daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #3241
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17039

High Speed Eurostar e320 Class 374s Passing at Boxley Tunnel HS1 - 15/03/16

Visit the New Jersey Section

stingstingsting, ascariss liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #3242
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15430

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sanjin View Post
I'm trying to find information on any kind of planning for the reinstating of the connection between Zurich and Barcelona - not the Elipsos one, specifically, but anything. Would this be on anyone's list?
Forget about that. No direct link anymore, the Swiss don't want to anymore.

They now have a 100% Swiss bus line between Geneva and Barcelona, and they're winning a lot of money with it.

That's why there's no TGV Barcelona-Geneva, even though that's a historical route.
There could be one, there was about to be one, it was planned and both France and Spain were hoping for the green light, but the Swiss decided otherwise.

So you'll have to change trains at Lyon or Valence-TGV.
Lyon Part Dieu station is served by the AVE Barcelona-Lyon.
Valence-TGV station is served by the AVE Barcelona-Lyon and the TGV Paris-Barcelona.
Both stations have direct TER trains for Geneva.

Last edited by 437.001; April 18th, 2016 at 06:10 AM.
437.001 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #3243
pcrail

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Forget about that. No direct link anymore, the Swiss don't want to anymore.

They now have a 100% Swiss bus line between Geneva and Barcelona, and they're winning a lot of money with it.
.... because the bus service is much more reliable than the Elipsos was. AFAIK the Elipsos connection got bader every year. Specially in summer when the tourists want to hit the beach SNCF started its construction sites along the route and the connection was replaced by a bus service anyway w/o any reimbursement.
pcrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #3244
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5964

I still had the chance to take the night train from Zurich to Barcelona and it was great. No way that I would take a torterous bus ride instead.

Robi_damian liked this post
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #3245

Likes (Received): 1038

After years and years of speculation Eurostar announced that it will start an Amsterdam/London service in 2017.

Only 2 days after the announcement the E320 drove for the first time on Dutch soil.

Link
Old April 29th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #3246
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The first Eurostar e320 entered the Netherlands today, crossing the border at Roosendaal. It first did a little back and forth between Essen (Belgium) and Roosendaal, before continuing towards Eindhoven.

Some pictures:

Eurostar e320, Nispen by Alex van Herwijnen, on Flickr

Eurostar e320, Nispen by Alex van Herwijnen, on Flickr

Eurostar e320, Essen by Alex van Herwijnen, on Flickr

Eurostar e320, Essen by Alex van Herwijnen, on Flickr

And video footage:

mrsmartman, ascariss, AlexisMD, pai nosso liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #3247
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Why towards Eindhoven?
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #3248
thtc

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
Why towards Eindhoven?
The tracks between Eindhoven and Venlo are frequently used for testruns with new trains.
thtc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:40 PM   #3249
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10886

How many high-speed passenger in the world?

I can not find a Thread on worldwide high speed, so I'll put in this.

From the comparison between the data of Passengers, Passengers-kilometers, and services called high-speed (CRH, Frecce, ICE, KTX, TGV...) of each operator, I conclude that the data provided from operators refer to Premium services, either circulating on HSR or conventional lines.
It can be summarized this way: data from annual report operators match those of the UIC although we know that the services of those trains include sections of conventional network.

In Germany, data from the UIC and DB (Page 19) match, which means that the data are all travelers on ICE trains, either circulating on HSR or conventional lines.

The same is true in Italy, where Trenitalia (FdS) only publishes Frecce train passengers data. The Premium long distance division includes Frecciabianca trains, traveling at up to 200 km/h on high-speed lines, although most of its route is done by conventional lines; Frecciargento trains (250 km/h) alternating both types of lines, and Frecciarossa trains (300 km/h) which usually run on high-speed lines.

Or Korea, where UIC has all travelers although KTX trains running on conventional lines to a maximum of 160 km/h.

If there is any doubt, suffice this fact in France: if we divide the number of Passengers-km of the LGV Atlantique (page 7) between the number of Passengers (page 13) results the medium-haul, over the years it varies between 388 and 404 km while the maximum travel of the line is 228 km; this can only mean that TGV also account travel along conventional lines.

In this commentary (in Spanish) I explain each service and providing maps, data and sources.

Sorry for my bad English.

Suburbanist liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:45 PM   #3250
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

High-speed passengers in the world

I just put in Wikipedia (in Spanish) my collection about the number of high speed Passengers in all countries, there are the same data (in Excel format) and sources.

Passengers (millions)

Passengers-kilometers (billions)

Any clarification of the data.
Japan includes Mini-Shinkansen (130 km/h, more information for every line in your Thread). Since they are known, for Korea (more information for every line in your Thread) and China separate columns data: HS trains on any line, and HS trains which traveled on HSR (LAV in Spanish). TGV includes international traffic (Eurostar, Thalys, Alleo, Lyria and Rhealys), counting only national trains had 99.7 million Passengers and slightly less than 51 billion Passengers-km in 2012; Ouigo transported 3.6 million Passengers in 2014. Eurostar, the UIC has the Passengers-km to the end, including the European part to Paris and Brussels; however, the personal table only takes into account the path of the Eurotunnel and the part of the HS1 in service every year, as the European part is included in their countries. The Passengers-km of the Javelin trains are personal deducted from the data of Passengers; it only serves as a approach. Acela 2002 includes Metroliner. RZD includes Siemens Sapsan (250 km/h, 2,85 M Passengers in 2012 and up), Alstom Allegro (220 km/h, 0,35 M in 2012), and Talgo Strizh services (200 km/h, 1 M from 1 june 2015 to 8 april 2016); 2014 Passengers-km data is from UIC (+34% !!! add Siemens Desiro 160 km/h Lastochka services?), the 2009/2012 data is from RZD.
Spain is the most complex case, until 2008 the UIC only counted the AVE and Avant (regional service to 250 km/h on HSR) services, with trains standard gauge fixed, and did not counted the Talgo 200 and Alvia, which partially circulate on HSR thanks to its variable gauge. Since 2009 the UIC he counted all long-distance trains (LD) plus Avant (Middle Distance HS), including services that never roam HSR, although there are very few. Renfe, however, only provides data LD without Avant, although the Eurostat Transport data
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/transport/data/database
it is much worse: it is ashamed.

Well, if you have any contribution or need clarification, do not hesitate to ask.

More details:
UIC data
Shinkansen lines, Passengers and Passengers-kilometers 1987/2014 (part):

Korea, KTX Passengers and Passengers-kilometers 2004/2015:

Eurostar and Eurotunnel Passengers 1995/2015:

Spain, Renfe Passengers and Passengers-kilometers 2006/2015
Spain, Renfe Long Distance main routes 2013 2014 and 2015 (part)
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #3251
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

HS trains in the world

After my collecting data on the number of Travellers HS, will now be the HS trains.

I have compiled automotive (there is a push-pull) that circulate or can circulate at 200 km/h or more.

In each row where it says "Trenes AV", the first figure is the sum of the trains to 250 km/h or more and on your right is the total number of trains to 200-249 km/h.
The columns mean:
Series or name / Year in service/ Trains in service / Trains awarded / Number of motors (M) and cars (R) / Places / Manufacturers / Power / Max Speed / Origin and degrees of tilting / Length / Weight / Price per train.
Trains characteristics in plot it means they were bought in another country, for example: 2 German Thalys DB originally given in row Thalys in France, so missing something: to not count as French when they are owned by DB.
"Dos pisos" means two floors.
In blue the trains they are not yet completed or in service.
I just saw that in the price of railjet is not the first 1 are 12 M €.

Any aid with Chinese CRH trains would be appreciated. In the list I have put what they are known, but it has become very outdated; there is a note with news stories with the total number of trains on different dates, but lack detail.
Thanks in advance!

xalexey, Robi_damian, lMl, mrsmartman liked this post
Old May 30th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #3252
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Minor correction regarding the table above : for Belgium the Thalys model is PBKA, not
PBA. PBKA is the genuine Thalys train, while PBA are just french TGV Reseau tri-courant
redecorated with minor modifications, and are all owned by SNCF.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #3253
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

But in Belgium (Bélgica) I'm reading "PBA". It is in Germany where I put "PBKA".

Germany has 2 trains Thalys, Holland other 2 and Belgium 7, so I put that France has built 27 and only owns 15. The train missing is the 4531 that became the TGV 4551 Réseau.

Thank you anyway.

Last edited by Gusiluz; May 30th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 31st, 2016, 02:25 PM   #3254
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Two series of trains are making up the Thalys pool :

PBA (ex-réseau 3-tension) : originally 10 sets, now 9 (one returned to the French reseau pool) all owned by SNCF ;
PBKA (4-tension) : 17 sets, 7 owned by SNCB, 2 by DB, 2 by NS, and 6 by SNCF.

