daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #21
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadoh25 View Post
Eastown Theater, Harper Avenue.

The Eastown opened in a largely residential area on Harper Avenue near Van Dyke at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 1, 1931, with the movie "Sporting Blood," starring Clark Gable. Advertisements in newspapers at the time declared the theater’s opening as the “dawn of a new entertainment era” and invited Detroiters to “thrill to the glory of Detroit’s newest, finest Palace of Happiness.’” The ads also proclaimed the theater’s opening as “the most glorious event in the history of east Detroit.” Business owners and merchants in the neighborhood pitched in by decorating the surrounding streets for the grand opening.

With 2,500 seats, it was comparable in size and elegance to most of the downtown theaters. The Eastown was built solely for “talking pictures,” and when it opened, admission was 15 cents for afternoons, a quarter for evenings and 35 cents for Saturday and Sunday evenings. Children got in any time for a dime. Patrons would get dressed up for a night at the movies, and uniformed ushers would guide them to their seats.

The complex was built for the Wisper & Wetsman movie chain, one of the largest independent operators of movie theaters in metro Detroit at the time. It was designed by architect V.J. Waier, who used a blend of classical styles for an interior that was mostly Baroque. It is his only known surviving work in the city. The building was constructed between 1926 and 1930 and featured a 6-foot-high lit dome in the auditorium with a gold-gilded ceiling. The lobby featured imported marble with a wide, elegant marble stairway flowing into the mezzanine. Like those theaters downtown, the Eastown featured office space and stores, but it also had 35 apartments. In addition, it had the grand Eastown Ballroom, with large arched windows, a band shell and an oak dance floor. Up to 300 people could dine there on fine linen and elegant china or attend weddings and banquets.

http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/places/east

This theatre shares the same sorry fate as so many others but at least Detroit still has the "Fox" one of the largest ever built.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #22
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Some photos from inside Michigan Central Station. Forgive the quailty of some of the photos, the lighting wasn't very good and we couldn't stay long due to security.

restaurant

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see more of the station at a later date. Next stop, Ghetto Fabulous Delray!

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 9th, 2010 at 03:34 AM.
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:39 AM   #23
Chadoh25

Welcome to Downtown Delray

Delray is a neighborhood and former incorporated village, located on the south side of Detroit, Michigan. It is isolated from other areas of Detroit by industrial warehouses and Interstate 75. As a neighborhood, Delray has no legally defined boundaries, but its area usually extends south to the River Rouge, east to the Detroit River, west to Fort Street and Interstate 75, and north to Dragoon Street at Fort Wayne or sometimes further north to Clark Street.

In 1930, Delray had approximately 23,000 residents. While there are no precise population statistics for the neighborhood today, estimates range from approximately 1,900–6,000 residents. This substantial loss is due to the increase in polluting industries that moved to Detroit. Today, Delray is considered one of the most polluted areas in Detroit. Much of Delray today consists of riverfront industries, while a number of residential properties are not maintained. Due to this high level of disrepair, in 2007, the Detroit Metro Times described Delray as "the closest thing to a ghost town within a city."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delray,_Detroit

West Jefferson Avenue

West Jefferson Avenue and Cary Street

West Jefferson Avenue and SW End Street

Holy Cross Hungarian Church, South Street.

Next Stop, St Ann's Church
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #24
skylark
skylark

Likes (Received): 409

what a ton of great photos.
it's disheartening to see those classic-designed buildings being abandoned.
anyaways, great jog you did Chad and thank you for that.
skylark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #25
HipHopCanada
MicrophoneFiend

Likes (Received): 10

It's a shame to see all those beautiful building's rot, hopefully something's done soon to save Detroit's tremendous stock of gorgeous architecture! You captured the city well, though.
HipHopCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #26
Arrrgh
Gouda's Glorie

Likes (Received): 1119

Wow, stunning architecture. Unfortunately, there seem to be some 'decay issues'...
Arrrgh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #27
Chadoh25

I really wish I could sit here and tell you guys that Detroit was going to come back. I wish I could say that all the buildings I photographed were going to be save and filled with people. But unfortunately, that is simply not reality. Or atleast as I saw it. Delray, like may neighborhoods will not not make it into the next century, or atleast not as they are now or were some 50 years ago. Some areas will regenerate. I saw alot of good things going things going on in the New Center, along Woodward, and in places like Downtown, Mexicantown, and Brush Park. But I fear that many neighborhoods are lost. The money isn't there and as I saw on the Eatside, there really isn't much left to save in some areas. It's sad.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #28
Chadoh25

St. Anne's Church.

Random Michigan Avenue

Michigan Avenue and 23rd Street

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 9th, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #29
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I hope cameronpaul doesn't mind.
I found a very recent Docu on Detroit:

Beyond Motocity
enjoy!
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/blueprintame...ity/video/939/
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #30
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Very nice photo's by the way love the historical Detroit!
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #31
kingsway

Likes (Received): 12

it's really disheartening to see all these nice buildings deteriorate.
kingsway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #32
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33931

it's really sad to see all these beautiful buildings got burned down or being abadoned.
will there ever be hope to save these areas from deterioration? I hope, I hope.
capricorn2000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #33
Chadoh25

Cass Tech, Cass Avenue. October 4th, 2010.

Cass Technical High School, formerly known as Cass Union School, was founded in 1861. Cass Union School was established to provide training in woodworking and metal trades for young men. The school was built on land given to the City of Detroit by former Secretary of State and Michigan Governor Lewis Cass. The donated land formed a triangle at Second Avenue, Grand River Avenue, and High Street West. That land had a pickle factory on it, but they transformed it into a school building.

In 1918, Cass Technical High School lent its space to Ford Motor Company outside of regular school hours to allow their employees access to the industrial training facilities within the building. During the 1920s Cass held classes in chemistry, bacteriology, biology, and dietetics for local nurses in addition to printing classes.

In 1970, concern over the condition of the school building surfaced. It was feared that the building would be allowed to deteriorate beyond repair and that the school and its curriculum would be eliminated. Modernization of the school began in 1981 and was completed in 1985. The addition was designed by Albert Kahn Associates. The new wing included a gymnasium, various music rooms, a recital hall, and a practice room. The new wing provided an enclosed lunchroom on the second floor that held approximately 700 students. Classes in the business wing were also renovated.

On Monday July 30, 2007 the old school building was set on fire. The police arrested two of the three men in connection to the fire. At least six homeless men were believed to have been living in the vacant building. The fire is said to have started in the first floor classroom and risen up to the third floor before firefighters were able to put it out. In addition to two police officers, two firefighters were also injured while fighting the three-alarm fire.

The New Cass Technical High School

Cass Tech from Cass Park.During the 2005-2006 school year, Cass Tech faculty, students and staff were moved to the new building, which was constructed on and around the school's old football field. The move into the new building sparked controversy because of uncertainty about the future of the old building, which is considered to be a historic landmark.

The new Cass Technical High School building was designed by TMP Associates Inc. The new building is physically partitioned to emphasize its varied activities. Academic, public, athletic and performance spaces are all distinct pieces of the building. The building required organization vertically on six levels in order to accommodate its small urban site. The new school includes a 2,000-seat theater with audio and video projection, a 3,000-seat gymnasium/arena, dance and music rehearsal spaces.

One design challenge was to accommodate the unique lab environment, catering to career pathways and retaining flexibility for future curriculum requirements. The solution was a collection of "collaboration centers," situated strategically, to promote interaction between the pathways and to encourage team teaching.

In the beginning of the 2008-2009 school year, Cass Tech opened a credit union in the north lobby of the new building. Students, parents, and staff are all eligible to use it.

The construction of a football field behind the building was a substantial portion of the new development, however, until the beginning of the 2007-2008 school year, it could not be used because of construction errors.

The building won the top design award given out by Learning by Design, which honors and showcases school design and construction projects. It also received the American Institute of Architects - Michigan Chapter Honor Award in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cass_Technical_High_School

Part of Downtown

Cass Park and the Masonic theater.

The building on the far right is the American Hotel.

Cass Avenue looking towards the New Center.

Temple and Clifford Street

Walking back down Cass to the car.

Last edited by Chadoh25; October 13th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #34
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Detroit has some really nice art deco buildings. if i was rich I'd invest in it just to see these buildings stay standing...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #35
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12278

A sad, but interesting tour. Thanks for posting these! Heartening to see some of the buildings still in use, but heartbreaking to see some of the beauties so forlorn.
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #36
Chadoh25

Random Woodward Avenue stuff.

St. Matthew's & St. Joseph's Episcopal Church. 8850 Woodward Avenue.

Northern High School.

The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament. 9844 Woodward Avenue.

Next stop, Highland Park and the Model T Factory.
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #37
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

I am just interested is something positive is actually going in Detroit? Since I heard many people that say that the worst is over. I'd like to see that, but so far I have no proof

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #38
Tetramesh
Undead

Likes (Received): 188

Very interesting photos, this is definitely a place I'd love to visit. Hopefully the buildings in poor condition can be renovated, it would be a great shame if many of them were demolished.

Last edited by Tetramesh; October 18th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Tetramesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #39
Chadoh25

Highland Park, Michigan

Old Civic Center off of Woodward Avenue.

Looking towards Woodward Avenue

Henry Ford's Model T Factory on Woodward Avenue

Next stop, New Center in Detroit
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #40
garcia.calavera

Likes (Received): 779

amazing pics , the hole city has a ghost town feeling. Did everybody move to the suburbs nobody lives in the city anymore?
garcia.calavera no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
detroit, michigan