daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2461
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And yet - haven taken the CNL from Amsterdam to Munich a few times, I have always seen commuters getting on at Augsburg...
If you look at the arrivals for München you'll notice that there are two trains that both arrive at the same time at platform 13... CNL 419, and IC 60419... DB is just pulling two trains with the same locomotive.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:33 PM   #2462
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
If you look at the arrivals for München you'll notice that there are two trains that both arrive at the same time at platform 13... CNL 419, and IC 60419... DB is just pulling two trains with the same locomotive.
The few times I traveled on it I I slept in a bed in the sleeping car. Last hour of the journey I just stand in the corridor to move my legs a bit - among commuters who got on at Augsburg.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:49 PM   #2463
K_

Quote:
The few times I traveled on it I I slept in a bed in the sleeping car. Last hour of the journey I just stand in the corridor to move my legs a bit - among commuters who got on at Augsburg.
I believe you. What DB does is add a whole rake of seating coaches in Stuttgart. That part is officially train 60419. The commuters are supposed to only get on board in that part, but apparently this is not strictly enforced. It is a way is sharing a slot between two trains though.
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #2464
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26199

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...t-charges.html

Eurotunnel cuts freight charges
28 Apr 2014

EUROPE: Channel Tunnel concessionaire Eurotunnel announced a reduction in track access charges of up to 50% on April 28, saying it hopes this will lead to a doubling of the number of freight trains through the tunnel to 5 000 per year in 2018.

The announcement follows the European Commission opening an infringement procedure in June 2013 looking into whether France and the UK had failed to implement EU rules on access to the Channel Tunnel.

The revised access charges will apply from June 2014 until 2023. The Eurotunnel Incentive for Capacity Additions scheme which offers rebates to new entrants will also be extended to 2018 and expanded from intermodal trains to include the transport of new cars, food and drink in conventional full train loads, consumer goods, logistics flows, manufactured goods and permanent distribution and service flows ‘suffering from obstacles outside of the Fixed Link’.

Eurotunnel’s own Shuttle services are excluded from most EU rail rules, including those on track access charges, and were not covered by the EC infringement proceedings.

Access charge reductions from 2013 levels:
  • Peak times - 30% to 45%
  • Off-peak (weekdays 23.00 - 07.00) - 25%
  • Weekend maintenance periods - 33·3%
The most expensive maintenance period will be reduced from three to two nights per week, and access charges will not be linked to inflation until 2018

In addition, the Intergovernmental Commission which regulates the tunnel has issued a decision obliging Eurotunnel to make its costs more transparent, and a €600 security fee imposed by French infrastructure manager RFF on UK-bound trains is to be eliminated.

The European Commission welcomed the changes, and has dropped the infringement procedure against the two countries. It said the average one-way access charge of approximately €4 500 per freight train was ‘a major reason’ why there is 43% unused capacity in the tunnel, with seven freight trains/day rather ’30 to 40 a day as originally envisaged when the tunnel was opened’. The Commission believes freight is being carried on lorries rather than by rail as a result.

‘I welcome Eurotunnel's announcement because it should pave the way for more freight to use the Channel Tunnel and at lower prices’, said EU Transport Commissioner Siim Kallas. ‘It stands to unblock a major bottleneck in Europe's transport network. This is good news for Europe's businesses that rely on effective and competitively priced transport services and good news for consumers they serve. It is also good news for the environment, as rail is the most energy efficient way of transporting goods.’

Channel Tunnel usage in 2011/12:
  • Passengers (million) - 9.7/9.9
  • Freight trains - 2 388/2 325

KingNick, SAS 16 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2465
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The downside of that approach is that when some disruption happens, chaos ensue.
That's absolutely false! Having a timetable rather than a bunch of trains running randomly actually eases handling traffic during disruptions. For example, SBB has a sort of backup timetables/procedures quickly applied when a disruption occurs. When landslides blocked the Gotthard railway three times in 2012, trains restarted running on time quickly. Obviously, if the railway is interrupted or with reduced capacity, disruptions are inevitables, but without chaos.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2466
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

Hey!

any news about more France/Spain TGV and AVE trains?

There needs to be an early connection in the morning from Barcelona direction France! The first train leaving at 9.20!! is much too late to attract any business passengers for a train Barcelona - south of France!
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #2467
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15487

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
Hey!

any news about more France/Spain TGV and AVE trains?

There needs to be an early connection in the morning from Barcelona direction France! The first train leaving at 9.20!! is much too late to attract any business passengers for a train Barcelona - south of France!
I´m afraid you´ll have to wait until July.
There will be some more changes then.
What we have for now, likely as they might seem, are just rumours...

But I think we can confirm that no TGV Barcelona-Geneva will be created yet.
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #2468
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

I have a question: do they have plans to improve the lackluster München-Praha connection?
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #2469
Road_UK
BANNED

Munich-Prague in English.
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #2470
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Oh come on, Roadster, don't be such a pig. Everybody understands what he means and in railway standards, it is common to indicate stations in their respective national languages no matter where you are.
To my knowledge, there is no plan for services from M. to the Czech lands, but upgrading between Prague and Pilzn (would you prefer Pilsen, Roadster?) will eventually lead to better services between Praha and Nürnberg. But correct me if I am wrong southerners. Problem is DB has such a backlog of improving to do it does not know where to start and on many important border-crossing projects, they usually only commit themselves to a minor upgrade sometime before 2030.

londondude, Stravinsky liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2471
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Between Prague and Nurenberg, for the time being, if you ask the bahn.de
website, it pushes you onto a bus instead of a train. So when I went there
(last month), I went via Dresden instead...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #2472
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Between Prague and Nurenberg, for the time being, if you ask the bahn.de
website, it pushes you onto a bus instead of a train. So when I went there
(last month), I went via Dresden instead...
There is a train, but not from Nürnberg. The Vogtlandbahn still runs trains from München to Praha via Schwandorf. You can take a local between Nürnberg and Schwandorf. You ought to be able to force DB to sell you a ticket for that if you play around with the right via/mode of transportation combination.
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #2473
Sister Greed U

This is good news.

Quote:
Euskotren and SNCF plan the improvement of the connection TER-Euskotren (popularly nicknamed "El Topo" -"the mole"-) at Hendaye station

Under the Basque Country-Aquitaine Euroregion and the programme Transfermuga-2, they will analize the improvement of the transfrontier route between Donostia/San Sebastian and Bayonne

Source (in Spanish): Vía Libre
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #2474
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Suburbanist always uses place names in the original language, except for those in Südtirol-Alto Adige, where he uses only the Italian ones - even when those are a recent invention and not used by 99% of the locals.

(IMHO, when writing in a given language one should use its version if it exists -Munich and Prague in this case- and when it does not exist, the local version should be preferred, non the one of the main language of the state! so Neuchâtel not Neuenburg, Bellinzona not Bellenz, Innichen not San Candido)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

londondude liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2475
Sister Greed U

error post
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2476
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post

Suburbanist always uses place names in the original language, except for those in Südtirol-Alto Adige, where he uses only the Italian ones - even when those are a recent invention and not used by 99% of the locals.

(IMHO, when writing in a given language one should use its version if it exists -Munich and Prague in this case- and when it does not exist, the local version should be preferred, non the one of the main language of the state! so Neuchâtel not Neuenburg, Bellinzona not Bellenz, Innichen not San Candido)
He once lectured native English speakers how to speak English...
Old April 30th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #2477
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
München-Prag auf deutsch.
What Is Love?

Stravinsky liked this post
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2478
3locations

Likes (Received): 5448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
München-Prag auf deutsch.
Munich-Prague en français (in french)

Stravinsky, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
3locations no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2479
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

München-Praha in Norwegian. According to the EU TEN-T schemes, Berlin-Nürnberg-München-Roma-Palermo will be a trunk line, while Nürnberg-Plzeň-Praha-Brno-Wien (and Dresden-Praha-Linz-Wien) will just be secondary lines in the future.

:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:56 PM   #2480
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Special train between Madrid and Lisbon for the Champions League Final between Atlético de Madrid and Real Madrid. Extremely low fares for the regular price of tickets between Madrid and Lisbon. However, obviously this train is full. It was created when only Real Madrid was qualified, so we'll see if Renfe and CP create new additional special trains, which would be probably filled too, after the Atlético qualification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotaerre View Post

jonasry liked this post
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote