daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1501
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

For sure not, but I'd rather know the longest service running on a at least daily basis and not just every now and then.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:43 AM   #1502
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
For sure not, but I'd rather know the longest service running on a at least daily basis and not just every now and then.

Lisboa-Paris sudexpresso daily =1700km

1000km in a talgo in PT/ES
+
700km in a TGV in FR
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:16 AM   #1503
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15450

But you have to change at Hendaye.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #1504
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Nice-Moscow is not daily, for sure, but it's not "every now and then" either : it's once a week, all year long, as far as I know.

There is now a Paris-Moscow too, whose frequency varies with the period of the week, but which is never less than weekly either.

On a daily basis, what about the new Thello service Paris-Rome ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #1505
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Basel-Copenhagen and Basel-Warsaw is a daily service.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:39 PM   #1506
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
But you have to change at Hendaye.
That's the problem with HSR nowadays ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:50 AM   #1507
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Ok, back to the topic!

Anyone know what is the longest regular passenger service in Europe? I know there is Basel-Moscow service, albeit only one carriage attached to Copenhagen train. Anything significantly longer than that?
In 2009 I saw an international train in Cologne with one waggon destined for Moscow Bielorusskaja. Also saw a russian waggon on the Basel-Copenhagen train when boarding in Mannheim in 2011. I think they detach the waggon in Hannover where it is attached to the Paris-Berlin night train.

There is (or used to be) a direct train Nice-Moscow.

The longest I have travelled continuously by train (with changes) is Linköping-Porto Maurizio & Jekaterinburg-Moscow.

This was very wearisome. Also rode the Copenhagen-Basel service which is the longest I have travelled continuously with train without feeling fed up with it.

Last edited by NordikNerd; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1508
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 926

Moscow - Nice is still running once a week. It departs in Moscow on Thursday noon and arrives in Nice on Saturday noon. The opposite train leaves Nice on Saturday evening and arrives at its destination on Monday late at night.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1509
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What about if were British citizens to want these stricts controls?
I have no doubt that most of them do. (I work with quite a few Brits - in Paris, mind you - who consider the tight controls to board a Eurostar train as a sign of superiority over the silly "continentals".) However, one cannot deny that it chips away at the competitiveness of HS-rail over air traffic. The reason that scores of Parisians take the TGV to various destination in western Switzerland and the Thalys to Amsterdam, although the transport time, at 3 to 3 1/2 hours, is way longer than a plane is that you don't have to waste time in an airport. You can walk straight into the train, your luggage in hand, 2 minutes before departure.

Eurostar does actually ask passengers to show up for check-in at least half an hour prior to departure. Now, 30 minutes are not the end of the world, but it does make the train service less attractive.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1510
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9963

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Moscow - Nice is still running once a week.
Indeed the "new" Riviera Express is once a week, but I heard that they planned to make it a twice-a-week service during summer in the near future.

Its route is 3318 km long, and it serves (among others): Nice-Ville, Monaco - Monte-Carlo, Milan, Vienna, Warsaw, Minsk and Moscow-Belorussky.

And since late 2011, there's the "even newer" Trans-European Moscow Express which is a three-times-a-week service during winter, and a five-times-a-week service during summer.

Its route is 3177 km long, and it serves (among others): Paris-Est, Metz, Frankfurt (am Main), Berlin, Warsaw, Brest (Litovsk), Minsk and Moscow-Belorussky.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #1511
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
(I work with quite a few Brits - in Paris, mind you - who consider the tight controls to board a Eurostar train as a sign of superiority over the silly "continentals".)
Lol, I sense someone missed the underlying sarcasm there.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1512
NordikNerd
Rail & Road traveller

Likes (Received): 1408

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
I have no doubt that most of them do. (I work with quite a few Brits - in Paris, mind you - who consider the tight controls to board a Eurostar train as a sign of superiority over the silly "continentals".)
Eurostar does actually ask passengers to show up for check-in at least half an hour prior to departure. Now, 30 minutes are not the end of the world, but it does make the train service less attractive.
Maybe the tight control is because of the chunnel, you don't want terrorists on that train.

Travelling the eurostar feels very much like checking in to an airport. I was surprised to find this scrutiny on the 2nd floor of the Gare du Nord.

I did not know about it and almost was late for my train because of it.

About long distance trains. There is the Orient Express chartered train London-Istanbul. Check Ameropa for tickets.
NordikNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1513
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
Maybe the tight control is because of the chunnel, you don't want terrorists on that train.
Which begs the question: Why only on that train?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #1514
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post
About long distance trains. There is the Orient Express chartered train London-Istanbul. Check Ameropa for tickets.
Isn't it Paris - Istanbul?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1515
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Aren't all tracks west of Istanbul being under major reconstruction?
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1516
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Isn't it Paris - Istanbul?
It's London-Folkestone by train, Folkestone-Calais by bus and the Eurotunnel, Calais-Istambul by another train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Aren't all tracks west of Istanbul being under major reconstruction?
Yes, all long distance trains now ends outside Istambul, if not even at the Turkish border (even in the mdidle of the night, if the trains happened to cross it at that time).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Verso liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1517
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Yes, all long distance trains now ends outside Istambul, if not even at the Turkish border (even in the mdidle of the night, if the trains happened to cross it at that time).
For the time being, trains go all the way to Istanbul Sirkeci again. But that's
just because works are stopped for the winter season. In March or April,
trains will once again be stopped at the turkish border (Kapikule) and replaced
by a bus for the final leg into Istanbul.

This is because of the installation of the approaches of the Bosphorus
tunnel, which will most likely (not 100% sure yet) cause the closure of the
two Istanbul historic stations. There isn't really a station outside Istanbul
where they can organise the transfer, I presume... A big inconvenience,
since the bus transfer takes place in the middle of the night, around 2AM
or so.

For my part, i'll wait until those works are completed before travelling this
way again...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1518
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
It's London-Folkstone by train, Folkestone-Calais by bus and the Eurotunnel, Calais-Istanbul by another train.
Not was I would call a luxury experience. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to charter a Eurostar to Calais or Lille, then transfer across from there.

Is it that difficult to get passenger carriages approved for the tunnel? If they did that could open up all sorts of options.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:02 PM   #1519
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Is it that difficult to get passenger carriages approved for the tunnel?
Yes!

After nearly 20 years from the opening of the Chunnel, there is only one kind of passenger train approved (the TGV Transmanche, but soon the Velaro e320 will also be approved) and even only one kind of freight locomotive (the Class 92). Then there is a single type of EuroShuttle locomotives and some types of flat wagons and passenger cars for the shuttles, but these cannot run outside EuroTunnel tracks.

Things might change in the future if in the EuroTunnel the TSI specifications will be applied one day (in the alpine base tunnels and in the Seikan tunnel basically any kind of train is allowed, so I don't see why the EuroTunnel should be an exception*).

Being a touristic service I would however bring the passengers by ferry.

*the only problem I am aware of is that the overhead line in the Chunnel is higher than in the rest of Europe so that locomotives have to have special pantographs

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1520
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

There are just 38 Eurostar sets - but this seems to be in excess of requirements, because the six and half North of London Eurostars and also 3 of the 31 Three Capitals Eurostars are now used in French domestic routes.

What are the technical limitations of these 9 and half surplus trains - could they be used to expand services from Great Britain to beyond France?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote