daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #1441
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
The longest platform at Amsterdam Centraal is 685m, Amsterdam Zuid currently has platforms that are 395m and 430m long. Both stations are able to accommodate the long trains. But I haven't seen any information about the station they will be using.
I didn't mean length-wise, but more in terms of the capacity for the train being able to dwell for 45 mins or however long it needs. And there could be a e* and a DB train both wanting the same time slot.

The higher numbered platforms at Centraal seem likely. I wonder if two trains could sit in the same platform at A and B ends- if they're both divided to be 200m each. Might be confusing with two London trains in the same platform - but if they could consolidate passport and security in bursts, it might make sense.

Would six departures a day justify the cost? I hope so, I can't wait!
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1442
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph1951 View Post
Yes, I just used a "popular" expression.

However, I was trying to point out that, it comes to train performace and comfort, it is important not to confuse the "packaging" with the "content".

In any case, transfers can be applied very easily and quickly.. and more tha once.
No you didn't use a popular expression, you said leak of paint. As you are no fun here is a picture to illustrate.

Old September 26th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1443
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post
Is Geneva confirmed? Won't the journey times be a bit lopsided, compared to Amsterdam? Lyon seems more balanced. Geneva is about an hour more.
Travel times don't need to be "balanced". I see a lot of potential for a Geneva - London. (I'm sure going to make good use of it)
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1444
joseph1951
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by makita09 View Post
No you didn't use a popular expression, you said leak of paint. As you are no fun here is a picture to illustrate.

nice..."burst pipe".

joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1445
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63135

Quote:
I didn't mean length-wise, but more in terms of the capacity for the train being able to dwell for 45 mins or however long it needs. And there could be a e* and a DB train both wanting the same time slot.

The higher numbered platforms at Centraal seem likely. I wonder if two trains could sit in the same platform at A and B ends- if they're both divided to be 200m each. Might be confusing with two London trains in the same platform - but if they could consolidate passport and security in bursts, it might make sense.

Would six departures a day justify the cost? I hope so, I can't wait!
Centraal should have the capacity, although I don't think that 2 trains at the same time will be possible. But I don't think that will happen anyway since they have to coordinate the available slots on the HSL Zuid anyway.

Amsterdam Zuid doesn't allow for longer dwelling times, it only got 2 platform tracks in both directions and both are needed for the regular NS timetable. It will become an option in the future when another platform is constructed, but that depends on a much bigger plans concerning not just the railway line but the whole area surrounding the station.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1446
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Centraal should have the capacity, although I don't think that 2 trains at the same time will be possible. But I don't think that will happen anyway since they have to coordinate the available slots on the HSL Zuid anyway.
I think the furthest platform (Ij side) is currently used for the Thalys service. I suppose Fyra to Brussel will use that too. That means that Prorail /HSA could plan a half hourly path from that platform to the HSL Zuid and Belgium. One 250 kph every hour, that Fyra uses, and one hourly 300 kph one, that can be used by Thalys - Eurostar - DB.
Would give each train a long enough dwell time.
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1447
cle

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Travel times don't need to be "balanced". I see a lot of potential for a Geneva - London. (I'm sure going to make good use of it)
They will need to synchronise journey times and dwells so that the return journey portions can re-attach in Lille, or wherever and head through the tunnel.
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1448
K_

Quote:
They will need to synchronise journey times and dwells so that the return journey portions can re-attach in Lille, or wherever and head through the tunnel.
The service to Geneva is going to be a Eurostar service, not a DB service. Eurostar has ordered 400m long Velaro D trains, and does not intend to split/join trains en route like DB does.

So they don't have this issue. They do have another issue though: How to fill a 400m long train in Geneva...
Eurostar could add stops at CDG and Lille, and try to get some of the Switzerland - Belgium traffic too.
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1449
China Hand

Likes (Received): 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I f France can outwit the British, more power to em. Thats what happens when Britain becomes a little America.
I do believe it is the obverse, as it was the British who were copied by the USA. My first language isn't English because the American Empire conquered Britain in the 17th C...
China Hand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1450
cle

Quote:
The service to Geneva is going to be a Eurostar service, not a DB service. Eurostar has ordered 400m long Velaro D trains, and does not intend to split/join trains en route like DB does.

So they don't have this issue. They do have another issue though: How to fill a 400m long train in Geneva...
Eurostar could add stops at CDG and Lille, and try to get some of the Switzerland - Belgium traffic too.
Good point, my bad. DB will need to balance Amsterdam and Cologne/Frankfurt.

I think Geneva seems an obvious one to merge with the Disney service as an extension. Mopping up a Lille stop is another purpose - and there may be also potential on the Lille-Geneva market which isn't served directly except for the odd ski night train.
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1451
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle

Good point, my bad. DB will need to balance Amsterdam and Cologne/Frankfurt.
It is on hour more from Brussel to Frankfurt then from Brussel to Amsterdam... What DB could however do is put Amsterdam - Frankfurt trains in the same vehicle pool. That would enable them to avoid long idle times. And it would avoid empty moves to get the Amsterdam -London trains back to Germany for maintenance.
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1452
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
It is on hour more from Brussel to Frankfurt then from Brussel to Amsterdam... What DB could however do is put Amsterdam - Frankfurt trains in the same vehicle pool. That would enable them to avoid long idle times. And it would avoid empty moves to get the Amsterdam -London trains back to Germany for maintenance.
Most train sets used on Amsterdam-Frankfurt-(Basel) service belong to HSA/NS, not to DB.
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #1453
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Was thinking exactly this, but will the loons at UK Border Control allow a train that was originally a Frankfurt - Amsterdam service then become an Amsterdam - London service?
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1454
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist

Most train sets used on Amsterdam-Frankfurt-(Basel) service belong to HSA/NS, not to DB.
NS owns only 4 train sets. Most are DB-owned.
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1455
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63135

According to Wikipedia NS now owns just 3 sets after they sold 1 to DB last year.

And even though the 3 are owned by the NS they are practically DB sets. They are maintained by the DB and can be used freely by the DB on any of their ICE 3 services, as long as they provide enough ICE 3Ms for the Amsterdam - Frankfurt service.

As for the ICE 3 Velaro D for the London services, we could see them every know and then on the Amsterdam - Frankfurt services. But it doesn't have to be necessary to prevent empty rides to and from Germany. They could easily change the direction of the trains in London, I mean that the train from Frankfurt to London will go back from London to Amsterdam and vice versa.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #1456
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Oh that's right, NS sold the remains of the set that crashed at Zevenaar back to DB. DB used those remains with the remains of another crashed set to form a new ICE-3.
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1457
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
NS owns only 4 train sets. Most are DB-owned.
I thjought it were 6...
Old September 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1458
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435
And even though the 3 are owned by the NS they are practically DB sets. They are maintained by the DB and can be used freely by the DB on any of their ICE 3 services, as long as they provide enough ICE 3Ms for the Amsterdam - Frankfurt service.
The NS sets are regularly used on Frankfurt Brussel services too.
Old October 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1459
Gadiri

Likes (Received): 6981

Quote:
Eurotunnel tests Alstom Prima II locomotive in Channel Tunnel
3 October 2012

Eurotunnel has conducted a trial run of the Alstom Prima II locomotive in the Channel Tunnel to check its compatibility and safety standards before it is used on freight trains.

The tests are part of a plan to standardise locomotives on rail freight services between the UK and Europe.

TSI-compliant Prima II locomotives were used in standard configuration for the tests, hauling wagons with a total weight of 950t.

The freight trains are being hauled by Class 92 locomotives, built for use through the tunnel, however the trains are not approved for use on the French Rail Network (RFF).

Groupe Eurotunnel chairman and chief executive officer Jacques Gounon said: "Gaining authorisation for new rolling stock is an essential part in the development of the open access approach implemented by Eurotunnel."

Eurotunnel is seeking to encourage open access and, in July 2012, obtained an agreement from the Intergovernmental Commission Safety Authority that technical specifications for interoperability should be applied to freight trains running through the Channel Tunnel.

Alstom Prima II locomotives are also compatible with both ERTMS and ETCS and able to travel using four different power supplies, including 25kV, 15kV, 1500V and 3,000V.
http://www.railway-technology.com/ne...channel-tunnel

FBI Says 94% of Terrorist Attacks in the US Since 1980 Are by Non-Muslims

Gadiri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1460
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

These announcements only raises questions for me:
Wasn't there a rule that both ends of the train must be manned in case of emergency? So did they use 2 locomotives for this test (One at either end of the train)?
What difference does this make? A Prima II will probably be to big for UK loading gauge, so you still need to change traction to get anywhere in the UK. This is just like a class 92 that isn't allowed on Frances rail network, because it doesn't have KVB.
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote