daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #2541
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...corridors.html

€53m loan for Rail Baltica and transit corridors
17 Jul 2014

LITHUANIA: Nordic Investment Bank has signed an 18-year €53m loan agreement with national railway Lietuvos Gelezinkeliai to finance works for the Rail Baltica project and modernisation of the east–west corridors.

The loan announced on July 15 will facilitate the construction of a 115 km standard gauge line parallel to the existing broad gauge line from the Polish border to Kaunas. Funds will also be allocated for upgrades to the Minsk – Vilnius – Klaipeda and Kaunas – Kaliningrad corridors, which carry about 90% of Lithuanian’s transit rail freight and 70% of passenger traffic.

A previous loan of €114m was signed by NIB and LG in June 2013.

A draft shareholders’ agreement for the creation of a joint venture to undertake the development of the Rail Baltica project was finalised by Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia at the end of June. This is intended to facilitate securing European financing for the scheme
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #2542
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Save International Night Trains!

There are ongoing online petitions to save the endangered night trains (berlin/Hamburg-Paris) and from/to Copenhagen. Please give your support!

http://www.petitions24.com/signature...ark_to_europe/

http://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/...share_petition

jonasry liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2543
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Construction begins on Brenner tunnel sections
Monday, July 21, 2014

CONSTRUCTION began on one of the largest lots of the Brenner Base Tunnel on 18 July, when excavation commenced on the northern section between Tulfes and Pfons near Innsbruck

A consortium of Strabag, Austria, and Salini-Impreglio, Italy, was awarded a €380m contract last month to carry out the work, which comprises a 9km emergency tunnel, which runs parallel with the existing Innsbruck bypass line, two connections totalling 9km between the bypass and the main running tunnels, and an exploratory bore along the first 15km section of the main base tunnel.

Construction of these tunnels should be completed by 2018. With the exception of the exploratory bore, which will use a TBM, blasting will be used to excavated the tunnels
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:24 PM   #2544
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

EU allocates €50m to TEN-T rail projects
Thursday, July 31, 2014

AS part of continuing efforts to improve Europe's transport infrastructure through the Trans-European Network (TEN-T) programme, the European Union has allocated €320m to support 106 projects, including €50.25m to fund 50% of the cost of 18 rail project studies.

The bulk of the cash for rail is for ERTMS schemes, with 10 projects receiving €37.6m in total. Slovenia secured the largest allocation, €19.9m towards its project to introduce ERTMS on corridor D from Pivka to Murska Sobota and Divaca Koper. Programmes to retrofit locomotives and coaches used in Belgium and Luxembourg were other major beneficiaries, while Banedanmark secured €6.9m towards its test programme for ETCS Baseline 3.

Elsewhere Denmark's Road Directorate secured €15m towards studies of a 3.9km road-rail bridge that will replace the existing single-track Storstrøm bridge on the line to the new Fehman Belt fixed link. Austria's Federal Ministry for Transport Innovation and Technology secured just under €4m for an environmental impact assessment of the proposed second double-track section between Linz and Wels and €2.2m for a similar study on the Salzburg – Steindorf/Straßwalchen line. The Czech Republic's ministry of transport has received €629,000 towards planning of a high-speed line between Prague and Dresden, while Finland's Ministry for Transport will receive €2.5m towards studies for the track-doubling project between Helsinki and Riihimäki.

Other allocations include:
  • €1.2m towards a new centralised traffic control centre for Dublin
  • €5.5m towards the removal of a bottleneck at the Calandbridge in the port of Rotterdam
  • €2.9m towards studies to connect Crossrail with the West Coast Main Line in Britain
  • €3.5m for improving intermodal links at the Belfast intermodal terminal
  • €1.8m for studies to enhance capacity at Milan Lambrate from 700 to 800 trains per day.
The Innovation and Networks Executive Agency will work with the project beneficiaries to monitor the projects under the auspices of the Directorate General for Mobility and Transport of the European Commission.

KingNick, Verso liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; July 31st, 2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2545
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Elsewhere Denmark's Road Directorate secured €15m towards studies of a 3.9km road-rail bridge that will replace the existing single-track Storstrøm bridge on the line to the new Fehman Belt fixed link. Austria's Federal Ministry for Transport Innovation and Technology secured just under €4m for an environmental impact assessment of the proposed second double-track section between Linz and Wels and €2.2m for a similar study on the Salzburg – Steindorf/Straßwalchen line. The Czech Republic's ministry of transport has received €629,000 towards planning of a high-speed line between Prague and Dresden
At least that is something, even if merely for studies. The Fehmarn Belt would improve connections between Scandinavia and Northern Germany, and Dresden-Prague would improve connections between Northern Germany and Central Europe.

That should shave off a few hours. Today the fastest connection Copenhagen-Prague would be 11 hours 45 minutes for a great circle distance of 634 km (for an average net speed of 54 km/h).

dimlys1994 liked this post
:jax: está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 06:40 PM   #2546
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Were getting €2.9m to look into connecting Crossrail to the WCML (to relief capacity into Euston to allow for HS2 rebuilding one assumes) and yet people still say the EU does nothing for us!

On wnxx this has been posted and this thread seems to be an appropriate place to put it since I've not seen anything about it: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...arseille-route
Quote:
Eurostar is planning to operate a new route to Marseille next year.

The cross-Channel operator wants to run a London-Lille-Lyon-Marseille service from next spring.

Last year, it trialled a London-Lille-Lyon summer service over a six-week period.

A Eurostar spokesman told Business Traveller: "Following the success and popularity of our trial service direct to Lyon and Provence in the south of France during summer 2013, we made the decision to introduction a permanent, year-round service from 2015.

"Tickets will be available for sale towards the end of 2014 with the first services departing in the spring 2015. We expect to be able to announce in the autumn full details of the new service including fares and timetables."

Eurostar yesterday announced it has seen a 6 per cent increase in business travellers in the first half of this year (see news, July 17).
I'm guessing it'll be one train per day since they don't have any additional stock available for these services yet. I'd imagine it'll just be some messing around with the diagrams for to get the stock but should be achievable. Euro* have one power car running around in the new livery but we're still awaiting the carriages, I'm guessing the first refurbished set will be formally unveiled at the same time as the 374s.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2547
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
At least that is something, even if merely for studies. The Fehmarn Belt would improve connections between Scandinavia and Northern Germany, and Dresden-Prague would improve connections between Northern Germany and Central Europe.

That should shave off a few hours. Today the fastest connection Copenhagen-Prague would be 11 hours 45 minutes for a great circle distance of 634 km (for an average net speed of 54 km/h).
The Linz - Wels section at this moment is already built for speeds up to 230 km/h, the additionel two tracks are just to increase capacity and not speeds.

Salzburg - Straßwalchen also won't happen before 2030 due to budget constraints.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2548
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

Hey!

the journal "Todays railway Europe" quotes that two out of the four daily Paris - Barcelona TGV will be but back to run only national as Paris - Perpignan train, from October!

That's pretty sad, cutting 50% of the Paris - Barcelona trains!

What's the reason to do so?
Off-season?
Trains not popular?

I'm pretty shocked to hear those sad news. in my opinion those four trains are a great service between Paris and Barcelona :'(
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2549
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Probably both. Once September is over, the tourists flow between France and Spain
largely disappears. And given the time taken by the Paris-Barcelona TGV trip, the flight
alternative is still probably quite popular. In fact the TGV trip is already a bit out of the
efficiency zone for daily train trips. Which is is my opinion why they should not have
cancelled the night train. People that were using this train most probably went to the
air competition, not to the TGV. This means lost customers.

jonasry, trance0, eu01, parcdesprinces liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #2550
cle

Likes (Received): 524

That is a shame. I'd have thought it would be successful due to the numerous journey possibilities within the route rather than just Paris - Barcelona, which is pretty long.

Still, it's an impetus to continue improving the route at the southern end, so that it can eventually be more competitive. Do all trains need to stop at Girona and Figueres too?
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2551
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15481

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
That is a shame. I'd have thought it would be successful due to the numerous journey possibilities within the route rather than just Paris - Barcelona, which is pretty long.
Not much longer than travelling from Paris to Nice, but that's a different story.

Not so successful, when you know the facts that Spaniards are not very train-friendly, that business relationships between Spain and France are usually done via Paris (and there's the crisis, too, so people travel less abroad), and that Barcelona is rather off-centric from the rest of Spain, so many people will just avoid it since going through Barcelona means a detour.
For most of Spain, the shortest way to Paris is via Hendaye-Bordeaux.

The French aren't used to travel by train to Spain, either. Many people don't know about the new services, the "you-don't-travel-to-Spain-by-train" attitude is still rather common.

On the Spanish side, wrong perception of geography counts, too.
Many people assume that Paris is really very very far away, "in Europe", a trip that isn't worth taking by train. In fact, many people believe that Switzerland is much further away from Spain than it actually is (reality is that some intra-Spain trips from Barcelona are longer in distance than Barcelona to Geneva -some in travel time, too).

Quote:
Still, it's an impetus to continue improving the route at the southern end, so that it can eventually be more competitive.
It's not so much the southern end of the route that needs much improving, but the southern French (Languedoc) side of it, which is done through the classic line.

A (slight) improvement will be when the Nimes-Montpellier new section of the HSL will open.

Quote:
Do all trains need to stop at Girona and Figueres too?
For now, yes, absolutely. The time lost by calling there is negligible, and both stations give a reasonable number of passengers to/from France, which are best kept, otherwise the number of international passengers would drop even more.
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2552
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

What was the average price differential between this train and flying (Barcelona-Paris)? Maybe the train was just too expensive...

437.001 liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #2553
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I think it would be better to first concentrate on integrating the networks on both sides of the mountains, having a regular service on Barcelona - Perpignan, with good onward connections.
But that requires "network" thinking, something the SNCF isn't very good at, and RENFE has never heard of...

437.001 liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #2554
Sister Greed U

Anyway, I find strange that a route that connects one city of more than 10 million people (Paris), one city of more than 3 million people (Barcelona), and on the way, a mid-size city of more than 500,000 people (Montpellier), plus minor stops, plus connections, can´t produce enough passengers for more than two trains a day in low season.

There are routes in Spain and France that take more or less the same in travel time, linking less populated cities to Madrid or Paris, and which get more trains!!

I don´t discard excessively rigid planning on the side of Renfe and Sncf.

jonasry liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2555
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
There are routes in Spain and France that take more or less the same in travel time, linking less populated cities to Madrid or Paris, and which get more trains!!
Perhaps those are subsidised, but for this route they were looking to make a profit?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #2556
cle

Likes (Received): 524

437.001 - apologies if not clear, by the 'southern end of the route' I did mean the French side and the HSR and bypasses yet to come there.

From my selfish POV, I'd love a London train one day. Perhaps us Brits are more willing to sit on a train for longer - plus the London to Nimes/Montpellier/Perpignan links could attract people too! It could stop in Lille and CDG to cover those bits of demand too.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #2557
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I'd ride a train from to Seville. Or Rome. Or Berlin. Or Zurich.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #2558
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Perhaps those are subsidised, but for this route they were looking to make a profit?
No Long Distance Spanish train is subsidized.
Only regional and commuter trains are.

Can´t speak for inner France services, though, but I´d say they aren´t subsidized, either, at least not the TGVs.

So I´d say that the international services aren´t subsidized. If they lose money, it´s the services that make money that cover up for their losses.
So for instance, the money made on an AVE Madrid-Barcelona covers up for the losses of an AVE Madrid-Huesca in the section between Zaragoza and Huesca.

Quote:
437.001 - apologies if not clear, by the 'southern end of the route' I did mean the French side and the HSR and bypasses yet to come there.
Oh, don´t worry, they´re on it between Nimes and Montpellier, I´ve seen it myself.

The only thing is the section between Montpellier and Perpignan...

Let´s hope that they find the budget to build it as soon as possible, but I´m afraid it will take long.

They are also building the Atlantic side of the line, between Tours and Bordeaux, and that will be a huge improvement for the Basque Country.
And they haven´t stopped planning the Bordeaux-Toulouse HSL, which will also benefit Barcelona, as the travel time Barcelona-Bordeaux will become excellent, even with a change at Toulouse.

Quote:
From my selfish POV, I'd love a London train one day. Perhaps us Brits are more willing to sit on a train for longer - plus the London to Nimes/Montpellier/Perpignan links could attract people too! It could stop in Lille and CDG to cover those bits of demand too.
Well... if Eurostar can offer services from London to Avignon and from London to Marseilles... er... Barcelona is rather bigger than the other two, it´s not as far as that, and it has loads more population. Just saying, in case someone read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I'd ride a train from to Seville. Or Rome. Or Berlin. Or Zurich.
We´d all love trains from Mallaig to Otranto, and from Narvik to Algeciras.

Not to say from Faro to Lhasa or Hong Kong.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2559
HJD

Likes (Received): 0

Guys! Paris - Barcelona from the begining it was planned to have 2 trains off season. Only 1 thing which is missing is Geneva - Barcelona train. And Spanish people are starting to love trains. 2014 is another year when Spain have the biggest train passenger grow in Europe.
HJD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #2560
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

When talking about Eurostar trains I wondered: What happens with trains between Dublin and Belfast? They stop at every station inbetween, and those stations have no big security building there. If the British are that concearned about foreigners entering their country, why don't the put op border checks there?
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote