daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #1121
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I didn't say they should be obliged to do that, just that I hoped it happened. Optional reservation trains have the disadvantage of creating some conflicts when the train is full and some passengers refuse to shop around for free seats (or no seats at ll) to give up their place to the one who reserved the seats.
The potential for conflicts is however rather low. Normally it is visible at the seat if it is reserved (and from where) and I have never had a problem getting my reserved seat, nor have I had witnesses someone else having this problem.

Allowing passengers without reservations on the train has the advantage of making more money for the railway company, as it increases the value of the more expensive flexible tickets, so passengers are more likely to buy them.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1122
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Neither Amsterdam, nor Rotterdam have the facilities for this, nor is it possible to provide them.

It they intend to compete with Thalys on the Köln - Brussel route it's only logical to open the Frankfurt - London trains to passengers for Frankfurt or Köln to Brussel.
Well take it up with DB then.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1123
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan View Post
Well take it up with DB then.
Well, DB will first have to take it up with ProRail. I don't see how they will be able to get exclusive access to a platform in Rotterdam or Amsterdam for long enough that watertight passenger screening can be set up.
Old November 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1124
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I didn't say they should be obliged to do that, just that I hoped it happened. Optional reservation trains have the disadvantage of creating some conflicts when the train is full and some passengers refuse to shop around for free seats (or no seats at ll) to give up their place to the one who reserved the seats.
Those conflicts also happen when a train is all reservational.
Some passengers are stupid and don't read their ticket properly and so they just take a seat where they want.
I had this once on a Eurostar.
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1125
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

I have read of passengers choosing the right seat number but the wrong carriage; or passengers choosing the right seat number and the right coach but...on the train of the following day

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1126
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Maybe Pro-Rail could negotiate with DB and/or HSA and build some underground platforms in Rotterdam. Or they could make a stop in the middle of nowhere where passengers would be unloaded, processed and then boarded to England.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #1127
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4267

Quote:
Good to know they are not planning to allow non-reserved seats to be used on such routes, though it has nothing to do, necessarily, with immigration requirements (you could still book last-minute and pay a fortune for the privilege of travelling on the spur of the moment).

I only hoped they adopted this scheme to all their international IC trains, dropping the possibility of travelling without reservation.
WTF, thats on the the biggest advanatges of intercity rail travel. You can just show up at the rail station and take the next train. If you missed the train because you wanted to have lunch then just take the next one.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #1128
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
WTF, thats on the the biggest advanatges of intercity rail travel. You can just show up at the rail station and take the next train. If you missed the train because you wanted to have lunch then just take the next one.
One thing doesn't preclude the other. With automated ticket machines, you can change your ticket in 30 seconds - paying the change penalty if your ticket was an advanced-purchase discount or so.

In any case, London-Frankfurt services will not be commuter services, but indeed long-distance services that might be used by some as commuter solutions, more or less like air shuttle operations. Without compulsory reservations, you could end up with a situation in which someone has to travel standing in the aisle for 3 hours. Worse, you could have passengers sneaking into 1st class with 2nd class tickets because 2nd class is full.

Full flexibility exists only with private vehicles, be it a car, a private jet or an yacht
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1129
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1781

Yep, free marketeer manipulates the market to suit his own dogma.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1130
Suburbanist
on the road

Ultimately I'd like to see a pre-registration system for anyone boarding trains to/from outside Schengen area, more or less like we have such systems for UK-bound or US-bound planes: without previous (harmless, 3 minutes) registration (that will be cross-checked with terrorism international database), you just can't board a plane to these countries, and I think it should be the same for trains UK-bound.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #1131
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
...and I think it should be the same for trains UK-bound.
It's already the case.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1132
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I have read of passengers choosing the right seat number but the wrong carriage; or passengers choosing the right seat number and the right coach but...on the train of the following day
I've seen the first happen quite a lot to people. In the four times I've used the Eurostar, I've already had about 8 people who asked me whether they were in the correct carriage... Usually they weren't.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1133
K_

Quote:
Ultimately I'd like to see a pre-registration system for anyone boarding trains to/from outside Schengen area, more or less like we have such systems for UK-bound or US-bound planes: without previous (harmless, 3 minutes) registration (that will be cross-checked with terrorism international database), you just can't board a plane to these countries, and I think it should be the same for trains UK-bound.
Of course sanity could break out in the UK, and the security theater dropped.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1134
K_

Quote:
Maybe Pro-Rail could negotiate with DB and/or HSA and build some underground platforms in Rotterdam.
Underground platforms for a handful of trains a day? They'll be laughing for days if you suggest that. Prorail doesn't build any infrastructure unless it's going to be used by at least a train per hour.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1135
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
I've seen the first happen quite a lot to people. In the four times I've used the Eurostar, I've already had about 8 people who asked me whether they were in the correct carriage... Usually they weren't.
The problem is that some people aren't used to paying attention to the carriage numbers while on the platform.
Maybe it would be better to do away with assigned seats, and just do as some low cost arilines do: You just take a seat you fancy. As long as you don't board more passengers as there are seats that is not really a problem.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1136
K_

Quote:
In any case, London-Frankfurt services will not be commuter services, but indeed long-distance services that might be used by some as commuter solutions, more or less like air shuttle operations. Without compulsory reservations, you could end up with a situation in which someone has to travel standing in the aisle for 3 hours. Worse, you could have passengers sneaking into 1st class with 2nd class tickets because 2nd class is full.
The thing is that if DB wants to have a chance of making money on these trains they have to carry enough passengers. So they will integrate these trains in their domestic network and also carry Frankfurt - Köln or Köln - Aachen passengers on them. On these routes you can't work with compulsory reservations. Not if you want customers.

Last edited by K_; November 29th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #1137
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 926

I hate the way the French behave in this matter:

- First they offer AGV
- They lose against Velaro
- Then suddenly they claim only their 20 y.o. TGV fulfills the safety standards

Oh, wait a minute, why did you offer your AGV then, which according to your very own claim, doesn't fulfill the standards either?
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1138
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
I hate the way the French behave in this matter:

- First they offer AGV
- They lose against Velaro
- Then suddenly they claim only their 20 y.o. TGV fulfills the safety standards

Oh, wait a minute, why did you offer your AGV then, which according to your very own claim, doesn't fulfill the standards either?
Hear, hear, my sentiments exactly
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1139
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The problem is that some people aren't used to paying attention to the carriage numbers while on the platform.
Maybe it would be better to do away with assigned seats, and just do as some low cost arilines do: You just take a seat you fancy. As long as you don't board more passengers as there are seats that is not really a problem.
This would be good, I had difficult last year seating myself next to someone as we had to buy different tickets (I needed a combined ticket to bristol, he just wanted london to brussels). In the end we had to buy them simultaneously on different computers asking for adjacent seats.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1140
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

There are two separate issues really. One is passport checks, the other x-ray machines.

The x-ray machines are supposedly there to check for bombs. Yet, for what? If anyone wanted to bomb the Channel Tunnel they could just take one through in a car. If they wanted to bomb the London tunnels, they could take one on an HS1 domestic service. They offer no value - yet if they must be used, the Spanish have managed to show how it can be done on any platform with a portable machine.

The question of passports is not going to go away, but one could ask why it has to be done on leaving countries in the Schengen area? It has been suggested that St Pancras is designed for passport checks upon arrival as well as departure. This seems a far more sensible approach and is - after all - the way it is done with air travel.

That's the only way I see Eurostar's mainline European destinations expanding.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote