daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #2261
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Definitely makes sense. i remember taking that train a few years ago, to then take a local train to Bologna, to finally change unto a Frecciarossa to Rome, Naples, Salerno. Connecting directly to the main HS line in Italy with its frequent services is a totally different thing than ending in Verona.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #2262
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Elipsos service disappear with the new HSR between France and Spain.

What about the 3 last trains. Will they be sold ?

Francisco de Goya : Madrid Chamartin - Valladolid - Burgos - Vitoria-Gasteiz - Poitiers - Blois - Les Aubrais-Orléans - Paris-Austerlitz
Joan Miró : Barcelona-França - Gérone - Figuières - Les Aubrais-Orléans - Paris-Austerlitz
Elipsos 463 : Montpellier Saint Roch - Béziers - Narbonne - Perpignan - Cerbère - Portbou - Figueras - Gérone - Barcelona-França - Tarragone - Salou - Cambrils - Vinaroz - Benicarlo - Benicasim - Castellón - Valence - Xativa - Alicante - Elx - Murcie - Balsicas - Torre Pacheco - Cartagène

http://www.elipsos.com/

Quote:
La SNCF suspend Elipsos, le train de nuit franco-espagnol

Le mardi, 17/12/2013 07:43 | Écrit par Alex McWhirter

Le Signal service de train de nuit Elipsos disparait suite à la mise en service de la ligne TGV ParisSignal-Barcelone ce week-end...

LesSignal trains Elipsos manqueront sans doute à de nombreux voyageurs.

Elipsos était en effet l’un des rares trains de nuit en EuropeSignal à proposer un service de type hôtelier.

Les billets aux tarifs les pluis élevés permettaient de profiter d’une douche dans son compartiment ainsi que d’un wagon restaurant, ouvert durant toute la durée du voyageSignal.

Le temps de voyageSignal était par contre beaucoup plus long que le nouveau TGV: 11,5H entre Paris et Barcelone et 15,5h vers Madrid.

Le changement d'écartement à la frontière franco-espagnole se fasait via le passage à faible vitesse de la rame dans un équipement dit Cambiador: cela était nécessaire du fait de la différence de largeur de rails entre le réseau ferroviaire français et espagnol (les lignes TGV au contraire ont le même écartement).

Elipsos ciblait un certain type de voyageur mais ce train coutait cher: son fonctionnement nécessitait plus de personnel qu'un train de jour normal.

En outre, le train ne faisait qu’un voyage toutes les 24H quant un TGV peut en faire deux ou trois durant la même période.

Il y avait sans doute une clientèle pour ce train: en 2009, Elipsos avait transporté 300000 passagersSignal.

Ce que je trouve ennuyeux, c'est la façon dont les compagnies ferroviaires peuvent supprimer un tel service aussi subitement à une période de l’année aussi chargée.

Il y a quelques jours quand je faisais des recherches sur la plate-forme pour février prochain, le site Elipsos n’indiquait pas que ce train de nuit allait être prochainement suspendu.

Mais quand j’ai vérifié hier, les réservations étaient redirigées vers le TGV franco-espagnol avec une annonce uniquement en français et en espagnol.

Du fait des règles du droit commercial de l’Union Européenne les compagnies aériennes doivent prévenir 14 jours à l’avance lorsqu’un service est suspendu, sinon les passagers doivent être indemnisés.

Les compagnies ferroviaires ne sont pas sujettes aux mêmes règles. Ne serait pas le temps qu’elles le soient?

www.elipsos.com

---------------------

SNCF suspend Elipsos , the night train Franco-Spanish

On Tuesday, 12/17/2013 7:43 | Written by Alex McWhirter

Signal train service Elipsos night disappears after the commissioning of the TGV - ParisSignal Barcelona this weekend ...

LesSignal Elipsos trains probably fail many travelers.

Elipsos was indeed one of the few trains in EuropeSignal to offer hotel-style service .

Tickets to the pluis high tariffs allowed to enjoy a shower compartment and a diner, open throughout the duration of voyageSignal .

VoyageSignal time was much longer against by the new TGV : 11.5 H between Paris and Barcelona and Madrid to 15.5 h .

The gauge change to the Franco- Spanish border fasait via the passage at low speed of the train in equipment Cambiador said : this was necessary because of the difference in width between the rails of French and Spanish railway network ( lines TGV instead have the same gauge) .

Elipsos targeted a certain type of traveler but this train was expensive : its operation required more personal than being normal day.

In addition, the train did a trip every 24H on a TGV can make two or three during the same period.

There was probably a customer for this train in 2009, had carried Elipsos 300000 passagersSignal .

What I find annoying is how the railways can delete such a service as suddenly to a period of the year as charged.

There are some days when I was researching the platform for next February, the Elipsos website did not indicate that the night train would soon be suspended.

But when I checked yesterday , reservations were redirected to the Franco-Spanish TGV with an announcement only French and Spanish.

Because of commercial law EU airlines must notify 14 days in advance when service is suspended , otherwise passengers must be compensated.

The railways are not subject to the same rules . Would not be the time that they are ?

http://www.businesstravel.fr/la-sncf...-espagnol.html

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #2263
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Thalys luggage rules updated

This has been enacted couple weeks ago, but there are some crucial changes (not affecting 99% of passengers though) on luggage policies

Quote:
>You are allowed:
* Maximum 2 suitcases meeting the following conditions per paying passenger:
32 kg maximum per suitcase
158 cm maximum (the sum of height, width and depth)
* 1 carry-on bag

>Bulky items (bicycles, skis, musical instruments, etc.): You are allowed one bulky item on board only. In this case, you are allowed: 1 carry-on bag + 1 suitcase (32 kg max and max 158 cm (L+W+H) + 1 bulky item.

>To ensure everyone's safety, all luggage must be tagged

In the event of excess luggage or failure to comply with these conditions, Passengers may be charged €30 per bag (£25 between Brussels-London) or prevented from bringing them on board the Thalys train.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2264
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadiri View Post
Elipsos service disappear with the new HSR between France and Spain.
Just like the night services between Barcelona and Zurich, and Barcelona and Milan some time ago.

Quote:
What about the 3 last trains. Will they be sold ?
No, they´ll probably replace some other night trains in Spain.
Old February 6th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #2265
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
No, they´ll probably replace some other night trains in Spain.
But with the opening of new HSR in Spain, such services will also disaper or being reduce ?

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:40 AM   #2266
tigerleapgorge

Likes (Received): 7

Barcelona to Paris is only 10 euros more expansive than Barcelona to Avignon. Is it me or is the pricing just kind of bizarre considering the distance between Paris and Avignon?
tigerleapgorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #2267
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerleapgorge View Post
Barcelona to Paris is only 10 euros more expansive than Barcelona to Avignon. Is it me or is the pricing just kind of bizarre considering the distance between Paris and Avignon?
It is just market-based pricing. Paris-Barcelona has severe competition from cheap air traffic. Barcelona-Avignon has far less competition from airlines. Thus, prices can be higher on a per-km basis to Avignon than to Paris.

This is nothing new.

Often, you can find Paris-Amsterdam tickets costing the just € 5 more (and sometimes less) than Bruxelles-Amsterdam, even if the Paris-Amsterdam trains actually stops in Bruxelles.
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #2268
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This has been enacted couple weeks ago, but there are some crucial changes (not affecting 99% of passengers though)
This seems to affect 100% of passengers:

"To ensure everyone's safety, all luggage must be tagged"
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #2269
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
This seems to affect 100% of passengers:

"To ensure everyone's safety, all luggage must be tagged"
I think it is a sensible policy, one that also makes it easier for security agents at stations to quickly ascertain whether some passenger is carrying his/her own luggage (and not a stolen one).
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #2270
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I think it is a sensible policy, one that also makes it easier for security agents at stations to quickly ascertain whether some passenger is carrying his/her own luggage (and not a stolen one).
I've never seen a security agent in a station do something like that. I doubt they even have the power to do so.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #2271
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I've never seen a security agent in a station do something like that. I doubt they even have the power to do so.
If they don't they should. It would provide cause for stop and ask for ID (to match the ID of the tag on the bag) of suspicious passengers that might be stealing bags from other people.
Old February 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #2272
K_

Quote:
If they don't they should. It would provide cause for stop and ask for ID (to match the ID of the tag on the bag) of suspicious passengers that might be stealing bags from other people.
So all a thief needs to do is put a different tag on the suitcase, and he's ok...

Silly_Walks liked this post
Old February 6th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #2273
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Quote:
But with the opening of new HSR in Spain, such services will also disaper or being reduce ?
I guess that they will tend to be reduced.

An example: right now, Tarragona to Cordoba takes 3h30min in the best of cases, 4h in most of cases, by taking an AVE. When I was a kid, that was 12h being very optimistic! There´s no point (nor enough business case) for a night train in such conditions (and Renfe ensured that there´s no possible case for that by cutting the night train from Barcelona to Cadiz).

On the other hand, there still is a night train between Barcelona and Granada, but we suspect that it will be cut as soon as the HSL between Antequera and Granada opens, since the travel time between Barcelona and Granada will be reasonably shortened.

The same applies to Barcelona-Paris (not very good for Orleans and Limoges though, they´ve lost their direct train to Barcelona).

As for Barcelona-Zurich, we guess that as soon as the reelectrification between Bellegarde and Geneva is completed, a new TGV Barcelona-Geneva will appear.
I don´t know about the connections for Lausanne, Fribourg, Bern and Zurich though, but I assume that the Swiss will offer some kind of connection.

On the really losing side, Madrid-Hendaye-Paris, which now can only be done via a change at Hendaye.
And in particular, Barcelona-Milan, there is no direct rail connection between Spain and Italy now, and the day trains aren´t very good either (at least two changes!).

On the other hand, when the Nimes-Montpellier section of the HSL will open, travel times will improve a bit more, so maybe a direct daily TGV (not AVE) Brussels-Barcelona will be possible by then, by extending some services.

Gadiri liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; February 6th, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #2274
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
As for Barcelona-Zurich, we guess that as soon as the reelectrification between Bellegarde and Geneva is completed, a new TGV Barcelona-Geneva will appear.
I don´t know about the connections for Lausanne, Fribourg, Bern and Zurich though, but I assume that the Swiss will offer some kind of connection.
From Geneva you have connections to any point in Switzerland... The important thing will be for this train to arrive/leave Geneve at a usefull time,

437.001 liked this post
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2275
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Often, you can find Paris-Amsterdam tickets costing the just € 5 more (and sometimes less) than Bruxelles-Amsterdam, even if the Paris-Amsterdam trains actually stops in Bruxelles.
A while ago I saw someone complaining on Twitter that Thalys was charging him through the roof for a one-way tickets from Paris to Brussels. I advised him to look at tickets for other destinations such as Rotterdam or Lille.

He finally bought a ticket from Paris to Liège, but only planning to stay on board until Brussels. That little trick saved him € 40!
Old February 8th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #2276
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
A while ago I saw someone complaining on Twitter that Thalys was charging him through the roof for a one-way tickets from Paris to Brussels. I advised him to look at tickets for other destinations such as Rotterdam or Lille. He finally bought a ticket from Paris to Liège, but only planning to stay on board until Brussels. That little trick saved him € 40!
It's probably because it's such a busy route? I just bought mine for $29 (but I was sure to book 90 days in advance, otherwise I'd be long at more than $70).
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #2277
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
It's probably because it's such a busy route?
I believe he was able to book on the same train

The yield management system employed by Thalys charges you more for popular destinations (Paris <-> Brussels is Thalys' top relation) if you don't book early. If you know how to beat the system, you can save money.

Quote:
I just bought mine for $29 (but I was sure to book 90 days in advance, otherwise I'd be long at more than $70).
$29 is a nice price.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #2278
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
The yield management system employed by Thalys charges you more for popular destinations (Paris <-> Brussels is Thalys' top relation) if you don't book early. If you know how to beat the system, you can save money.
I've also come to see that it charges a bit more during busy periods: 09:00-12:00 and 16:00-19:00 (mid morning and early evening, I don't know exact times, just an approximation).

Quote:

$29 is a nice price.
29 Euros
which is about $40.
Sorry!
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #2279
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Southeasteuropean International Connections to be Improved

Because of financial and/or technical difficulties of the national rail companies and Croatia being integrated into EU rail stipulations, international rail services were severely reduced in the Balkans following the 2008 crisis. Talks are now underway for reinstating some of those services. There is nothing official at the moment, but some rail buffs with good connections to rail officials have spread the word that the following connections could be reintroduced:

334/335 Beograd - Skopje -> extension to Thessaloniki as early as Easter
258/259 Budapest-Sarajevo, looking good
314/315 Villach-Beograd as night train, looking good
210/211 Villach-Vinkovci - could be extended to Beograd, but chances are slim
1204/1205 (summer only) Budapest-Split: possible rerouting to Rijeka
Source: http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/fore...6761563,page=1

jonasry, Verso liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #2280
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

The Balkan region is f*cked up... Sorry for my word, but we are too much behind the central European countries, not mentioning the west European countries...

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote