daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2121
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

The natural link from Madrid to Paris is via the Basque Country for sure.

Currently, the slowest part of the whole route, is the Basque Country itself, so, with the new Basque Y HSL travel times will improve drastically from Castille (central Spain) to Bordeaux.

From Zaragoza to the Basque Country, all the corridor is planned, but only a small stretch from Castejón to Villafranca was under construction. From Pamplona a direct new link to the Basque Y HSL between San Sebastiįn and Vitoria is planned, and it will improve the access from the Ebro valley to the Atlantic coast (towards Bilbao and towards Bordeaux). But you are right, only the Basque Y HSL won't improve the travel times from Zaragoza to Bordeaux.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #2122
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I wonder why this particular timing (10-13) was chosen for the single train from Barcelona to Toulouse? It's like designed to have a minimum amount of passengers… Maybe something to do with availability of train paths? It would be much better to have it earlier in the morning (say 8 am) so that people have most of the day left in Toulouse or in the evening (6 pm) so that people can spend most of the day in Barcelona or go after work if they live there.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:58 PM   #2123
TorinoBianconera88

Likes (Received): 573

Sorry for my ignorance.
Between Barcelone and Paris which is the part where the high speed rai is not built yet?
Do you think (when the Lyon-Turin is built) that we are gonna see a Milan Barcelona?
TorinoBianconera88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM   #2124
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
any news on Barcelona - Genčve? I fear we will be ignored, or at least, any news whether comfortable connections would be available in Lyon?
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2125
kbbcn

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorinoBianconera88 View Post
Between Barcelone and Paris which is the part where the high speed rai is not built yet?
Between Perpignan and Nimes.
kbbcn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2126
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
any news on Barcelona - Genčve? I fear we will be ignored, or at least, any news whether comfortable connections would be available in Lyon?
No official news, but some Spanish forumers have said in the second or third phase of the international services probably together with more daily services between the already announced cities, Geneva will be the following big city to be included.

However, the point of authorizing Renfe S100F and SNCF TGV 2N2-3UH trainsets for the Swiss network, or the capacity on the French tracks of the Geneva station, is not clear.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2127
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
No official news, but some Spanish forumers have said in the second or third phase of the international services probably together with more daily services between the already announced cities, Geneva will be the following big city to be included. However, the point of authorizing Renfe S100F and SNCF TGV 2N2-3UH trainsets for the Swiss network, or the capacity on the French tracks of the Geneva station, is not clear.
I think an Authorization for the Swiss network is not going to be needed. Afaik any French train can go to Geneve. As to Geneve - Barcelona: this will probably be an extension of the current Geneve - Perpignan train. So no capacity issues.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2128
Reivajar

You mean the Montpellier-Geneva service operated by TGV Lyria? I though Montpellier was its southern terminal...

Anyway, the other issue is the way to be operated. Right now all those new international services are operated by "Renfe/SNCF in cooperation". However, high speed services from France to Geneva are operated by TGV Lyria, which is 3/4 French owned and 1/4 Swiss owned. Then, those services will be transferred to Renfe/SNCF to be enlarged to Spain? A new three-national cooperation CFF+SNCF+Renfe will be created? Or Renfe/Adif will authorize to TGV Lyria to operate in Spain in their own?
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2129
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
As we learned this week:And later:
Source: tanjug.

Would this new railway line have anything in common with the envisaged high speed line from Hungary to Romania? I could easily imagine a common track from Budapest via Szeged and along the former 19th century line to Kikinda, where it could split with one branch continuing via Timisoara to Bucharest, the second one reaching Beograd via Zrenjanin region.

Most probably the new route would however be projected via Novi Sad, I guess.
It's only a feasibility study (though they are important enough).

I assume such a line would go through Szeged, so though a Y-branch would be smoother in a borderless world, a branch through Novi Sad should not be too much of a sacrifice if Serbia were outside the EU if/when such a line was constructed.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2130
danvic

Likes (Received): 14

News: Eurostar stake up for grabs in £10bn sell-off of government assets

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-privatisation
danvic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2131
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Now that the company finally turned around they want to sell it? Alright...
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2132
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Now that the company finally turned around they want to sell it? Alright...
British government wants to privatize a lot of business, Eurostar is just another bullet on the list.
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #2133
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
British government wants to privatize a lot of business, Eurostar is just another bullet on the list.
Well, I know that. It is just as retarded as privatizing the most profitable Post Service worldwide just because your ideology demands it. Labour can already set aside billions to re-nationalize.
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #2134
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Well, I know that. It is just as retarded as privatizing the most profitable Post Service worldwide just because your ideology demands it. Labour can already set aside billions to re-nationalize.
They do always sell stuff at the wrong time. A few years ago they sold off a large amount of the gold reserve just before the recession made the price rocket. I bet the share price of Eurostar does the same just after they sell it.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #2135
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Of course, since it most likely is going to be sold way too cheap.
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #2136
K_

Quote:
You mean the Montpellier-Geneva service operated by TGV Lyria? I though Montpellier was its southern terminal... Anyway, the other issue is the way to be operated. Right now all those new international services are operated by "Renfe/SNCF in cooperation". However, high speed services from France to Geneva are operated by TGV Lyria, which is 3/4 French owned and 1/4 Swiss owned. Then, those services will be transferred to Renfe/SNCF to be enlarged to Spain? A new three-national cooperation CFF+SNCF+Renfe will be created? Or Renfe/Adif will authorize to TGV Lyria to operate in Spain in their own?
Actually Lyria is just a marketing organization (just like Thalys). Trains are operated by SNCF in France and SBB in Switzerland. I suspect that such a service will use a stock TGV Dasye, as several other Lyria services already do.
Old December 6th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #2137
Reivajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Actually Lyria is just a marketing organization (just like Thalys). Trains are operated by SNCF in France and SBB in Switzerland. I suspect that such a service will use a stock TGV Dasye, as several other Lyria services already do.
Yes, the point is that according to the Renfe-SNCF agreement, trains are operated by Renfe on Spanish tracks and by SNCF on French tracks. So, extending Lyria services on Spanish tracks would force to integrate Renfe on Lyria structure.

Actually, the interesting thing is that the former night trains between Barcelona and Zurich and Milan were operated as well only by Elipsos, which belongs to SNCF (50%) and to Renfe (50%). I have no idea how was the cooperation with TrenItalia or SBB.

Which I really doubt is seeing Lyria trains on Spanish tracks without the participation of Renfe.
Old December 6th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2138
K_

Quote:
Yes, the point is that according to the Renfe-SNCF agreement, trains are operated by Renfe on Spanish tracks and by SNCF on French tracks. So, extending Lyria services on Spanish tracks would force to integrate Renfe on Lyria structure.
Not necessarily. On the operational side it would be just SNCF and RENFE, as SNCF runs on its own all the way to Geneve.
Old December 6th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #2139
Reivajar

Well, so they wouldn't need to be integrated on the Lyria network as far as they only get to Geneva and not farther in Switzerland.

It would be different if at some point those services would be extended to Zurich.
Old December 6th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #2140
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

But in that case SNCF and RENFE can always ask SBB if they'd like to participate. I can't think of any reason for SBB to refuse such an offer, as it will only increase the number of destinations available to Swiss passengers.