daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #2741
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

33Hz mentioned this news already. Here is an article about it.

Quote:
Eurostar e320 to be unveiled next month

22 Oct, 2014

Eurostar is to hold a special unveiling event at St Pancras International station next month to show off its new high-speed e320 train. The launch event on November 13 will be the train’s first public appearance since the order was first announced four years ago.

Eurostar awarded Siemens a £550 million contract to build 10 new trains for the cross-channel operator in 2010. Delivery of the new trains was delayed from 2014 to 2015 and the project faced legal opposition from Alstom, which was eventually dropped in 2012.

The new trains are intended to expand Eurostar’s international services. The current fleet does not comply with European interoperability standards and is restricted to running a service between the UK, France and Belgium. The new Eurostar e320 sets will be able to operate to Amsterdam, Cologne (Köln) and other continental destinations.

Eurostar chief executive Nicolas Petrovic said: “Over the next two years our customers will see a complete transformation of our service as we upgrade and enhance every stage of the passenger journey.

“By making a substantial investment in our fleet, we are sending a strong signal about the ambition for the business and our commitment to delivering an exceptional experience for our passengers.”

Earlier this week, Eurostar celebrated 10 consecutive years of growth, with passenger numbers and revenues continuing to rise in the third quarter of 2014.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #2742
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10898

It is scheduled presentation e320 (class 374) in London on November 13, when the 20th anniversary of the Eurostar. But it has nothing to do with the test, it's like when shown a ICE 3M in 2010, only the latter will ever make its way to itself.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #2743
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

¿Qué?
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #2744
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Scrapping?

Those sets are old enough for a mid-life revision but if given proper care then it should be possible to re-use them.

A few weeks ago I read an article abour the boom of Southeastern's high speed service from London into Kent, appearantly they are running with double sets (2x class 395) on some services to cope with demand. According to SE's train services director, "it's difficult to see how we could go any higher than this with the current fleet size".

By acquiring some of the NoL sets and giving them a major overhaul (midlife revision, interior reconfiguration), SE could free up some of their Javelins and use them for other services. Maybe to increase frequencies, to serve additional destinations, who knows...
The 373s are very power hungry units and for them to work SEs HS1 services into Kent would require them to be both regeared and the lines which they would work in Kent given bolster sub-stations because they would likely overload the third rail. When they operated GNERs white rose services no other trains could use the OHLE between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross when they were departing Kings X because of how much power they use so a 373 departing on third rail would require loads of power just to allow it to depart and other trains in the area to keep moving. Also the 373s acceleration isn't exactly set up for a stopping service in Kent. Its likely that an order for additional SE High Speed stock will be made especially as there is talk of an expansion in SEs High Speed services in Kent.

I'd have thought a more obvious home for these sets might have been to replace the ansaldo Frya units rather than used on a UK domestic stopping service.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #2745
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Sorry my bad English.
I try again.

The class 374 will be shown at St. Pancras Station in the anniversary events.
How come ?, I think it will not by itself. So far it has been testing in Germany, Belgium and France, not in the tunnel, I know. It is not approved in any of those places.

In 2010, ICE 3M kept a the same place just to teach.
Siento mi mal inglés.
Lo intento de nuevo.
El clase 374 va a ser mostrado en la estación de San Pancras dentro de los actos del aniversario.
¿Cómo llegará?, pienso que no lo hará por sí mismo. Hasta ahora ha estado haciendo pruebas en Alemania, Bélgica y Francia, no en el túnel, que yo sepa. No está homologado en ninguno de esos sitios.
En 2010 llevaron un ICE 3M al mismo sitio solo para enseñarlo.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #2746
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
The 373s are very power hungry units and for them to work SEs HS1 services into Kent would require them to be both regeared and the lines which they would work in Kent given bolster sub-stations because they would likely overload the third rail. When they operated GNERs white rose services no other trains could use the OHLE between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross when they were departing Kings X because of how much power they use so a 373 departing on third rail would require loads of power just to allow it to depart and other trains in the area to keep moving. Also the 373s acceleration isn't exactly set up for a stopping service in Kent. Its likely that an order for additional SE High Speed stock will be made especially as there is talk of an expansion in SEs High Speed services in Kent.
Aha, thank you for this insight. I was not aware that these sets are very power hungry.

Theoretically speaking, could it be possible to downtune these sets to make them more in line with the performance of other HS sets? I know that Hitachi has replaced traction equipment on other British trains in the past, perhaps this could also work on the 373 NoL sets?

Quote:
I'd have thought a more obvious home for these sets might have been to replace the ansaldo Frya units rather than used on a UK domestic stopping service.
If only.... but this would need lots of retrofitting (ETCS, ATB, crashworthiness and fire protection...)
Old October 28th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #2747
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

It does seem incredibly wasteful to scrap these trains now, rather than use them to bolster Eurostar's fleet. Even with the E320s coming online, I'm sure additional types of the original class would be welcome to bolster the fleet for new destinations such as Bordeaux and Brittany which will be possible in a couple of years.

If 14 coaches are genuinely a problem, then make 2 longer ones out of the 3 and keep some spare power cars.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #2748
Manchester77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Aha, thank you for this insight. I was not aware that these sets are very power hungry.

Theoretically speaking, could it be possible to downtune these sets to make them more in line with the performance of other HS sets? I know that Hitachi has replaced traction equipment on other British trains in the past, perhaps this could also work on the 373 NoL sets?

If only.... but this would need lots of retrofitting (ETCS, ATB, crashworthiness and fire protection...)
Probably but you'd still have the issue of their slower acceleration even with re-tractioning because the 395s have distributed motors whereas the 373s have 2 power cars which is not distributed.

Furthermore each carriage length is around 23m which is out of gauge for the southern region. Southern Region standard and in gauge is 20m Coache whence why the 395s, 375s, 465s etc. which SE operated on the southern are all made up of 20m coaches.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #2749
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26160

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Deal reached on Rail Baltica joint venture
Wednesday, October 29, 2014

AFTER years of political wrangling, plans to build a standard-gauge high-speed line linking the Baltic States with Poland reached an important milestone on October 28 when the governments of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania signed an agreement to create a joint venture company, RB Rail, to implement the project

The signing ceremony was held in the Latvian capital Riga and was attended by the transport ministers of the three states.

The three countries will each hold a 33.3% share in the new company and each state has agreed to provide RB Rail with €650,000 in start-up capital.

Construction is already underway on the first phase of Rail Baltica 1 from the Polish-Lithuanian border to a new intermodal terminal at Kaunas, which is due to be completed in 2015. The next phase of the project will extend 1435mm-gauge tracks east to the marshalling yard at Palemonas

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 06:55 PM   #2750
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:

Thello to launch Marseilles – Milan service
Monday, November 03, 2014

OPEN-ACCESS long-distance operator Thello announced on October 30 that tickets have gone on sale for its new Marseilles – Milan service, which is due to begin operating next month

The daily service will call at Nice, Monaco and Genoa and each train will be formed of 1 or two first class coaches and six or seven standard class vehicles providing a total of 450-600 seats depending on demand. Thello says the recently-refurbished rolling stock will be provided by Trenitalia.

The first Milan – Marseilles service will run on December 14, with Marseille – Milan services set to start the following day

jonasry liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2751
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

The Franco-Italian operator Thello (owned 67% by Trenitalia and Veolia Transdev 33%) announced that as of December 14 will launch a new daytime international train each way between Marseille and Milan, with multiple intermediate stops France and Italy.

Because travel times Marseille-Milano (7 h 20 m), the company has chosen to provide a local service. So he made ​​intermediate stops in France (Toulon, Les Arcs, St Raphael, Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco and Menton) and Italian (Ventimiglia, San Remo, Imperia, Diano Marina, Alassio, Albenga, Finale Ligure, Savona, Genoa , Voghera and Pavia).

The international travel has been liberalized since 2010, but this is what is called "cabotage" (domestic transport), which is permitted other than the primary object of the rail service.

The service is made by Frecciabianca trains, which can be ETR 450, ETR 460 or E414, which are the engines of the first ETR 500 but with cars Z1.

E414:
Old November 13th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2752
dimlys1994

Two news, from Rail Journal:

Quote:

Thalys set to become independent in 2015
Monday, November 10, 2014

THALYS, which operates high-speed services between Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Cologne and Essen, will become an independent company on March 31 2015 for the first time since it was set up as a purely commercial entity in 1996

Thalys is currently responsible for the commercial operation of the high-speed service linking France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany and is owned by French National Railways (SNCF) with a 62% holding, Belgian National Railways (SNCB) which owns 28%, and German Rail (DB) which has the remaining 10%. Netherlands Railways (NS), while not a shareholder, is responsible for operating the trains in the Netherlands.

From March 31 2015, DB will cease to be a shareholder although it will continue to assist with train operations in Germany, and SNCF and SNCB will become the sole shareholders with a 60:40 split

And from Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ore-e320s.html

Eurostar orders seven more e320s
13 Nov 2014

EUROPE: Marking the 20th anniversary of the launch of passenger services through the Channel Tunnel with a celebration at London St Pancras on November 13, Eurostar announced that it had signed Heads of Agreement with Siemens for seven more e320 trainsets.

On display in Platform 5 was one of the first 10 trains; nine have been completed so far and are in various stages of testing in France, Belgium, the UK and Germany. Andrew Slater, Eurostar’s International Rolling Stock Director, said that a test train had reached 230 km/h ‘last night’ on HS1 and that the test team hoped to attain 300 km/h ‘tonight’.

Eurostar expects to have five e320 sets available by December 2015, three of which will be used in commercial service on the London – Brussels and London – Paris routes. All 10 sets will be available by May 2016, said Slater, who predicted that the seven additional trains would be delivered in the second half of that year

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #2753
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Are the additional trains for service to Amsterdam?
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #2754
Manchester77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
I'd say so, it seems that the initial 10 374s which were meant for the Amsterdam services are now set to be used on the Paris runs (probably to put less pressure on the ageing 373s) so it would seem that the additional 7 units will be for the expanded Amsterdam services with the 373s feed up from 374 introduction on Paris runs used most likely to expand some services within France.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #2755
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
If this service ever materializes, probably yes. But given the current situation,
likely to remain in effect for a long time, regarding border checks with UK,
this service will either never happen or remain vastly unsuccessful. Without
a dramatic change of attitude from the UK authorities, all possibilities for E*
services beyond Paris and Brussels are doomed from the start. So what I
suspect is that the new sets will be soon the only ones to remain in service,
and all old model ones sent to the scrapyard. We will be able to see that very
soon, when we'll see - or not - the start of the refurbishment of the old sets.
What we have seen so far is just a power car repainted...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #2756
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

Wouldn't it be more feasible, in the short term, to build better facilities for UK-bound traffic in Lille, and then use Lille as a "hub" for continental services? I'm thinking a layout that allows faster turn-around than 90 minutes...
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #2757
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Impossible. It's the same as in the ferry ports in Calais and Dunkerque and at all UK international airports: the officials of the UK Border Agency are very friendly but very thorough, and if everyone has to disembark a train for UK passport checks it will take a lot of time.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2758
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Wouldn't it be more feasible, in the short term, to build better facilities for UK-bound traffic in Lille, and then use Lille as a "hub" for continental services? I'm thinking a layout that allows faster turn-around than 90 minutes...
The fact that people will have to disembark, go through a security check,
and then through a baggage scan, will be a sufficient deterrent to make the
service worthless, regardless of the time that those checks will take. And it
would not be that easy to speed this up, anyway. Think that one of those
new E* sets offers, how many ? some 900 seats, right ? Then checking and
scanning a fully booked train in one hour and a half will be quite a challenge
already : less than one minute per person with 10 parallel checking lanes...
and if there is any delay, the E* train loses its path in the channel tunnel.
Nah, it'll never happen...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2759
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
The fact that people will have to disembark, go through a security check,
and then through a baggage scan, will be a sufficient deterrent to make the
service worthless, regardless of the time that those checks will take. And it
would not be that easy to speed this up, anyway. Think that one of those
new E* sets offers, how many ? some 900 seats, right ? Then checking and
scanning a fully booked train in one hour and a half will be quite a challenge
already : less than one minute per person with 10 parallel checking lanes...
and if there is any delay, the E* train loses its path in the channel tunnel.
Nah, it'll never happen...
Another alternative is to build a far more attractive station in Lille, again optimized for cross-channel border controls, in a way that is becomes a comfortable place for all non-Bruxelles/Paris passengers to go through the border controls. In a future with many trains, it would be a convenient hub for connections, and it would justify large staffing. It would be a much better place for transfers than... Bruxelles Midi, which is a cramped station.

Else they need to renovate Bruxelles Midi urgently.
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #2760
Tawny

Likes (Received): 2

After visiting the new train yesterday and speaking to some of the project managers/directors, I can confirm the plan is to run these trains on the original routes initially but to use them to extend beyond these routes. The existing stock doesn't meet requirements to go beyond the current routes hence the purchase of the new stock. The interior/exterior of the existing stock will be refurbished to match the new stock. The trains will only get up to 200mph if they travel beyond the current routes due to the existing routes only being certified to 186mph. The new trains will roll out this time next year and Amsterdam the same time the year after. The Amsterdam route will be direct to Amsterdam and the return leg will stop at Lille for UK customs checks. Passengers will be made to disembark, pass through customs then rejoin the train. So the return leg probably wont be much quicker than it is now but the outbound will be.

The trains are fantastic inside, light, roomy and the seating is a world away from the existing trains. The best part of the tour...getting to sit in the drivers seat!

Suburbanist liked this post
Tawny no está en línea   Reply With Quote