por la OPCH. Nunca acabarás con Gallardón, ojotraca!

NO ESTÁ LLOVIENDO
MADRID ESTÁ LLORANDO

Madrid: la Caña de España
-------------------------
Madrid: da Cane of Spain
Codex no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016