daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:11 PM   #3381
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

Do the figures compare point to point traffic or include connecting traffic?
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #3382
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10911

It is point to point: it compares with aviation; airport to airport.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #3383
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post

It is interesting to compare 35% of the train on the Rome-Milan route in 2004 (with a journey of 238 minutes) with the current 73%, thanks to 170 minutes (little more than an hour of cut, 33%) and to NTV competition.
I think the attractiveness of train for the would-be passengers is not linear. There is a tipping point that makes high-speed trains attractive. When that point is crossed, trains increase frequency and air service is dropped (Köln-Frankfurt) or substantially reduced (Bruxelles-Paris).

In the case of Italian routes, there was not only the time savings, but also increased reliability when the new lines finally opened. The classical line Milano - Bologna used to be a bottleneck, the sort of place where couple delayed trains cascaded delays all over. Bologna-Firenze was also congested, even though it was already a 'direct' line (Bologna is the busiest Italian train station in terms of train movements)

The new train schedule makes it possible one-day return trips on a very competitive schedule with planes. As a result, the "air shuttle" between both cities was reduced. New security measures introduced at airports also made another dent on business traffic.
Old December 25th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #3384
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

RZD Talgo Moscow-Berlin

The issue was already covered in the Threads of Germany and Russia (also because of me, sorry) when it should have been put here. I will summarize.

Russian Railways Moscow – Minsk – Warszawa – Berlin Talgo Strizh (Swift) brand service December 17 from Moscow’s Kursk station and from Berlin Ostbahnhof the following day.
The three Talgo compositions will initially operate twice a week, departing from Moscow at 13.05 on Saturdays and Sundays and arriving in Berlin at 07.19 local time. The return trains will depart from Berlin Ostbahnhof at 18.50 on Sundays and Mondays, reaching Moscow at 17.25 the following day. Journey time from Moscow to Berlin will be cut by 4 h 45 min to 20 h 14 min, while the eastbound timing of 20 h 35 min will be 5 h 21 min faster than the current service.

The reduction of the travel time is due to the fact that it is no longer necessary to change the bogies of the wagons, these trains are variable gauge (standard / russian) in a gauge changer in Brest (Belarus) at a speed of 15 km/h.

The "rodales" Talgo technology (not boogies are, no axes, they are independent wheels).

The rodales incorporate a new system gauge change different from that used for the last 47 years in Spain, in order to prevent ice from impeding the operation of the mechanism, heated air is released from the passenger compartment.

They are towed by a Russian locomotive to Brest and a Polish one to Berlin, but if RZD had wished, they could have contracted locomotives of variable width so that the train did not even need to stop.

The other reason is the "Pendular by Talgo" (not tilting, cars are not inclined supported by the boogies but hanging: like a pendulum), which makes them circulate at greater speed by curve with the same comfort.
Unlike the pivoting of, for example, the italian Pendolino, the Pendular by Talgo does not need any mechanism because the car body hangs from the ceiling:

Operates at top speeds of 200 km/h (an average of 92 km/h), the 20-vehicle locomotive-hauled trainsets are formed of 17 passenger coaches, a dining car and two technical cars. Offering a mix of first and second class seats and two-berth sleeping compartments, each train has a total capacity of 414 passengers.
Composition:
2 railway wagons - VIP-class (5 double VIP-coupe, equipped with a shower and toilet)
3 railway wagons - VIP-class (2 double VIP-coupe, equipped with a shower and bath + coupe for people with disabilities)
4 railway wagons - first class (6 coupes - 12 seats)
2 railway wagons - "seats", First Class
5 Railway wagon - second class sleeping cars (4 quad coupe
+ 1 coupe (two-seater)
1 railway wagons - restaurant.
1 railway wagons - "Bistro".
2 railway wagons - Technical.

Produced by the company - Patentes Talgo S.L.
Old December 26th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #3385
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Is it me or are the interiors of this train à bit 'clinically cold' ? It makes me believe I'm in a sci-fi movie décor...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

mrsmartman, 3737, aiciulian, Greg95100 liked this post
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #3386
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Is it me or are the interiors of this train à bit 'clinically cold' ? It makes me believe I'm in a sci-fi movie décor...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
As I said earlier, it feels more like the kind of temporary container housing that they put up after major natural disasters for displaced residents.

As for the "clinically cold" part - it's probably just the lighting. It seems a bit harsh, especially for a sleeper train...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #3387
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Thankfully, train compartments are quite rare theses days. The normal ones (for daytime trains) are already bad when full, it forces people in front of you into your personal space. These for night travel are worse, just small windows and too-close-for-comfort seats.

I never understood why some people say train travel was much better when long-distance trains were mostly all arranged in compartments.

naruciakk liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #3388
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

compartments are cozy, convenient, and fun

And an overnight train enables full working days at both ends of the trip.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #3389
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The French region of Occitania (formed out of the Languedoc-Roussillon and Midi-Pyrenées regions) has succeeded in getting the overnight train from Paris to Port-Bou (Spain) reinstated. This train was suspended when the 2017 timetable came into force, as it was severely loss-making.

https://www.change.org/p/ouiautraindenuit/u/18882974

jonasry liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #3390
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
compartments are cozy, convenient, and fun

And an overnight train enables full working days at both ends of the trip.
Erm not exactly. Here's a draft timetable I found in the Russia thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orel2016 View Post
Поезд идет быстрее чем раньше примерно на 5 часов.
Проект расписания. Если есть ошибки в тексте на немецком языке, буду благодарен за совет.

The train goes faster than before for about 5 hours.
The draft schedule. If there are errors in the German text, I would be grateful for advice.

Leaving Berlin at dinnertime day 1, you'll get into Moscow just in time for dinner on Day 2.

Going the other way, though, you might have a point, since the southbound train departs Moscow lunchtime day 1 and you'll reach Berlin for breakfast the next day.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

mrsmartman liked this post
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #3391
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Perhaps there's some waste in this particular case, but there are many examples throughout the world's history. The Hokutosei, the 20th Century Limited, and many others provided just this service.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #3392
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

The old Amsterdam Zurich CNL used to get me into Basel bang on time for work on a Monday morning. The Munich train also arrived at a perfect time the one time I used it.
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:26 PM   #3393
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Ukrainian railways have extended one of their train so that now it goes from Przemyśl in Poland near the Polish-Ukrainian border through Lviv to Kiev.

At the trans-border section, it turned out to be a success. Relatively low prices and short travel time (no need to change the gauge since the 1520 mm tracks reach Przemyśl) made many people using, up to now, the combined connection with local buses Przemyśl-Medyka and Shegini-Lviv and crossing the border on foot (up to now - the cheapest and the fastest option, although with little comfort), or bus connections (long waiting time at the border and higher ticket price) choose the train.

The price from Przemyśl to Lviv at PKP is 7,10 euro. From Przemyśl to Kiev - 13,40 euro. The train departs from Przemyśl at 14:26, reaches Lviv at 17:17, Kiev at 22:33.

The return train leaves Kiev at 6:45, Lviv at 12:17 and reaches Przemyśl at 13:25.

The connection is operated using modern Hyundai Rotem multiple units.

Report in the local news of Polish state TV:

Translation of that news report:

Quote:
A new train connection from Przemyśl to Kiev started today. The trains are modern and the speed is 160 km/h. It makes the whole ride from Przemyśl to the capital of Ukraine last not even 8 hours. In addition, we avoid long queues at the border. The new connection is an effect of cooperation between PKP Intercity and Ukrainian railways.

So the first Kiev-Przemyśl train has arrived at the Przemyśl main station. The date of the first ride is not accidental - it was chosen so as to make the travel to family for Christmas easier. Tatiana, from the distant city of Sumy in north-east Ukraine, keenly used this opportunity:

"For me, it's a nice connection, it makes possible to get home quickly and in comfort."

Up to now, in order to travel 1000 km home, Tatiana needed 2 days. Now it's twice faster. But what makes the passenger most happy is the border control without having to leave the train, during the ride:

"We use so called mobile border check terminals. The officers approach the travelers inside the train and the travelers are checked in warm, comfortable conditions."

"When there was no train, we had to wait at the border, for example, 2 hours, riding on a bus from Lviv to Przemyśl. Now we can board a train and ride 2 hours without waiting at the border."

The new train, one of 10 bought by Ukrainian railways for the Euro 2012, reaches the speed of 160 km/h. Thanks to this, the travel from Przemyśl to Kiev takes about 7.5 hours. Those, who are still not convinced, the ticket prices will convince:

"The management of the Ukrainian railways decided about a special price offer. Thanks to it, the train ticket costs only 27 PLN from Lviv to Przemyśl in the second class and less than 70 PLN to Kiev."

The PKP Intercity counts on that the passengers from Ukraine will change to other trains of the company in Przemyśl:

"Arrival of the train in Przemyśl doesn't mean the end of the journey. In an hour, the "Wyspiański" train of PKP Intercity to Wrocław through Kraków departs. In Kraków, there is a possibility to change to a train to anywhere in Poland."

The new connection is supposed to increase the touristic traffic too - in both directions.

"To Lviv - it's a must! It's a beautiful city, I recommend it."

The train will go once a day: from Przemyśl at 14:26. It can take up to 600 persons.
So the border control looks like - it's fully inside the train:

Last edited by Kpc21; December 31st, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #3394
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

On Monday night I had the dubious pleasure of travelling back from Paris by Eurostar. I'd already received an SMS in the morning telling customers to check in 1 hour early and luckily I'd been unable to book a train that was <1 hour from my incoming connection.

However, turning up 1 hour early I was greeted with a massive crowd of people snaking around the whole lower concourse of Gare du Nord. That was probably just the Brits because everyone else seemed to be barging to the front.

I found one member of Eurostar staff who had no clue and couldn't help with access to the Business Premier check in.

There was one member of Eurostar staff with a handheld speaker (not a megaphone but something the size of a mobile phone) trying to organise people, but he could not be heard more than a few metres away.

After more than 2 hours I eventually made it upstairs to be greeted by more queues. The source of the problem? Only a few UK passport booths open. The train left 1.5 hours late because in addition to this delay, staff then had to kick out all the people who got on our train but were booked on the later train. There was no checking whatsoever after the x-ray machines to stop jokers doing this. To top it off, it was announced the buffet cars were out of hot food and drinks before we'd even passed Saint Denis. I just made a connection getting me home at 1 AM but anyone on the later trains with onward journeys was probably going to have to stay in London for the night.

The only response Eurostar could give was that it was a really busy day for travelers, but this is absolutely pathetic. The trains were booked up long before Christmas (as evidenced by not being able to get the one I wanted and only a few seats left on the next one) and yet there are not enough passport booths open, no crowd control to speak of and staff were totally ill-equipped to manage the situation.

This is the third such incident I have had were a train has left late due to check in delays, but it is by far the worst. The days of the reliable 10 minute check in are long gone. I can understand delays caused by bad weather, a technical breakdown or even illegal immigrants trying to get through the Channel Tunnel, but this is a totally artificial situation that is completely unnecessary. I am due another Carte Blanche in the next few weeks but I can see it being my last now. Eurostar can no longer be relied on for anything involving multiple legs.

p.s. the e320 interiors are still a poor relation to the DB class 407 Velaro D, which I had the opportunity to compare immediately before.

Swede liked this post
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #3395
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

A Polish Pendolino train in Germany:

http://www.rynek-kolejowy.pl/wiadomo...ilm-79709.html

It has been sent there for tests, in order for it to get a homologation in Germany, so that it will be possible to use them on the route to Berlin in the future.

Currently, the Pendolino trains operate the main north-west line in Poland, the Central Railway Bus (CMK) line, which has a 90 km section, on which the trains can reach the speed of 200 km/h. On the main east-west line, from Warsaw to Poznań and further to Berlin, the maximum speed is 160 km/h.
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #3396
Autostädter

Likes (Received): 995

^ Cool, I hoped they would introduce the pendolino on this relation at some point. Hopefully, the Warsaw-Poznań Line will be upgraded for 200 km/h in the future, too.
Autostädter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #3397
ascariss

Likes (Received): 62

Even if the tests are successful and germany gives the polish pendolino homologation, it is still up to the EU whether the trains can run regular service outside poland because the financial help PKP received from the EU to buy the trains stipulated that the trains can't operate outside poland for 10 years. So the earliest this can happen is 2025 without EU approval, but perhaps PKP will try to get approval from the EU to run the trains outside of poland before the 10 years are up.

I am not sure of the status of the line form Poznan to berlin, I don't think I went faster than 160 on it in 2014 but upgrading it to 200 while nice would/could take ages if we use the E65 (warsaw-gdansk) route as an example of upgrading. As for the route from Poznan to Warsaw, I have no idea of the average speed currently and upgrading it to 200 might be not the best use of funds.

It would be fantastic to see a high speed route (300km) from Warsaw-Poznan-Berlin but doubt that will happen in the next 10 years even.

Personally would love to see a high speed line from Gdansk to Poznan and then onto berlin. If not high speed, then at least 160-200km/h average speed for the entire line.
ascariss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #3398
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascariss View Post
As for the route from Poznan to Warsaw, I have no idea of the average speed currently and upgrading it to 200 might be not the best use of funds.
You are probably right, nevertheless the upgrading (not to 200, unfortunately) will start as soon as June this year. All trains on route between Poznan and Warsaw will have a detour via Gniezno and Inowrocław Rąbinek, losing on travel time over 30 min each way.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #3399
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=537

Work begins on Emmerich - Oberhausen upgrade
Monday, January 23, 2017

CONSTRUCTION began on a €1.5bn project to upgrade a key rail freight link between the Netherlands and Germany on January 20, when North Rhine Westphalia state transport minister Mr Michael Goschek, Mr Enak Ferlemann, parliamentary state secretary of the German Ministry of Transport, and German Rail (DB) board member for infrastructure Mr Ronald Pofalla officially launched the expansion and modernisation of the 73km Emmerich - Oberhausen line

The project involves the construction of a third track, modification or renewal of 47 of the line’s 53 bridges, and the elimination of 53 level crossings. The line will be resignalled with shorter block sections to increase capacity and noise mitigation measures will be implemented to reduce the impact of frequent heavy freight trains on communities near the line

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Silly_Walks, TedStriker, Autostädter liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #3400
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Eurotunnel 2016 traffic

http://www.eurotunnelgroup.com/uk/media/press-releases/index/

mrsmartman liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote