daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #3141
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Read the article, it says passenger operations are stating in december.
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #3142
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Just one train arriving to the border station and not using the new 1435mm track to Kaunas at all. Congratulations!
Old October 27th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #3143
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Czech-Polish deal to improve cross-border links
Tuesday, October 27, 2015

CZECH Railways (CD) has signed an agreement with Silesian Railways (KS) to co-operate on measures to improve cross-border regional rail links between eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland

Under the deal, KS services which currently terminate at Chalupki or Wodzislaw Slaski in Poland will be extended across the border to Bohumin, providing passengers from stations in Silesia with connections to inter-city services to destinations such as Ostrava, Prague, Olomouc, and Brno. In return, CD will extend Frydek-Mistek - Ostrava - Česky Těšin services across the River Olše to the Polish town of Cieszyn

mrsmartman, eu01, :jax:, Surel liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:26 AM   #3144
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

Rumour...

Looks like the AVE Barcelona-Toulouse will not run between January and April.
Of all the Spain-France services, it's the one that carries less passengers.

If this rumour turned out to be true, I expect some kind of angry reaction in southern France, Perpignan in particular, which already has a very late first train to Barcelona, the Toulouse-Barcelona precisely (past 10:00), and which would see their first train to Barcelona turn up at the station after 11:00.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by 437.001; November 2nd, 2015 at 11:33 AM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #3145
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

More train departures Stockholm-Oslo

In a few years SJ will offer yet more departures by high-speed train between Oslo and Stockholm.

*Researches do not think this will threaten the air travel. Today there are three daily departures with express train from Oslo to Stockholm and the Swedish railway company believes several departures will attract even more travellers to take the train.

- Yes, we see a very positive development for traintravel, therefore we plan already from 2017 to add even more daily departures, confirms Åsa Larsson who is responsible for external communications at SJ, .

The express train offer is relatively new. And the new service cuts travel time significantly, from a journey time of 6 hours down to 4.5 hours on the fastest departures. This is due primarily to the fact that a new modern rolling stock is introduced that can run with increased speed.

The response from the public has been so great that swedes now have appetite for more of the Norwegian market.

The travel time will be reduced even more
Therefore SJ now announces that the efforts will continue and that the company also is looking at the possibility of shortening the travel time down even more than today:

- Travel time is of course dependent upon the railway track quality and the number of trains. In the coming years it is going to be certain that capacity improvements will be made, and it will be possible to cut travel time a little more. Already in December this year, our SJ-express trains will stop in Kongsvinger. This means that travelers with an NSB ticket can get to Oslo in 1 hour, 15 minutes, that is faster than with the NSB trains, says Åsa Larsson to Aftenposten.

The rain is no competitor
Information manager Knut Morten Johansen at SAS, which currently has the highest number of flights on the route, says the company has not noticed any weakening passenger influx after the SJ-express train offer came. Norwegian Airline communications director Lasse Sandakerveien-Nielsen says that the train must offer a significantly shorter journey before it could become a competitor to the plane.

http://www.aftenposten.no/okonomi/Sv...o-8234668.html

jonasry liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #3146
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

The Lille-Geneva TGV service will be suspended.
Old November 10th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #3147
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Why , the winter season is approaching...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #3148
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Now the longest freight corridor opens

On November 10, the longest of the nine corridors established in the European rail network opens .
The corridor runs from Stockholm / Oslo to Palermo in Sicily. The aim is to facilitate cross-border rail transport.

The corridor runs from Oslo / Stockholm to Palermo in Sicily. One of the major advantages of the corridor ScanMed RFC (Scandinavian-Mediterranean Rail Freight Corridor) is that it should be much easier to run freight trains across the national railway networks. The carrier only needs to request capacity once in the freight corridor One Stop Shop (C OSS), instead of as today, in all countries in which the goods passes.

The management of the work on the corridor consisted of representatives from the infrastructure holder in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria and Italy and led by Lars Stone Gard, Trafikverket.

- The initiative for the freight corridors is based on a EU regulation. The aim is to increase the international rail transport attractiveness and efficiency, so that the railways can increase its market share on the European transport market, says Hans Dahlberg, Head of Service Management at the Swedish Transport Administration.

http://www.trafikverket.se/om-oss/pr...-godskorridor/
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #3149
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

This thread has more of a passenger train focus than a freight train focus so I don't want to cause any upset, but I think it's worth noting that if one is thinking of intermodal trains serving the southern area of Italy, and specifically trains carrying intra-European trade, then it is, in fact, the corridor via Bologna, Ancona, Taranto, Cosenza and Lamezia that is being cleared for the carriage of 4m-high unaccompanied semi-trailers, and therefore, almost certainly, many intermodal operators will wish to expand along this corridor rather than the corridor via Naples, especially if they aim to carry traffic originating from and destined for the central and northern areas of Europe.

The long-standing function of Gioia Tauro as a container port is well known, but I suspect that once this new 4m-high corridor is ready Gioia Tauro may also serve as a hub for semi-trailer traffic, along with the likes of Bari and Ancona.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #3150
Suburbanist
on the road

How can the link be "complete" without a bridge
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #3151
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

You're not happy with just having a train ferry connection with Sicily I take it?
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 05:42 PM   #3152
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post

You're not happy with just having a train ferry connection with Sicily I take it?
No, only a bridge* will provide the mobility the inhabitants and the economy of Sicilia deserve!

*tunnel is not an option there due to depth of the strait
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #3153
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Czech-Polish deal to improve cross-border links
Tuesday, October 27, 2015

CZECH Railways (CD) has signed an agreement with Silesian Railways (KS) to co-operate on measures to improve cross-border regional rail links between eastern Czech Republic and southern Poland

Under the deal, KS services which currently terminate at Chalupki or Wodzislaw Slaski in Poland will be extended across the border to Bohumin, providing passengers from stations in Silesia with connections to inter-city services to destinations such as Ostrava, Prague, Olomouc, and Brno. In return, CD will extend Frydek-Mistek - Ostrava - Česky Těšin services across the River Olše to the Polish town of Cieszyn

From Rail Journal:
Pity they don't extend the service to Ostrava. That would make just so much more sense then ending it in Bohumin. But I guess, they would need a joint operation for this, as it would be rather lucrative.

A really interesting service could be connecting the Airports in Katowice and Ostrava - Mošnov as they both have rail stations afaik.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #3154
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, only a bridge* will provide the mobility the inhabitants and the economy of Sicilia deserve!

A floating immersed tunnel would solve that problem. It is anchored to the sea floor by cables and the sections are pre-built and floated into place before submerged. That way it doesn't have to be on the sea floor in the extreme water pressure.

Is that Strait of Messina Bridge still a possibility? They were all ready to go ahead and then some political issues stopped it because they didn't want to spend mainland money in Sicily.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #3155
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

The Depth of the Strait isn't that deep enough to rule out tunneling with modern methods..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #3156
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
A floating immersed tunnel would solve that problem. It is anchored to the sea floor by cables and the sections are pre-built and floated into place before submerged. That way it doesn't have to be on the sea floor in the extreme water pressure.

Is that Strait of Messina Bridge still a possibility? They were all ready to go ahead and then some political issues stopped it because they didn't want to spend mainland money in Sicily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Depth of the Strait isn't that deep enough to rule out tunneling with modern methods..
The Strait of Messina is 250 m (830 ft) deep -- there's probably some U/C building thread that's that high on this board somewhere. But I haven't ever heard of an undersea tunnel exceeding 500 ft (180 m?) in depth.

I agree with the idea that this would be the perfect place to test a floating tube tunnel (it isn't "immersed" on the seabed, but rather would be ballasted and held in place with guy wires). Especially if it'd be cheaper than a bridge over the strait.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #3157
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The depth itself is not a problem indeed. The length of the tunnel ramps
needed to reach that depth is the problem. At 3°, it would make almost
5000 m on each side. Plus the width of the strait itself, this is getting quite
long, and would probably not allow to join the stations of Villa San Giovanni
and Messina as a bridge could do.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 12:41 PM   #3158
Suburbanist
on the road

Geological conditions are bad for tunneling and a very active seismic fault lies there as well.
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #3159
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15448

All French borders have been closed for obvious reasons. RIP to all the victims.
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #3160
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
All French borders have been closed for obvious reasons. RIP to all the victims.
On Thalys and Eurostar websites, nothing is said of train service cancellations. Apparently, the "closed borders" are just referring to controls on people leaving the country to prevent terrorists from escaping.

Eurostar has the following advice

Quote:
Our deepest sympathy and condolences to all those affected by the tragic events in Paris this evening.
We would like to offer free exchanges to all customers who choose not to travel today. Please allow 60 minutes for check-in throughout the day if you still wish to travel and check our web site for further updates before travelling.
If you would like to exchange your ticket please call us on 03432 186 186 between the hours of 09:00 – 17:00 GMT
(note: I'm not saying passenger train traffic is the most important thing at the moment, just commenting on what I checked online)