daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #2761
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Is there no way that customs and immigration facilities can be built in Ashford and London and let Schengen be Schengen?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #2762
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Apparently not. With the excessive rules in place everyone setting a foot on British soil has to have passed the border control already, and having a foot on a train floor that runs over British tracks also counts in this regard.

Of course it would make much more sense to get a good border check system in Ashford and London so that all other destinations than the alredy established ones could use those stations with their control capabilities with strategies for shipping people directly back if they fail the controls.

I don't think that this would be technically problematic but in this current toxic xenophobic atmosphere it would be political suicide. So it is not going to happen.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #2763
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, but everyone that has entered through international airports has in a sense already set foot on British soil before being subjected to checks. I can't see why it can't be the same at international train stations, and why they have to use foreign infrastructure to carry out these checks in the first place.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #2764
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

If someone were to pull the emergency break while en-route on High Speed 1, he could use the emergency door release to get out of the train and then run off into the countryside. By the time anyone has seen what has happened, the guy has already entered the country. There are still some fences of course, but someone who is determined can surely get over them.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #2765
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Given the political situation the only feasible solution would be to sell tickets only to British destinations on these trains from Amsterdam and any intermediate stations. Then it would be appropriate to check ID and screen luggage of everyone boarding these particular trains. That could be done by Dutch/French agents, no need to involve British there.

The other option of course is to not run such trains.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2766
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I come to this thread to read something about railways all over Europe and all I see is some boring shit about Eurostar.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2767
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I come to this thread to read something about railways all over Europe and all I see is some boring shit about Eurostar.
As do I hence why I'm happy to see the discussion sparked by the press release of the 374s. I've also found out that Thayles will become independant from next year and that was only a few posts ago. If you're that unhappy about reading discussion sparked by articles unsubscribe and subscribe to threads specific to different national railways.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2768
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, Eurostar is a part of the European rail network.

@Sunfuns: That's not going to happen. Trains between the UK and the continent should be a part of the European network. And the Home Office will insist in doing the checks themselves with their technology. But I think they should do them on UK soil, and not in Schengen, seriously disrupting railtravel.

Leeds No.1 liked this post
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #2769
Sunfuns

This thread is about cross-border railways only with Eurostar being the most prominent example. If you have something else to add on other cross-border traffic go ahead.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2770
Sunfuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
@Sunfuns: That's not going to happen. Trains between the UK and the continent should be a part of the European network. And the Home Office will insist in doing the checks themselves with their technology. But I think they should do them on UK soil, and not in Schengen, seriously disrupting railtravel.
But why? When I take a plane from Basel to London my luggage is screened and my ID checked and British have no problem with that being done by Swiss agents.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #2771
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes, the Swiss are doing this on behalf of Swiss interests, not UK interests. Upon arrival in London you will still be subjected to UK immigration procedures and customs inquiries.
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:29 PM   #2772
xJamaax

Likes (Received): 2887

Eurostar looks to the future with new e320 trains
CNN

Quote:
(CNN) -- European airlines beware: Eurostar, the high-speed train company connecting London with Brussels and Paris, has just upped its game.
On Thursday, the company unveiled its new e320 train at London's St. Pancras Station. The new train will go into commercial service at the end of 2015. The e320 is named for its max speed -- 320 kilometers per hour (200 mph).
xJamaax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2773
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

I'm not normally one for scratter talk, but that is lush!
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #2774
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
If someone were to pull the emergency break while en-route on High Speed 1, he could use the emergency door release to get out of the train and then run off into the countryside. By the time anyone has seen what has happened, the guy has already entered the country. There are still some fences of course, but someone who is determined can surely get over them.
Does pulling the emergency brake on a Eurostar set still stop the train?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2775
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Given the political situation the only feasible solution would be to sell tickets only to British destinations on these trains from Amsterdam and any intermediate stations. Then it would be appropriate to check ID and screen luggage of everyone boarding these particular trains. That could be done by Dutch/French agents, no need to involve British there.
There are no facilities to screen passengers at Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerpen, where Eurostar wants to stop.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #2776
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Does pulling the emergency brake on a Eurostar set still stop the train?
I hope so! Except for when you're in a tunnel tho...
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #2777
Sunfuns

Quote:
There are no facilities to screen passengers at Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Antwerpen, where Eurostar wants to stop.
Then don't run it.
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #2778
Road_UK
BANNED

Run what?
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #2779
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
All three stations were/are being rebuilt or significantly renovated over last decade, it was a huge mistake not to include segregated set of 2 platforms for international services to/from UK, since both the Channel Tunnel and all plans for high-speed rail links all the way for Amsterdam were there, or under construction, when these stations started their major projects.
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #2780
AlexNL

1 platform would have been enough, as the screenings are relevant only for UK-bound trains and it's unlike that there will ever be more than a handful of trains per day.

The problem is twofold:
- Currently, none of the mentioned stations have enough space available for the required terminal facilities. Perhaps this could have been built when the stations were redesigned in the past, but currently that is no longer a viable option.

- The UK Home Office does not want to station more agents abroad than they do currently.