daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2241
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Consider yourself fortunate that apparently there is no "culture" of suicide by train in your country. Seems to be a perpetual problem in France… Happens in Switzerland too albeit far less often. In the last 4 years I've been late at work twice because of it.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2242
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

In the Netherlands it's also a popular way to go, unfortunately. Especially during autumn and around Christmas there'sa surge in the number of suicides by train
Old December 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2243
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Consider yourself fortunate that apparently there is no "culture" of suicide by train in your country. Seems to be a perpetual problem in France… Happens in Switzerland too albeit far less often. In the last 4 years I've been late at work twice because of it.
I don´t consider myself fortunate, since I´ve witnessed two cases, one in Tarragona and another at Albuixech (suburban Valencia), and believe me that it isn´t funny at all, to watch all the splatter and everything, while feeling impotent about the ones who did it.

What I meant to say was not just about the number of person incidents on the Languedoc line (unusually high, yes), but about all kinds of incidents, which are unusually high too, even for French standards (and no, in Spain we aren´t free of that at all, I know very well what a delay is, but maybe less so than if I lived in France).

But on the other hand, the punctuality on Spanish AVE services is very high.
The new France/Spain AVE/TGV services are faring worse than the Alvia, though (the trains that switch gauge to run on both HSLs and classic lines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
In the Netherlands it's also a popular way to go, unfortunately. Especially during autumn and around Christmas there'sa surge in the number of suicides by train
True, winter and Christmas seem to affect depressed people.

Last edited by 437.001; December 25th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #2244
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I don´t consider myself fortunate, since I´ve witnessed two cases, one in Tarragona and another at Albuixech (suburban Valencia), and believe me that it isn´t funny at all, to watch all the splatter and everything, while feeling impotent about the ones who did it.
Funny is the last thing I'd call it particularly if you are unfortunate enough to see the outcome (I haven't)...

Not sure if there is anything to be done to decrease such cases. One of the approaches tried here to who knows what effect is to not report on it publicly to discourage copycats.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #2245
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Considering the amount of trains I use each year, I think I am very lucky that I have never been on a train that hit a person, nor having ever witnessed it. Even the amount of delays which I had caused by such dramatic incidents has been quite low, fortunately.

Here in the Netherlands they try to keep people away from it in several ways: near the end of lots of platforms posters are placed that urge people who are feeling depressed to call the help line (the poster are simple and have "I listen..." in big words), ProRail is placing a lot of fence posts to make it more difficult to reach the railway, and staff (but also railway enthousiast and the crowd) are overall very alert for people acting suspicious on stations and around railway crossings.
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2246
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Funny is the last thing I'd call it particularly if you are unfortunate enough to see the outcome (I haven't)...

Not sure if there is anything to be done to decrease such cases. One of the approaches tried here to who knows what effect is to not report on it publicly to discourage copycats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Considering the amount of trains I use each year, I think I am very lucky that I have never been on a train that hit a person, nor having ever witnessed it. Even the amount of delays which I had caused by such dramatic incidents has been quite low, fortunately.

Here in the Netherlands they try to keep people away from it in several ways: near the end of lots of platforms posters are placed that urge people who are feeling depressed to call the help line (the poster are simple and have "I listen..." in big words), ProRail is placing a lot of fence posts to make it more difficult to reach the railway, and staff (but also railway enthousiast and the crowd) are overall very alert for people acting suspicious on stations and around railway crossings.
This is an interesting off-topic (and yes, I´ve seen twice the outcome... really saves you the day, to put it mildly. Oh, and being a fan of gore movies/videogames doesn´t help preparing for the real thing, sorry, I can attest).

But it was about the sum of all the causes of delays in the Languedoc line, that I wrote about, not just the person accidents.

And actually, turns out that the source who informed about that person accident was ill-informed.
There was no such accident at Port-la-Nouvelle at all. There is little or no guilt in the Languedoc line at all in the case we discuss.
Actually what really happened is that the the AVE departed Marseille St Charles station with a delay of 1h45min. Marseille being Marseille again.
The Spaniards aren´t accustomed to that yet.

Last edited by 437.001; December 26th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:20 PM   #2247
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Today:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...enger-barrier/

Eurostar breaks 10 million passenger barrier
2 JAN, 2014

Eurostar has transported 10 million passengers in a single year for the first time in its history.

The cross-border train operator has announced that in 2013 it carried 10 million passengers, 20 years since the launch of the first train between London, Paris and Brussels in November 1994.

The record takes the total number of Eurostar passengers to 140 million.

Nick Mercer, commercial director for Eurostar, said: “2013 has been a record breaking year for Eurostar. With a leap in passenger numbers as well as the introduction of new routes and new destinations, we are seeing growing demand from customers across Europe and indeed around the world.

“As we enter our twentieth year of operation, we have a year of activity planned on the run up to our 20th birthday in November.”
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #2248
dimlys1994

Today on Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...ge-agreed.html

Channel Tunnel mobile phone coverage agreed
09 Jan 2014

EUROPE: Eurostar and Le Shuttle passengers will be able to access mobile communications networks in both bores of the Channel Tunnel from March, after Eurotunnel signed a 10-year agreement with UK telecoms companies EE and Vodafone on January 9.

Under the agreement EE and Vodaphone customers will be able to access 2G and 3G services in the north running tunnel, which is generally used by trains from the UK to France. Both companies expect to offer 4G data services in the future.

Eurotunnel installed the cabling needed for mobile telecoms coverage during 2011-12 as part of its roll-out of GSM-R for railway use. These cables then needed connecting to the public telecoms companies' infrastructure at each end of the Channel Tunnel.

French telecoms operators were keen to get connectivity for UK-bound passengers in time for the London 2012 Olympic Games, and from June 2012 Bouygues Telecom, Orange and SFR began offering GSM-P services in the south running tunnel which is normally used by France - UK trains.

Work to connect the cables in the north running tunnel to the UK telecoms network is now underway for completion by March.
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #2249
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2014/0...m-rennovation/

Lille Eurostar departure lounge to undergo €3m rennovation
17 JAN, 2014

Lille’s Eurostar passenger departure lounge is to benefit from a €3 million makeover to accomodate the growing number of international passengers visiting the city.

Work will begin in March to increase the size of current departure lounge by 120 sqm and create a ‘better flow of passage’ for passengers.

Lille is the only provincial French city to directly connect four European capitals and by 2030 Eurostar estimates that passenger numbers will increase by more than 30 per cent.

Gares & Connexions, the body which manages stations on the French national rail network, has said that normal services will run throughout the work, which is expected to be completed by November 2014.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #2250
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

From April 14 onward there will be the following daily Thalys services between Lille and Amsterdam

Amsterdam => Lille (via Schiphol, Rotterdam C., Antwerpen C., Bruxelles-Midi)
7.18 => 9.52
16.18 => 18.58

Lille => Amsterdam
10.06 => 12.42
11.49 => 14.42
21.06 => 23.42
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #2251
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

Thanks for that information! some trains are now bound to Paris, will the Amsterdam - Paris service be cut?
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2252
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There is an extra Lille-Amsterdam service, from where does it come? It might just be a train that run on days when another one doesn't run, though, a thing French love so much (for instance, the 10.06 might run Mon-Fri, the 11.49 Sat-Sun).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2253
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9963

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
some trains are now bound to Paris, will the Amsterdam - Paris service be cut?
There are up to 10 direct Paris <-> Amsterdam Thalys services per day (via Brussels-Midi, Antwerp, Rotterdam and Schiphol Airport; not via Lille).

Here is the timetable:

Paris -> Amsterdam:
  • Thalys n°9303 06h25 -> 09h42
  • Thalys n°9309 07h25 -> 10h42
  • Thalys n°9315 08h25 -> 11h42
  • Thalys n°9327 10h25 -> 13h42
  • Thalys n°9339 12h25 -> 15h42
  • Thalys n°9351 14h25 -> 17h42
  • Thalys n°9357 15h25 -> 18h42
  • Thalys n°9369 17h25 -> 20h42
  • Thalys n°9381 19h25 -> 22h42
----
Amsterdam -> Paris:
  • Thalys n°9310 06h18 -> 09h35
  • Thalys n°9322 08h18 -> 11h35
  • Thalys n°9328 09h18 -> 12h35
  • Thalys n°9340 11h18 -> 14h35
  • Thalys n°9352 13h18 -> 16h35
  • Thalys n°9364 15h18 -> 18h35
  • Thalys n°9376 17h18 -> 20h35
  • Thalys n°9382 18h18 -> 21h35
  • Thalys n°9388 19h18 -> 22h35

P.S. Here are all the Thalys services from Paris:

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
[...]

Thalys:
Brussels (16 trains per day*), Antwerp, Rotterdam, Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam. (10 trains per day)
Brussels, Brussels Airport. (1 train per day)
Brussels, Ghent, Bruges, Ostend. (2 trains per day)
Mons, Charleroi, Namur, Liège. (1 train per day)
Brussels, Liège, Aachen, Cologne (5 trains per day), Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Airport (NEW), Duisburg, Essen. (3 trains per day)
(*in total, 24 trains per day are serving Brussels-Midi/Zuid from Paris-Nord)
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2254
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
Thanks for that information! some trains are now bound to Paris, will the Amsterdam - Paris service be cut?
No, these are extra services!

There are 9 regular trains from Amsterdam to Paris, 2 to Lille (weekdays) and then one other train that goes to Paris or only Bruxelles depending on the specific day schedule. This all mean a 12-train/day level of service between Amsterdam and Bruxelles (and intermediate cities where Thalys calls)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
There is an extra Lille-Amsterdam service, from where does it come? It might just be a train that run on days when another one doesn't run, though, a thing French love so much (for instance, the 10.06 might run Mon-Fri, the 11.49 Sat-Sun).
My bad

Departures from Lille Mon-Fri: 11.49, 21.06
Departures from Lille Sat: 10.06
Departures from Lille Sun: 21.06

Departures from Amsterdam Mon-Fri: 7.18, 16.18
Departures from Amsterdam Sat-Sun: 7.18
Old January 18th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #2255
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Interesting. At first look it seems like a precursor to future Eurostar services, but as it is Thalys, that cannot be the case. I guess these trains are to compensate for the Belgian/Dutch Ansaldo train disaster and the extension to Lille is just to provide them a final destination south of Brussels. Cannot imagine that Lille-Brussels traffic is so intense it would justify so many trains.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #2256
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Interesting. At first look it seems like a precursor to future Eurostar services, but as it is Thalys, that cannot be the case. I guess these trains are to compensate for the Belgian/Dutch Ansaldo train disaster and the extension to Lille is just to provide them a final destination south of Brussels.
Yes, they increased Thalys frequency from 9/day to 12/day to compensate for the suspension of Fyra services.

From 2016 there will be 2 extra services from Amsterdam to London which will be used also for travel between Netherlands and Belgium, bring it a total of 14 high-speed trains between Amsterdam and Bruxelles.
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #2257
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Interesting. At first look it seems like a precursor to future Eurostar services, but as it is Thalys, that cannot be the case. I guess these trains are to compensate for the Belgian/Dutch Ansaldo train disaster and the extension to Lille is just to provide them a final destination south of Brussels. Cannot imagine that Lille-Brussels traffic is so intense it would justify so many trains.
Lille offers services to places all over France. Having more trains to Brussel increases options between Brussel and places other than Paris.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #2258
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Starting from 31.03.2014 DB/ÖBB will offer a second train runnig from/to Bologna Centrale on their Munich/Italy Joint Venture.

http://www.travelquotidiano.com/tras...na/tqid-167460
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #2259
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Is it not simply an extension of the one presently terminating in Verona?
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #2260
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

It is, yes. It makes a lot of sense though, since TI service between Verona and Bologna at that time is far from good.