daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:57 PM   #2521
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A train with 24 cars? That look way too much, maybe? Isn't that longer than security specs for signaling blocks in certain sectors?
What's wrong with train occupying several signal blocks? It surely reduces track capacity, but it doesn't threaten security, as long as braking distance are within acceptable boundaries.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:00 PM   #2522
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
What's wrong with train occupying several signal blocks? It surely reduces track capacity, but it doesn't threaten security, as long as braking distance are within acceptable boundaries.
Aren't tracks between Coimbra and Lisboa quite busy?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM   #2523
DKF01

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Aren't tracks between Porto and Lisboa quite busy?
Yep but there are gaps between the Intercitties trains and the regionals trains however looking at the timetable most of the trains will be running when the traffic is low.
DKF01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:15 PM   #2524
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Aren't tracks between Coimbra and Lisboa quite busy?
For sure. The Portuguese Northern Line (Linha do Norte, Lisbon-Porto) is the busiest of the Portuguese network. There are more than 100 trains in every direction every day. Probably the busiest section is the closest to Lisbon with four tracks.

Anyway, I assume the total length of the scheduled Talgo trainsets are absolutely within authorised circulation standards in Spain and Portugal. Maybe they are on the limit of the length for passengers trains, but not any extraordinary circulation either.

The longest scheduled trainset will have 24 cars. It would mean around 350 m long.

Last edited by Reivajar; May 22nd, 2014 at 02:24 PM.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2525
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
The longest scheduled trainset will have 24 cars. It would mean around 350 m long.
11.8m per car ?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2526
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Every Talgo car is 13,14 m long (however, first and last cars are slightly longer) + 20 m for a locomotive... so, yes, more or less 350 m.
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2527
cle

Likes (Received): 524

How much time will the HSL Montpellier - Nimes avoiding route save on a Paris to Barcelona train?

And will trains still stop at the traditional stations using the lines in and out to the classic lines, or will some skip them for faster end to end journeys?

Great to see expansion of the route, and to Toulouse also! I hope one day to be able to travel directly from London, but our security nonsense means this is a long way off. The current EU/UKIP climate makes Schengen even more of a hot potato!

Until then, perhaps more connections could be done at Lille or Disney! A segregated facility/route at Lyon should be next, if incrementally done. I'm not sure what Eurostar's full plans are, now that DB is backing off. I don't see much value in London to CDG though.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #2528
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15449

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
How much time will the HSL Montpellier - Nimes avoiding route save on a Paris to Barcelona train?
Not a lot, 30 min at most.
The big save in travel time would be to have the whole Nimes-Montpellier-Perpignan route on HSL, that would mean saving more than one hour.

The main purpose of the Nimes-Montpellier section of the HSL is to desaturate the classic line between those two cities, the line´s very charged.

Quote:
And will trains still stop at the traditional stations using the lines in and out to the classic lines, or will some skip them for faster end to end journeys?
I think we´ll see a mix of both.
Nimes-TGV station will be at Manduel, near Manduel-Redessan station of the classic line (which will probably be relocated to the new Nimes-TGV).
But the current central Nimes station will be maintained for some services.

As for Montpellier, some trains will keep on using Montpellier-St Roch station (which is having an upgrade), while some others will use the future Montpellier-Odysseum station.

Quote:
Great to see expansion of the route, and to Toulouse also!
Finally, there is no second AVE Barcelona-Toulouse, it´s just the timetables that will be modified.

There will be no other new service tan the fourth TGV Barcelona-Paris.

I can confirm another novelty though.
The AVE Madrid-Marseille will add two new stops: Zaragoza-Delicias, and Camp de Tarragona. Both cities (Tarragona and Zaragoza) have large urban areas, as large as Montpellier, so calling there makes sense, as right now people already use them to travel to France, but they have to change at Barcelona-Sants.

Quote:
I hope one day to be able to travel directly from London, but our security nonsense means this is a long way off. The current EU/UKIP climate makes Schengen even more of a hot potato!
This is off-topic, but I'm frankly much more worried about France and the National Front (Le Pen) than about the UK. Not to talk about Spain, of course.

But yeah, a direct service Barcelona-Brussels and a Barcelona-London would make sense (at least one per day and direction).
There are people who travel by train from the UK and Belgium to Spain now, but they have to change at Paris, or at Montpellier and then Lille.

The problem is the saturation of the Paris-Lyon HSL, where hardly any more trains could be stuffed, there´s a lack of capacity.

Quote:
Until then, perhaps more connections could be done at Lille or Disney! A segregated facility/route at Lyon should be next, if incrementally done. I'm not sure what Eurostar's full plans are, now that DB is backing off. I don't see much value in London to CDG though.
We´ll see.
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #2529
cle

Thanks for your replies. Shame about Toulouse but hopefully it will continue to prove itself - Bordeaux seems such an obvious extension.

One day, perhaps a Barcelona train could run to Lille and split - with one portion to Brussels and one to London. London people could get off for security and reboard, if that was necessary at the time (as with the Aix trial). Unit-wise, to split and join, this would need to be a TGV, correct?

Lille needs an iconic resto or attraction right near to the station to help placate people making changes; no-one complains about Le Train Bleu!
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #2530
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
How much time will the HSL Montpellier - Nimes avoiding route save on a Paris to Barcelona train? And will trains still stop at the traditional stations using the lines in and out to the classic lines, or will some skip them for faster end to end journeys? Great to see expansion of the route, and to Toulouse also! I hope one day to be able to travel directly from London, but our security nonsense means this is a long way off. The current EU/UKIP climate makes Schengen even more of a hot potato! Until then, perhaps more connections could be done at Lille or Disney! A segregated facility/route at Lyon should be next, if incrementally done. I'm not sure what Eurostar's full plans are, now that DB is backing off. I don't see much value in London to CDG though.
Security and migration are two different things. If the requirements of passenger screening are abolished and passport control is done upon arrival in London trains from other European destinations will become feasible.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM   #2531
cle

It's a shame they can't start doing it on the train after leaving Brussels/Paris/Disney/wherever - with slack in the timetable to stop if required at Lille or Calais to remove anyone.

I understand that was on the table, but rejected. Hopefully it can come back again. Don't Eurostar trains have a small detention facility? Do e320s?
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2532
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

The last months of the famous EuroNight Jan Kiepura (Amsterdam - Warsaw) have arrived.
There are strong rumours that Amsterdam as final destination will be cut in August. It will terminate already in Germany. From December the through cars Amsterdam - Copenhagen will be history, as well.

Some old videos for the memory:

In Through Sleeper Car Prague - Amsterdam:

In Sleeper Car Warsaw - Amsterdam:

In Sleeper Car Amsterdam - Prague:

In Sleeper Car Amsterdam - Moscow:

In Sleeper Car Basel - Minsk:

In Sleeper Car Basel - Moscow:

loloo liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #2533
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It's not certain yet that the EN Jan Kiepura will stop serving Amsterdam altogether, all we know right now is that it's scheduled to run until august.

At the end of August, ProRail and DB Netze will start infrastructure maintenance on the Zevenaar - Emmerich border crossing. The current ATB train protection system, which is used by the NS Class 1700 locomotive that haul the train between Amsterdam and Emmerich, will be dismantled. Instead, the ETCS system which is present on the Betuweroute freight corridor will be extended to Emmerich.

As the Class 1700 is not equipped with the ETCS system, it will no longer be allowed to cross the border into Emmerich after the transition is made. NS (the operator responsible for the operation on Dutch soil) is probably busy working out alternatives. Stay tuned...
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2534
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

That is too bad. Amsterdam-Prague was one of the few distances where I found night trains to be competitive with air, where I actually would prefer a night on the train to a morning on a plane.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #2535
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Swapping the class 1700 for a class 186 would solve it, but knowing NS they have zero reserve capacity.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #2536
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
That is too bad. Amsterdam-Prague was one of the few distances where I found night trains to be competitive with air, where I actually would prefer a night on the train to a morning on a plane.
What a pity indeed. Actually, I took the train several times. The sleeping carriages were really comfortable and convenient. Breakfast and shower included.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 03:10 AM   #2537
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Del.
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:30 PM   #2538
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/f...r-service.html

DB Schenker Rail launches Köln - Istanbul semi-trailer service
26 Jun 2014

DB Schenker Rail has launched a freight service carrying road semi-trailers between Köln and the Çerkezköy freight terminal near Istanbul, photo by DB Schenker

EUROPE: DB Schenker Rail has launched a freight service carrying road semi-trailers between Köln and the Çerkezköy freight terminal near Istanbul. The journey time is five to six days.

The semi-trailer service follows the launch of DB Schenker Rail’s Germany – Turkey Bosporus Shuttle container and wagonload service in September 2013. ‘Our new rail product is the first rail connection that is able to transport semi-trailers directly to their destination in Turkey, 40 km outside of Istanbul. Up to now, this procedure was only possible with containers’, said Andreas Schulz, Head of the Intermodal Industry Sector at DB Schenker Rail.

The service is operated for Turkish freight forwarder Ulusoy Logistics, which has transferred its existing traffic from road and ferry to rail. Subject to demand, DB hopes to increase the initial weekly semi-trailer service to three per week by the end of the year.

The trains are operated by DB Schenker Rail's national companies in Germany, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria, while DB Schenker Rail has a partnership with Lokomotion in Austria and works with national railway TCDD in Turkey. DB Schenker offers terminal and agency services in Germany and Turkey, and a simplified customs procedure to reduce delays at the Turkish border.

‘With our national companies, we already have a strong DB Schenker Rail presence in southeast Europe today. Looking at Turkey's position as a growth market, this is a clear advantage that we want to continue to develop in the future’, said Hans-Georg Werner, Head of Region East

Swede liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #2539
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton Argus
An intrepid traveller from East Sussex has set a new world record after visiting seven European capital cities in 24 hours with six train journeys and one flight. Barnaby Davies has added his name to the Guinness World Record books.

Mr Davies, an experienced roadie who has worked for Madonna, Metallica and Beyonce, said his mum came up with the idea after being challenged by EasyJet to visit six capitals in one day.

Mr Davies said: “My Mum said, ‘You’re always travelling around Europe, you can do seven can’t you?’ And that was like a red rag to a bull.”

On a journey which lasted 23 hours and 49 minutes, Mr Davies visited London, Paris, Brussels, Ljubljana, Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest. When mapping out his route, Mr Davies was confident of setting the record.

The 39-year-old, of St George’s Road in Hastings, added: “The schedule was do-able, but the train I was most worried about was Hastings to London".

As well as setting a new world record, Mr Davies raised $300 for the US branch of the charity ECPAT, which campaigns against child trafficking and exploitation.

The Argus story link
(Bold by me)

437.001 liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #2540
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15449

Whenever I go abroad (that is, France or beyond), the train I´m most worried about is always the Tarragona to Barcelona regional express.