daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1601
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

It is Wikipedia, anyone can update. The maps are also SVG, which makes updating really simple. Presenting maps and geographical information — tips and best practices.

solchante liked this post
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1602
milipumba

Likes (Received): 468

In Denmark a 60+ km long 250 km/h rail line, going from Copenhagen to Ringsted, started construction this year. It is finished in year 2018.

And by 2025 will there be built two other 250 km/h raillines. One at Funen and one in Jutland.
In addition, the main lines will be upgraded to 200 km/h, and it is also by the year 2025.

The higher speeds on the existing lines is achieved with electrification, and conversion of signaling to ERTMS 2. In addition, few curves is being straightened out.
So there should be a few yellow and blue lines, in Denmark, on the map.

So to sum up:
Copenhagen to Ringsted: 250 km/h. New line year 2018.
Ringsted to Fehmarn(Germany): 200 km/h. upgrade year 2021.
Ringsted to Odense: 200 km/h. Upgrade before year 2025.
Odense to Middelfart: 250 km/t. New line year 2025.
Middelfart to Esbjerg: partially 200 km/h. Upgrade before year 2025.
Middelfart to Hovedgaard: partially 200 km/h. Upgrade and new line year 2025.
Hovedgaard to Aarhus: 250 km/h. New line year 2025.
Aarhus to Aalborg: partially 200 km/h. Upgrade before year 2025.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
milipumba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #1603
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
24th April 2013
Safety concerns delay new Eurostar trains

GERMAN train-builder Siemens has admitted that it will not meet the December 2014 target date for delivering new Eurostar trains, apparently because of safety issues connected in part with the Channel Tunnel. But Eurostar said it was still working on the assumption that it could bring at least some of the new 400m 'e320' sets into service in 2015.

This e320 bodyshell was placed on exhibition in London in October 2010.

Siemens has already started testing the sets at its Wildenrath test site in the German Rhineland, and Eurostar told Railnews that 'six and a half' sets have been built, meaning that 13 x 200m individual trainsets have been completed – roughly two thirds of the total order for 10 x 400m trains.

The model number 'e320' is based on the fact that the new trains will have a maximum speed of 320km/h. This will be 20km/h faster than the present fleet, which was built more than 20 years ago.

Eurostar will need these sets to add more routes to its network, because they have been designed from the outset to work through from London to such destinations as Amsterdam and Geneva. Technical issues, mainly connected with signalling and traction current, mean that the present trains are restricted in practice to running in Britain, France and Belgium.

The delays are an embarrassment for Siemens, which is also running behind on a programme to build more ICE sets for Deutsche Bahn.

Siemens board member Roland Busch is reported to have told German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung that "I admit we underestimated the complexity of the contract," and he would not be drawn on a revised Eurostar delivery date.

Herr Busch also pointed out that full compliance with the regulations of several countries was a complex matter, and that "how long that will take is not only dependent on us".

Eurostar in London is remaining optimistic, although the company conceded that its plans for the introduction of at least one e320 into service in early 2015 may now slip back until later in the year, 'when more than one set might be ready for a simultaneous launch,' according to a spokesman.

The shape of the enlarged Eurostar network is also staying uncertain for the moment. Various destinations in Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland have all been suggested, but the company is declining to take the wraps off its ambitions for the time being.

This may be because it is also set to face competition on international services to London from around 2016, when Deutsche Bahn may start running between London, Germany and perhaps the Netherlands too.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1604
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15487

I don´t like the look of the Eurostar Velaros. Pity, because the ICEs for DB and the AVEs for Renfe look brilliant.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1605
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Whats the Capacity of the Eurostar ?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1606
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

The new one will be about 900 or so

The old one is about 760 if I remember correctly
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1607
Sister Greed U

Yesterday I tried the new HSL Barcelona-Figueres Vilafant, I bought a return ticket from Tarragona (Spain) to Perpignan (France).

Surprisingly, comparing with the last time I used that service (before the opening of the Barcelona-Figueres Vilafant stretch), the AVE between Barcelona and Figueres and the TGV between Figueres and Perpignan were quite full.

Moreover, I detected passengers Barcelona-London (at the very least there were fifteen), Barcelona-Brussels (a couple), Camp de Tarragona-Lille (a woman and her little daughter), and Madrid-Perpignan (a family of three plus grandpa and grandma), Camp de Tarragona-Toulouse (a family of three)...
Of course, there were also many Barcelona-Paris and Paris-Barcelona (loads of them).
And I also heard people speaking Dutch and German.
Also a number of Asian and Brazilian tourists.

The most curious is that the Madrid-Figueres Vilafant AVE which don´t have a transfer for a TGV bound for Paris were almost empty between Barcelona and Figueres-Vilafant.

I wonder wether this is the norm right now since the opening of the HSL, or it was just the high peak of May the 1st.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1608
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Moreover, I detected passengers Barcelona-London (at the very least there were fifteen), Barcelona-Brussels (a couple), Camp de Tarragona-Lille (a woman and her little daughter), and Madrid-Perpignan (a family of three plus grandpa and grandma), Camp de Tarragona-Toulouse (a family of three)...
Of course, there were also many Barcelona-Paris and Paris-Barcelona (loads of them).
Good to see that there are still people travelling long distance by train. Now if only RENFE would start realising what a nice network they have...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1609
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

It is quite absurd from a rational point to travel London/Bruxelels-Barcelona by train.

But, again, I myself have driven up to 1670km in a single day between Valencia and Lille...

These are tiny secondary markets (maybe not Toulouse).
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #1610
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Broken record.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1611
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It is quite absurd from a rational point to travel London/Bruxelels-Barcelona by train.
Well, what do you suggest the people who are afraid of airplane, or don´t like airplanes at all, or just want to enjoy the landscape? An asylum?

Quote:
But, again, I myself have driven up to 1670km in a single day between Valencia and Lille...
Oh, so you HAVE done that? What did you do next then, have a depression for having betrayed your principles?

Quote:
These are tiny secondary markets (maybe not Toulouse).
Wait and see. There´s room for a daily Barcelona-London, that´s sure.
And in a shorter travel time than at least two long distance Spanish rail services (Barcelona-Valencia-Seville, and Barcelona-Pamplona-Vitoria-Corunna/Vigo) which happen to be reasonably full, the both of them. Seen as none of these cities is as big as London, nor has the number of flights Barcelona has with London, it´s not unreasonable to think that there´s an unexplored market for rail travel in London-Barcelona.

As for Brussels/Lille-Barcelona, the fact of the (not recent, and still running) existence of a TGV Brussels/Lille-Perpignan shows that there´s a clear market for that too, since Barcelona is much bigger than Perpignan, and it´s located only three stations and less than one hour away from Perpignan.
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1612
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Oh, so you HAVE done that? What did you do next then, have a depression for having betrayed your principles?
My point is: these long-distance trips are a minor travel market - like Netherlands-Portugal leisure car drives.

Question: if they are going to have a Barcelona-London train, will British officers be stationed in Barcelona Sants, Figueres etc?
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #1613
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Eurostar launched a new London-Lyon trial service, on Saturdays in May, it takes 4h45 southbound and 6h00 northbound because people have to leave the train in Lille and check-in again. I doubt there will ever be any significant service outside the three capitals triangle if the UK continues with their entry checks.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #1614
Sister Greed U

Quote:
My point is: these long-distance trips are a minor travel market - like Netherlands-Portugal leisure car drives.
Portugal is not a city. Can you please compare the number of passengers Schiphol-Lisbon, and then the London-Barcelona routes?
Numbers, or I´m not listening to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Eurostar launched a new London-Lyon trial service, on Saturdays in May, it takes 4h45 southbound and 6h00 northbound because people have to leave the train in Lille and check-in again. I doubt there will ever be any significant service outside the three capitals triangle if the UK continues with their entry checks.
If there is a London-Avignon Eurostar service, a London-Barcelona should have at the very least three times the same ridership, and be able to run daily.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1615
K_

Quote:
If there is a London-Avignon Eurostar service, a London-Barcelona should have at the very least three times the same ridership, and be able to run daily.
But they would have to get rid of the boarding check. The only way to really fill a regular London - Barcelona train is for it to also take on Barcelona - Perpignan, Barcelona - Lyon, Barcelona - Lille etc. passengers.
And that can only work if the UK accepts that immigration is performed upon arrival in London, and not by having everyone detrain and then board again in Lille.
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #1616
K_

Quote:
In the late 90ies, just as Spain had joined Schengen I wanted to do a trip to Barcelona. I had intended to do this by train (which could already be done in a bout 9 hours then). I ended up flying because the travel agent couldn't find a way to book me the train from Montpellier to Barcelona.
And herein lies the problem. The main reason why not more people travel long distance by train is that the airlines make it a lot easier to book their services than the railways. The railways really need to make booking long trips easier.
If you're going to travel to a far away place, you're going to dedicate a day to it anyway. I keep hearing people tell me that they wouldn't mind spending 10 hours in a train to get somewhere, rather then spend hours hanging around airports, and then crammed in a claustrophobic airplane. If only they could get a ticket reasonable easy for a good price.

So because of the unwillingness of the railways to sell me a ticket I flew to Barcelona that day, and arrived there with a 12 hour delay (at 3 in the morning) because Iberia had a problem...

Anyway, I now know how to use the system, and now always travel by train within Europe.
The route I travel most, Switzerland to Belgium and the Netherlands isn't significantly faster by plane anyway.

Quote:
You should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1617
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
In the late 90ies, just as Spain had joined Schengen I wanted to do a trip to Barcelona. I had intended to do this by train (which could already be done in a bout 9 hours then). I ended up flying because the travel agent couldn't find a way to book me the train from Montpellier to Barcelona.
And herein lies the problem. The main reason why not more people travel long distance by train is that the airlines make it a lot easier to book their services than the railways. The railways really need to make booking long trips easier.
If you're going to travel to a far away place, you're going to dedicate a day to it anyway. I keep hearing people tell me that they wouldn't mind spending 10 hours in a train to get somewhere, rather then spend hours hanging around airports, and then crammed in a claustrophobic airplane. If only they could get a ticket reasonable easy for a good price.
The longest European flight I can think on HSR territory is London-Napoli. It would take 2h30. Not really a long flight time, most European flights are way shorter than that.

This being said, train ticketing still has problems. They need to adopt something akin to airline GDS systems that allow code-sharing, seat management across different selling platforms and the like. The GDS revolutionized air travel and could do a similar thing for railways if they upgraded their practice as well (such as only-passengers-in-the-manifest-can-travel).

Quote:
The route I travel most, Switzerland to Belgium and the Netherlands isn't significantly faster by plane anyway.
Impossible.

Zuerich - Amsterdam flights take 1h35. The fastest trains linking Zurich to Amsterdam take around 7h50.

Quote:
You should not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle.
That took only 17 hours (it was a good day without any traffic or weather and just 8 few stops, 100% highway-grade driving).
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #1618
K_

Quote:
Zuerich - Amsterdam flights take 1h35. The fastest trains linking Zurich to Amsterdam take around 7h50.
The flight might take only 1h35, but getting from Zürich to Amsterdam by plane will take you at least 4 hours. If you're not leaving from Zürich even more.
Don't compare apples with oranges please...
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1619
K_

Quote:
This being said, train ticketing still has problems. They need to adopt something akin to airline GDS systems that allow code-sharing, seat management across different selling platforms and the like. The GDS revolutionized air travel and could do a similar thing for railways if they upgraded their practice as well (such as only-passengers-in-the-manifest-can-travel).
If trains turn in to "airplanes, but slower" they will lose passengers. Trains capture market by having a lower interface costs than planes. The moment you start using passenger manifests you can no longer just let passengers board trains. Then you need check in procedures, and separation of departing and arriving passengers. This will make trains hugely less attractive, and is exactly what the railways should avoid.
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1620
Sister Greed U

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
But they would have to get rid of the boarding check.
I think that it´s feasible even with the boarding check.

Quote:
The only way to really fill a regular London - Barcelona train is for it to also take on Barcelona - Perpignan, Barcelona - Lyon, Barcelona - Lille etc. passengers.
I don´t think so. I think a London to Barcelona non-stop could fill the train.
The same way tan a Paris to Barcelona certainly would.
Travel time would be shorter than by calling here and there.

Of course, stops would add more passengers to it, but by taking out a small part of the point to point passengers.

Quote:
And that can only work if the UK accepts that immigration is performed upon arrival in London, and not by having everyone detrain and then board again in Lille.
I think this doesn´t matter that much.
If the British want to do it this way, they´re in their right, and I´m ok with it.
I don´t think it´s that important.