PBA stands for Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam and PBKA for Paris-Brussels-Köln-Amsterdam.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:08 PM   #3255
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

HS lines in the world

To complete my particular trilogy over high speed, today will set the HS lines in the world.
In each country there are three total, the first (Total) is the lines to 250 km/h or more, the second is for lines 200 and 240, and the third is the total for the UIC, which does not distinguish speeds. I updated the UIC total since September 2014 following their guidelines, thus the difference is checked (if it had updated UIC) between its parameters and mine. 21,816 is the total of HSL to 250 km/h or more.
UIC High Speed lines in the world
I started in China ordered by main lines, but that proved impossible, each line separately is in the Wikipedia.
The km of each line, whether they are two-way (normal) as if they were single track are counted; I point this out because in Turkey these days boast 1,213 km of HSL, but that's counting each track separately.

pai nosso, lMl, Rayancito liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2016, 07:35 PM   #3256
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Thanks for all the work. Corrections that spring to my eye off hand:
- Berlin-Hanover traveling time is not quite as lousy. It is 1 h 35 min.
- Halle/Leipzig-Erfurt section of Berlin-Munich has actually commenced operations at 300 kmh max.
- There are many more track sections in Germany upgraded to 200 kmh. Just take a peak at wikipedia.
- In Turkey, there is also Ankara-Sivas u/c for 250 kmh.
- Present station in Istanbul for Istanbul-Ankara is 56 km east of the old one, while downtown tracks are undergoing modernization. Therefore, travel time before/after is not really comparable.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM   #3257
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

Any indication how is gonna last the journey between Rome and Zürich on HSR now via the new Gotthard Base tunnel?
clickgr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:44 PM   #3258
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Thanks for all the work. Corrections that spring to my eye off hand:
First: thank you very much. In this way is achieved progress.
Quote:
- Berlin-Hanover traveling time is not quite as lousy. It is 1 h 35 min.
From what date ?, for a new tranche?

Quote:
Halle/Leipzig-Erfurt section of Berlin-Munich has actually commenced operations at 300 kmh max
When it opened on 12.13.2015 announced they will be 230 km/h to 2017, right ?.

Quote:
There are many more track sections in Germany upgraded to 200 kmh. Just take a peak at wikipedia.
I have grouped the sections on main lines, is there more of those 1,500 km?
I'll look in the Wiki.de because in English I do not see anything else. There a list?
Quote:
In Turkey, there is also Ankara-Sivas u/c for 250 kmh.
Yes, I grouped as an extension of the Istanbul-Ankara line

Now that I look at: how far are ads reality, Gebze-Hakali in June 2016

Quote:
Present station in Istanbul for Istanbul-Ankara is 56 km east of the old one, while downtown tracks are undergoing modernization. Therefore, travel time before/after is not really comparable.
I did not think you were that far.
3 hours and 40 minutes is the travel time between Ankara and Pendik?
583 km away how far they are they?, to Pendik?
And the 43 km less, it is only because the current station is closer, there is less distance for the new HSL?

Thanks in advance
Old June 4th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #3259
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Hanover-Berlin opened
24. Mai 1998 - the location of Berlin's central station has also changed slightly, but that should not make too much difference.
# Leipzig/Halle-Erfurt
When it opened on 12.13.2015 announced they will be 230 km/h to 2017, right ?.
# possibly, yes

I have grouped the sections on main lines, is there more of those 1,500 km?
I'll look in the Wiki.de because in English I do not see anything else. There a list?
# Yes. At https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnel...ke#Deutschland

Yes, I grouped as an extension of the Istanbul-Ankara line
I did not think you were that far.
3 hours and 40 minutes is the travel time between Ankara and Pendik?
# Yes.
583 km away how far they are they?, to Pendik?
# No. I find for the old Anatolian Railways before HSR 576 km (Istanbul Haydarpasha St. - Ankara Central St.). The HSR cuts some corners, but should be roughly the sam length. Pendik St. is 25 km east of Haydarpasha
And the 43 km less, it is only because the current station is closer, there is less distance for the new HSL?
# I have read 533 km for the present HS line, but could not find whether this is calculated from Pendik or Haydarpasha.

Gusiluz, dimlys1994 liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #3260
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Slovenia has completed electrification of the last 109 km of unelectrified railway on the Mediterranean Corridor between Spain and Ukraine.

Swede, :jax:, AlexisMD, Rayancito liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote