daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #721
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
So all of this was common practices some 15-20 years ago, in many parts of the European Union. Only the British seem to make a big deal out of it these days.
Immigration, terrorism and other threats were far less significant back them. And Britain has always been... an island. Pretty much more used to border controls than Germany, Italy, let alone the Benelux.

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #722
Belxos

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
The passport check is really not that big of a deal. I used to live in Austria close to the German border, in the pre-Schengen times. We had (and still have) regional trains that would go over the border to Lindau, which was a popular destination for the weekend or shopping. There you would leave the train, pass through a room, where they quickly checked your documents and that was all. And this wasn't even a big train station, it was merely a local one.
That doesn't solve the luggage problem: Eurostar scans all luggage (Eurotunnel regulations I believe). If you would allow passengers on-board without checking their luggage you would have to search the whole train at the border.

Off course, it is a whole unnecessary parade (there are a bazillion other ways to sabotage a train or the Eurotunnel), but regulations won't change overnight just because they don't make sense.
Belxos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #723
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
And Britain has always been... an island. Pretty much more used to border controls than Germany, Italy, let alone the Benelux.
And where's the logic in that? Germany has/had thousands of border stations, whereas Britain has far less. Obviously the vast majority of people enters an island either by plane, by ship and in Britain's case by train. That means the number of places where people immigrate is naturally limited. Whereas a landbound country offers countless ways to enter.

I'm currently in a town right next to the Swiss border. This town alone has three border stations with Switzerland. So don't tell me that border controls are something that only the British are accustomed to.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #724
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Immigration, terrorism and other threats were far less significant back them.
Actually terrorisme was a bigger threat in the 70ies and 80ies than it is now. Remember the IRA?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #725
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Immigration, terrorism and other threats were far less significant back them.
Nonsense. Despite the media hype of Islamist terrorism, terrorism in Europe today is far less significant than it was an odd 30-40 years ago. The IRA, the Brigate Rosse, the ETA... Our homegrown terrorism was very violent and influential then. Much more so than the Islamic version today. Even the Netherlands got hit by terrorism sprung from it's old colonies.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #726
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

To remain at the subject, what train type do you think would fit the bill most? Velaro, AGV or an upgraded Hitachi class 395?
Maarten Otto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM   #727
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
To remain at the subject, what train type do you think would fit the bill most? Velaro, AGV or an upgraded Hitachi class 395?
Velaro has a head start here. The sets currently being delivered to DB could be used for such a service.

Whoever starts such a service will have to take a (calculated) risk. That is easier for DB, which could use the trainsets elselwhere if the service fails to attract enough passengers.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM   #728
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

As I posted in the Fyra topic: the new railway section that's being laid out between Brussels and Mechelen (so towards Antwerp) will allow for speeds up to 200km/h, but it'll have to slow down to like 140km/h halfway due to the switching points towards Brussels Airport and later on when they leave the median of the E19. So all in all they'll hardly be riding 200km/h, but at least it'll be possible.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:39 PM   #729
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
As I posted in the Fyra topic: the new railway section that's being laid out between Brussels and Mechelen (so towards Antwerp) will allow for speeds up to 200km/h, but it'll have to slow down to like 140km/h halfway due to the switching points towards Brussels Airport and later on when they leave the median of the E19. So all in all they'll hardly be riding 200km/h, but at least it'll be possible.

Greetings,
Glodenox
This is because this line is not built as a high-speed line but mainly as an
additional line for the domestic network whose main role will be to serve
the airport and relieve the extreme traffic congestion that exists in this
area. The focal point of attention is capacity, not speed, which only
comes as a by-product.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:17 PM   #730
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 926

As for trainsets, currently ICE3 fulfills all the legal and technical requirements for all the countries along the route.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 02:10 AM   #731
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Good news.

Quote:
Eurostar set to buy new trains

July 22, 2010

EUROSTAR is in talks with German manufacturer Siemens to renew its fleet of cross-Channel trains from 2012, according to reports.

Le Figaro says the train operator wants to replace some of its ageing trains, which were built by French firm Alstom and have been in service since the route launched 16 years ago.

The group will shortly put the project out to tender, but is understood to have shown a keen interest in Siemens.

Alstom's German rival has sold its high-speed Velaro trains to Spain, China and Russia so far.

Eurostar has 28 trains operating on the routes to Paris, Brussels, Avignon and the Alps from London. It is not yet clear how many of these are to be replaced.

A source familiar with the project told Le Figaro that the Siemens trains were "more luxurious" and would allow Eurostar to offer a better service, especially to business class passengers.

In an interview with The Connexion last November, Eurostar France head of marketing Lionel Benbassat said: "The first renovated train will come into service in 2012 and the project will be completed by 2016."

The improvement works will also prepare the rail operator for the opening up of the cross-Channel line to competition.

Deutsche Bahn is reported to be interested in running services to London from the continent in time for the 2012 Olympics.

French public services giant Veolia is also in the running, in a joint venture with Italian train operator Trenitalia.

Siemens Velaro - On the rails worldwide (PDF)

Velaro D

Source
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; July 23rd, 2010 at 02:23 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #732
Koen Acacia

Likes (Received): 1917

[British accent]Not bad, not bad at all![/British accent]

I wonder what their passenger numbers for 2010 are going to look like, with that ash cloud it must have been a killer year for them.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM   #733
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen Acacia View Post
[British accent]Not bad, not bad at all![/British accent]

I wonder what their passenger numbers for 2010 are going to look like, with that ash cloud it must have been a killer year for them.
On the flop side, their trains suffered during winter with a 5-days cancellation and there was that accident in Brussels with a local train that forced the cancellation of many Brussels services for 2 or 3 weeks.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #734
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen Acacia View Post
Eurostar just released their numbers for the first half of 2010. Passenger numbers are up 6%, revenue 18%...
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #735
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Eurostar just released their numbers for the first half of 2010. Passenger numbers are up 6%, revenue 18%...
Those are good news for the heavily indebted corporation. Hope they increase fares and thus revenue in the second half of 2010 too.
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #736
K_

Quote:
Those are good news for the heavily indebted corporation. Hope they increase fares and thus revenue in the second half of 2010 too.
Eurostar has only been a corporation since the beginning of this year. Until that it was just a joint venture between SNCF, NMBS and EUKL. The Eurostar corporation doesn't have a lot of assets though, as they don't own the trains. So I asume they wouldn't be heavily indebted either. Maybe you're a bit confused with Eurotunnel?
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #737
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Quote:
Here's the thread :

Saving Eurotunnel
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=222122

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #738
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Here's the thread :

Saving Eurotunnel
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=222122
Eurostar is not Eurotunnel. Eurostar is just one of the customers of Eurotunnel...
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #739
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Eurostar is not Eurotunnel. Eurostar is just one of the customers of Eurotunnel...
I was referring the reader to the Eurotunnel thread for more info on that heavily-indebted corporation. There was some confusion over Eurotunnel and Eurostar.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #740
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Likes (Received): 0

Not a chance to the Thread question - love trains but at 4 hours even with the hassles of flying it's much quicker - 40 mins and even with allowing and hour and a half at each end being ridiculous 3hrs 40 mins - so can't see 4 hours being a winner. The straight line distance between the 2 cities isn't much further than it is to Sheffield and on this route we might be bowing to planes straight line superiority over water. Can't see it taking off personally!
RichW1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote