daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #181
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...707666,00.html

Transrapid Train Could Get Green Light in Munich

pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #182
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

That was a cool video. I think more cities should use maglev as a direct line to the airport. I wish they would do that in Austin. Park your car at the maglev station in far north or west Austin and get to the airport in 10 minutes. I think it would be great for the environment as well as convenience. Driving an hour to the airport for a 45 minute flight is ridiculous.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #183
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Very, very interesting. I noticed we went through some loooooong tunnels between Bologna and Firenze. There also a few tunnels I remember between Firenze and Roma. Also along the route there were quite a few areas where new track was being constructed.

Thanks for the information. It's too bad that the new lines are mostly going to be tunnels. The Italian countryside was the most beautiful I've seen almost anywhere.

The Roma-Firenze is an interesting line - called the Direttissima. Although it is now well below the standard required for euro standard 300 km/h due to certain curves, hence the reconstruction in parts.

I quite liked the trains that were designed for it - I saw them about ten years ago when I went from Reggio to Milan and back, they didn't look much like anything else in Europe to my knowledge.

from http://www.italferr.it/english/proje...rm_firenze.asp

Quote:
Rome-Florence 'Direttissima'

The Rome-Florence 'Direttissima' was the first high speed line in Europe and one of the first anywhere in the world. Designed in the early 1960s and built during the '70s, the line started entering service in 1978. It has a speed limit of 250 km/h and is 253.6 km long, running from Settebagni station to Rovezzano. There are six interconnection points with the existing Rome-Florence line at Orte, Orvieto, Chiuso, Arezzo, Valdarno and Rovezzano.
The construction of the new High Speed lines made it necessary to upgrade the Rome-Florence Direttissima in line with new standards.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #184
fetg_

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

That was a cool video. I think more cities should use maglev as a direct line to the airport. I wish they would do that in Austin. Park your car at the maglev station in far north or west Austin and get to the airport in 10 minutes. I think it would be great for the environment as well as convenience. Driving an hour to the airport for a 45 minute flight is ridiculous.
Austin is pretty close to it's airport. I think you can get a reasonable time with just a light rail connection, which is cheaper.
fetg_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #185
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
Nice subliminal advertising. I thought that was illegal?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #186
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

You mean the posters and brand names in the beginning at the central station? I think they belong to the station and are not intentionally put into this video. Otherwise they also would have shown the Lufthansa Self-Check-Ins completely and not without the brand name.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #187
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63135

It's not TV or anything, just a promo film, there are no rules.

As for the project, I will have doubts if it's goes ahead, only running maglevs can change that.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #188
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
You mean the posters and brand names in the beginning at the central station? I think they belong to the station and are not intentionally put into this video. Otherwise they also would have shown the Lufthansa Self-Check-Ins completely and not without the brand name.
I mean the out-of-place single frames from -2:13 to -2:02. I've watched the entire clip now though, and they're from the end of the movie, so it's probably just a transcoding problem. There's one particular frame that says "Fritz Steuber Productions" which made me think it was put in there on purpose, but I see now that it's from the end.

Back on topic: Hope they do actually build it.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #189
Fugit

Likes (Received): 161

When will be open lines: LGV Belgium L.4 and HSL Zuid from Antwerpen to Amsterdam and also when will be open the line LGV Belge L.3 from Liege to Aachen?
Fugit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #190
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugit View Post
When will be open lines: LGV Belgium L.4 and HSL Zuid from Antwerpen to Amsterdam and also when will be open the line LGV Belge L.3 from Liege to Aachen?
They should've both been open yet, but aren't. It's hard to tell when they will actually solve all the problems surrounding them.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #191
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Gibraltar Rail Tunnel and it will start construction in 2008

as i found out a study of a bridge or a tunnel for the Strait of Gibraltar is possible i am imagining that with this tunnel its possible to have high speed rail in it since it will be a new tunnel

since it will be rail it will be electric making it a higher chance to be like the channel tunnel and like my big project the Asiatunnels that will carry international High Speed Rail, Shuttle trains (that ferries cars, buses, motocycles, trucks, etc), International Night Trains (that are slower and that is more scenic and more of a romatiac transportation and also to serve overnight passengers), and Freight trains which is another important thing

this project which will mark an important link and important income to Africa and Europe

much the same way my grand scheme Asia project will bring Income to Asia

there is a problem the depth and earthquake

well the depth i think we will leave it to the professionals

but the earthquake problem can be solved like the tunnel in san francisco it carries the BART trains and it has several protection mechisams to protect it from earthquakes

but anyways this can mean it can finally bring High Speed Rail to Africa

so what do all of you think i think it can be build and its more possible then the bridge of Gibraltar

since the tunnels will use electric trains high speed rail is more possible
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #192
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

strange idea...EU pays for a project this size,although half of the members dont have railroads that can do 160...
BTW,how can be a tunnel romantic?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #193
Songoten2554

i don't mean the tunnel to be romantic i mean the sceney when you get out of the african side or the european side and when you hop on a train to go to another country it makes it all unique
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #194
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i don't mean the tunnel to be romantic i mean the sceney when you get out of the african side or the european side and when you hop on a train to go to another country it makes it all unique
where did you get the 2008 date? Even the producers of extreme engineering(discovery) admitted that the bridge is highly unprobable in the near future.
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #195
Songoten2554

by the way it will be paid between the spanish and monoroco governments as they conducted the research that the tunnel is more feasible then the bridge
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #196
Songoten2554

it said 2008 in wikipedia thats where i got it from and it said ends construction in 2025

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_Tunnel
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #197
Songoten2554

also they said that they conducted a three year research study starting in 2003 on a bridge or tunnel and both governments said that a Railway tunnel like the channel tunnel is more possible and more feasible to be built
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #198
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

There are much more important things in Europe's railway than Gibraltar tunnel. Like new Frejus tunnel and Brenner tunnel. They will cost immense amount of money, but at least they will pay itself in not so very distant future.

Even Channel tunnel still produces constant losses, I very much doubt, that Gibraltar tunnel will start construction in near future. And especially not in 2008.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #199
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
There are much more important things in Europe's railway than Gibraltar tunnel. Like new Frejus tunnel and Brenner tunnel. They will cost immense amount of money, but at least they will pay itself in not so very distant future.

Even Channel tunnel still produces constant losses, I very much doubt, that Gibraltar tunnel will start construction in near future. And especially not in 2008.
And why would EU fund the whole project(since no way a single country in the region could pay its cost),if it is not located totally in Europe? The EU wont even pay the whole cost of a new bridge in the member states...ships do the job there...this is like that super-texas corridor or what..has no meaning.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #200
Songoten2554

like i said it will be paid by the spanish and monroco governments so its europe and Africa that it will be paying for this as well

so we humans have built great engineering feats and you people say it can't be built like i said look at the link i gave it gives a better idea on what is the scope of this project