daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #3181
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
How so?

Might that render a tunnel to Ireland feasible?
TBMd are more efficient and cheaper to build.

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #3182
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
TBMd are more efficient and cheaper to build.
My friend who works for a company that generates technology and planning for excavating mentioned that tunneling work is one-fifth of the costs compared to just 7 years ago.
Helsinki area is also a bit different with the bedrock being right on the surface and hard granite. Why larger open spaces under ground are plenty in Helsinki.

There are 100 000 Estonians living or working in Finland and the ship rally between Helsinki and Tallinn carries over 8 million passengers, 1.2 million cars every year.
All that said I'm as dubious as anybody else about the plans and it is indeed extremely early days.

ascariss, Swede liked this post
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #3183
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

I think the profit estimation is somewhat manipulated. 36 Euros for a half-hour trip? How long does the average Estonian have to work for that? How much are the ferry rides nowadays? I do see some rather empty trains running and ferries going proud, if that (or its equivalent in 10 years) will be charged.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #3184
tonttula

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
I think the profit estimation is somewhat manipulated. 36 Euros for a half-hour trip? How long does the average Estonian have to work for that? How much are the ferry rides nowadays? I do see some rather empty trains running and ferries going proud, if that (or its equivalent in 10 years) will be charged.
Quick look via mobile shows that example one way Helsinki-Tallinn via Viking Line XPRS looks to be 26 euros for late evening and 39 euros for early morning. Tallink Silja Line M/S Superstar looks to be 29-39 euros. 19 euros via Eckerö lines M/s Finlandia.

I remember there being talk that at least Viking Line was giving 30% reduction in prices in Estonia compared to Finland.
tonttula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:18 PM   #3185
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 812

Yesterday, I posted a recent travel report about the cross-border TGV Paris - Barcelona.
FRANCE | High Speed Rail

The High Speed Trains have replaced the Trenhotel night trains about 2 years ago.

The Video:

If the video cannot be loaded ->

http://youtu.be/ydpbk-qmn08

Enjoy!

KingNick, 437.001 liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #3186
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

What is the actual fate of the passenger link between Sofia and Thessaloniki? Interestingly enough, it still exists in Hafas (bahn.de) as a daily connection (IC 361 dep. Sofia at 15:20), but... one way only. Nonsense, Greek and Bulgarian railways do not mention it anywhere on their sites. Being a relict there (supposedly), does this connection have any chances to be re-introduced in the next months?
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #3187
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

I took It last year in May. Essentially two greek cars attached to a bulgarian domestic train, hauled alone over the border, and then attached to a greek IC train from Alexandropoulis for the last step into Athens. Exists in both directions of course. Was mentioned on the OSE Web site last time I checked. Took a lot of pictures, one Day I'll learn how to post them here...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

eu01 liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #3188
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

The Sofia-Salonica train has been back for quite a while. On things like this, do not trust DB's Hamas. The schedule on BDZ: http://p.bdz.bg/r/a/razpisanie-sofii...ofiia-4903.pdf

eu01 liked this post
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #3189
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
The Sofia-Salonica train has been back for quite a while. On things like this, do not trust DB's Hamas. The schedule on BDZ: http://p.bdz.bg/r/a/razpisanie-sofii...ofiia-4903.pdf
And in English on http://www.trainose.gr/en/passenger-...lway-services/
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 09:26 PM   #3190
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...completed.html

Lyon – Torino TBM completed
19 Jan 2016

EUROPE: Tunnelling is expected to get underway towards the end of this summer at Saint-Martin-la-Porte in France on the test bore for the base tunnel planned to carry a high speed line between Lyon and Torino. This will use a 12 m diameter TBM built by NFM Technologies at Le Creusot which was named ‘Federica’ on January 14.

Preparatory works for the project are being undertaken by a consortium of Spie Batignolles (30%), Eiffage (30%) and Italian contractors (40%) under a contract worth €291m. With 450 staff deployed, spending is expected to total €90m in 2016 and €100m in 2017

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

KingNick, mrsmartman, Zaz965 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #3191
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

57 km? So this tunnel will basically take forever to construct, like others of this size, right?
But its certainly good news and if you don't start building it at some point, it will never become reality.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #3192
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I think the optimistic scenario is about 10 more years.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #3193
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Despite the high cost and difficulty of the project, it looks very significant for the European high speed rail transportation. It will connect the Italian network to the French, Spanish and German ones. All four biggest Europe´s high speed rail networks will be unified. When it completed you can go on high speed train all the way from Naples to London or to Madrid or to Amsterdam etc. connecting many other important cites in-between like Barcelona, Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Basel, Frankfurt, Brussels, Stuttgart etc. to the major Italian cities like Rome, Turin, Milan and Naples. They should definitely give a boost to this construction with the help of the EE.
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 01:30 PM   #3194
Bobo90

Likes (Received): 10

It doesn't connect Italy to Germany
Bobo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #3195
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo90 View Post
It doesn't connect Italy to Germany
Neither does it to Spain. But it connects the German and the Spanish network to the Italian one via the french high-speed network. Of course Germany and Spain do not share borders with Italy.
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #3196
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
Despite the high cost and difficulty of the project, it looks very significant for the European high speed rail transportation. It will connect the Italian network to the French, Spanish and German ones. All four biggest Europe´s high speed rail networks will be unified. When it completed you can go on high speed train all the way from Naples to London or to Madrid or to Amsterdam etc. connecting many other important cites in-between like Barcelona, Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Basel, Frankfurt, Brussels, Stuttgart etc. to the major Italian cities like Rome, Turin, Milan and Naples. They should definitely give a boost to this construction with the help of the EE.
In principle you could already run high speed trains from Brussel to Milan, or London to Rome. The biggest obstacles are not the lack of infrastructure, but the lack of will to run such trains...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #3197
Bobo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickgr View Post
Neither does it to Spain. But it connects the German and the Spanish network to the Italian one via the french high-speed network. Of course Germany and Spain do not share borders with Italy.
The Lotschberg base tunnel, Gotthard base tunnel and in the future the Brenner base tunnel will be faster and shorter to every place from Italy to Germany. The relevance of this tunnel for the traffic between these countries is next to none.
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #3198
clickgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
In principle you could already run high speed trains from Brussel to Milan, or London to Rome. The biggest obstacles are not the lack of infrastructure, but the lack of will to run such trains...
How? As far as I know there is no high speed line all the way from Brussels or London to Italy. The point is not to connect for example London to Italy but to connect the Italian cities to the rest of the european network so you can create any kind of high speed service you want depending on the demand. London to Rome maybe it is not that interesting but Milan-Paris, Milan-Barcelona, Rome-Lyon etc. would be very interesting routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo90 View Post
The Lotschberg base tunnel, Gotthard base tunnel and in the future the Brenner base tunnel will be faster and shorter to every place from Italy to Germany. The relevance of this tunnel for the traffic between these countries is next to none.
I agree if they will be finished before.
Old January 20th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #3199
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

You make it sound like HS trains could not shift onto conventional rail. They do, all the time, both in France and Italy. TGV from Paris to Milan already exist. At 7 hrs, they can definitely need some additional HS routes to minimize traveling time, but one of the most avoidable hindrances to better traveling times is that TGVs are not allowed onto the HS grid in Italy and thus take an hour longer than an Italian ES (could therefore do Paris-Milan in 6, what could make a big difference to interested travelers). Do not get me wrong, I am not against the tunnel, but what use are the billions for such a project if simple technical problems of interoperability are not addressed too?

Coccodrillo liked this post
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3200
Bobo90

The etr 1000 will be able to go on the french network. then around 4 hours should be possible if this link is completed.