daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #3281
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
Just setting up an EU company is not enough, the company itself must be majority EU owned.
Isn't the majority-owner of Easyjet class A shares a Greek-British citizen?

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #3282
clickgr

Likes (Received): 139

The owner of Easyjet is Cypriot but this has nothing to do with the company which is 100% British and headquartered in London.
clickgr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #3283
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

How come then Easyjet can fly from Switzerland to various destinations both in EU and outside?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #3284
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

They have an Swiss unit and swiss reg aircraft.

Also under the current Swiss/ EU bilateral (2002), any EU airline is free to fly from the EU to anywhere in CH. CH airlines are allowed to fly to any EU city from Switzerland and between any two city pairs (after a two year delay). This sort of agreement would probably also be dependent on open borders, and might take some years to reach post brexit.

Spongabob liked this post

Last edited by suasion; June 29th, 2016 at 11:57 PM.
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #3285
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There are actually two EasyJet, although passenger don't notice the difference. I think the main company has airplanes registered in Ireland certainly for tax purposes (registration marks EI-xxx), the Swiss one in Switzerland (HB-xxx). Note that EasyJet Switzerland is not just a brand, it is a company owned also by others, not only by EasyJet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyJet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyJet_Switzerland

None of the two will be in the EU in the medium term, though...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #3286
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

They could maybe greatly expand Lille-Europe and make it a true hub for further distribution of high-speed passengers. A station optimized for faster border control procedures, with some 6 platforms on UK-bound sector and some 10-12 on continental railway links.
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:17 PM   #3287
suasion

I cant see the French allowing the border to stay on their side of the channel post Brexit

Old June 30th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #3288
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAkumana View Post
Moreover, forget about direct trains to Lyon (as happens today) or anyplace on the south of France (the planned Bordeaux direct Eurostar or the Amsterdam one) where no customs exist at the stations...
Why? There is even a direct train Moscow-Paris, and the customs isn't a problem, although on the Belarus-Poland border it must be much more complicated than on the UK-France border.

I haven't crossed this border by train - but I did in case of the Hungary-Croatia and Hungary-Romania borders. They are internal EU borders, but external Schengen borders. The control takes place on the train - on the last station before the border and on the first station after it. From what I know, the same is, for example, on Poland-Belarus and Poland-Ukraine borders.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:11 AM   #3289
suasion

Wetern European trains are trying to compete with aircraft. Extra border/ customs checks just slow the whole process down, reducing its competiveness. Plus as noone knows what any final agreement looks like or indeed when it will be implemented, no company can really make plans.

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:26 AM   #3290
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
I doubt France or Belgium will permit UK border controls in their stations if the UK does leave the EU without some sort of EEA agreement
I guess we will have to wait and see what sort of agreement or compromise we end up with.

I can't see them not permitting it though, I don't think the agreements are entirely dependent on EU membership as they have been ratified by all 3 countries. Only the immigration controls on Eurostar are in juxtaposed, there is still customs on arrival, which is usually unmanned in my experience. There have been some stories about France ripping the agreement up for the Calais ferry terminal, but I don't think we would allow a ferry to dock without checks. If France tried it we would probably move the main ferry operations to Belgium.

In reality we will (well I hope, but British politics is full of surprises) either end up not leaving the EU, or with an EEA type of agreement which would pretty much keep things as business as usual.

I don't see why it would have to go if we left though. The US has border pre-clearance in a number of places, even in the EU (two in Ireland) with standalone agreements with them. Relations would have to go quite bad for these to be scrapped, maybe if Trump gets his way the one in Abu Dhabi might have to go though.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #3291
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Just setting up an EU company is not enough, the company itself must be majority EU owned.
Isn´t the owner Greek or Cypriont? Problem solved.
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #3292
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
I guess we will have to wait and see what sort of agreement or compromise we end up with.

I can't see them not permitting it though, I don't think the agreements are entirely dependent on EU membership as they have been ratified by all 3 countries. Only the immigration controls on Eurostar are in juxtaposed, there is still customs on arrival, which is usually unmanned in my experience. There have been some stories about France ripping the agreement up for the Calais ferry terminal, but I don't think we would allow a ferry to dock without checks. If France tried it we would probably move the main ferry operations to Belgium.

In reality we will (well I hope, but British politics is full of surprises) either end up not leaving the EU, or with an EEA type of agreement which would pretty much keep things as business as usual.

I don't see why it would have to go if we left though. The US has border pre-clearance in a number of places, even in the EU (two in Ireland) with standalone agreements with them. Relations would have to go quite bad for these to be scrapped, maybe if Trump gets his way the one in Abu Dhabi might have to go though.
If Trump gets his way, nobody will be flying from Abu Dhabi to the USA (anyone from Abu Dhabi or surrounding countries, the vast majority Muslims, will be banned from entry; American Muslims banned from returning, and why would UAE or any Arab or Muslim country do business with the USA?.)

Re the train, the way they currently rationalise border controls outside Schengen is that the UK does not have a compulsory ID card system within the country, hence the need to check everyone at the border. While Schengen members do have compulsory ID checks within each country, then less urgency to check at the borders.
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #3293
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
I cant see the French allowing the border to stay on their side of the channel post Brexit
Le Touquet agreement isn't changing according to Bernard Cazeneuve of the French Ministry of the Interior. And it has as nothing to do with the EU. Its a completely separate agreement between the UK & France.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #3294
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

And then there's this, which just might render everything else meaningless:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...unlawful-eu-uk

dimlys1994 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #3295
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/s...-launched.html

Lyon – Torino tunnelling launched
25 Jul 2016

EUROPE: The 2 400 tonne TBM ‘Federica’ that is now at work on a 9 km test bore for the Lyon – Torino project was launched by Prime Minister of France Manuel Valls during a ceremony held at Saint-Martin-La Porte on July 21.

A total of 443 people are at work on the trial bore, which by more closely examining local geology in this ‘particularly delicate’ section of the route beneath the Alps will form an ‘important test’ for the main 57⋅5 km Mont Cenis base tunnel, according to project organisation Tunnel Euralpin Lyon Turin

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #3296
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Eurostar - stary i nowy / Eurostar high-speed train - old & new

Visit the New Jersey Section

pjm0512, dimlys1994, ascariss liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #3297
Nexis
Dark Wolf

TGV, Eurostar, Thalys at Stratford International and in France!

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 12th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #3298
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old August 12th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #3299
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

youtube links/inserts not working

could you please post the URL?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #3300
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
youtube links/inserts not working

could you please post the URL?
What web browser are you using? I'm using Google Chrome 52.0.2743.116 m (the current public release version) and was able to see the very nice videos of those trains with no problems.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote