daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #3501
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

[TERRY87392] Trains Sncf 2016/2017 - TGV, RER, TER, Intercités, Ouigo, Thalys, Eurostar, Izy

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #3502
JumpUp

Likes (Received): 45

The new Eurostar Amsterdam - London:
How and where will it stop in Brussels?
The eurostar platform is only accesible from trains coming from London/Paris, but not from direction Amsterdam.

Or will they change directions?
Other possibility is that those ES take a different (but longer route) around Brussels.

Or do those ES simply use the Thalys platforms in Brussel?
JumpUp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #3503
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpUp View Post
The new Eurostar Amsterdam - London:
How and where will it stop in Brussels?
The eurostar platform is only accesible from trains coming from London/Paris, but not from direction Amsterdam.

Or will they change directions?
Other possibility is that those ES take a different (but longer route) around Brussels.

Or do those ES simply use the Thalys platforms in Brussel?
From what we know we can assume that the Amsterdam-bound trains will most likely use the same tracks as the Thalys services do. The Pancras-bound services though will probably be diverted via the Westring (spoorlijn 28) to approach Brussel Zuid form the south in order to reach its segregated Eurostar tracks in one go. Trains will then change direction and head for England as usual.
Old June 9th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #3504
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
From what we know we can assume that the Amsterdam-bound trains will most likely use the same tracks as the Thalys services do. The Pancras-bound services though will probably be diverted via the Westring (spoorlijn 28) to approach Brussel Zuid form the south in order to reach its segregated Eurostar tracks in one go. Trains will then change direction and head for England as usual.
I wouldn't be surprised if they make the trains go via the Westring in both directions. Otherwise they end up with train formations being reversed on alternating days...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #3505
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Apparently the plans to use line 28 have been dropped. There are rumors that London bound Eurostar would use track 3 which has a platform on both sides, one being adjacent to the Eurostar terminal. This platform is currently not used. It seems that it would not be too complicated to adapt it.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #3506
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they make the trains go via the Westring in both directions. Otherwise they end up with train formations being reversed on alternating days...
One could mitigate this problem by turning the trains in Amsterdam as well. That would require to make a loop turn around the whole town including a passage through the yard at Watergraafsmeer. I don't know how feasible this is, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Apparently the plans to use line 28 have been dropped. There are rumors that London bound Eurostar would use track 3 which has a platform on both sides, one being adjacent to the Eurostar terminal. This platform is currently not used. It seems that it would not be too complicated to adapt it.
That would make things certainly easier. But it would imply a new fence and probably consequences for the track layout at the southern end of the station as well. I'm not sure whether this could still be done by December.

mrsmartman liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #3507
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10942

SNCB does not expect DB to run to London. Railway Gazette.

Quote:
Deutsche Bahn has effectively deferred its high-profile plan to run direct high speed trains between Germany and London. Reports in the French press last week had quoted Birgit Bohle, Managing Director of DB Fernverkehr, suggesting that the German operator had no desire to compete directly with its French counterpart SNCF on international routes.

On June 13, Peter Geyssens, Manager for International Sales & Marketing at Belgian national operator SNCB, told Railway Gazette that it was ‘also his understanding’ that no DB trains would run from Brussels to London or Paris Nord for ‘at least five years’ and probably longer. SNCB sells tickets for both DB and SNCF via its B Europe website and other channels.
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 04:59 AM   #3508
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

ICE high-speed trains in France (DB class 406 & 407)

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #3509
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Copenhagen-Hamburg train delayed 63 minutes

I travelled on the IC train Copenhagen-Lubeck this monday, the air condition didnt work, but besides that everything went well untill the train exited the ferry in Puttgarden.

We waited about 40 minutes without any information about what had happened.
Then the staff told us that the train had to go back to Denmark due to technical problems.

Another IC-dieseltrain arrived so we could continue into Germany.

The train arrived in Lubeck 63 minutes late. Many passengers missed their connections in Hamburg.

Last edited by NordikNerd; June 24th, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #3510
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

The rebirth of the Bosfor Express Bucharest - Istanbul:
Since June 2 2016 the through cars Bucharest - Istanbul are running again. Albeit, the train terminates at Halkali station in a wasteland. The sleeping car is provided by CFR Calatori and the couchette car by Turkish TCDD.

Tickets and reservations were issued by Deutsche Bahn. That might have been twice as expensive, though, I didn't have to take care in buying last-minute in Bucharest.

Bucuresti Gara de Nord:

Analogue departure board with our train listed at 12h45 to Sofia:

EuroNight Dacia to Vienna:

Bosfor Express in Bucuresti Nord:

Inside the Romanian Sleeping Car:

Deluxe Sleeping Car cabin at day and night:

Videle, Romania:

Heavy thunderstorm at Giurgiu Nord, the Romanian Border Town:

Crossing the Danube Friendship Bridge (which marks the border between Romania and Bulgaria), opened in 1954:

Arriving in Ruse, the Bulgarian Border Town:

The Turkish TCDD Couchette Car in Ruse:

Northern Bulgaria near the Danube River:

Romanian CFR seating car (Bucharest - Sofia):

Bulgarian BDZ seating car (Bucharest - Sofia):

A 90-minute break in Gorna Oryahovica:

Bosfor Express at Gorna Oryahovica:

Crossing the Balkan Mountain Range between Gorna and Dimitrovgrad at Nightfall:

At Svilengrad - Bulgarian Border Town:

At Kapikule - Turkish Border Town:

Edirne:

Turkish Couchette Cabin at Night:

Aisle at Day:

Sunrise in Turkish Trakya:

Turkish Locomotive by Hyundai-Rotem:

Arrival at Istanbul Halkali:

Turkish TCDD Sleeping Car Sofia - Halkali:

Bulgarian TCDD Couchette Car Sofia - Halkali:

Here is the full video report:

Enjoy!

Verso, Vignole, lMl, Babenhausen Süd, cle liked this post

Last edited by doc7austin; June 25th, 2017 at 10:59 PM.
doc7austin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #3511
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
Why does it say Istanbul–Sofia when it's a train from Bucharest to Istanbul?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #3512
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

The signpost also says Bucuresti below.
doc7austin está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #3513
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6795

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
I travelled on the IC train Copenhagen-Lubeck this monday, the air condition didnt work, but besides that everything went well untill the train exited the ferry in Puttgarden.
Is a 60 minute delay such an unusual situation in international train travels?

Many international trains enter Poland already with a delay.

Talking about the connections, in Germany you can normally take the next train when you miss yours due to a delay. Which is, by the way, a legal rule which applies in the whole EU. And the train connections in Germany are frequent, so it shouldn't be a problem.

In addition, if the delay was over 60 minutes and the train was not a local commuter, you are entitled to 25% reimbursement on the ticket price. In cash if you tell you tell you want so, otherwise it's usually in a form of a voucher for rail tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why does it say Istanbul–Sofia when it's a train from Bucharest to Istanbul?
"Istanbul - Sofia Express" is the name of the train, which doesn't have to refer to the real relation of the train (pointed on the sign below). Although it's weird.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #3514
Kpc21

I will write it in a separate post since it's a separate story and already 20 minutes have passed from the previous one.

Once I was travelling from the central Poland to Karlsruhe in Germany. On a Polish intercity train to Poznań, then on the Berlin-Warsaw Express to Berlin, then on a German ICE to Karlsruhe. With three separate online-bought tickets, by the way.

The Polish intercity I took to Poznań got a delay due to problems with doors (it was an almost brand-new Stadler Flirt and it was a very cold day in winter, below -10 deg. C, if I remember well - we call such cases childhood diseases in Poland). Actually, I increased the delay in a way, trying to enter the train through a door which was out of order (there was a sign, but it was too high and I didn't notice it). The door started to open and close all the time. Before the train staff managed to cut the power off from that door and manually lock it permanently, which involved consulting a technician from Stadler on a phone, who was telling them how to do it (it was a new train and they didn't have much experience with it), as well as power cycling the train for a few times (they hoped it will help - what do you do with any modern device in case of problems? first, you power cycle it, and it works for trains equally well as for smartphones), a few tens of minutes have passed, and the train was already a few tens of minutes delayed due to earlier door problems.

So I didn't manage to catch my Berlin-Warsaw-Express in Poznań. In case of a small delay, they would hold it, but it was too long. I had to take the next one a few hours later, so I didn't manage to catch my train to Karlsruhe in Berlin. The PKP customer service office in Poznań changed my ticket to the next BWE without any problems, even though it was an online ticket. Theoretically, that train had no free seats any more, so I didn't get a seat reservation, but I managed to find a free seat on the train, even though it was actually quite crowded. But the PKP ticket lady wasn't able to do anything with the DB ticket for the Berlin-Karlsruhe train.

So I went to the DB Reisezentrum on the Hbf in Berlin. And also without any problems, they allowed me to take the next connection to Karlsruhe, which was an ICE to Hannover and then a night train, from Hamburg to Basel, if I remember well. I only had to pay extra for a seat reservation in this night train, because it was a period when the seat reservation in German night trains was compulsory (and the DB had night trains, which is not the case any more). It was 1.5 year ago.

I applied for a reimbursement at the PKP, and I got it for both the Polish IC and the BWE (the trains for which I bought the tickets at the PKP). The BWE wasn't delayed, but the PKP treated it as a single journey even though I had two separate tickets. Concerning the DB train to Karlsruhe, they directed the case to the DB, because it was them who issued that ticket. The DB told they are sorry, but they cannot give me a reimbursement for their ticket, because they treat it as a separate journey since I had a separate ticket.

Last edited by Kpc21; June 25th, 2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old June 25th, 2017, 05:49 PM   #3515
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

International train travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Is a 60 minute delay such an unusual situation in international train travels?

Many international trains enter Poland already with a delay.

Talking about the connections, in Germany you can normally take the next train when you miss yours due to a delay. Which is, by the way, a legal rule which applies in the whole EU. And the train connections in Germany are frequent, so it shouldn't be a problem.
The golden age of international train travel is gone. I have travelled from Sweden to Italy/Southern France in one go several times. It was possible until 2013 or so, then most of the night trains from Copenhagen to Continental Europe were cancelled like the direct services to Munich, Basel and Prague.

Of course it's good that you can take the next connection if your train arrive late, but what if there is no next train until the next day ? I heard a conversation on the broken down IC-train in Puttgarden. A man said that he was going to miss his night train-connection to Vienna due to his late arrival in Hamburg. Hamburg-Vienna is one of few remaining international night train services btw. What will he do ? Is DSB going to pay for his stay at a hotel due to the delay ?

The Copenhagen-Hamburg service is slow, it's usually late due to technical problems with the trains or bridge repair. A 60 minute delay is way too much even for an international train. 15-20 minutes is ok. Most passengers aboard the danish train I rode this monday were upset and not used to be waiting for such a long time, especially with no information until the "rescue-train" arrived. I think some of the passengers (including me) will pick another way of transport the next time.

I think that taking the daytrain ICE Hamburg-Munich and the connecting nighttrain Munich-Rome, would be a safe option for long distance train travel, but going by train to Hamburg from Sweden in the same day expecting no delay is risky.

The nighttrain Munich-Rome arriving at 6AM in Florence, Italy in 2012
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:19 PM   #3516
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:

Of course it's good that you can take the next connection if your train arrive late, but what if there is no next train until the next day ? I heard a conversation on the broken down IC-train in Puttgarden. A man said that he was going to miss his night train-connection to Vienna due to his late arrival in Hamburg. Hamburg-Vienna is one of few remaining international night train services btw. What will he do ? Is DSB going to pay for his stay at a hotel due to the delay ?
In fact in this case it's DB, in the person of the station master in Hamburg that should help him, and put him up in a hotel somewhere.
Then later he can also claim a refund, from DSB...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #3517
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
In fact in this case it's DB, in the person of the station master in Hamburg that should help him, and put him up in a hotel somewhere.
Then later he can also claim a refund, from DSB...
Yes, I can confirm that. On a long haul, from Istanbul to Mechelen, Belgium, I got stuck twice. In Belgrade, when the overnight train to Villach (cancelled since) had already departed, Serbian Railways put us up in a sort of guest house of their own on the station premises. Not luxury, but quite good. Then the next day, the train departing in the morning for Munich (cut into several separate trains since) had bustitution and we got stuck in Villach. ÖBB provided a bus to Munich, and DB there put us up in the 4star station hotel. Did not even want to continue my journey...
Having said that, many rail companies nowadays have become more stubborn, inlcluding DB. When I asked for a refund for my 6 hour delay Berlin - Burgas, Bulgaria, DB argued that as the ticket was split into several sections, this did not qualify as a continuous journey. I had to appeal to the Federal Railway Agency (EBA) to get my money back. So do not take &%$ from the companies, know your rights, ask for the next best connection or if need be a hotel, and do not panic if there is a missed connection.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #3518
Kpc21

Quote:
Of course it's good that you can take the next connection if your train arrive late, but what if there is no next train until the next day ?
Then they usually hold the train to which you want to change at the station, until your train arrives.

The problem is when the delay is something like an hour, holding the train so long would make the other passenger quite unhappy and maybe unwilling to use the railway the next time they travel.

I am not sure about this, but from what I know, the DB pays for the accommodation in such a case.

It is here: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/mdb/bahni...gastrechte.pdf

But the lack of information is a big problem, the Polish railway also suffers from that for years. Although it's improving. A few years ago they opened a website which shows all the train delays in Poland and shows their reasons: https://portalpasazera.pl/en/Trasa

This moment you have there, for example, a Vienna-Warsaw-Gdynia train. The website records only the delays in Poland, but it shows that it entered the country with 39 minutes of delay. This moment it's behind Warsaw with 47 minutes of delay (a delay has increased, but it's understandable, a delayed train cannot cause other trains get delayed, so it sometimes has to let them through and wait till the tracks are free) and it's expected that the delay will be reduced to 40 minutes until the train reaches Gdynia.

The reasons are shown as:
Quote:
ROLLING STOCK FAILURE
DELAY BY FAULT OF OTHER INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGER
OTHER CAUSES RELATED TO RAILWAY LINES MAINTENANCE
OTHER CAUSES RELATED TO RAIL OPERATOR OPERATIONS
DELAY BY FAULT OF OTHER INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGER
DELAY BY FAULT OF OTHER INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGER means that the train got delayed before it entered Poland. OTHER CAUSES RELATED TO RAILWAY LINES MAINTENANCE means probably that it would probably be able to reduce the delay, but it was not possible because of some track renovation works.

Although you sometimes see just OTHER CAUSES RELATED TO RAIL OPERATOR OPERATIONS and you must guess what the reason could be. Probably they failed to prepare on time the train for the departure, maybe the train driver was late at work, or whatever. But if it mentions "rail operator", it's definitely not infrastructure-related.

Or the Budapest-Warsaw train. It entered Poland with 11 minutes of delay with a comment "Delay by fault of other infrastructure manager". Then it reduced the delay to 9 minutes, but it got increased to 23 minutes - with a comment "Delay by fault of other infrastructure manager". But later the delay got increased because of a signalling failure.

There is also a Wisła-Katowice-Warsaw intercity train, which has a comment "Delay by fault of other infrastructure manager". How, when it's a domestic train? Well, it's marked as a "secondary disruption". It got it in Katowice. So, it was probably hold there waiting for the passengers of the delayed train from Budapest or from Vienna.

I think the delay standards are different in different countries. I have heard - no idea how much truth is in it - that the Dutch trains are never delayed. A delay of a few minutes is already unusual. In Poland, people always claim that the train are always late, and that it's typical for our country, that in "more civilized countries" it's much better. But a few days ago, I was reading a blog of a German man who travels by the Polish railway much (he works in Warsaw, or something like that) and he claims that the Polish trains "always have delays, same as the German ones".

Maybe it's a matter of the country dimensions. The Netherlands are small in size, so it's easy not to have delays.

Another thing is that in the past, everything in the railway was much easier organizationally, because there was "just the PKP", "just the DB" and so on. Now you have a separate company responsible for the tracks, a separate one for the long-distance passenger trains, a separate one for the freight trains, the PKP does not operate the local trains in Poland at all any more, and so on. The railway power infrastructure is the next company, the railway telecommunications infrastructure - another one... And sometimes it's difficult for them to reach an agreement when it's needed.
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3519
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
Having said that, many rail companies nowadays have become more stubborn, inlcluding DB. When I asked for a refund for my 6 hour delay Berlin - Burgas, Bulgaria, DB argued that as the ticket was split into several sections, this did not qualify as a continuous journey. I had to appeal to the Federal Railway Agency (EBA) to get my money back. So do not take &%$ from the companies, know your rights, ask for the next best connection or if need be a hotel, and do not panic if there is a missed connection.
Was it a single ticket just for a few trains, or a few separate tickets?

Maybe I should have appealed to the German EBA too. I was actually consulting it with the Polish UTK (Railway Transport Office), and they couldn't help with that as they had no influence on the DB. Although I know they are very efficient in solving such problems with the Polish train operators.

By the way, I can see that the EBA in Germany takes care of the bus passengers too. In Poland it's not the case - they are represented only by the general customer rights institutions, which are not so efficient.
Old June 25th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #3520
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

It was Germany bought tickets EuropaSpar until the last possible Hungarian station, then country by country tickets also by DB until Burgas. There were reservations for two trains connecting to each other. EBA was very helpful.
By the way, Doc, thanks for the pics. Also the Romanian coach to Sofia is much improved compared to past years. And your deluxe Romanian sleeper was not available either when this train ran before. Sadly, the many years of bus replacement service and dissecting the train into several services has apparently reduced ridership. This used to be a fairly okay used train.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote