daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:05 AM   #3601
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Wouldn't Berlin be a more logical destination ? There is already a 1520 mm gauge line coming deep into Poland, so there would be less distance to cover, wouldn't it ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:39 AM   #3602
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I am highly against this project.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:18 PM   #3603
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Wouldn't Berlin be a more logical destination ? There is already a 1520 mm gauge line coming deep into Poland, so there would be less distance to cover, wouldn't it ?
The broad gauge track to which you refer in Poland serve Sławków. The straight-line distance between Sławków and Berlin is 483 km.

The straight-line distance between Košice in Slovakia and Vienna is 365 km.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM   #3604
MarcVD

Ok, distance-wise you are right, I stand corrected. But what about Ukraine ? Are the current (and not likely to disappear any time soon) difficulties between Ukraine and Russia not capable to compromise smooth transit over this line ? Does the 1520 mm Magistrale to Poland come off Ukraine or off Belarus?
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:56 PM   #3605
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
The broad gauge track to which you refer in Poland serve Sławków. The straight-line distance between Sławków and Berlin is 483 km.

The straight-line distance between Košice in Slovakia and Vienna is 365 km.
The other reason why going to Vienna makes sense is that this connects with the Rhine - Main - Danube axis, which going to Berlin doesn't.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 01:47 PM   #3606
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Does the 1520 mm Magistrale to Poland come off Ukraine or off Belarus?
In Poland there are several short broad-gauge lines, but the longest one is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hrubie...wy_LHS_railway

it enters Poland in Hrubieszów from the Ukraine. Belarussian border is not far to the north, and a big transport hub Brest is less than 200 km from this line, but there is no broad gauge connection.

There is broad line from Belarus which ends in a transport hub on Polish side in Małaszewicze, not far from the border. Never heard of plans of broad-gauge connecting Małaszewicze to Hrubieszów-Sławków line.

On the other side China is pushing hard on the southern connection China-EU bypassing broad-gauge regions. Not sure if the broad-gauge extension to Vienna will transport much if China manages to send containers via Iran and Turkey.
Grzegorz.Janoszka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM   #3607
Suburbanist
on the road

Why not extend the standard gauge networks in the other direction, then?

Silly_Walks, arctic_carlos liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 02:44 PM   #3608
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz.Janoszka View Post

On the other side China is pushing hard on the southern connection China-EU bypassing broad-gauge regions. Not sure if the broad-gauge extension to Vienna will transport much if China manages to send containers via Iran and Turkey.
You are right but I don't see this happening before Turkey proposes a clear and practical alternative to the Van Lake crossing, and before political unrest ceases in Kurdistan. Also, Pakistan is Indian gauge so transloading still is necessary. So going through ex CIS countries still is, and for long, the only practical way. I suppose you do not think about an east-west link through Afghanistan and the Wakhan corridor ?
Old September 3rd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #3609
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why not extend the standard gauge networks in the other direction, then?
Indeed... With the proposed Vienna terminus, one could fear that containers will travel by rail only eastwards of it, and use the road for the other, shorter leg.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:02 PM   #3610
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
You are right but I don't see this happening before Turkey proposes a clear and practical alternative to the Van Lake crossing, and before political unrest ceases in Kurdistan. Also, Pakistan is Indian gauge so transloading still is necessary. So going through ex CIS countries still is, and for long, the only practical way. I suppose you do not think about an east-west link through Afghanistan and the Wakhan corridor ?
Pakistan has thoughts of converting to standard gauge over the coming years. It is also proposing a rail connection up through Jammu to occupied Uighurstan.

Then the biggest remaining gap will be in eastern Iran. Hopefully that will get resolved at some point. The tracks are there, they just need to be opened.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:03 PM   #3611
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

For China/Europe freight rail has and will always have a marginal role and mostly for special shipments where delivery time is crucial. Sea shipment is vastly cheaper and has greater capacity. Largest container ships cary about 20,000 containers. How many trains would be needed to carry the equivalent? If we assume 50 containers per train it's 400 trains and even if one could send two of those per hour 24 hours per day (probably impossible) it would still take more than 8 days just to send them on their way.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:09 PM   #3612
Sunfuns

If there is a desperate desire to avoid Russia by rail the most logical and easiest way considering the current political situation would be coastal China-Urumqi-Kazakhstan (or Kyrgizstan)-Uzbekistan-Turkmensitan-Iran-Turkey-Bulgaria-Romania-Hungary-Austria.

Sadly crossing India/Pakistan border will not be feasible any time soon and neither will safely crossing Afghanistan.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 04:11 PM   #3613
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Thank god for boats.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:36 PM   #3614
Suburbanist
on the road

From geopolitical reasons, any of these routes would be problematic if they became the main route for China-Europe freight traffic (not to say they'd have to be 4-tracked and electrified all the way).

Comparisons with transcontinental railway shipping in North America are really out of place, in that sense.

If merely gas and oil pipelines already gives plenty of headaches with unstable and or anti-West countries like Russia, imagine letting Iran becoming the gatekeepers of import/export flow.

Furthermore, ocean shipping is cheap for non-time sensitive cargo. Once global warming reduces even more ice conditions in the Arctic, shipping from China to Europe will become even faster around Russia than via Suez.

Augusto liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:52 PM   #3615
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Pakistan has thoughts of converting to standard gauge over the coming years. It is also proposing a rail connection up through Jammu to occupied Uighurstan.

Then the biggest remaining gap will be in eastern Iran. Hopefully that will get resolved at some point. The tracks are there, they just need to be opened.
Which gap in Eastern Iran ? The line Kerman Zahedan was already operational till Bam when I was there in 2009 and was fully opened a few years later, I don't remember exactly when. There have been demonstration trains between Karachi and Istanbul already. The connection to the Afghan border is operational too. Which other gap might that be ?
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3616
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
If there is a desperate desire to avoid Russia by rail the most logical and easiest way considering the current political situation would be coastal China-Urumqi-Kazakhstan (or Kyrgizstan)-Uzbekistan-Turkmensitan-Iran-Turkey-Bulgaria-Romania-Hungary-Austria.

Sadly crossing India/Pakistan border will not be feasible any time soon and neither will safely crossing Afghanistan.
There are passenger trains crossing the India Pakistan border daily at two different locations. But there are no connections between China and India by rail, and unlikely to happen, given the terrain to cross, and the difficult - to say the least, they were almost at war a few weeks ago - relations between the two countries.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 08:26 PM   #3617
Sunfuns

Quote:
There are passenger trains crossing the India Pakistan border daily at two different locations. But there are no connections between China and India by rail, and unlikely to happen, given the terrain to cross, and the difficult - to say the least, they were almost at war a few weeks ago - relations between the two countries.
China to India could also happen via Myanmar, but sure it's not to be expected any time soon.

There used to be a time few decades ago when it was safe to travel overland to India from Europe. There even was a bus line used by hippies starting in Amsterdam. Now it would be a very risky endeavour. Unless maybe by roundabout way via China and South East Asia.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #3618
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Which gap in Eastern Iran ? The line Kerman Zahedan was already operational till Bam when I was there in 2009 and was fully opened a few years later, I don't remember exactly when. There have been demonstration trains between Karachi and Istanbul already. The connection to the Afghan border is operational too. Which other gap might that be ?
I knew the tracks were done, but I had heard that trains weren't running or were extremely erratic for some reason.

The fact that there have been Karachi-Istanbul demonstration runs is totally new to me. Do you have any pictures?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:59 PM   #3619
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
China to India could also happen via Myanmar, but sure it's not to be expected any time soon.

There used to be a time few decades ago when it was safe to travel overland to India from Europe. There even was a bus line used by hippies starting in Amsterdam. Now it would be a very risky endeavour. Unless maybe by roundabout way via China and South East Asia.
I still hope I will be able to do that in my lifetime. I still have 10 years, after that I'll be too old.
Old September 4th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #3620
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I knew the tracks were done, but I had heard that trains weren't running or were extremely erratic for some reason.

The fact that there have been Karachi-Istanbul demonstration runs is totally new to me. Do you have any pictures?
No I don't have pictures. I searched the web but could only find press articles, no pictures. You may have some luck in the Iranian railways thread. I think it was in 2012, but not sure.