daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3681
sotavento

Likes (Received): 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
I read about it. It seems ÖBB knew they would never make it to hamburg, took off nonetheless and was eager to turn about and head back the same night "for logistic reasons". The report I read though says passengers were kicked out in Nuremberg (as your picture would suggest), far south of where the rail lines were closed down. This indeed looks like a purely profit-oriented decision.
A couple of years back the "sudexpresso" to and from Lisboa-Irun was navigating the Linea del Norte main route in castilla (spain) and somedays the intermediate section was by bus ind the middle of the night with both extreme sections by the night trains suck at each side of the gap ... and some other days there were so few passengers that they just send them all by bus from one end to the other... the entire 1000km sitting in a BUS when you paid for a couchete or a sleeper.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #3682
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

The surprising bus replacement services for the Sudexpresso are still a common problem - even in 2017.
It's not always quite clear what the reason was.
Sometimes travellers have to change to a bus exactly at the border station between Portugal and Spain.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #3683
touya

Likes (Received): 15

I was going thru Directive 2016/2370 (the 4th RP directive that liberalizes open access services in all member states) and I saw this:

Quote:
‘5. Member States may also limit the right of access to railway infrastructure for the purpose of operating domestic passenger services between a given place of departure and a given destination within the same Member State where:

(a) exclusive rights to convey passengers between these stations have been granted under a public service contract awarded before 16 June 2015; or
(b) an additional right/authorisation to operate commercial passenger services in competition with another operator between these stations has been awarded by 25 December 2018 on the basis of a fair competitive tendering procedure;

and where these operators receive no compensation to operate these services.

Such a limitation may continue for the original duration of the contract or authorisation, or until 25 December 2026, whichever is shorter.’;
It seems something put in to grandfather some existing arrangement.
I'm not aware of any case like this in Italy, or, rather, such a device seems rather moot for Italy given that the domestic market is already liberalized (you just need to get a national license).
Could it be that it was meant to protect the Franchise system in the UK (point B seems to protect the few open access operator that managed to access the railway network in the UK on corridors already served by franchises)?
touya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #3684
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
A couple of years back the "sudexpresso" to and from Lisboa-Irun was navigating the Linea del Norte main route in castilla (spain) and somedays the intermediate section was by bus ind the middle of the night with both extreme sections by the night trains suck at each side of the gap ... and some other days there were so few passengers that they just send them all by bus from one end to the other... the entire 1000km sitting in a BUS when you paid for a couchete or a sleeper.
They are under works in part of line.

You could ask for a refund in these cases. Normally they know that less than half of people ask for refund... but system works (if you bought in Spanish web with card, you can ask for refund online and cash is back in a couple of days just with ticket and card number)

San Sebastian-Hendaye is out of service due to upgrade for HSL. Only operates Lisbon-Hendaye and Vigo-Hendaye. Rest of trains until San Sebastian and free commuter to Irun. Expected until October 2018 or so

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #3685
cle

Likes (Received): 524

San Sebastian is such a bitch to get to. A TGV from Paris via the new line to Bordeaux must be a compelling idea.

In other news - test run!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...12/20/advanced - expires in about a week...

timetabled at 3h50 with 17 mins layover at Brussels but no Rotterdam stop. As we've seen, Schipol and Antwerp are out, for now. I wonder if that could come down to 5 mins in Brussels and another 3-4 penalty for Rotterdam - nothing non-stops there after all. Would bring it to 3h45 or less, which is really nice.

Unsure about pre-Brussels stops which could add time too. Lille calls I think are on all current Brussels ones - and post-Brexit, BRU demand may slide further. Looks like it did a ghost call at Ebbsfleet, took it up to 4hr flat.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #3686
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
San Sebastian is such a bitch to get to. A TGV from Paris via the new line to Bordeaux must be a compelling idea.

At the moment, all trains (except night one Lisbon-Hendaye and day one Vigo/Coruña-Hendaye) ends at San Sebastian. You are entitled to take local euskotrain network with same ticket and it reach Hendaye.

This means the three regional trains Vitoria-Irun, long-distance Barcelona-Zaragoza-Hendaye and Madrid-Valladolid-Hendaye and... commuter train which ends at San Sebastian too. They are refurbishing line for high speed.
As far as Euskotrain has less schedules than commuter train, there are some extra buses in early morning and late night.

Plans are:

the Basque "Y" is being finished. This will mean starting in Miranda, later Vitoria, it will join Vitoria-San Sebastian/Bilbao (and Bilbao-San Sebastian) with an Y.

In the case of San Sebastian it was supposed to have a station out of the city to let it approaching border.

As far as France will take some time to have HSL until Hendaye, trains will go until here
https://www.google.es/maps/place/San....9812313?hl=es

more or less, and will use current line to approach Irun and Hendaye. As far as between Irun and San Sebastian there is Iberian gauge, a line able for both gauges at the same time (not first time in Spain to have it) is u/c.

SNCF has released trains required for service in Atlantic line and seems there will be four daily Paris-San Sebastian (instead of ending at Hendaye but crossing border), one of them enlarged until Bilbao.

No custom facilities are being built.

Estimated date, october 2018

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)

cle liked this post
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:40 PM   #3687
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10937

San Sebastián station-French frontier

The new San Sebastián station will be next to the current one, in the center of the city.

The trains that will not pass through San Sebastian will be those of freight.

At the same time that the new HSR called Y Vasca, is adapting to mixed gauge the two tracks between San Sebastian and the border to allow the entry of French TGV trains that will have to have power at 3 kV.

The system to extend the Gaintxurizketa tunnel allowing, at the same time, the circulation of trains. Very curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusiluz View Post
Creo que no se ha comentado aquí, y me parece algo interesante.

Es conocido que se está instalando ancho mixto en ambas vías entre Astigarraga (al Sur de Donosti) e Irún. Ello implica el aumento de sección en el túnel de Gaintxurizketa, y hay que hacerlo de forma compatible con la circulación de trenes por el tramo. Pocos: sí, pero alguno queda.
Entre los motivos que obligan al aumento de sección se me ocurre que uno de ellos será porque al circular sobre una vía más estrecha las cajas sobresalen más, aparte de que será necesario que la catenaria esté más alta para los TGV Océane, y porque las normativas europeas (ETI) obligan a un mayor gálibo, que vendrá muy bien al tráfico de automóviles.

El túnel de Gaintxurizketa, con una longitud de 536 metros, tiene sus bocas en los kilómetros 634,387 y 634,923 de la línea Hendaya-Chamartín, entre Lezo-Rentería y Ventas de Irún.
En las zonas de acceso y en el interior del túnel se han realizado las actuaciones necesarias sobre catenaria, vía y demás instalaciones de seguridad quedando apta para la circulación la vía I que se ha ripado y colocado en el centro del túnel.

Para la excavación mecanizada es necesaria la utilización de una máquina específica (tuneladora D-835-TES) cuya característica principal es que establece una nueva sección del túnel independizando y protegiendo la circulación de los trenes por la misma.
Digamos que se convierte en una especie de huevo protector que permite la circulación por su interior ¡¡¡con catenaria y todo!!!

Los trabajos se realizarán durante las 24 horas durante la fase de excavación y ampliación de la sección con la máquina.

El avance de la máquina irá condicionado a la longitud de avance especificada en cada sostenimiento tipo.
Se realizarán los siguientes pasos para cada longitud de avance especificada:

2.1 Demolición de la bóveda y hastiales actuales, excavación para la ampliación de la sección del túnel, y proyección de una capa de sellado en la sección resultante de la excavación.
2.2 Ejecución del sostenimiento del túnel con cerchas y hormigón proyectado según proyecto.
2.3 Montaje de un vallado de ocultación para la circulación de trenes en el tramo del túnel.
2.4 Evacuación de materiales procedentes de la excavación por las calles de trabajo en el interior del túnel con maquinaria KUBOTA R065.

Coccodrillo liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:24 AM   #3688
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Thank you. This system has already been used to enlarge two tunnels (on the same line) in Germany, but in this case on a non electrified line. However it similar cases it is more common to build a new single track tunnel and reuse the old one for the other track, without enlarging it.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 12:45 AM   #3689
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 813

A trip report on an 11 hour long rail journey from Berlin Main Station to London St Pancras in First Class, changing both in Frankfurt and Bruxelles Midi from ICE to Eurostar:

Enjoy!

Short, Ugo Fantozzi, KingNick, EduardSA liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:21 AM   #3690
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about services between Germany and France. I'm planning a European rail trip later in the year and one of the most important legs would be Frankfurt to Paris. When I search the fares I see there is a direct ICE service between Frankfurt and Paris. And also a direct TGV service. How does that work? Do those services utilize the maximum speed of the Strasbourg-Paris line which is 320km/h?

I'm not really looking for overall fastest or cheapest route but want to get the service that achieves highest top speed and is the coolest to ride on. My original idea was to change trains in Strasbourg.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:36 AM   #3691
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Now that the Portuguese reopened their railway services to the Spanish border, are there plans to run daytime trains again between Madrid and Lisboa?
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:40 AM   #3692
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I have a question for those who are knowledgeable about services between Germany and France. I'm planning a European rail trip later in the year and one of the most important legs would be Frankfurt to Paris. When I search the fares I see there is a direct ICE service between Frankfurt and Paris. And also a direct TGV service. How does that work? Do those services utilize the maximum speed of the Strasbourg-Paris line which is 320km/h?

I'm not really looking for overall fastest or cheapest route but want to get the service that achieves highest top speed and is the coolest to ride on. My original idea was to change trains in Strasbourg.
The direct ICE service runs via Saarbrücken and joins the HSL at an intermediate junction. The TGV runs via Strasbourg.

Pansori liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 02:07 AM   #3693
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The direct ICE service runs via Saarbrücken and joins the HSL at an intermediate junction. The TGV runs via Strasbourg.
Nice to know that, thanks. Does ICE reach 320km/h anywhere on that route?
Old January 1st, 2018, 05:14 AM   #3694
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6794

There are also ICE going via Karlsruhe and Strasbourg.

This is kind of a joint offer of the DB and the SNCF. The trains have German and French staff each, and I believe, a ticket bought both from DB and from SNCF can be valid for any of those trains.

According to this: http://www.badische-zeitung.de/offen...108445269.html also the ICE drive 320 km/h in France. Those are ICE-3 trains that can reach the maximum speed of 330 km/h, although the maximum used in practice is 320 km/h in France (in Germany it's not more than 300 km/h).

Here is a video about this route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-RsQb0T3Ws - it's in Polish (even though made by a German man, pity that they don't do English subtitles), but you can see the pictures at least.

Pansori liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; January 1st, 2018 at 05:20 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 01:03 PM   #3695
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks Kpc21, that's very helpful. I'll have to decide on the exact route and service but it will have to be 320km/h from Strasbourg to Paris

My plan is to go from Lithuania to Portugal all the way by train. I would also welcome any advice on any other stretches of the route.
Old January 1st, 2018, 04:01 PM   #3696
Kpc21

Great plan! So you will have to go through Poland too

On the stretch to Warsaw you don't really have any choice (and you are lucky that there trains between Lithuania and Poland are finally back, even though they are regional trains only in a very limited offer), then the Berlin-Warsaw Express and an ICE from Berlin to somewhere around Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Karlsruhe are rather an obvious choice.

Unless you want to try some other routes, maybe go through Czech Republic or anything like that, maybe somehow else through Poland (there exists also e.g. an option via Dresden - but it will be much slower on both the Polish and the German side), but it will elongate the travel time quite a lot.

Even though currently, on the route of the Berlin-Warsaw Express, there is quite a big detour through Inowrocław because of a closure between Września and Konin.

If you have any specific questions about the Polish section, then ask.
Old January 1st, 2018, 04:52 PM   #3697
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
maybe somehow else through Poland
Indeed. As the route through Central Poland doesn't pass through particularly interesting landscapes, you could try the more northern route, like that:
TLK 18104 Bialystok - Szczecin
dep. Bialystok 05:43, arr. Szczecin 16:51
and than by local train to Berlin.
It is possible to make this northern route in some 14 hours, I'd recommend making some stops though. The TLK train passes through beautiful Masurian region with its forests and lakes and via Gdansk. As an alternative, from Olsztyn you can go via Torun and Poznan, depending on amount of time you can use.

Kpc21 liked this post
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:14 AM   #3698
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Travelplan-Reiseplan

Do you still get a timetable (Reiseplan) with your ticket when you go with the international trains from Germany ?

Reiseplan for the IC 83-train "Paganini"

Reiseplan for the IC 89-train "Leonardo da Vinci"

Information about arrivals and departures at the stations along the Munich-Verona train service. Do you still get such a timetable with the ticket today?

A DB international train-ticket.

Ugo Fantozzi liked this post

Last edited by NordikNerd; January 2nd, 2018 at 11:32 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 06:29 PM   #3699
Kpc21

For sure you can log in to the on-board WiFi network, which doesn't provide free internet (at least not in the 2nd class), but it provides you with such a timetable (and some other services).
Old January 3rd, 2018, 06:08 PM   #3700
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Do you still get a timetable (Reiseplan) with your ticket when you go with the international trains from Germany ?
You never got that with your ticket, as tickets are for not for particular trains. But you did, and still do, get them on board the train.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote