daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #3561
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

Still better than the Białystok - Kaunas train, connecting Poland with Lithuania, being such a short diesel multiple unit, a typical regional train, with only one toilet, although the connection takes almost 5 hours:

Verso, Jobber, mrsmartman liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #3562
Kpc21

As it influences the international traffic to, I'm copying this information also here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
There is no trains between Rastatt and Baden-Baden, which also means no trains between Karlsruhe and Strasbourg/Freiburg/Basel.

The reason:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

They are building a tunnel for the high speed trains underneath the current tracks and something has collapsed...

The closure is for a week.

Bustitution for the long-distance trains between Karlsruhe and Baden-Baden. The German long-distance and regional trains end from both directions in Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. The tram-trains from the north (from Karlsruhe) end in Rastatt, the tram-trains from the south (from Achern) are bustituted between Baden-Baden and Achern. There is no replacement for the local trains between Rastatt and Baden-Baden, those passengers must use the bustitution for the passengers of the long-distance trains.

The TGV trains from Paris through Strasbourg to Germany have a detour through Saarbrücken und Mannheim, they don't stop in Strasbourg and Karlsruhe.

Gusiluz liked this post
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #3563
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

^thanks for the news.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #3564
Kpc21

The closure will be for longer than a week. They are saying "up to 2 weeks" now, but it can extend even to a few months or longer.

The shape of the replacement transport has changed.

1. The trains to Paris - as before - go through Mannheim and Saarbrücken.
2. There are special replacement ICE trains between Baden-Baden and Basel.
3. Some of the ICE trains from the country reach Rastatt, but some end in Karlsruhe, or even in Mannheim. The passengers from those must change to trains that go to Rastatt.
4. The section with no train traffic is Rastatt - Baden-Baden. There are replacement buses every 6 minutes, the travel time is 25 minutes.
5. The passengers with regional and KVV tickets may also use long-distance trains, the passengers with long-distance tickets may also use regional trains and tram-trains.

If someone, coming from Germany, wants to reach Strasburg, there are two options. Either reach Rastatt, use the replacement transport to Baden-Baden, then catch any regional or ICE train. Leave the regional train in Appenweier or the ICE in Offenburg. Catch there a local train (of the SWEG company) to Strasburg. They go every hour, or sometimes even every half an hour, during the day.

Or, alternatively, use the local public transport (best are regional trains R51 and then R52, although a tram-train would also do the job, there are also some direct regional train connections, but it's like one train in a day, or something like this) to reach Lauterbourg, and there catch a French regional train to Strasbourg (unfortunately, there is only something like 6 of them in a day - but then it's, at least, without "Schienenersatzverkehr").

To Paris, catch the rerouted TGV/ICE train in Mannheim.

To Basel, just reach Rastatt, use the replacement bus, and take the next ICE. A regional train with a change in Offenburg will also do the job, but then it's likely to take more time.

If you want to take any train from Baden-Baden southwards, but you can't use the replacement bus (e.g. you need to carry a bicycle) - an option is to take the tram-train of the line S8/S81 from Karlsruhe (S81 leaves from one of the station platforms, S8 from the square in front of the station building) or from Rastatt (a faster option if your train reaches Rastatt), take it to Kuppenheim (from Rastatt it's just two stops) and then catch the bus 243 to Baden-Baden, which goes every hour. I am not sure if the train ticket will be accepted on the bus, the best idea is to ask at the station. I am also not sure how crowded those buses might be given those train problems, and therefore if it's possible in practice to carry a bicycle in them. The official replacement buses are bound to be very crowded, so it might be a good idea to try to catch a normal line bus.

For a totally train-only connection, take the same tram-train to Freudenstadt (be careful as some of them reach only Forbach not going further to Freudenstadt). There, you can catch a local train to Offenburg. But this connection may take 3 hours, as it involves using slow local trains through mountain areas (although you may, at least, like the views). You can also go through France using the mentioned before train from Lauterbourg to Strasbourg, but I don't know how it would be with accepting the tickets for a trip not involving France at all by the French railways.

The timetables of the special replacement trains: https://www.bahn.de/blitz/view/mdb/t...ensperrung.pdf

Last edited by Kpc21; August 14th, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #3565
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

You might add for passengers from or to Zürich: consider bypassing the area by going to Stuttgart and then taking the route from there via Schaffhausen. Or, again rather to make it a scenic trip, and ticket acceptance could be an issue, head for the Bodensee at Friedrichshafen and sail across, taking a Swiss IC from the other side...

Kpc21 liked this post
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #3566
kokomo
Selfie Selfie!

Likes (Received): 18433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
After 6 years there will be again passenger trains running between Slovenia and Italy next year (Ljubljana–Trieste–Venice).
Hi, my I wonder why has there not been any passenger train between two neighboring countries in Europe for such a time? sounds strange

El populismo NO hace obras. Entrega subsidios

Attenzione! Allontanarsi dalla linea gialla

Mi último reporte de viaje: Un invierno en el Mezzogiorno. Sicilia y el sur de Italia por kokomo
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #3567
Kpc21

Because it requires international cooperation, which is always difficult, especially regarding financing such a line.

The same is with the connections between Poland and the neighboring countries - many of the long-distance connections have been closed in the last years. There are still some railway border crossings with no service, even by regional trains. Even though they are quite needed for the local traffic.

Try to get from Nowy Sącz or Krynica-Zdrój in Poland to Slovakia by public transport. Let's say, to Kosice. No way without long detours. Even though there are roads, there is even a railway.

From Kraków or Zakopane. To Poprad or Kosice. In this case, there is no railway, but at least a bus service would be a good idea. But the only bus service on this route (that means, between Zakopane and Poprad only) is operated from 16 June to 15 October. Out of this period - forget about any reasonable connection. You must take a local minibus from Zakopane to Łysa Polana (which is quite frequent - although not necessarily out of the season - but it doesn't respect any timetable) and then a Slovak bus from Tatranska Javorina to Poprad, which is just a few buses in a day. And it's still very good that the stops of both buses are very close to each other, probably something about 200 m (I have never crossed this border in such a way by myself, although I would like to do it). At other border crossings it is sometimes e.g. a few km or more.

Only recently the company Leo Express (being also a train operator, by the way) announced that they open a new line from 29 August - from Warsaw through Kielce, Kraków, Nowy Sącz, Poprad, Kosice to Budapest.
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #3568
kreden

Likes (Received): 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
Hi, my I wonder why has there not been any passenger train between two neighboring countries in Europe for such a time? sounds strange
Trenitalia was not interested in/capable of servicing the line while the needed modification of Slovenian trains to be able to run on the Italian signalling system was cost prohibitive.

Kpc21 liked this post
kreden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #3569
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
You might add for passengers from or to Zürich: consider bypassing the area by going to Stuttgart and then taking the route from there via Schaffhausen. Or, again rather to make it a scenic trip, and ticket acceptance could be an issue, head for the Bodensee at Friedrichshafen and sail across, taking a Swiss IC from the other side...
The issue here is that Zürich - Stuttgart is currently also partly bustituted. This because of planned engineering works. So the scenic route via Romanshorn it would have to be...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #3570
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
There're passenger trains running between Ljubljana (SLO) and Villa Opicina (I), but there're no passenger trains between Villa Opicina and Aurisina (or Trieste). They could've at least arranged service between Ljubljana and Venice by changing trains in Villa Opicina.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #3571
kokomo
Selfie Selfie!

Likes (Received): 18433

Thanks for the answers. I had in mind that, in general, the cross boundary regional trains (such as Barcelona-Cerbere) were the norm and not the exception. I must confess that my last train in Eastern Europe was 20 years ago and I remember taking trains easily from Prague to Vienna or even Budapest, so I considered that was fairly standard for the rest of the countries too.

Especially now within the UE flag flying almost everywhere, cheers

El populismo NO hace obras. Entrega subsidios

Attenzione! Allontanarsi dalla linea gialla

Mi último reporte de viaje: Un invierno en el Mezzogiorno. Sicilia y el sur de Italia por kokomo
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #3572
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
There're passenger trains running between Ljubljana (SLO) and Villa Opicina (I), but there're no passenger trains between Villa Opicina and Aurisina (or Trieste). They could've at least arranged service between Ljubljana and Venice by changing trains in Villa Opicina.
And to make matters worse, the tram service between Trieste and Villa Opicina is suspended since last year due to an accident.

Bertolt Brecht

Kpc21 liked this post
arctic_carlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #3573
Kpc21

What accident was it, so that they haven't fixed it for such a long time?

In Łódź we have now such a situation with a suburban tram (between Konstantynów Łódzki and Lutomiersk) suspended already for a few months, but it could be fixed already months ago - the problems are money and lack of cooperation between different municipalities (at the moment it's so that Konstantynów says a small repair will be enough, but Łódź, which runs the trams there, says a bigger renovation is necessary and they won't run the trams there unless it's done).

Another thing is that the replacement bus is anyway faster than the tram, and this line goes to a village, which doesn't really have to be serviced with a tram, which goes there anyway only once an hour.

But Italy, at least its northern part, seems to be "a bit" more civilized than Poland.

arctic_carlos liked this post
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #3574
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
On 16 August 2016, trams 404 and 405 were involved in a collision at the passing loop at Conconello on the upper section of the line. Both cars were badly damaged, whilst eight passengers and both drivers were injured, with six requiring hospital treatment. With only three cars in operational condition, service on the line was suspended and replaced by a bus service. The two damaged cars were repaired by early 2017, but in early July of that year authorisation had not been given to reopen the line.

Bertolt Brecht

Kpc21 liked this post
Old August 16th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #3575
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

Either with bus replacement or tram (I am sorry it is not running), the tram terminus and the railway station in Villa Opcina are 1.3 km apart; not much you might say, but not much fun when walking with suitcase in hand in the summer heat.... It is also not well marked. There are some less frequent buses that stop closer to the station (but not within sight of the trains, disorientation problem too and you have to know where to get off), such as line 4.
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #3576
Kpc21

The question is, why won't they, at least, extend those regional trains to Villa Opicina, so that they could reach the Trieste main station. The reason might be the routing of the railway, causing that, if I see well, they would have to make a big detour through Nabreżina.

There is also Nowa Gorica, where the station is located just next to the border with Italy and with the city of Gorizia.
Old August 18th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #3577
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Nova Gorica and Gorizia themselves don't really need trains between each other, but it would be interesting to have direct trains between Jesenice and Gorizia where you could also continue to Trieste or Venice.

eu01, Kpc21, Ugo Fantozzi liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #3578
Ugo Fantozzi

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I had in mind that, in general, the cross boundary regional trains (such as Barcelona-Cerbere) were the norm and not the exception. I must confess that my last train in Eastern Europe was 20 years ago and I remember taking trains easily from Prague to Vienna or even Budapest, so I considered that was fairly standard for the rest of the countries too.

Especially now within the UE flag flying almost everywhere, cheers
In the Past there were many international trains.But today they are "low" and replace by bus/plan (more cheaply).
But in the future I hope that return train thanks to High-Speed Rail.
I think track as Milano-(Parigi)-Londra or (my dream) Reggio Calabria-Naples-Rome-Florence-Geneve-Marseille-Barcelona in one day
The principal problems are the "conflict" with foreign country (for example on Venezia-Villach by OBB it isn't sold Venezia-Udine because for the Antitrust it is "a violation of competition" why Trenitalia receive state aid for regional trains )
The second problem,which is linked to the first, is obstructionism of foreign dignitaries (such as SNCF with the trip Milan-Marseille by Thello).
The third question is the problem that with rail safety standards and tension are different in Europe. But in this case there are new multisystem trains that support 3KV,25KV ecc...
Ugo Fantozzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #3579
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Fantozzi View Post
The principal problems are the "conflict" with foreign country (for example on Venezia-Villach by OBB it isn't sold Venezia-Udine because for the Antitrust it is "a violation of competition" why Trenitalia receive state aid for regional trains )
This is striking. Here in Spain you can buy tickets on a Barcelona - Paris TGV to go from Barcelona to Girona, within Spain. There are even some coaches in the TGVs reserved for those passengers and tickets have the same reduced fare (Avant) that is applied elsewhere in Spain for regional high speed trains.

Bertolt Brecht

Ugo Fantozzi liked this post
Old August 19th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #3580
Ugo Fantozzi

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_carlos View Post
This is striking. Here in Spain you can buy tickets on a Barcelona - Paris TGV to go from Barcelona to Girona, within Spain. There are even some coaches in the TGVs reserved for those passengers and tickets have the same reduced fare (Avant) that is applied elsewhere in Spain for regional high speed trains.
IMHO in the future UE Commission will sanction Italy for this.
For example on Thello Milan-Marseille it is possibile buy Marseille-Nice
but for SNCF it is impossibile sell Bardonecchia-Milan
Ugo Fantozzi no está en línea   Reply With Quote