daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM   #581
heywindup
BÄNNED

Likes (Received): 6

Yes, if the price matches the budget airlines.
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM   #582
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywindup View Post
Yes, if the price matches the budget airlines.
Budget airlines are very expansive if you decide to travel 14 days prior to departure. Even easyJet charges above EURO 125,- one way.
Maarten Otto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #583
heywindup
BÄNNED

Likes (Received): 6

Are there plans to introduce this route? I've read that DB was planning on starting a Köln - Brussels - London route. Will Amsterdam follow soon?
heywindup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM   #584
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywindup View Post
Are there plans to introduce this route? I've read that DB was planning on starting a Köln - Brussels - London route. Will Amsterdam follow soon?
No plans have been drawn up yet... but If your able do lend me 5 million the service might be running in 2011
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #585
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
[…]

- Train type: Siemens Velaro (better knows as ICE 3)

[…]
Siemens Velaro and ICE 3 are not the same trains!

ICE 3, ICE 3 M and ICE 3 MF are products of Alstom, Bombardier and Siemens. The Velaro is a product of Siemens. Basically there are two types of Velaros: Velaro E and Velaro CN on the one side (in spite of the fact that the Velaro CN is broader than the Velaro E) and the Velaro RUS on the other side.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #586
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post

ICE 3, ICE 3 M and ICE 3 MF are products of Alstom, Bombardier and Siemens. The Velaro is a product of Siemens. Basically there are two types of Velaros: Velaro E and Velaro CN on the one side (in spite of the fact that the Velaro CN is broader than the Velaro E) and the Velaro RUS on the other side.
Didn't knew that actually (living in Netherlands... but not following continental railstuff... I prefere the English bit) But thanks for the clarification
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM   #587
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

I think the lowest journey time possible assuming HSL Zuid is open would be 4h30. The problem is that, even more than London-Paris route, the "land" AMS-LON route is far longer than the air route.

Finally, as a practical matter, British immigration would have to set up booths in Amsterdam and Rotterdam AND (more difficult) NS would have to build dedicated, non-shared and physically segregated platforms as UK is not part of the Schengen area and has the policy to accept inbound trains only if passengers are processed before boarding on the continent.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:56 PM   #588
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think the lowest journey time possible assuming HSL Zuid is open would be 4h30. The problem is that, even more than London-Paris route, the "land" AMS-LON route is far longer than the air route.
Yes but more then 90% of it is at speeds in acces of 300 km'h. Amsterdam to Brussels Via HSL-Zuid is little less then 2 hours, same goes up for Brussels to London... so 4 hours or even 3:50 can be done.

Quote:
Finally, as a practical matter, British immigration would have to set up booths in Amsterdam and Rotterdam AND (more difficult) NS would have to build dedicated, non-shared and physically segregated platforms as UK is not part of the Schengen area and has the policy to accept inbound trains only if passengers are processed before boarding on the continent.
True... but don't forget it was the British government who sold their part in Eurostar to allow Open Acces operations on High Speed One between London and the continent. So they will probably have thought about this aswell. Furthermore All three main parties (Tory, Labour and Libdem) aim to reduce carbon emissions....
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM   #589
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

I would totally consider this.

The plane takes about 1h, but you spend a lot of time getting to and from the airports, standing in lines, waiting. I prefer to just sit on a train, and work, read, watch a movie, etc.

The problem with the current connection is that you cannot book Thalys and Eurostar in one ticket. You can book a regular Amsterdam-Brussels IC and a Eurostar in one ticket, but that takes almos an hour longer. In brussels you have to take 30 mins extra for the chckin procedures of the Eurostar. All these factors make the train an unattractive alternative currently.

There are about 60 flights between Amsterdam and London daily (one way). I think you could fill three trains.

Is there a reason not to stop in Brussels and Antwerp?
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:33 AM   #590
gregwtravels

Likes (Received): 0

I did the train journey London - Amsterdam in February. Even with the transfer and extra time required for Eurostar check-in, was more convenient for me than flying because I live a 10 minute walk from St. Pancras. So given that I have already done it on the two trains, I would of course do it again on one train.

As for pricing, £49 one way is decent. For a maximum price, I would think you could still get riders at £200 - last minute walk-ups and folks with expense accounts. I just checked London - Paris for tomorrow morning, and they are charging £179 one-way.
gregwtravels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM   #591
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwtravels View Post
I did the train journey London - Amsterdam in February. Even with the transfer and extra time required for Eurostar check-in, was more convenient for me than flying because I live a 10 minute walk from St. Pancras. So given that I have already done it on the two trains, I would of course do it again on one train.

As for pricing, £49 one way is decent. For a maximum price, I would think you could still get riders at £200 - last minute walk-ups and folks with expense accounts. I just checked London - Paris for tomorrow morning, and they are charging £179 one-way.
The reason for not calling in Brussels and Antwerp is due to "Open Acces" regulations which indicate that ANY one is allowed to run trains from ANY station to ANY station aslong as the Train Operating Company (TOC) wich has a contract (in this case Eurostar) doesn't serve the same route and wouldn't lose (too many) ridership. Antwerp is a point of debate Becouse Antwerp does contribute a significant numbers of Eurostar customers.

The number of Dutch people using Eurostar is below 1% since the service started more then ten years ago.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #592
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
OR the UK could just get rid of this stupid policy.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #593
Maarten Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
OR the UK could just get rid of this stupid policy.
I think - in time - they have no choice as it is costing them an awfull lot of money. Same goes up for the Pound... Giving it up and replacing it for the Euro would save the average household about 40 pounds a year.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #594
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwtravels View Post

I also have done this trip before, several times in fact. Loving to travel by train as I do anyway, I found the journey time to be more than acceptable, and this was before the opening of HS1 and HSL-Zuid.

So now with the route being HS all the way through, even with the change of trains at Brussels I'm sure than many people who are not instinctively train-friendly would consider a London-Amsterdam rail trip over the airline option.

It would be important to price such a journey competitively, but I'm sure that the respective train operators would do so.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM   #595
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
I think - in time - they have no choice as it is costing them an awfull lot of money. Same goes up for the Pound... Giving it up and replacing it for the Euro would save the average household about 40 pounds a year.

My thoughts exactly. Like many things that are European in focus, Britain, or I should say, the UK, will get around to doing them eventually, it's just a question of when.

Are the bookies still taking bets on the issue of the UK joining the Euro?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM   #596
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4735

4 hours seems a bit too long.
That kind of train should stop only in Brussels.

But it's possible to have 2 kind of trains:
- London-Lille-Brussels-Antwerp-Rotterdam-Amsterdam
- London-Lille-Brussels-Liege-Aachen-Köln

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
Siemens's name for it's rolling stock is "Velaro"
ICE is a trade mark of DB.

In Spain, Velaro is called "AVE" like other high speed trains.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est

Last edited by eomer; April 23rd, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #597
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Have you ever got the TGV between Paris and Nice?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #598
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

it does sound pretty good. i wud rather do it as i dnt like flying much anyway

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #599
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post

Have you ever got the TGV between Paris and Nice?
i have

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #600
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

The only reason why I mention the Paris-Nice trip is because it shows that HS services can work for journeys of more than three hours, at least for many people. I'm sure there will be some that don't wish to be on a train for that long, but for the London-Amsterdam market, I'm sure they'll be more than enough people willing to watch the world go by out of a train window.