daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #2901
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I'd also like to clarify: my prediction was only about passenger services
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #2902
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Can I clarify something too?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #2903
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I'd also like to clarify: my prediction was only about passenger services
Okay. I and I believe the rest of rest of us have been referring to the train ferry technique as oppose to the types of train that use the ferry.
TedStriker está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #2904
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3605

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Yes and you have to leave it in a hurry, the conductors are quite stressed out about having the passengers to exit the train.
Maybe you were to lazy :lol

I have never witnessed such behavior from the conductors so maybe you was just unlucky.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #2905
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
To clarify: the traditional freight train ferry across the Bosporus has been closed since the beginning of Marmaray reconstruction of former rail access lines (a few years now). What only started recently and will not disappear anytime soon is freight transport across the Marmara Sea between Bandirma and Tekirdag: the Tekirdag rail link is brand new and is being used for container transports between Western Anatolia and Central Europe. Someday there might be a bridge over the Dardanelles which could prove more convenient, but this is not so soon.
Thank you.

Just a question: wasn't the Maramaray designed also to carry freight traffic at nights? Maybe the capacity isn't high enough so that a ferry is needed to carry freight trains that don't fit within the Marmaray timetable?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #2906
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

It will someday. At the moment only the underground and undersea sections are finished, i.e. 5 stations. The technically much easier part, modernizing the access routes through the city, the old suburban rail routes, is stalled, as the constructing company has failed to do more than tear everything down. Negotiations for a new company to take over are ongoing, with 2017 as the earliest date when following these delays Marmaray will be more than a mini-subway.
Nonetheless I think the Bandirma-Tekirdag rail ferries will continue, as this services the Aegean coast and for them Marmaray would be a lobg detour.

Coccodrillo liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:23 PM   #2907
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1649

Quote:
Eurostar Taps Surprise Demand on 1,235-Km London-Marseille Route

Eurostar International Ltd. said it’s seeing strong demand for seats on a new train service that will push the boundaries of long-distance rail travel from London by linking the U.K. capital directly to the Mediterranean.

Sales on the 1,235-kilometer (767-mile) route from London St. Pancras station are “off to a cracking start,” with buoyant bookings to stops at Lyon and Avignon and higher-than-than-expected interest in the full six-hour trip to Marseille, Chief Executive Officer Nicolas Petrovic said in an interview.

edit: too much quoted text deleted

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...arseille-route

m_avorreixo liked this post
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:52 PM   #2908
m_avorreixo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 144

Wow! That makes foreseeable a hypothetical train service between London and Barcelona (1,500 km, aprox). The (partially, already under construction) extension of French HSL to Prepignan would make possible such a train service with same time than current highly successful TGV service between Paris and Barcelona.

Last edited by m_avorreixo; February 21st, 2015 at 11:27 PM.
m_avorreixo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:55 PM   #2909
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_avorreixo View Post
Wow! That makes foreseeable a hypothetical train service between London and Barcelona (1,500 km, aprox). The (partially, already under construction) extension of French HSL to Prepignan would make possible such a train service with same time than current highly successful TGV service between Paris and Barcelona.
I'm a bit skeptical because London - Barcelona is a very busy and competitive air route with several carriers offering flights between both cities.

Robi_damian liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:18 AM   #2910
m_avorreixo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 144

You're right, but air route between Paris and Barcelona is also busy and competitive. Nevertheless, TGV service is a real success. Why London - Barcelona should not have its place under the sun with same travel time?
m_avorreixo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:51 AM   #2911
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9963

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac1848 View Post
Quote:
Eurostar will commence year-round operations to the French Riviera
Last time I checked, Marseille was clearly not on the French Riviera. Non mais !

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:53 AM   #2912
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm a bit skeptical because London - Barcelona is a very busy and competitive air route with several carriers offering flights between both cities.
I'm quite optimistic for the same reason.

Verso, Vignole, Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:21 AM   #2913
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_avorreixo View Post
You're right, but air route between Paris and Barcelona is also busy and competitive. Nevertheless, TGV service is a real success. Why London - Barcelona should not have its place under the sun with same travel time?
Because, for various modes and markets, research has shown attractiveness of a route is not a linear function of total travel time.

London - Barcelona by trains adds another 2h20 (southboudn) or 3h35 (northbound) to Paris-Barcelona travel time. It makes a 6h journey into a 8h30-9h30 journey.

Flying adds just another 25min at cruise altitude.

JustWatch liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM   #2914
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Because, for various modes and markets, research has shown attractiveness of a route is not a linear function of total travel time.

London - Barcelona by trains adds another 2h20 (southboudn) or 3h35 (northbound) to Paris-Barcelona travel time. It makes a 6h journey into a 8h30-9h30 journey.

Flying adds just another 25min at cruise altitude.
Time is not the only thing that matters.

I for example don't mind spending 8 hours on a train, as long as I can leave after breakfast and arrive before dinner.
And I'm not alone in this.
But the biggest obstacle here is of course the silly security theatre. That does make trains from London to other places on the continent a bit of an issue...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:22 PM   #2915
Suburbanist
on the road

If Eurostar makes Lille a good station for border procedures, and is able to speed them up, then we will see more services around. I think they could process an entire train in Lille in no more than 40 min, if they build a separate station on the fields for that specific purpose. But I wonder, if that is the case, whether Calais is not a better place to build such "border control station".
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:54 PM   #2916
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
. I think they could process an entire train in Lille in no more than 40 min, if they build a separate station on the fields for that specific purpose. But I wonder, if that is the case, whether Calais is not a better place to build such "border control station".
But why invest money to improve to a superflous requirement?

A beter strategy for Eurostar is to make the border procedure as onerous and annoying as possible, to increase the pressure to get rid of it.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM   #2917
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Concerning these border procedures, one thing is incomprehensible to me. Even travelling between EU Finland and Putin's Russia the passport control is nowadays performed entirely on board of trains.
Quote:
On board the train, each passenger is visited by four officials: a Finnish passport control officer, a Finnish customs officer, a Russian passport control officer and a Russian customs officer.

Between Vyborg and Vainikkala, the train travels in custom surveillance zone. During this period, the restaurant is closed and nobody can leave the train without permission from the relevant officers.
(source)
So, why is it possible between more and more hostile countries, but not so within the "friendly" European Union?
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:26 PM   #2918
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10911

They are doubling the capacity of Lille-Europe, so evil is done

Eurostar has just released for sale tickets to Marseille and says that they "better than expected", but if they want to be competitive farther than Paris and Brussels should make border procedures on the train, and is made in many sites.
And I ask: why do you want standardize the Velaro e320 in the tunnel and 4 others countries if travelers Marseille and Amsterdam should get off at Lille?. They should put the e320 between Lille-Europe and London and take travelers from Western Europe to Lille by TGV and Thalys. They will take the same
Están duplicando la capacidad de Lille-Europe, así que el mal ya está hecho.
Eurostar acaba de sacar a la venta los billetes a la Costa Azul y dice que van "mejor de lo esperado", pero si quieren ser competitivos a más distancia que París y Bruselas deberían hacer el control de aduanas en el tren, así se hace en muchísimos sitios.
Y pregunto: ¿para qué quieren homologar los Velaro e320 en el túnel y en otros 4 países si los viajeros de Marsella y Amsterdam deberán bajar en Lille?. Deberían poner los e320 entre Lille y Londres y llevar a los viajeros de Europa occidental hasta Lille en TGV y Thalys. Van a tardar lo mismo.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM   #2919
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Time is not the only thing that matters.

I for example don't mind spending 8 hours on a train, as long as I can leave after breakfast and arrive before dinner.
And I'm not alone in this.
Not alone, but still a bit outside mainstream. Are you perhaps afraid of flying?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #2920
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1649

There are a number of people who dislike the whole experience of flying, particularly older people. They are a minority of passengers for sure, but a minority of a large market is still sizeable. Additionally, with the travel market increasingly removing the price disparity between a return ticket vs. two singles, you can see lots of opportunities for open trips whereby passengers get the train down before picking up a flight somewhere else (there is always likely to be more destinations by plane than train). Many people in their 20s and 30s, like myself, experienced much of their adult travels like this, rather than the more typical fixed trips to one location and accommodation.

That all being said, I can't see a route down to Barcelona happening this decade. Eurostar will probably want to introduce further routes in Southern France first (Bordeaux and Montpellier are the obvious ones next), see what the impact of boarding at Lille has on demand and also wish to see the Paris-Barcelona travel time come down.
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote