daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #21
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

One under construction is Miami Central Station. Once completed it will not only house Amtrak, Tri-Rail, and Metrorail but it will also be connected to Miami International Airport via people mover and house a rental car facility. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2012.

Here are some renderings/construction photos:

And another rail station connection between Metrorail and Tri-Rail (although more pathetic in comparison). This station is known as Metrorail/Tri-Rail and is also where Amtrak's Miami Station is located for now.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Looking at the map of Secaucus Junction I see that to get from tracks 2/3/A/B to tracks E/F/G/H you need to go up to the concourse again and then down again. There is no direct connection between the platforms even though the station layout would permit one to be installed. For a transfer station that is not optimal.
For a better executed example see Berlin Südkreuz: There you never have to take more than one stair or escalator when changing trains.

The Majority of ppl like me who use Secaucus JCT switch form the lower Level to the Upper Levels ,so its a easy switch. They plan on expanding the station and adding Retail and Office space above the lower level lines and above the upper level lines. So it will become a transfer station , Mall , and Office Complex like in the original design. There are 2 mini Concourses allowing you to transfer between the lower level lines.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #23
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Majority of ppl like me who use Secaucus JCT switch form the lower Level to the Upper Levels ,so its a easy switch. They plan on expanding the station and adding Retail and Office space above the lower level lines and above the upper level lines. So it will become a transfer station , Mall , and Office Complex like in the original design. There are 2 mini Concourses allowing you to transfer between the lower level lines.
I assume you do the switch twice, so once from lower to upper, and once in the reverse. How much time does it take?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #24
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Millenium Station in Chicago which serves the Metra Electric Line and the South Shore Line. This station opened in 2007 and lies underneath Millenium Park and is connected to Chicago's pedway network.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #25
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I assume you do the switch twice, so once from lower to upper, and once in the reverse. How much time does it take?
Form the lower Diesel level to the Upper Electric levels it takes 5 mins , unless i stop to use the Bathroom or get a snack.
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #26
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Downtown Minneapolis Ballpark in Minneapolis is the connecting point between the Hiawatha LRT (and the proposed Central LRT) and Northstar Commuter Rail.

[IMG]http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:Y1iUOef-75P-DM:http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9977/5thstreet01.jpg&t=1[/IMG]
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #27
Nexis
Dark Wolf

My 2 Recent Secaucus JCT vids

Trains @

0:14 > Amtrak's Northeast to Boston South Station
Making Stops at , New York Penn Station , Stamford , Bridgeport , New Haven , New London , Kingston , Providence , Route 128 / Westwood , Back Bay and South Station

0:40 > Amtrak's Acela Express to Boston South Station
Making Stops at , New York Penn Station , Stamford , New Haven , Providence , Route 128 / Westwood , Back Bay and South Station

0:58 > NJT Montclair line to MSU
Making Stops at , Newark Board Street , Watsessing Avenue , Bloomfield , Glen Ridge , Bay Street , Walnut Street , Watchung Avenue , Upper Montclair , Mountain Avenue , Montclair Heights , Montclair State University

1:23 > NJT Northeast Corridor train to NYPenn
Making stops at , NYPenn

1:55 > NJT ??

2:30 > Amtrak's Northeast Regional to DC
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Metropark , Trenton , North Philly , Philly 30th Street , Wilmington , Baltimore , BWI Airport , New Carrelton and DC

3:04 > Amtrak's Acela Express to DC
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Metropark , Philly , Wilmington , Baltimore , BWI Airport , & DC

3:24 > NJT NEC train Arriving bound for NY Penn

4:01 > Amtrak's Keystone to Harrisburg
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Trenton , Philly , Paoli , Exton , Downingtown , Coatesville , Parkesburg , Lancaster , Middletown , Harrisburg

4:30 > Amtrak's Northeast Regional to DC
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Metropark , Trenton , Philly 30th Street , Wilmington , Baltimore , BWI Airport ,and DC

4:57 > NJT NEC train bypassing Secaucus JCT

5:20 > NJT NEC Train bypassing Secaucus JCT

5:50 > NJT NEC train Bypassing Secaucus JCT

6:15 > NJT NEC Train bypassing Secaucus JCT for NY Penn

6:40 > Amtrak's Northeast Regional to Boston
Making Stops at , New York Penn Station , Stamford , Bridgeport , New Haven , New London , Kingston , Providence , Route 128 / Westwood , Back Bay and South Station

7:10 > NJT departing to NY Penn Station

7:38 > NJT NEC to Jersey Avenue
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Elizabeth , Linden , Rahway , Metropark , Metuchun , Edison , New Brunswick , Jersey Avenue

7:56 : NJT NEC Bypassing Secaucus JCT for NY Penn

*Portal Switch Malfunctioned , forcing all outbound trains onto the inbound track

8:20 > NJT NJCL to Long Branch
Making Stops at , Newark Penn Station , EWR , Elizabeth , Linden , Rahway , Perth Amboy , South Amboy , Aberdeen-Matawan , Hazlet , Middletown , Red Bank , Little Silver , Long Branch

8:55 > NJT NJCL to Long Branch
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Elizabeth , Rahway , Perth Amboy , South Amboy , Aberdeen-Matawan . Long Branch

9:31 > NJT M&E to Dover
Making Stops at , Newark Board Street Station , East Orange , Orange , South Orange , Maplewood , Summit , Madison , Morristown , Dover

10:21 > NJT NEC to Jersey Avenue
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , EWR , Elizabeth , Linden , Rahway , Metropark , New Brunswick , Jersey Avenue

11:11 > NJT ???

11:58 > Amtrak's Acela Express
Making Stops at , Newark Penn , Metropark , Philly , Wilmington , Baltimore , BWI Airport , & DC

12:30 > NJT NEC departing to NY Penn Station

13:12 > NJT NEC departing to NY Penn Station

Last edited by Nexis; October 18th, 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #28
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Re. Miami Central Station. Nice looking facility. But couldn't help but notice the enormous sq. footage devoted to auto parking vis a vis rail related infrastructure. A reality in No. America, I know, but it would refreshing to have that multi-story car park replaced by a shopping center, or a mixed use development (including housing) that would generate ridership that wouldn't need the last leg of their journey to be completed by the car.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #29
honwai1983

Likes (Received): 1

Shanghai HongQiao Terminal

Shanghai Hongqiao Terminal, is the largest transport terminal in the world. HSR intercity rail services to Nanjing opened in 1 July 2010.

It consists of Airport terminal, 19 High Speed Rail Plaforms, 11 rail plaforms, 10 Maglev lines plaforms, High speed buses, 5 Metro lines, Carparks...

Railway Station size is about 240,000 sq. M

As High speed railway in China is still delevoping, it will become the strongest transport hub in the world.
Also, as the Hongqiao Airport closer to Shanghai City center(about 30min) than another Shanghai internationalAirport (Pu tong international airport, 1 hour), it gives more convenient way to international passengers.

In my view, as shanghai has such super transport hub, it will reduces the local airport needs to YangTze River Delta, as HSR serves very large area (HSR network to Nanjing and hangzhou so far).

image hosted on flickr

Overall View

Hong Qiao Railway Station (Left side), Hongqiao Terminal 2 (Middle) and Hongqiaoa terminal 1 when in construction stage.

Railway Station Overview

Interchange to metro

Hongqiao metro Line 2. Plaform Screen Doors is installed.

Railway Station sitting area

Ticketing Area~~ Manual and Automatic ticketing services are availible

[IMG]"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5096644918_01cf325cda.jpg"[/IMG]
HSR Ticket from Hongqiao, Shanghai to Nanjing

Last edited by honwai1983; October 19th, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
honwai1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #30
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11225

KL Sentral Station
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
KL Sentral Station serves as a transfer point for major rail systems including KLIA Ekspres, KLIA Transit, KTM Intercity, KTM Komuter, RapidKL LRT

Quote:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by nazrey; December 5th, 2015 at 03:13 AM.
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #31
honwai1983

Likes (Received): 1

Shanghai Hongqiao Terminal

[QUOTE=honwai1983;65505355]Shanghai Hongqiao Terminal, is the largest transport terminal in the world. HSR intercity rail services to Nanjing opened in 1 July 2010.

It consists of Airport terminal, 19 High Speed Rail Plaforms, 11 rail plaforms, 10 Maglev lines plaforms, High speed buses, 5 Metro lines, Carparks...

Railway Station size is about 240,000 sq. M

As High speed railway in China is still delevoping, it will become the strongest transport hub in the world.
Also, as the Hongqiao Airport closer to Shanghai City center(about 30min) than another Shanghai internationalAirport (Pu tong international airport, 1 hour), it gives more convenient way to international passengers.

In my view, as shanghai has such super transport hub, it will reduces the local airport needs to YangTze River Delta, as HSR serves very large area (HSR network to Nanjing and hangzhou so far).

image hosted on flickr

Overall View

Hong Qiao Railway Station (Left side), Hongqiao Terminal 2 (Middle) and Hongqiaoa terminal 1 when in construction stage.

image hosted on flickr

Railway Station Overview

image hosted on flickr

Interchange to metro

image hosted on flickr

Hongqiao metro Line 2. Plaform Screen Doors is installed.

image hosted on flickr

Railway Station sitting area

image hosted on flickr

Ticketing Area~~ Manual and Automatic ticketing services are availible

[IMG]hhttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5096047875_e8290c0587.jpg[/IMG]

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

HSR Ticket from Hongqiao, Shanghai to Nanjing

Last edited by honwai1983; October 19th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
honwai1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #32
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Re. Miami Central Station. Nice looking facility. But couldn't help but notice the enormous sq. footage devoted to auto parking vis a vis rail related infrastructure. A reality in No. America, I know, but it would refreshing to have that multi-story car park replaced by a shopping center, or a mixed use development (including housing) that would generate ridership that wouldn't need the last leg of their journey to be completed by the car.
The reason for the parking garage is because it is also supposed to house the Rental Car Center for Miami International Airport. The whole facility will be connected to the airport via the MIA Mover people mover.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #33
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

I fail to understand the goal of this thread... of course all train stations have connections with other modes of transport, otherwise they would serve few people, so even the smallest train stations probably have some bus going there to take people around smaller towns or neighbourhoods far apart from the city centre/train station
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #34
Nexis
Dark Wolf

More of my Secaucus JCT madness

Up next , a Detailed Tour of Newark Penn & Hoboken Terminal...
Old October 20th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #35
Nexis
Dark Wolf

most of the videos and photos have been removed..

Last edited by Nexis; December 6th, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #36
nazrey

Berlin Hauptbahnhof - Main Station - architects: Von Gerkan Marg & Partner
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerald-davison/5075039571/

Model
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhino8888/5045155700/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vike/5071168038/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4961135522/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reinbijlsma/4845598677/
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/squawkbox/4916263560/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klaasfo...ie/4875732653/

Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #37
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

So this is now the 'post your favorite station' thread?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #38
nazrey

It's also connections between different modes of transport station.
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #39
liamkm
liam

Likes (Received): 0

bus feeder services

Hello,

I hope this is an appropriate thread for this question.

I'm working on the development of a European High Speed Rail network and as part of this work I'm investigating the potential benefits of "feeder services" to HSR stations. This will enable greater accessibilty to HSR and spread the scheme benefits around the country, and increase demand for the scheme. I have already identified and am modelling the benefits of classic/traditional rail feeders i.e. timing exisitng local services to coincide with new HSR services at HSR stations. However, in areas where this is not possible (no railways) we would like to investigate bus/coach based feeder services.

Is anybody aware of any HSR stations internationally where a bus feeder service has been set up? I'm based in the UK and here we have Kent Fastrack, which serves Ebbsfleet HSR station. I would like to find more such examples internationally so I can contact the devlopers to understand their business cases and design principles. I expect this is more likely in locations where the classic rail system is underdeveloped.

So if anyone can think of a new bus system, established to support HSR please let me know, I would be very grateful.

Kindest regards,

Liam
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #40
thun

I could imagine that you'd fine something like that on the newer Spanish HSLs, where some stations are in the middle of nowhere and a decent coach network exists. As it is Spain, I wouldn'd expect coordinated schedules or so...