daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #2701
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Guys, let's keep our hats on.
1) It is true that the present xenophobic climate in European politics tends towards more, not less border control...
But at other Schengen borders they don't make everybody get off the train. They just stop the train, the border police walks through the train, looking at each passport, and then leaves again.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #2702
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yes, K, exactly. as I mentioned, it copies the system the Turkish border police employs on the train from Bulgaria to Turkey. 30 years ago the Turkish police invested into computers for passport controls. Ever since, people have to disembark at the border station, shuffle into the office, get their passport stamped, then reenter the train and wait for another officer to check that every passenger actually bothered to get the stamp. Despite the improvement in technology since, nobody ever thought that with the simple investment into some mobile equipment and making some more policemen get their a$%&es up from their soft chairs, this procedure could be reduced to 20 minutes, as is customary say on the Hungarian Schengen border. The Sofia-Istanbul train (presently suspended due to works) has a scheduled stopover of 95 minutes inbound and 75 minutes outbound for this and that is the kind of company paranoid and lazy UK border police wish to move the Eurostar into http://www.tcdd.gov.tr/home/detail/?id=233
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #2703
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 1768

Well I personally think the UK's obsession with border controls are ridiculous, and it's detrimental to the viability of high speed rail travel here. It's basically impossible to have high speed rail services at the moment from Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds or Edinburgh to the continent at the moment because everyone is required to go through border controls at St. Pancras.

It also creates problems for everyone else on the mainland who are disrupted by British border checks.

The real progress will be made when the UK joins Schengen, which I'm sure won't happen in the next twenty years. Before that, the UK must accept it is causing a problem by not co-operating with its neighbours, and deal with the consequences of it. If we can't deal with our problems here, it's our own fault frankly.

Road_UK liked this post
Leeds No.1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #2704
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26138

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...o-service.html

Thello to launch Marseille – Milano service
25 Sep 2014

EUROPE: Open access passenger operator Thello is to launch a daily service between Marseille in France and Milano in Italy with the timetable change on December 14. Announcing the new route on September 23, Thello said that intermediate stops would include Cannes, Nice, Savona and Genoa, and that it would be selling tickets for domestic journeys wholly within France or Italy.

The service to Milano would leave Marseille Saint-Charles at 15.30, departing Nice Ville at 18.09. In the reverse direction, departures would be from Milano Centrale at 15.10 and Genoa Piazza Principe at 16.56. Rolling stock would be drawn from the Frecciabianca fleet operated by Trenitalia

Bren liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #2705
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Yes, K, exactly. as I mentioned, it copies the system the Turkish border police employs on the train from Bulgaria to Turkey...
Even worse than that : first you need to queue to a first window to purchase
your visa, and then to a second one to have your passport stamped.

This of course, in the middle of the night, after having spent one hour waiting
for the Bulgarian border police to do its work at the last station (Svilengrad ?)
before the border. Makes you wonder why you paid for a bed in a sleeper for
that night.

And by the way, the same cirque occurs at the Turkish-Iranian border as well.
But at least the Iranian control takes place on board, while the train runs.
I suppose that when there were still trains from Turkey to Irak and Syria,
(will they ever re-appear ?) it was even worse...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2706
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Come 2020 I'd imagine that what you're proposing is far more realistic but you have to understand that this sort of thing is highly sensitive because of UKIP making it a big issue.

One thing that would have to make a come back is the little cell on eurostar trains which as far as I aware were removed during their last refurbishment. Their new 374s would need to cells installing too in case someone on board is found to not have the right documents etc.
I totally get your point. And ridiculously time wasting and inefficient border controls are probably rather insiginficant facing the very real prospect of the UK leaving the EU altogether with all the potential implications for the banking sector, the single market, British EU citizens living in other member states etc ... all of which is of course totally off topic here.

Still, the current system is nonsense and it tells us a lot about the world we are living in that it seems impossible to change it. So I guess we'll have to live with the serious limitations of expansion of efficient high speed rail links from London to other places, except for a chosen few and transfer connections with rather unpredictable and long transfer times.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 1st, 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #2707
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://railoutlook.com/index.php/hig...ml?channel=542

France - Spain high-speed services restart
Monday, October 06, 2014

SPAIN's infrastructure manager Adif reopened the Figueres - Barcelona high-speed line on Saturday evening, five full days after the line was closed following severe flooding in the 7km tunnel below Girona.

In cooperation with the local emergency services and the Spanish Army, around 40,000m3 of water was extracted from a 1.8km section of the tunnel, located 40m below the surface.

Adif also replaced 4km of cable used for communications and signalling, as well as 4km of electric wiring, two water extraction pumps, eight point motors, and service and emergency lighting along the whole flooded section

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #2708
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/h...-eurostar.html

UK invites interest in buying 40% stake in Eurostar
13 Oct 2014

EUROPE: The British government formally invited expressions of interest in buying its 40% stake in cross-Channel high speed train operator Eurostar International Ltd on October 13.

Potential bidders have until October 31 to respond, with the government saying its key objective is to ‘maximise value for money for the UK taxpayer, which will be achieved through a combination of value maximisation, risk transfer and enabling the continued operation of EIL.’ Subject to achieving this, the government expects to reach a definitive agreement in the first quarter of 2015. UBS Ltd has been appointed as the Treasury’s exclusive financial advisor for the sale.

French national operator SNCF which owns 55% of EIL and its Belgian counterpart SNCB which owns 5% have undertaken not to participate in the sale of the UK stake, except in accordance with their right to acquire ordinary shares at a 15% premium over the successful final bid

Old October 13th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #2709
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

So now that Eurostar finally reached the point where it became profitable, the Torries want to sell it? What a retarded move, but then again, the Torries never had the interest of the people in mind, so why would they start now.

SturmBeobachter, Swede liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #2710
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
So now that Eurostar finally reached the point where it became profitable, the Torries want to sell it? What a retarded move, but then again, the Torries never had the interest of the people in mind, so why would they start now.
Selling it when it's profitable is smart. You get more that way. What the "interest of the people" has to do with this escapes me...

WillBuild liked this post
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #2711
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Same with every privatisation though really
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Selling it when it's profitable is smart. You get more that way. What the "interest of the people" has to do with this escapes me...
The sell off isn't in the interest of the population of the UK, I imagine in a few months after its been sold we'll find out which tory members friends made £££ from the sale.

Swede liked this post
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #2712
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
What the "interest of the people" has to do with this escapes me...
Agee with you here. I don't understand why anyone cares about the sale. It's not as if it's the NHS!
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #2713
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
Agee with you here. I don't understand why anyone cares about the sale. It's not as if it's the NHS!
Because it's uet another one of our public assets (a profitable one too) which is being sold off. And for the record the NHS is pretty much being contracted and privatised so it won't be long until we have only a few state assets.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #2714
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
No, selling gets you a one time profit (just look how Royal Mail was given away way too cheap) in exchange for the loss of a constant stream of income, which in the long run is always less for a profitable company, meaning it is againt the interest of the people to sell.

Swede, jonasry liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #2715
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

Why are they switching to left Hand train operating in Europe?
Visit the New Jersey Section

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #2716
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I wouldn't mind owning some Eurostar shares, who should I contact?
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #2717
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Who is?
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #2718
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3710

Not trying to be political, but why the Torres are obsessed with privatizing everything?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #2719
K_

Quote:
No, selling gets you a one time profit (just look how Royal Mail was given away way too cheap) in exchange for the loss of a constant stream of income, which in the long run is always less for a profitable company, meaning it is againt the interest of the people to sell.
But why should the state own a company?
Old October 14th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #2720
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
What makes you come to the conclusion they are?