daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #2821
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
HSTs, option #3:
  • Rome -> Torino (P. Susa) by .Italo (100% high-speed)
  • Torino (P. Susa) -> Paris (Gare de Lyon) by TGV France-Italia (100% high-speed from the Lyon Airport station to Paris)
  • Paris (Nord) -> Amsterdam by Thalys (100% high-speed)
This sounds like the most comfortable option

parcdesprinces liked this post
bagus70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #2822
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslogospelchoir View Post
It would be interesting to see how many more intercountry links, involving large cities within the high speed feasible zone, have not yet been considered. I think Germany and its eastern neighbours particularly need to be looked at.
Well, there has been a gradual removal of passenger trains eastwards from Germany. Recently the service Berlin - Wroclaw was cut. A curious fact someone mentioned is that the same service in 1930s was much faster.

Night trains linking Crimea-Kiev and Berlin was also lost a few years ago. The service to Kaliningrad i reduced to summer only.

Giving the current political situation in Ukraine I do think it might be feasible to expect services from Lviv/Lvov in the near future. Some cross-border services to Poland and Hungary have already been expanded. But I think we'll see more services soon. Railway diplomacy at it's best!
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #2823
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Channel Tunnel closed and services hit after lorry fire.
Eurostar says all its services today have been cancelled and trains are returning to their original stations.

Kent Police said the fire happened at the French end of the tunnel and is being dealt with by the French authorities.

There were no reported injuries, a police spokesman said.

The spokesman said the fire had led to the closure of both tunnels, and that there are currently no trains in either. The lorry is being recovered, he added.

"Rail passengers are advised to expect significant delays whilst the vehicle is being recovered and fumes are cleared from the tunnels," the spokesman said.
Read more from the BBC News (the source).
Old January 17th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #2824
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Don't they have some sort of heat sensors like the once introduced to the Mont Blanc Tunnel after the inferno?

Last edited by KingNick; January 17th, 2015 at 08:10 PM.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #2825
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Eurotunnel, which transports vehicles and freight through the Channel Tunnel, said the alarm had been raised when two CO2 detectors were triggered.
Old January 17th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #2826
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

To scan the trucks before they get to board the train.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Bl...mont_blanc.jpg
Old January 18th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #2827
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The Channel Tunnel freight terminals do have preventative scanning equipment installed, but appearantly it failed to detect the smouldering load on this lorry. Perhaps the smouldering was not intensive enough to be picked up by the scanners?
Old January 27th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #2828
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10942

Traffic on the Eurotunnel

The Eurotunnel Group just announced a revenue growth from 7% (measured in £) to 1206.7 M €. 6% increase truck traffic, 4% cars and 2% lower in coaches. Passengers in HSR increase by 3% and tons transported in freight trains do it in, nothing less than 21%. Each train carries an average of 568 tonnes.

This term appears in the press release from the Eurotunnel Group:

Following the liquidation of SeaFrance on 9 January 2012, Eurotunnel acquired three ships from the Paris Commercial Court in July 2012 and, as a ferry owner, subcontracted the operations to an independent company, the SCOP SeaFrance. This new business, which started services on 20 August 2012, has seen its revenues grow from €7 million in 2012 to €93 million in 2014. MyFerryLink registered a strong growth of its traffic: truck (+22%) and cars (+7%). Thanks to the good quality of its service and despite legal proceedings with the UK competition authorities MyFerryLink has become a major player in the cross-Channel transport market However on 9 January 2015, the Competition Appeal Tribunal confirmed the decision of the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority to ban MyFerryLink from operating within six months, The Eurotunnel Group which has already appealed twice, has announced that it is seeking a buyer for MyFerryLink.

Rayancito, KingNick, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #2829
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10942

Talgo gauge-changer installed at Belarus-Poland border

From Railway Gazette:

"Belarus Railways has installed a Talgo automatic gauge-changer at Brest station, close the Polish border, and expects to obtain certification for it to be used by Talgo passenger trainsets during the first quarter of 2015
Installation required remodelling tracks and signalling and the installation of electrification equipment. The project is being implemented jointly by Belarusian Railways and Russian Railways, which has ordered three gauge-changing Talgo trainsets for use on Moscow – Minsk – Warszawa – Berlin services.
The wheels will be adjusted from 1.520 to 1.435 mm gauge as the trainsets move slowly through the changer, eliminating the time-consuming need to jack up coaches and swap bogies. The Talgo trains will allocated 30 min for gauge changing and border formalities, compared to 2 h at present".

The photo on the news is the base where the Talgo remain in Moscow. In this other news (in Spanish) is a picture of a Talgo changer (you have to put roof, because in Brest should do some cold) and a map with the situation.

The Moscow-Berlin materials will be three branches Talgo 9 without suitable locomotive for 200 km/h, each with 20 mixed cars (the other 4 with Russian fixed gauge for Moscow-Kiev, which finally Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod, will have 2 first, 9 tourist, 5 beds, restaurant, café and 2 generators with 414 seats).
The Talgo 9 (T9) branches are designed specifically for the Customs Union (Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus) and comply with their rules GOST.
Since December 2015 it will take 18 hours (now they are 27) between Moscow and Berlin.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:55 PM   #2830
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

I don't like this project for political reasons (won't go much off-topic, just say I'd rather have worse, not better links between Russia and Eastern Europe at this moment).

From a strictly technological POV, it is obviously a major improvement of manual change of bogies. I read it take up to 3 hours for a train to undergo all modifications in Brest.
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2831
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
From a strictly technological POV, it is obviously a major improvement of manual change of bogies. I read it take up to 3 hours for a train to undergo all modifications in Brest.
2 to 3 hours yes (was there a few years ago). It takes time because each
car of the train must be separated, so that you can change not only the
bogies, but also the couplings.

I'm glad I was able to take many pictures, if this operation disappears.

Last edited by MarcVD; January 30th, 2015 at 06:37 PM.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #2832
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
2 to 3 hours yes (was there a few years ago). It takes time because each
car of the train must be separated, so that you can change not only the
bogies, but also the couplings.

I'm glad I was able to take many pictures, if this operation disappears.
It wouldn't, not now, because only 2 trains would be replaced with Talgos, and there are much more trains around.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:59 PM   #2833
Eiropro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
From Railway Gazette:

"Belarus Railways has installed a Talgo automatic gauge-changer at Brest station, close the Polish border, and expects to obtain certification for it to be used by Talgo passenger trainsets during the first quarter of 2015
Installation required remodelling tracks and signalling and the installation of electrification equipment. The project is being implemented jointly by Belarusian Railways and Russian Railways, which has ordered three gauge-changing Talgo trainsets for use on Moscow – Minsk – Warszawa – Berlin services.
The wheels will be adjusted from 1.520 to 1.435 mm gauge as the trainsets move slowly through the changer, eliminating the time-consuming need to jack up coaches and swap bogies. The Talgo trains will allocated 30 min for gauge changing and border formalities, compared to 2 h at present".

The photo on the news is the base where the Talgo remain in Moscow. In this other news (in Spanish) is a picture of a Talgo changer (you have to put roof, because in Brest should do some cold) and a map with the situation.

The Moscow-Berlin materials will be three branches Talgo 9 without suitable locomotive for 200 km/h, each with 20 mixed cars (the other 4 with Russian fixed gauge for Moscow-Kiev, which finally Moscow-Nizhny Novgorod, will have 2 first, 9 tourist, 5 beds, restaurant, café and 2 generators with 414 seats).
The Talgo 9 (T9) branches are designed specifically for the Customs Union (Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus) and comply with their rules GOST.
Since December 2015 it will take 18 hours (now they are 27) between Moscow and Berlin.
nice news.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #2834
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

In 1968 The international trains from Copenhagen-Stockholm went by ferry through Helsingör-Helsingborg. Today they go over the Öresund bridge.

How often do you see CSD czech sleepingwaggons in northern Norway. Was there even a regular service Prague-Bodö (Norway) ?
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #2835
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

ICE train from Copenhagen on ferry Roedby, Denmark - Puttgarden, Germany.

Verso, dimlys1994, pai nosso, AlexNL, Tvilum and 3 others liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #2836
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

International trains Germany-Western Europe Booming

Deutsche Bahn claims that its border-crossing trains have seen a large increase in passengers in the past year.
The largest increase came in traffic to the Netherlands on the IC line from Berlin and the ICE line from Frankfurt, both terminating in Amsterdam (7% of a total of 2.2 million passengers). German-French border-crossing with ICE and TGV trains saw an increase of 3% to 1.88 million; passengers to Belgium on the Frankfurt-Brussels ICE increased by 1.5% to 1.77 million. See http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...verkehr-66424/ (German).
In other news, Deutsche Bahn's night trains, which the company claimed could not be operated profitable in the long run, were much more profitable than DB had claimed. While DB had justified closing down many of its international lines, claiming that overall only 1.4 million used DB night trains in 2013, the true number has now been established at 2.6 million. The company now stated that the night train service would be "redesigned", without any more concrete statement. See http://dmm.travel/news/artikel/lesen...fortsetzung/2/ (in German).

Robi_damian, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #2837
oslogospelchoir

Likes (Received): 6

I thought Germany Netherlands traffic had always struggled with cross border secondary route closures
oslogospelchoir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #2838
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslogospelchoir View Post
I thought Germany Netherlands traffic had always struggled with cross border secondary route closures
The short distance service to Bad Bentheim & Emmerich have. For both prolongatiom of the German RE to Hengelo and Arnhem is being prepared in new concessions. Nijmegen - Kleve and Roermond - Dalheim have been closed in the 80s.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:07 AM   #2839
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Arnhem - Düsseldorf is likely to start in december 2016, Hengelo - Bielefeld will follow a year later.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #2840
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
The short distance service to Bad Bentheim & Emmerich have. For both prolongatiom of the German RE to Hengelo and Arnhem is being prepared in new concessions. Nijmegen - Kleve and Roermond - Dalheim have been closed in the 80s.
Are there are long-term plans to reopen these links, like the talks to re-start passenger rail service to Hasselt (B)?