daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #3341
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
One thing almost all so-called "anti terrorism" measures have in common is that they do not work. They do not work, because they are not required to work. "effective" is never a requirement.

None of the extra security measures that have been taken since 9/11 would have prevented 9/11. (They however have already killed at least 150 people).

There is no way in which this PNR requirement can be implemented. That will not prevent authorities from trying, and claiming that they are doing something for the public's safety.
Indeed everything they have done so far at Midi is an ineffective joke. Inconveniencing real passengers while plenty of loopholes to let the terrorists through. But there are usually 5 camouflaged armoured personnel carriers parked outside so that's ok.

When I was there earlier in the summer there were literally no police around the back entrance checkpoint (couloir sud). When I walked across the road to the new Thalys lounge they were all sitting in there drinking coffee. You couldn't make it up.

Trouble is this time the responsibility will be passed over to the operators, so the authorities can crack the whip on them and I fear we will see the likes of DB just say to hell with it.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #3342
dougdoug

Likes (Received): 2631

Gare du Nord, Paris

in the refurbished eurostar in gare du Nord Paris

St Pancras London

Old October 1st, 2016, 09:13 PM   #3343
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Izy, the low-cost train by Thalys

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:34 PM   #3344
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Russian railways to introduce new Moscow-Berlin service

Russian Railways (RZD) is to begin operating a new Moscow to Berlin service in December using variable gauge Talgo trainsets.

At 13:05 on December 17, the new service will leave Moscow for Berlin, arriving 20 hours 14 minutes later. This is four-and-a-half hours faster than the current through service, the Moscow to Paris train.

Initially the service will run on Saturdays and Sundays. The return journey from Berlin leaves at 18:50 and runs on Sundays and Mondays.

The trains have 18 passenger coaches (5 x 2nd class sleepers, 4 x 1st class sleepers, 5 x VIP class with showers and baths, 2 x 1st class seating cars, a buffet and dining car) plus end coaches which have generator sets to power the coaches.

RZD has acquired three trainsets from Patentes Talgo SL for this service. These are articulated 200 km/h coaches with passive tilt. The single axle between each coach has independently rotating wheels and variable-gauge running gear. This enables the train’s gauge to be changed from Russian (1520 mm) to standard (1435 mm) gauge in 20 minutes. It takes at least an hour to change bogies on a conventional train.

rheintram liked this post
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:25 PM   #3345
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Yeah, nice trains. But while one may save time between Berlin and Moscow, it must be said that the Paris-Moscow services have been reduced from 3 to 1 a week. I do not understand why the Talgo is not allowed to run to Paris?
Also the dates of departure apparently do not make sense (on two consecutive days, then 5 days no train) and to run the trains as twenty wagon coaches seems a bit wishful thinking. RZD we have heard must save money, but I do not know if this is the way to go about it.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 02:16 AM   #3346
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

RZD has acquired three trainsets from Patentes Talgo SL for this service. These are articulated 200 km/h coaches with passive tilt. The single axle between each coach has independently rotating wheels and variable-gauge running gear. This enables the train’s gauge to be changed from Russian (1520 mm) to standard (1435 mm) gauge in 20 minutes. It takes at least an hour to change bogies on a conventional train.

While 20 minutes is faster, I was under the impression that such bogie changes could be made "on the fly" thereby negating any dwell time for passengers. I understand the following video is of a high speed trainset but aren't they using Talgo coaches too?

Surel liked this post
stingstingsting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3347
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I suspect a loco change is involved as well.
Old November 1st, 2016, 08:10 PM   #3348
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

What current does Russia use?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:45 AM   #3349
suasion

Likes (Received): 1853

gauge may be a bigger issue than current.

20 mins is OK, you get that on the Berlin Amsterdam train, its a good chance to stretch the legs, smokers appreciate it and sometimes the shop is open at the station. I don't get upset about it on a 5 hour journey, I don't think anyone will mind it too much on a 20 hour trip.
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:56 AM   #3350
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What current does Russia use?
3 kV = and 25 kV 50Hz.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:04 AM   #3351
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I suspect a loco change is involved as well.
Yes of course. None of the rail networks involved own locos that can adapt their axle width. On the Moscow to Berlin trip, the 1520 loco will be detached, then the Talgo rake will go through the gauge changer (either pushed or on its own like in Spain), and then a 1435 loco will be attached.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

stingstingsting liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #3352
Stratford

Likes (Received): 35

Class 373 Eurostar heading for scrap
Stratford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #3353
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Oh my!

I would have thought that they would be able to use them on some new routes, like heavy schedules from Paris to Brussels. Or maybe refit them with bigger seats and run Paris to Barcelona/Madrid.

They can't really be THAT worn out, can they?

Such a sad end for such historic equipment. Hopefully, at least one full set will be preserved.
Old November 9th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #3354
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Oh my!

I would have thought that they would be able to use them on some new routes, like heavy schedules from Paris to Brussels. Or maybe refit them with bigger seats and run Paris to Barcelona/Madrid.

They can't really be THAT worn out, can they?

Such a sad end for such historic equipment. Hopefully, at least one full set will be preserved.
I travelled to Lille earlier on this year via Eurostar and the inside of the carriages were very worn and would probably need a complete refit. In fact, they hadn't changed that much from when I first used Eurostar to go to Brussels in 2005.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #3355
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The Eurostar e320 sets are more than 20 years old and have been used extensively throughout the years. By running at speeds of up to 300 kph, and traversing the warm channel tunnel (even if it's snowing outside), the units have received quite a battering.

A heavy refurbishment is required, but Eurostar decided that replacement of the majority of the fleet is a better investment than an overhaul. A few TGV-TMST units will be retained, but the majority of services will be replaced with the newer - and bigger (150 seats more) - Velaro fleet. The additional capacity allows Eurostar to sell more tickets (and thus increase their revenue) without having to run additional trains.

The National Railway Museum in York has received a Eurostar powercar. They probably won't preserve a full set... where are you going to leave 400 meters of train?
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #3356
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Oslo-Stockholm will take one more hour in 2017

Today, the fastest journey with X2000 between Oslo and Stockholm takes 4:30 h.

With the new timetable in 2017 the journey will take at least 5 h, some trains even 5:30 h! There will be more departures, but longer trips between Oslo and Stockholm from 2017.

The reason for slowing down the trains is single-track passages on double-track. About 50% of the distance Oslo-Stockholm has single-track.
The additional 30 minutes is spent on the single-track between Charlottenberg and Laxå.

In the new time-table, the train has to stop several times to let other trains pass. This adds extra time to the timetable.
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #3357
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Are there plans to improve that route, at least? Else, travelling via Gothenburg might seem attractive!
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #3358
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are there plans to improve that route, at least? Else, travelling via Gothenburg might seem attractive!
Yes. The Company Oslo-Stockholm AB 2:55 is working together with the local authorities in that area to finance construction of double tracks on the route Karlstad-Kristinehamn.

The problem is Norwegian national politics, which most often prioritize domestic infrastucture over international connections.

There is only one real obstacle for highspeed trains between Oslo and Stockholm: Norwegian and Swedish top politicians.
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:51 PM   #3359
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I am assuming that they plan to get the travel time down to two hours and fifty-five minutes? That will make the trip superior to air travel, which in turn will lead to explosive growth in traffic.

What needs to be done in order to achieve such travel times? Is the existing alignment straight enough? Do they need new tunnels to bypass curves? Are new signals needed? What about grade separation?

Or do they just need to add a lot of double-tracking within existing alignments?

idejukauss09 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #3360
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Oslo-Stockholm is 416 km in a straight line, so 2:55 would correspond to a sustained speed of 143 km per hour along such a line. That's quite feasible, but the current line is anything but straight. It is meandering, single-tracked and in poor condition.

This project would certainly include Nobelbanan, a connection between (Karlstad-)Kristinehamn and Örebro, but to really get speed a new direct line across the border would be necessary, preferably starting at Ski-Mysen and then either Arvika-Karlstad or Årjäng-Karlstad. That would cost a pretty penny, but would be straight through empty forests, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I made a map a good while ago.

stingstingsting liked this post
:jax: está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote